Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they flew home quick, as Peter, Autumn and Zara were both at Windsor today.

Lumutqueen said:
Well they flew home quick, as Peter, Autumn and Zara were both at Windsor today.

I didn't see Peter and Autumn, can you post pics as I love seeing them ? :)

I'll come right out and say it- I don't think Mike Tindall is a good match for Zara! He looks like an idiot in Miami; plus those DUIs are not a good omen. Dump him, Zara! Things will only get worse!

I'll come right out and say it- I don't think Mike Tindall is a good match for Zara! He looks like an idiot in Miami; plus those DUIs are not a good omen. Dump him, Zara! Things will only get worse!

He was at his buck's party - nothing wrong with what he was doing there. His future brother-in-law was with him and they seem to be having just some good fun around a pool with some drink - so what - he is a professional sportsman so having a couple of drinks is something that happens but usually in reasonable moderation. By that I mean that yes they will get drunk on occasions but not all the time or even all that often.

As for the DUI's - many young people get them - silly yes but nothing to say that in having them he is a made match for Zara. They were 9 years apart and cost him his driving license for awhile. His future mother-in-law was also fined for speeding - so he is marrying into a family where driving offences have happened as well.

In fact if you actually read about the second offence - he assumed that he was clear to drive the day after he had been drinking but the expert tests reveal that he metabolises alcohol at the lowest rate possible and thus was still over the limit the next morning. Had he metoblised the alcohol at the normal rate he would have been under the limit. Morning-after drink-drive ban for Mike Tindall - Times Online

I haven't met him personally but I know a number of people in the rugby world who have and they think he is absolutely a fantastic person.

Well, I hope you are right! He doesn't look appealing at his stag party, but then, lots of males don't. We'll hope things work out and he makes Zara a good husband.

Well, I hope you are right! He doesn't look appealing at his stag party, but then, lots of males don't. We'll hope things work out and he makes Zara a good husband.

And that Zara makes him a good wife.

As they have been living together for a number of years I am sure that they are used to each other and ready for this commitment.

I have to admit that I was concerned about their relationship (and whether he was a good match) after I found out about the DUI's. I really hope he has learned not to get behind the wheel of the car after drinking.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I was a little concerned about this relationship after I found out about the DUI's. I really hope he has learned not to get behind the wheel of the car after drinking.

The first DUI was 11 years ago when he was 22.

The second one in 2008 (court case 2009) was one very clearly where he knew not to drink and drive on the day of doing the drinking and thought, like most people, that he was fine the next day but... because of his metabolic rate regarding alcohol, he wasn't. He now knows that whereas a normal person might be able to have a couple of drinks, or even a lot of drinks, one day and be fine to drive within say 12 hours that he isn't and will need to take the extra time to metabolise the alcohol.

Surely I am not the only person here who knows young men who have been found guilty of DUIs in their 20s but who are otherwise fabulous men and great citizens, fantastic husbands and fathers - my own brother and husband are both examples of this. I also work with a number of young men, and women, who have made this mistake a couple of times and been caught (and many more who haven't been caught) but who otherwise are simply great people.

Still, a $20,000 bar tab adds up to more than just a few drinks!

Still, a $20,000 bar tab adds up to more than just a few drinks!

But was he driving afterwards and was he alone in drinking that quantity of drinks?

It wouldn't be an unusual drinks bill in some places because they can charge huge amount and know that it will be paid. I remember reading articles saying that Harry would have 2,000 pound rounds of drinks - now 10 drinks at that rate for the night would equal more than this bill (which was about 12,000 pounds) i.e. the report was that after William split from Kate he racked up a bill of 5,000 pounds one night at Mahiki club.

It also strikes me as interesting that the bill came to exactly 20,000 which suggests a pre-arranged tab.

It was a stag night afterall. We don't know how much William's stag night came to - and it might have been a great deal less, the same or even more.

Looking at some of the items - a bottle of champagne costing 2,500 dollars shows that the club/bar didn't charge the bottom possible prices.

