The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
Do the couple have any ties to Edinburgh? It seems a bit random for them.

As far as I can see they have no obvious ties but the church is where the Queen worships when staying at Holyrood and Princess Anne is the patron of Scottish rugby (even though Mike plays for England) so it could be to do with that. Of course Princess Anne and Timothy Laurence also married in Scotland (although at Balmoral and not in Edinburgh). Zara did go to school in Scotland at Gordonstoun as well so maybe the ties are there.

Zara may simply like the church and having a 'royal' wedding in Scotland might help the profile of the royals in Scotland, especially with those Scots who might be seeking independence from England.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcharlie View Post
Do the couple have any ties to Edinburgh? It seems a bit random for them.
the Princess Royal and Tim Laurence married in Scotland. Basically what I see though is the two of them wanting a more low keyed wedding. They've both got very active schedules and just want to be married quietly.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Majesty

Here is a link to the site where it appears that Zara and Mike will be marrying - assuming that The Express has the right information as nothing has been confirmed by either BP or Princess Anne's office.

Canongate Kirk - The Kirk of Holyroodhouse and Edinburgh Castle
Old 01-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Aristocracy

Could it just be because the Queen tends to be in Scotland at they time of year so having the wedding up there makes it easier for her and the ageing Prince Phillip?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
Could it just be because the Queen tends to be in Scotland at they time of year so having the wedding up there makes it easier for her and the ageing Prince Phillip?
She doesn't normally go up there until early August so she will have to go up a week or so earlier.

I think it is more a matter of fitting in the wedding given their sporting commitments and finding a church that they like that they can use, that also has a residence nearby for the family.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Or a good excuse to go up there earlier as the Queen doesn't usually go to Balmoral till August I thought.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
She doesn't normally go up there until early August so she will have to go up a week or so earlier.

The years of the Queen going to Balmoral in early August are long gone, she now goes up after the last of the Royal Garden parties in mid July. The royals stayed in London for the Queen Mother's birthday parade on Aug 4th and then did a cruise of the western isles on Britiannia. With The QM's death and the previous demise of Britannia, she arrives earlier at Balmoral. So early infact that the last 2 years she's had to temporarily move into Craigowan House on the estate as the castle was still open to the public.

Assuming the July 30th date is correct, it does fit in with the Queen's schedule as going by the past few years she'll be at Balmoral on holidays.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

It is possible that they have quite a small family wedding (at Crathie?), followed by a large reception. That sais, I do think it will be at St George's in Windsor.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

A summer wedding with be beautiful in Edinburgh-
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Courtier

They will marry on July 30th..

Zara and Mike set to tie the knot at church on Royal Mile - Scotsman.com News

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/...wedding-date-/
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Courtier

Nothing has been released by Zara or Mike, so until then, I think this is all still speculation.

I'm a little excited if it turns out to be the truth though!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
Nothing has been released by Zara or Mike, so until then, I think this is all still speculation.

I'm a little excited if it turns out to be the truth though!!!

So true but there are the comments by the other couple saying they have had to change their church because Zara wants the church on that date. Why would that couple have to change their church and why would they say publicly that it was because of Zara?

If this was unnamed sources I would be less inclined to believe this but we do have names and actions to support this claim.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Or a good excuse to go up there earlier as the Queen doesn't usually go to Balmoral till August I thought.
She doesn't tend to go to Balmoral until August but during mid-late July she is in Scotland at Holyrood hosting the annual garden parties. Buckingham Palace openings to the public from the last week of July - In 2010 during late July they were on their cruise of the scotish islands.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Aristocracy

Doesn't Anne have some ceremonial/courtesy title or something with regards to the Church of Scotland? I'm sure I remember her having some special title she could use when she was in Scotland that had something to do specifically with the Church up there. Maybe Zara & Mike want their wedding up in Scotland as it's obviously a place that means a lot to the family as a whole & is convenient timing wise with when many/most of the family would be there anyway.

Plus I get the feeling that this will be a rather more private wedding, no Hello deal, no tv screening or photos from inside wherever it's held, just media pics as people enter & exit the Church. Maybe one official photo of bride & groom, parents-in-laws & Queen & Prince Phillip, though wouldn't be surprised if we don't even get that. That's basically what I'm expecting anyway.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
If this is in fact true, I personally think that it is a lovely idea of the couple to hold their wedding with their grandparents ages/health/and comfort in mind. Zara and her grandmother were always very close so I am not altogether surprised that the Queen was well thought of while the arrangements were considered.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Aristocracy

Zara and Mike's wedding - Edinburgh on 30 July 2011

Zara and Mike will marry on 30 July in Canongate Church, Edinburgh.

Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall wedding's royal links to church makes Scotland favourite | Mail Online

Zara and Mike set to tie the knot at church on Royal Mile - Scotsman.com News
Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Majesty

This hasn't been confirmed yet as we have been discussing in the thread on musings etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossop7 View Post
Doesn't Anne have some ceremonial/courtesy title or something with regards to the Church of Scotland? I'm sure I remember her having some special title she could use when she was in Scotland that had something to do specifically with the Church up there.
You're right! From Wiki: In 1996, Anne was entitled to be called Her Grace The Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.

The Princess Royal is also a member of the Order of the Thistle which has to do with Scotland.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Nobility

Zara Phillips has quite a few connections with Scotland (including the fact that her grandmother is the Queen of Scots!). However, it crosses my mind that Mike may not be Church of England. If he belongs to one of the Free Churches (Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian, Reformed, etc., etc.), it may not be so easy for Zara to marry him in a CofE church in England.

However, in Scotland, the Queen (and presumably her family) become Church of Scotland (which is Presbyterian) because she is Queen of Scots. Princess Anne married in Scotland because she was divorced, and it was easier for her to marry in the CofS, which is more relaxed about the remarriage of divorcees. So it may be that this is the reason for the choice of the Canongate Kirk (which is lovely - my cousin's daughter got married there a couple of years ago - and very historic, but not very large).

I do find something a bit incongruous about this possibility, though. That is the fact that Mike Tindall plays rugby for England. Princess Anne is the Patron of the Scottish Rugby Union (and Peter Phillips played a schoolboy rugby international for Scotland). The most longstanding rivalry in rugby union is between Scotland and England - who played the first internation match against each other in, I think, 1881. So this year is the 130th anniversary of that event!!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Does Mike have any Scottish background?

Tags
mike tindall, princess royal, zara phillips