The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Another Olympian in the Royal Family; congratulations to Zara.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Majesty

Congratulations to Zara on such a great achievement . She must be ecstatic to be competing on home soil and during such a special year for the whole nation. Well done !

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

I am so happy for Zara that she could join this time. I hope all goes well and I do hope she does win.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is Mark Phillips not the coach of the US Olympic Equestrian team? So he could essentially be working to help those competitors beat his daughter. Might be a bit odd for him.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR
Is Mark Phillips not the coach of the US Olympic Equestrian team? So he could essentially be working to help those competitors beat his daughter. Might be a bit odd for him.
Didn't he get kicked off for dating a player?
Old 06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Zara follows in her parents' footsteps as she is selected for Team GB
Zara Phillips selected for Team GB at London Olympics - hellomagazine.com
Old 06-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Didn't he get kicked off for dating a player?
I'm not sure. I know some people said it would bring his position as coach into question but I hadn't heard if he had actually been removed from the job.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

I'm not sure. I know some people said it would bring his position as coach into question but I hadn't heard if he had actually been removed from the job.
He hasn't been. He's still the chef d'equipe for the U.S. team.

He's retiring after the Olympics though.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Serene Highness

Congrats to Zara!!!!! She certainly deserves it!!!! She has worked hard to achieve her dream, I wish her a lot of luck!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Really amazing for Zara, congratulations to her
It must be really big for Anne too, to get to see her daughter compete in the Olympics just like she did herself.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Expect interest in the equestrian events to be enormous amongst the British people. The nation more or less stopped when the Queen's horse was the favourite for the Epsom Derby last year.

As much as performing in a home Olympics must be amazing and motivating; it must also come with huge pressure, which is probably magnified again when you're the granddaughter of the nation's Queen. Zara's going to have to show enormous mental strength to deal with it all. The Princess Royal is probably the best person to help her with that.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to Zara! What an achievement! I hope she does well at the Games
Old 06-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Majesty

I think her father would be the best person to help her because he has actually been the three games as a competitor and more as a coach and has won medals. Anne went to one games and fell, costing her team of any chance of a medal (which many people at the time believed they would have won had the reserve on that team been in the team instead of Anne - the reserve was Mark).

As good as Anne was the true champion eventer was Mark and Zara has also been coached by her father for a large part of her career because Mark has made his living from coaching eventers and setting event courses, including Olympic standard courses, while Anne has been more involved at the IOC level not the grassroots level of eventing since her retirement.

I am not trying to put down Anne's wonderful achievements but to simply point out that Zara has a better qualified parent in her corner than her mother and that person is her father.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I meant more along the lines of being a 'royal' competing at a Games with all the attendant press attention that follows.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think her father would be the best person to help her because he has actually been the three games as a competitor and more as a coach and has one medals. Anne went to one games and fell, costing her team of any chance of a medal (which many people at the time believed they would have one had the reserve on that team been in the team instead of Anne - the reserve was Mark).

As good as Anne was the true champion eventer was Mark and Zara has also been coached by her father for a large part of her career because Mark has made his living from coaching eventers and setting event courses, including Olympic standard courses, while Anne has been more involved at the IOC level not the grassroots level of eventing since her retirement.

I am not trying to put down Anne's wonderful achievements but to simply point out that Zara has a better qualified parent in her corner than her mother and that person is her father.
I would totally agree with this. I am so happy that she will be on the team. Honestly, in that I'll fitting wedding gown, I thought she was pregnant.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

great great for zara!!! great year for anne too a grandaughter and now zara with this great news!! she sure is so proud!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 06-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Daylife.com picture gallery

'I hope I'm luckier than mum': says Zara at Olympic team unveiling
HelloMagazine.com

Tracksuit, brutal haircut and no make-up: Zara's new look for the Olympics
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1yJqjeT9r

Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Serene Highness

What does Zara do for a job or does she have an inheritance that she lives on? I assume her mother pays for the upkeep of the horses?

LaRae
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Majesty

Zara's job is a professional equestrienne.

She is sponsored very heavily by a number of companies e.g. rolex, landrover etc due to her riding ability. She appears in ads etc for these companies and wears their clothes.

Zara Phillips Topping Olympic Sponsorships - Video Dailymotion
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
What does Zara do for a job or does she have an inheritance that she lives on? I assume her mother pays for the upkeep of the horses?

LaRae
You know her horses aren't all owned by her, right? Toytown was, but her Olympic horse, High Kingdom isn't- he's owned by others, and she campaigns him.