Zara Phillips, Mike Tindall and Family Current Events 1: January 2011-January 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather interesting that they sold the pic to a gossip mag, above all after the reaction of the Palace over the wedding shots of Peter...
Anyway the baby is cute <3

The difference is that the wedding shots included ones of The Queen and other senior members of the BRF who felt that the were used by Peter and Autumn to make money for the newly weds.

This time there are two successful sportspeople doing what many other people in this situation would do as a means of earning money for themselves. I expected this as Mike and Zara have to earn a living and their major source of income these days is from sponsorships which means maintaining a high profile by selling themselves to the media, which is what they have done here.

:previous:
You are absolutely correct.

Cele|bitchy | Zara Phillips & Mike sold baby Mia’s first photos to Hello Mag: tacky or smart?

Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall welcomed their first child, a little girl named Mia, on January 17th. I haven’t been paying that much attention, so I kind of missed the fact that up until this point, we hadn’t seen any photos of the baby. The royal family does tend to have rules about how and when and where certain events are photographed, and while Zara isn’t even technically royal, I’m a little bit surprised that she didn’t give away the first baby photos for free. Here are Mia’s first photos, on the cover of Hello Magazine. Apparently, it’s a multi-page spread and I’m absolutely positive that Hello paid for these photos. Is that tacky? Or is it just smart? Considering Zara doesn’t have a title, I’m erring more on the side of “smart” I guess. Make that money, girl.

People have this tendency to see Zara as a Royal, which she isn't, and to forget that she is technically speaking a celebrity - at least within her sport - as is her husband. While Royals don't typically sell photos to magazines, celebrities do. Zara and Mike choosing to do this isn't really different than if, say, the Beckhams chose to do similar with their children. Remember, Freddie and Sophie did the same thing when Maud was born - and they even included the royal grandparents in the pictures.

The only people moaning about this in the U.k are the media. And it makes me mad.

We hear all the time that those only connected to the BRF should earn their living as they shouldnt get any public money. Zara Philips did just that. she is not royal, she is a very junior member who does not take part in any public events. The exception was during a few jubilee functions. Christmas at sandringham is family, not public.

She is a v successful sportswoman, and he is a successful sportsman. They earn their living through taking part in their sports events, sponsorship etc.

The media this morning decided that they should earn their living but not like this. I think it is sour grapes because they didnt get the exclusive. UK media struggles with work and anyone connected with the royal family. They want them to work but cant decide what is suitable. IMO as long as its legal, it is entirely up to those concerned. Media should butt out.

It wont effect their popularity in the UK, the pix are lovely, they are happy so lots of smiles all round. apart from the media

I completely agree, for me Mike and Zara have every right to go down the Hello route as they are not working members of the RF and do not receive public money but even more so as both are famous sports personalities. If Mike wasn't married to Zara he would still be a former England rugby star and there have probably been a few of those appearing in Hello before and even without being the Queen's granddaughter Zara would still be a Olympic medalist and international winning horsewomen, again there are plenty of people with those credentials in hello and other such mags.
I know its probably hypocritical but I didn't like the way Peter and Autumn sold their wedding to Hello has neither had any reason to be well known/famous other than through the Royal Family; Zara and Mile have worked hard to be good at what they do and this is part of what sports personalities have to do.

For someone "on the fringe" of royalty - ie one who isn't a working royal - they also might feel a bit safer knowing they could quench some of the thirst for pics of their baby.

Unfortunately, for high profile royals, there's no deal they can do - they will always be pursued and hunted for pics, no matter how well they try to work with the press.

Whatever you feel about the compensation for the story, Mom and Dad look besotted with this new little bug! I got my pictures with Daddy!

To be honest, if I were non-titled but part of the family, I would want to manage my image - rather than let the tabs manage it. So I think this is a realistic response. For those of us who love horses, at least we know the funds will be headed, in part to them. And, maybe some life trust of some sort. ;)

Yes, they do look besotted and over the moon over Mia Grace. I have no problem with the couple selling the photos to Hello magazine; they do have to make a living, after all! ;)

I have no problems with this and I can't understand why people would. They aren't royal and the need to make a living. And they haven't included any other members of the family. I love seeing Mia and Zara and Mike look over the moon. I love these pictures they look natural and just so happy.

I don't have a problem with it but it will look really bad if Mike and Zara start to complain and claim privacy violation if the paparazzi take photos of Mia at horse events and such.

. . . Zara Philips did just that. she is not royal, she is a very junior member who does not take part in any public events. The exception was during a few jubilee functions. Christmas at sandringham is family, not public.
That is where there is obviously some confusion. Zara is as royal as her brother and her cousins William, Harry, Beatrice, Louise and James as they are all the Queen's grandchildren and they all feature near the top of the succession list. That they are not "titled" is irrelevant, that they are making their way as private citizens is.

Zara is out and about as often as the York girls and her fashion when she was their age was cutting edge and her millinery choices were every bit as outrageous. Her balcony and Ascot appearances were waited for with delight. She and Mike do the "private' Christmas with the rest of the family just as they do Ascot. They are there and photographed because they are members of the royal family and, let's be honest, it is only because the UK was one of the last bastions of Male Primogeniture that they don't feature a lot closer to the top of the succession.

People have this tendency to see Zara as a Royal, which she isn't, and to forget that she is technically speaking a celebrity - at least within her sport - as is her husband.
As above. She may be a "technically" a celebrity but she is, nevertheless, actually a royal.

