The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude
I think there are similarities between Anne and her paternal grand-aunt queen Louise of Sweden, in their seriousness and duty when it comes to doing royal duties, and also her no-nonsense approach to being a royal. Louise Mountbatten - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't think Anne is as stern and serious as people think she is. In the interviews I've seen of her, she's smiling (wonderful smile too!) and cracking jokes at several points, and she makes light of serious situations, like when she speaks of the kidnap attempt.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I don't think Anne is as stern and serious as people think she is. In the interviews I've seen of her, she's smiling (wonderful smile too!) and cracking jokes at several points, and she makes light of serious situations, like when she speaks of the kidnap attempt.
I was talking about the seriousness Anne shows when doing her royal duties, not how she is as a private person. Queen Louise was known for her sense of humor and sense of self-irony, something I think Anne also has.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Majesty

I think The Princess Royal is pretty happy with her role in the "Firm" but i get the feeling that if she was called to duty to be Queen, she would do a good job at it.

I agree, Princess Anne may be a little tough but she do have a soft side to her. Her children have mentioned how funny she is and what a loving and supportive mother she is to Peter & Zara. From the interviews and clips from the TV shows she has done in the past, Princess Anne is very delightful and loves to laugh. I think she's a good friend to others.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Nobility

Anne has stated in interviews that she is not fond of children. I know, I know, she does tons for children's charities. She said it, I didn't.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman
I think The Princess Royal is pretty happy with her role in the "Firm" but i get the feeling that if she was called to duty to be Queen, she would do a good job at it.

I agree, Princess Anne may be a little tough but she do have a soft side to her. Her children have mentioned how funny she is and what a loving and supportive mother she is to Peter & Zara. From the interviews and clips from the TV shows she has done in the past, Princess Anne is very delightful and loves to laugh. I think she's a good friend to others.
I know, she's absolutely amazing! If I could meet one celebrity, she would be it. Just think, we could spend hours talking!
Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2

I know, she's absolutely amazing! If I could meet one celebrity, she would be it. Just think, we could spend hours talking!
You think Anne is a celebrity?
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post

I agree. I think Princess Anne is a big softie who protects her privacy with a stern exterior but once you get past the shell she's a very loveable person.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
You think Anne is a celebrity?

Of course she is a celebrity - they all are. Royals are no different to any other celebrity except that the others become famous usually on merit while the royals get there through being born or marrying not through anything they have achieved that is noteworthy.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

Of course she is a celebrity - they all are. Royals are no different to any other celebrity except that the others become famous usually on merit while the royals get there through being born or marrying not through anything they have achieved that is noteworthy.
I disagree. There's a difference between celebrity and royalty. Royals can be famous, but calling them a celebrity is tacky.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Aristocracy

Royals are individuals who inherit a duty to public service. The institution(s) they are born into *are* absolutely noteworthy and they are the engendered representatives of those institutions.

Celebrity is what they generally gain as a result of that.

They are *not* celebrities.

Having celebrity and being a celebrity are different things, from a linguistic, perceptive and practical perspective. Common usage notwithstanding, words have real meanings and those meanings can easily get lost in the cultural vernacular. Problem with this is it changes what one is saying and what one is perceived to mean.

Royals are *absolutely* different from others who have celebrity. There are a few ways in which this is true but the primary one is the duty to serve, from which the celebrity arises. No other persons who have celebrity have this same lifetime restriction and obligation. No other persons who have celebrity are so restricted in its use and in the use of the trappings that come with it.

The sheer weight of obligation and duty makes any statement that groups them with "other celebrities", at best, a facile position.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Camilla View Post
I agree. I think Princess Anne is a big softie who protects her privacy with a stern exterior but once you get past the shell she's a very loveable person.
In the program about her for her 60th, Peter and Zara said that she's great fun, she's always the one laughing the loudest and loves a good dance, she's good on her feet.