The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
If a tabloid is being that ambiguous about it, I think it's probably safe to say he wasn't offered a title. There's precedent for a man to be offered a title in order that a bride from the royal family will be something more than just Mrs, but there's no reason to give an untitled man a title when he's marrying a commoner.
Elspeth, there is a historic precedent when a king created his granddaughters through female line "Highnesses" with the title and rank of princesses of the UK:

from the Wiki-article about Princess Alexandra, The Duchess of Fife (in her own right) - Alexandra nad her sister Maud both were the daughters of a Princess Royal....

On 5 November 1905, King Edward VII declared her mother Princess Royal. He further ordered Garter King of Arms to gazette Lady Alexandra Duff and her sister Lady Maud Duff as Princesses of Great Britain and Ireland with the style and attribute of Highness and precedence immediately after all members of the British Royal Family bearing the style of Royal Highness. From that point, Her Highness Princess Alexandra of Fife held her title and rank, not from her father (a Duke), but rather from the will of the Sovereign (her grandfather).

So the queen could order Garter to declare Peter and Zara prince and princess. problem is that their father does not held a peerage, so what prince/ss "of ?" should she declare them? But as she can make Peter into a prince, she can of course create a /any peerage for him.

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:30 AM
Nobility

Still no word on the identity of the officiating clergy? Church of Scotland? Church of England? Roman Catholic? Combination of all???

Odd.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Courtier

I somehow doubt she is converting...maybe it's like an all-faiths thing. She doesn't even really have to bother...it's not like he will be King or anything.

Do you think pictures will be sold to Hello?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Nobility

Here is an article saying that Peter and Autumn are definitely going to marry at Windsor and that it is to be a rather grand affair.
- Telegraph
Old 02-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
Here is an article saying that Peter and Autumn are definitely going to marry at Windsor and that it is to be a rather grand affair.
- Telegraph
That's surprising.

Do you think Peter is paying for Autumn's dress or does the dressmaker do it for free because of the publicity?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Commoner

Isn't her father a miner or somthing? I'm sure Peter is paying...and it will most certainly be designed by a famous designer and worth quite a lot
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Aristocracy

at
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaratop View Post
Isn't her father a miner or somthing? I'm sure Peter is paying...and it will most certainly be designed by a famous designer and worth quite a lot

Autumn's father is a retired executive with General Electric according to a recent article in Hello. So I'm sure her family would be covering at least some of the cost of the wedding. Who really knows though. As for the dress it will be great publicity for the designer. I'm sure that Autumn will make a beautiful bride
Old 02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Nobility

I am confused about BP releasing press releases on Peter. They always say he is a "private" citizen and they won't comment, but they announced his engagement, so will they or won't they release a date for the wedding?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie28 View Post
I am confused about BP releasing press releases on Peter. They always say he is a "private" citizen and they won't comment, but they announced his engagement, so will they or won't they release a date for the wedding?
Maybe they will...now that it's a big to do on the social calendar...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Aristocracy

I'm convinced it will be at St Georges Windsor. Lesser Royals have married there such as Lady Helen.

I think as much as Peter keeps himself private - I do think he accepts that he is the Queen's grandson and some things are just expected. I believe he had a big bash at Windsor for his 21st (like all grandchildren).

On the subject of the dress I have 2 thoughts. Either this willl be the only thing her father will pay for or the dress maker will do it for nothing.

If the wedding is windsor the Queen will host the reception.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I'm convinced it will be at St Georges Windsor. Lesser Royals have married there such as Lady Helen.

I think as much as Peter keeps himself private - I do think he accepts that he is the Queen's grandson and some things are just expected. I believe he had a big bash at Windsor for his 21st (like all grandchildren).

On the subject of the dress I have 2 thoughts. Either this willl be the only thing her father will pay for or the dress maker will do it for nothing.

If the wedding is windsor the Queen will host the reception.
Well yeah...I'm not trying to make it about money but I don't think her family could afford such a grand affair of 800 people, if that's accurate. Not many people could...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
Well yeah...I'm not trying to make it about money but I don't think her family could afford such a grand affair of 800 people, if that's accurate. Not many people could...
No I had 400 at my wedding and that was hard financially.

I have a feeling the same happened with Sophie her father paid for the dress.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Nobility

Peter to renounce his place in the line of succession? Ecumenical wedding service?

Mandrake - Telegraph
Old 02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Aristocracy

So the wedding will be in May...
Does anyone know the exact date?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 View Post
So the wedding will be in May...
Does anyone know the exact date?
I've heard it will be May 17th, although it has not been confirmed by BP.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Courtier

Isn`t the weddingday 17th May?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Courtier

It's not a big deal that he is renouncing...he was never in training to be a senior royal anyway.

The wedding should be a nice affair though, obviously a moderate media event.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

So will it be an Anglican or Roman Catholic Service its an Anglican Church isnt it??
Old 02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Nobility

Based on the Telegraph article, if it is to be believed, it seems to me that regardless of the form of the wedding service, a Catholic priest will be present as a witness. Under canon law, I believe it will make the marriage valid in the eyes of the Roman Catholic church.

Seeing as Prince Michael was married to his wife in a civil and not religious ceremony, as far as I know, won't this be the first time a member of the extended British royal family married according to Catholic rites (except of course, Nicholas Windsor, who is Catholic) at a wedding the Queen will attend?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Courtier

The Queen is allowed to attend Catholic weddings, right?

Tags
autumn kelly, autumn phillips, engagement, line of succession, peter phillips, styles and titles, wedding preparations