The difference is that the wedding shots included ones of The Queen and other senior members of the BRF who felt that the were used by Peter and Autumn to make money for the newly weds.

This time there are two successful sportspeople doing what many other people in this situation would do as a means of earning money for themselves. I expected this as Mike and Zara have to earn a living and their major source of income these days is from sponsorships which means maintaining a high profile by selling themselves to the media, which is what they have done here.

I fully agree with you.

In my book, it is perfectly fine for Zara and Mike to raise some money by selling pictures of Mia. This is very different from the wedding of Peter and Zara when members of the BRF were included in the pictures that were sold.

I completely agree, for me Mike and Zara have every right to go down the Hello route as they are not working members of the RF and do not receive public money but even more so as both are famous sports personalities. If Mike wasn't married to Zara he would still be a former England rugby star and there have probably been a few of those appearing in Hello before and even without being the Queen's granddaughter Zara would still be a Olympic medalist and international winning horsewomen, again there are plenty of people with those credentials in hello and other such mags.

I doubt that Hello wanted to publish the pictures because Mike and Zara are sports personalities, though.

I expect they wouldn't have published them except for the Royal connection.

That's what makes it a bit iffy for me. It doesn't really bother me but I do think it's tacky (especially when there's always an outcry about the Middletons "cashing in" on their Royal connections). :whistling:

These are the kinds of pics I wished for George. She is adorable and her daddy is besotted

I presume this would have been run by the Queen before going ahead.

I doubt that Hello wanted to publish the pictures because Mike and Zara are sports personalities, though.

Not true; Hello has lots of articles about sports personalities and their spouses.

I have no problem with the pictures in Hello. Zara is not Royal; she and her husband are well known sports people, Hello is not a tacky magazine and although i haven't read it (as it hasn't reached NZ yet), I'm sure it will be respectful and not sleazy as so many 'women's' magazines seem to be these days.

For such a robust-looking couple, little Mia looks quite delicate; I bet she grows up gorgeous.

That is where there is obviously some confusion. Zara is as royal as her brother and her cousins William, Harry, Beatrice, Louise and James as they are all the Queen's grandchildren and they all feature near the top of the succession list. That they are not "titled" is irrelevant, that they are making their way as private citizens is.

Actually, no. You're incorrect here. Zara and her brother are not royals. They are descended from royals and are closely related to royals, but like Princess Margaret's children, they themselves are not royals.

In Britain it is clearly established who is and who is not a royal. There are 5 ways you can be a royal:

1. You are the monarch
  2. You are the child of the monarch
  3. You are the male-line grandchild of the monarch
  4. LPs have been issued creating you a royal
  5. You are a woman married to a man who meets one of the above conditions
Neither Zara nor Peter meet any of these conditions. Yes, it is the result of sexism within the institution as they are grandchild of the monarch, but the fact still remains that they themselves are not royal. Being a member of the overall family and being in the line of succession does not make one royal - heck, being in the line of succession means very little given as there are thousands of people in the line of succession.

I like that Mia has already been introduced to the horse. (and the dogs)

She looks dainty in most of the pictures. The picture on the coverage being the exception.

I also see no problem with them having the pictures in Hello.

I have no problems with this and I can't understand why people would. They aren't royal and the need to make a living. And they haven't included any other members of the family. I love seeing Mia and Zara and Mike look over the moon. I love these pictures they look natural and just so happy.

Agree 100%!!! The sentence in bold says it all, plus they are sports celebrities in their own right.

Baby Mia Tindall is soooo lovely and adorable :heart2:
She is mini Zara!
I'm so happy to see the happy family photos :wub:

No Richard Kay she doesn't face a dilemma. She is not a royal she is relatated to the royals. In my mind Royals are with HM or HRH titles not someone with no title at all. She has virtually no chance of being Queen so in mind she can do whatever she likes as long as it's legal.
I agree, Zara has no dilemma. She knows exactly who and what she is. Richard Kay has the dilemma or maybe he is just a trouble stirrer. Odd

I agree, Zara has no dilemma. She knows exactly who and what she is. Richard Kay has the dilemma or maybe he is just a trouble stirrer. Odd

Always has been.

Wow, I hope he never crosses Mike. Well, he may have already crossed Mike as he has trivialized his wife.

Just for the record (mainly because Richard Kay makes me mad!) - these are the accomplishments of an apparent "B list celebrity)

All for Eventing

- Individual and Team Gold in Euro. Championships 2005

- Individual Gold at World Championships 2006

- Team Silver at World Championships 2006
This meant she was reigning World Champion 2006-2010

- Team Gold Euro Championships 2007

- Team Silver at Olympic Games 2012

I don't really understand why some of us are complaining, lots of royals have similar photoshoots in Hello!, Sophie and Freddie Windsor, Prince Edourd and Princess Isabella of Ligne (Belgium) and Lady Helen Taylor are just a few examples.

Mia is a very sweet baby, I love her heart babygro and her fluffy hair is adorable. There's a lovely photo in the magazine of Mia looking up at Mike in an "I'm unsure about this" way. It will be interesting to see if she grows up to be an Olympian like her mother and grandmother, or takes up a different career.

Last edited:
mia is adorable! I love zara life style!

I can't find the thread of general information: Does Michael have siblings? if so, are they married or have children? I know that his father is named Phil. Is that a nickname like Mike or his proper name? Thanks

I can't find the thread of general information: Does Michael have siblings? if so, are they married or have children? I know that his father is named Phil. Is that a nickname like Mike or his proper name? Thanks

His father's name is Philip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom