Princess Anne and the Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Anne and the Olympic Flame have arrived at RNAS Culdrose air base in Cornwall on May 18, 2012.

The Olympic Torch relay starts on Saturday at Land's End, the southwest tip of England, to begin an 8,000-mile
(12,875-kilometre) journey around Britain, with a detour to also visit the Irish capital Dublin. It will culminate in
the flame being brought to the Olympic Stadium for the opening of the Games on July 27.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

Not flash but dash: Anne plays key Olympic role
Princess Anne: Not the flashiest, but when it comes to the Olympics, the princess has her fans
Spare a thought for Princess Anne. While the London Olympics will showcase a whole new generation of British royals, it’s easy to overlook the 61-year-old daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. But with so many eyes on the glamorous Kate, also known as the Duchess of Cambridge, her earnest husband Prince William and the ever-so-eligible Prince Harry, it’s easy to forget that Anne is part of the reason London has the Olympics in the first place.

I just found this on youtube. You can see clips of Anne and Mark Phillips throughout the video. Anne also narrates some of the video herself.

Anne's dressage starts at 6:20 and her cross country phase at 23:40. Her infamous fall is around the 25 min mark. You can also catch glimpses of the Queen, Prince Phillip, Andrew and Edward.

Poor Anne wasn't the only one to take a tumble in the cross country phase, Hugh Thomas (Zara's god-father) fell into the lake during his turn at 20:20.
Eventing 1976 Olympics - YouTube

Princess Anne to visit belligerent Argentina - Telegraph

Princess Royal to visit Argentina in her capacity as Member of the IOC.

I'll do a summary of the report because not everyone has access to the DT.

SUMMARY
The Princess Royal is to undertake what is thought to be the first official engagement by a senior member of the Royal family in the South American country for 14 years. The visit to Buenos Aires next month comes amid rising tensions over the Falkland Islands.

Aware of the diplomatic implications, Buckingham Palace officials are keen to stress that Anne is making the visit on September 6 as a member of the International Olympic Committee. She will attend the 125th IOC Session in the Argentine capital.

The Princess visited the Falklands in 2009 with her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence. While the couple were in the disputed territory, which the Argentines call Las Malvinas, they visited the Falkland Islands Defence Force Headquarters in Stanley and later laid a wreath at a memorial. They also inaugurated “Liberty Lodge”, a house built to accommodate visiting British Falklands veterans, and met members of the South Atlantic Medal Association.

When the Princess’s nephew, the Duke of Cambridge, carried out a six-week tour of duty as a helicopter pilot in the Falklands last year, his posting was condemned as a a “provocative act” with “political content” by Argentina

The Princess’s brother, the Prince of Wales, is thought to have been the last senior member of the Royal family to have visited Argentina, in 1999. He laid a wreath in Buenos Aires to the Argentines who died in the Falklands conflict as part of what was meant to be a bridge-building visit.

Prince Harry and Princess Beatrice spent part of their gap years in the country, but they did not undertake any official engagements.

Last edited:
It's a true pity this wasn't such an important IOC Congress, so Anne's wasn't mandatory and she didn't really need to be there. However, w/first tomorrow's vote and awarding of the 2020 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games and then the voting for the new IOC President *and* the final big vote, what sport will be added for the Rio Games (Hoping they've been paying attention to the up roar over the last year and restore Wresting back where it belongs). So in a rather long winded manner, ;) , what I'm trying to say is that this is one of those times when attendance by all the IOC Members is mandatory. No excuses other than something very serious and very personal, such as a death in the Family for example.

I really hope all that can be done to ensure HRH's safety during the Congress is being done and nothing other than threats happen. Hoping that won't keep me from worrying however and I'll be relieved once her plane's wheels are up and she's headed home.

Now...About tomorrow...What time EST are things expected to start? I have a feeling this is going to be a much closer vote than many experts have been saying and it very well could go to a third vote. Don't have any idea who might have an edge really, the fact Madrid already has many venues already good to go could give it a teeny edge, but only that.

I always look forward to the Official Announcement, as I can play "Spot The Royal!" among the Members of the IOC. :D

Hard to believe it was ten years ago all of us here were hoping w/fingers crossed that Vancouver was the city printed on the sheet inside that envelope w/the Olympic Rings on the front and the about to be named Host City for the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. So to our Spanish, Turkish and Japanese Members...I know all too well what's coming tomorrow w/the waiting and butterflies in the tummy. Best of Luck and may the best City win!! :)

Pray for her safe return. I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to her.

Last edited:
If something where to happen to Princess Anne. I assure you there will be outrage.

Outrage yes but that is all - no action would be taken. It isn't like 1914 when an attack on the Archduke Franz Ferdinand triggered World War One.

Princess Anne is still in Buenos Aires and today, September 10, attended the IOC session in which German Thomas Bach was elected as new IOC President.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Hopefully her hotel arrangements are much better than what we have heard reported.

The only pictures I have seen of Anne she is reading a book and looks totally bored. Those are in the DM. The links above are coming up with a warning on my computer so I can't see them.

The only pictures I have seen of Anne she is reading a book and looks totally bored. Those are in the DM. The links above are coming up with a warning on my computer so I can't see them.

I haven't seen the DM pictures, but the twitter ones are of Anne with a book looking bored, so they're probably the same.

From Court Circular

Count Rogge was received by The Princess Royal when Her Royal Highness, on behalf of The Queen, presented him with the Insignia of an Honorary Knight Commander of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George.

She seems very pleased to be doing this honor. Good for both of them.

Back
Top Bottom