The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-24-2014, 12:48 PM
Royal Highness

I'm surprised they picked a magazine to introduce Mia. But with them, I don't find it tacky. They've always seemed down to earth

Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

A nice photoshoot is always welcomed :) (Of course not about every year and every move)

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Serene Highness

What a nice photo of the new family. They do look very happy and yes even Mike looks good. I think his smile is different. Maybe he got his teeth fixed? Anyway, congrats to the new parents. Mia is precious. :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 02-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

At first Mia seemed to have dark hair, now almost ginger! Cute!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

A beautiful family indeed.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I heard they made 6 figures from Hello; still, I don't think it's the best idea. Bad PR.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I heard they made 6 figures from Hello; still, I don't think it's the best idea. Bad PR.
The only people moaning about this in the U.k are the media. And it makes me mad.

We hear all the time that those only connected to the BRF should earn their living as they shouldnt get any public money. Zara Philips did just that. she is not royal, she is a very junior member who does not take part in any public events. The exception was during a few jubilee functions. Christmas at sandringham is family, not public.

She is a v successful sportswoman, and he is a successful sportsman. They earn their living through taking part in their sports events, sponsorship etc.

The media this morning decided that they should earn their living but not like this. I think it is sour grapes because they didnt get the exclusive. UK media struggles with work and anyone connected with the royal family. They want them to work but cant decide what is suitable. IMO as long as its legal, it is entirely up to those concerned. Media should butt out.

It wont effect their popularity in the UK, the pix are lovely, they are happy so lots of smiles all round. apart from the media

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The only people moaning about this in the U.k are the media. And it makes me mad.

We hear all the time that those only connected to the BRF should earn their living as they shouldnt get any public money. Zara Philips did just that. she is not royal, she is a very junior member who does not take part in any public events. The exception was during a few jubilee functions. Christmas at sandringham is family, not public.

She is a v successful sportswoman, and he is a successful sportsman. They earn their living through taking part in their sports events, sponsorship etc.

The media this morning decided that they should earn their living but not like this. I think it is sour grapes because they didnt get the exclusive. UK media struggles with work and anyone connected with the royal family. They want them to work but cant decide what is suitable. IMO as long as its legal, it is entirely up to those concerned. Media should butt out.

It wont effect their popularity in the UK, the pix are lovely, they are happy so lots of smiles all round. apart from the media
Agree, if they're semi-private citizens then they can make money any way they see fit.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I agree. I liked when Princess Anne gave exclusive interviews with Hello!, I like that Peter & Autumn did it and now Zara & Mike.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Rather interesting that they sold the pic to a gossip mag, above all after the reaction of the Palace over the wedding shots of Peter...
Anyway the baby is cute <3

The difference is that the wedding shots included ones of The Queen and other senior members of the BRF who felt that the were used by Peter and Autumn to make money for the newly weds.

This time there are two successful sportspeople doing what many other people in this situation would do as a means of earning money for themselves. I expected this as Mike and Zara have to earn a living and their major source of income these days is from sponsorships which means maintaining a high profile by selling themselves to the media, which is what they have done here.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM
Majesty

You are absolutely correct.

Cele|bitchy | Zara Phillips & Mike sold baby Mia’s first photos to Hello Mag: tacky or smart?

Quote:
Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall welcomed their first child, a little girl named Mia, on January 17th. I haven’t been paying that much attention, so I kind of missed the fact that up until this point, we hadn’t seen any photos of the baby. The royal family does tend to have rules about how and when and where certain events are photographed, and while Zara isn’t even technically royal, I’m a little bit surprised that she didn’t give away the first baby photos for free. Here are Mia’s first photos, on the cover of Hello Magazine. Apparently, it’s a multi-page spread and I’m absolutely positive that Hello paid for these photos. Is that tacky? Or is it just smart? Considering Zara doesn’t have a title, I’m erring more on the side of “smart” I guess. Make that money, girl.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

People have this tendency to see Zara as a Royal, which she isn't, and to forget that she is technically speaking a celebrity - at least within her sport - as is her husband. While Royals don't typically sell photos to magazines, celebrities do. Zara and Mike choosing to do this isn't really different than if, say, the Beckhams chose to do similar with their children. Remember, Freddie and Sophie did the same thing when Maud was born - and they even included the royal grandparents in the pictures.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I completely agree, for me Mike and Zara have every right to go down the Hello route as they are not working members of the RF and do not receive public money but even more so as both are famous sports personalities. If Mike wasn't married to Zara he would still be a former England rugby star and there have probably been a few of those appearing in Hello before and even without being the Queen's granddaughter Zara would still be a Olympic medalist and international winning horsewomen, again there are plenty of people with those credentials in hello and other such mags.
I know its probably hypocritical but I didn't like the way Peter and Autumn sold their wedding to Hello has neither had any reason to be well known/famous other than through the Royal Family; Zara and Mile have worked hard to be good at what they do and this is part of what sports personalities have to do.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM
Serene Highness

For someone "on the fringe" of royalty - ie one who isn't a working royal - they also might feel a bit safer knowing they could quench some of the thirst for pics of their baby.

Unfortunately, for high profile royals, there's no deal they can do - they will always be pursued and hunted for pics, no matter how well they try to work with the press.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Whatever you feel about the compensation for the story, Mom and Dad look besotted with this new little bug! I got my pictures with Daddy!

To be honest, if I were non-titled but part of the family, I would want to manage my image - rather than let the tabs manage it. So I think this is a realistic response. For those of us who love horses, at least we know the funds will be headed, in part to them. And, maybe some life trust of some sort.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, they do look besotted and over the moon over Mia Grace. I have no problem with the couple selling the photos to Hello magazine; they do have to make a living, after all!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Courtier

I have no problems with this and I can't understand why people would. They aren't royal and the need to make a living. And they haven't included any other members of the family. I love seeing Mia and Zara and Mike look over the moon. I love these pictures they look natural and just so happy.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't have a problem with it but it will look really bad if Mike and Zara start to complain and claim privacy violation if the paparazzi take photos of Mia at horse events and such.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:51 AM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . Zara Philips did just that. she is not royal, she is a very junior member who does not take part in any public events. The exception was during a few jubilee functions. Christmas at sandringham is family, not public.
That is where there is obviously some confusion. Zara is as royal as her brother and her cousins William, Harry, Beatrice, Louise and James as they are all the Queen's grandchildren and they all feature near the top of the succession list. That they are not "titled" is irrelevant, that they are making their way as private citizens is.

Zara is out and about as often as the York girls and her fashion when she was their age was cutting edge and her millinery choices were every bit as outrageous. Her balcony and Ascot appearances were waited for with delight. She and Mike do the "private' Christmas with the rest of the family just as they do Ascot. They are there and photographed because they are members of the royal family and, let's be honest, it is only because the UK was one of the last bastions of Male Primogeniture that they don't feature a lot closer to the top of the succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
People have this tendency to see Zara as a Royal, which she isn't, and to forget that she is technically speaking a celebrity - at least within her sport - as is her husband.
As above. She may be a "technically" a celebrity but she is, nevertheless, actually a royal.