He is a professional international sportsman - so this wouldn't be something that he would do all the time - he wouldn't be able to succeed in his sport these days if he did and his coach wouldn't have given him the honour of captaining his country.

Last edited:
The first DUI was 11 years ago when he was 22.

The second one in 2008 (court case 2009) was one very clearly where he knew not to drink and drive on the day of doing the drinking and thought, like most people, that he was fine the next day but... because of his metabolic rate regarding alcohol, he wasn't. He now knows that whereas a normal person might be able to have a couple of drinks, or even a lot of drinks, one day and be fine to drive within say 12 hours that he isn't and will need to take the extra time to metabolise the alcohol.

Surely I am not the only person here who knows young men who have been found guilty of DUIs in their 20s but who are otherwise fabulous men and great citizens, fantastic husbands and fathers - my own brother and husband are both examples of this. I also work with a number of young men, and women, who have made this mistake a couple of times and been caught (and many more who haven't been caught) but who otherwise are simply great people.

Once I could give him, but it happened twice. Regardless of how he metabolizes alcohol, he was still drunk. The article says he was driving erratically and swerved across multiple lanes, which means he shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car. IMO, it's not about whether he's a great person/boyfriend/whatever, it's about how his actions could have cost lives or serious injury. Like I said, I hope he has learned from those incidents.

It also strikes me as interesting that the bill came to exactly 20,000 which suggests a pre-arranged tab.
It looks like the bill actually came to $19,904.

Last edited:
I'm trying to put myself into Mike's shoes .... although that's pretty difficult !!

The two of them obviously have plenty of cash to spend - no problem there then.

But I do wonder sometimes whether it's easy (or possible) to live two lives.

Here's Zara at Granny's poshest bash, with parades, fly-bys and champagne cocktails, and on the other hand there is almost-hubby Mike having a "good" time getting legless....

Talk about a double life....

But really is it any of our business?

Neither Mike nor Zara are supported by the taxpayer, so I assume that the drinks, the hotel stay and the airfare were paid by private funds.

If they stayed in the main strip in Miami, they either did their business in the hotel, at the pool...and most likely walked to any club. So while one shouldn't drink and drive....one assumes that they weren't a danger to anyone else but themselves.

And frankly shame on the hotel/bar for sharing the receipts....if they receive a lot of big spenders frequent their hotel/bar....if I was a big spender....it would make me hesitate to use the facility again. No privacy. And since no one in the US could pick Mike out in a crowd (a few just a few mind you might know who Zara is), and he looks like any body else on vacation...makes me wonder who sold him out as well! And took the pictures.

Last edited:
Once I could give him, but it happened twice. Regardless of how he metabolizes alcohol, he was still drunk. The article says he was driving erratically and swerved across multiple lanes, which means he shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car. IMO, it's not about whether he's a great person/boyfriend/whatever, it's about how his actions could have cost lives or serious injury. Like I said, I hope he has learned from those incidents.

However, had he metabolised alcohol the way most people do he would have been better able to handle the car the next day - that is the point - because he has a slow metabolism (which he only found out after this happened) he was still just over the legal limit and thus impaired in his driving ability - normal people would have been fine as they would have metabolised the alcohol through their system and been less or even unimpaired by their night's driving.

After the first occasion he obviously had learnt and then when it happened the second time - and it was the next day - he wanted to find out what happened and thus found out about his slow metabolism - a sign of a sensible man who has found out about how his body works. Most people don't even know that alcohol metabolises at different rates in different people and thus just use the guidelines about when they can safely drive after drinking, as Mike did - but found out that for him those guidelines don't apply.

It looks like the bill actually came to $19,904.

His name appears below the figure of 20,000 which is why I think it could be a pre-arranged figure that had been signed off before the session started and when it was getting close they stopped and Mike signed off on the lot (it happens a lot at these sorts of functions where the party says - 'let us know when the bill reaches xxxxx' and that is it - a wise precaution about the drinking and the money being spent.

