Princess Anne and the Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apart from Albert, Anne and Frederik,are there any other aristos on the Olympic Committee ?

It's a rather important IOC Council Meeting too, as IIRC the Winter Games after Sochi will be awarded. IIRC that is.

Many thanks for the list .... being on an Olympic Committee seems to be de rigeur for titled persons :)

I thought Benedikte was a member as well? Her name's not on the list, at least I couldn't find it

You mean Princess Benedikte of Denmark? She isn't a member as far as I know.

I've just read the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg wedding, and there is Benedikte of Denmark.

Anyone going to answer my question? As I said, I think I'm right about this IOC Council being the one to award the next Winter Olympics that are up for grabs, but I'm also not sure.

If so, then this is more than just any ordinary IOC Council Meeting and I'd expect the majority of the Council Members will have to be in attendance for the voting process to go ahead. When they show the Announcement on the News Networks, usually CNN here in North America, Anne is usually shown as she's pretty recgonizable to most.

I admire all she's done for the Olympic Movement and Sport in general. As an Olympian herself, she knows first hand what that experience is like. I have my fingers crossed that Zara's able to qualify and compete in London next year, so we can see the Second Generation compete and take part in an Olympic Games. :eek:)

Anyone going to answer my question? As I said, I think I'm right about this IOC Council being the one to award the next Winter Olympics that are up for grabs, but I'm also not sure.

There was no question mark in your post, so what question do you want answering?
The one in Durban will decide the hosts of the 2018 Winter Olympics yes.

Princess Anne at the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) 123rd session in Durban, South Africa,
July 6, 2011. The International Olympic Committee Session votes to choose hosts of 2018 winter
Olympics following presentations by bid candidates Munich in Germany, Annecy in France and
PyeongChang in South Korea.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gallery **

:previous:
More pictures from Daylife

Princess Anne looks great in front of 10 Downing Street; if she weren't a royal, what a great PM she would make!
Love this picture of the Prime Minister greeting the Princess; very proper and gallant.

Last edited:
It's simply lovely that she's taken such an interest.

It's simply lovely that she's taken such an interest.

I think she's been more than interested all along as she is a member of the London organizing committee for the 2012 Olympics. She's been active in the Olympics for quite a while and if my semi-awake memory serves me correctly, she's also on the IOC.

Osipi said:
I think she's been more than interested all along as she is a member of the London organizing committee for the 2012 Olympics. She's been active in the Olympics for quite a while and if my semi-awake memory serves me correctly, she's also on the IOC.

She is a member, and I know all of the above but she doesn't have to take an interest it's a passion of hers which like I said is lovely.

Well done Anne for taking on this initiative. With HM Diamond Jubilee celebrations, there has been little excitement about the upcoming Olympics.

She is a member, and I know all of the above but she doesn't have to take an interest it's a passion of hers which like I said is lovely.

Oh I totally agree. When I first heard the words London Olympics, the first royal to come to mind for me was Anne. Her role so far in these games I think really have been understated but mostly because of the Jubilee approaching. Once those celebrations have passed and the main focus is on the Olympics, I do hope there'll be more coverage of Anne's involvement.

Last edited:
Over to you London: Olympic Flame officially handed over to city in historic Athens ceremony
The Olympic Flame was officially handed over to London today in an Athens ceremony, featuring a 2012 delegation including David Beckham, Boris Johnson and Princess Anne. The historic event took place in a rain-hit sundown ceremony at the Panathenaic stadium in Athens, venue of the first modern Olympics in 1896. But the flame stayed lit and will now make its way back to the UK where it will start a 70-day 8,000 mile relay around Britain.

Compete at Olympics? No, I would hate it! Princess Anne happy to accept watching brief
Princess Anne has admitted she would 'hate' to compete at the London 2012 Games. The Princess Royal is president of the British Olympic Association, an IOC member, and competed in at the 1976 Games in Montreal but says the pressure and media intrusion from competing in London would have been hard to cope with.

Last edited:
Just heard Princess Anne is about to get on the BA plane which is bringing the torch to Cornwall for 7:30pm.

Back
Top Bottom