Last edited:
Defending those who endanger the lives of others because they have nothing better to do than get intoxicated saddens me. Those like Tindall should be a good example and be more responsible. There's already enough athletes who don't know how to conduct themselves.

Marie of The Sea said:
Defending those who endanger the lives of others because they have nothing better to do than get intoxicated saddens me.

But good plp do ocassionally make bad choices and mistakes so let's not get to judgemental- hopefully plp learn from their mistakes too.

However, had he metabolised alcohol the way most people do he would have been better able to handle the car the next day - that is the point - because he has a slow metabolism (which he only found out after this happened) he was still just over the legal limit and thus impaired in his driving ability - normal people would have been fine as they would have metabolised the alcohol through their system and been less or even unimpaired by their night's driving.

After the first occasion he obviously had learnt and then when it happened the second time - and it was the next day - he wanted to find out what happened and thus found out about his slow metabolism - a sign of a sensible man who has found out about how his body works. Most people don't even know that alcohol metabolises at different rates in different people and thus just use the guidelines about when they can safely drive after drinking, as Mike did - but found out that for him those guidelines don't apply.

I get that he metabolizes slower, but to me that's not an excuse. Even if he initially thought he was okay, the fact that he was swerving and driving erratically would have made him realize that he was still impaired and in no condition to be behind the wheel of a car.

I think if he had learned his lesson from the first time, he would have parked the car and called someone to pick him up - not continue driving. I don't think he's a bad person, but I do think his choices showed a serious lack of judgement.

His name appears below the figure of 20,000 which is why I think it could be a pre-arranged figure that had been signed off before the session started and when it was getting close they stopped and Mike signed off on the lot (it happens a lot at these sorts of functions where the party says - 'let us know when the bill reaches xxxxx' and that is it - a wise precaution about the drinking and the money being spent.

You might be right. At first I thought the difference was for the tip, but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Look rank has its privileges. They will be able to do, what others will be charged with and walk away. Judgement is only for the "common folk".

Let's get back on topic with wedding suggestions and musings.

I haven't seen any pictures of them, but the British media's confirmed them at Prince Philip's "do." I was a bit disappointed in the lack of photos from there, myself. :(

-- Linda

I haven't seen any pictures of them, but the British media's confirmed them at Prince Philip's "do." I was a bit disappointed in the lack of photos from there, myself. :(

-- Linda

I agree but that was Philip's wish - if he had had his way there wouldn't have been anything public at all about his milestone birthday - in other words we wouldn't have heard about any church service or the grandchildren taking him out to dinner.

There was a picture of Zara and of Peter with Autumn arriving at St George's. Mike was still in Florida I believe.

15th June, 2011 - Zara and Mike in Scotland to finalise plans for big day
The couple flew into Edinburgh Airport to get sorted for the Big Day....

Royal Wedding two: Zara and Mike in Scotland to finalise plans for big day | Showbiz: Latest News | STV Entertainment

I really like the line that says "the guests are LIKELY to include Zara's mother, Princess Anne". Really? Who would have thought? But according to the article it's only LIKELY that she will be there.

freetorhyme - thanks, you've made me laugh - and it's not even breakfast time !!

I'm not into gambling, but I think the likelihood of Anne arriving at the Kirk is - in my humble opinion - 100 percent.

The Wedding at the Canongate - a logistical nightmare ?

I've just come across the wedding this weekend of a German princess, Natalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, and it has given the city planners of Berleburg some headaches.

http://www.siegener-zeitung.de/a/463150/hochzeit-ohne-hindernisse

Last edited:
I really like the line that says "the guests are LIKELY to include Zara's mother, Princess Anne". Really? Who would have thought? But according to the article it's only LIKELY that she will be there.

But no mention of the other person whom I would say 100% will be there - the man on whose arm she will enter the Kirk - her father.

It is only likely of course that her mother, grandmother, stepfather, grandfather and other maternal relatives will attend.

Could it be that Zara may spurn her father's arm and walk (or skip ?) along the aisle alone and unfettered ?

I would put a lot past her....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom