The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Nessy View Post
I hope that its televised.
It would be nice, but I somehow doubt it.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Congratulations Peter!

Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Peter Phillips is not a commoner--he is the grandson of the Queen. I hope she offers him a title that he can pass onto his children--and that he accepts it!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Peter Phillips is not a commoner--he is the grandson of the Queen. I hope she offers him a title that he can pass onto his children--and that he accepts it!
I agree with you! A Viscount Something-or-another would be nice!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Courtier

I don't think that it's likely, after all these years. If he wanted a title, as an adult, he could have asked his grandmother and I'm sure that she would have obliged him, despite what the Princess Royal allegedly wanted. He's the first-born grandchild, after all, and from all I've read he's immensely popular with both his granny and his grandfather. I read a quote from Prince Philip saying about Peter, 'he's a winner! an absolute winner! the best grandson anyone could wish for.' Mind you, William was a mere tot at the time, so no disparagement or favouritism was implied.

Actually, I'm rather impressed that Anne's children do not have titles and apparently don't seek them. In their positions, however, their social standing and security is unassailable, so good for them!

I wish Peter and his Canadian bride every good thing and much happiness.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I don't think that it's likely, after all these years. If he wanted a title, as an adult, he could have asked his grandmother and I'm sure that she would have obliged him, despite what the Princess Royal allegedly wanted. He's the first-born grandchild, after all, and from all I've read he's immensely popular with both his granny and his grandfather. I read a quote from Prince Philip saying about Peter, 'he's a winner! an absolute winner! the best grandson anyone could wish for.' Mind you, William was a mere tot at the time, so no disparagement or favouritism was implied.

Actually, I'm rather impressed that Anne's children do not have titles and apparently don't seek them. In their positions, however, their social standing and security is unassailable, so good for them!

I wish Peter and his Canadian bride every good thing and much happiness.
Didn't Prince Andrew become the Duke of York on his wedding day, I would think a title would be appropriate for a wedding. Personally, I don't think Peter himself needs one, but I think that it would be a nice thing to pass on to your children. As Grandson to the Queen, a title would have only been an annoyance and he has tons of privileges as it is... But well his children and grandchildren, they are going to be further down the line, and won't get that much attention anyways. So why not give them a reminder of their heritage? By getting the title after he's married to, he'll draw a lot less attention as well than if the title happened before he was married. That is if he wants them. Someone said that Peter actually is the favorite grandson...
Old 07-31-2007, 12:06 AM
Gentry

Did Peter have to ask the Queen's permission to marry????
Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, since he's in the line of succession, he would have had to ask the Queen's permission to marry. Since he's over 25, there would have been a way round it if she'd refused consent, but I think he still had to ask.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Official confirmation:

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ENGAGEMENT OF PETER PHILLIPS
30 July 2007

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Princess Royal and Captain Mark Phillips are pleased to announce the engagement of their son Peter Phillips to Autumn, daughter of Mr Brian and Mrs Kitty Kelly.

Buckingham Palace press releases > The engagement of Peter Phillips, 30 July 2007
Old 07-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Nobility

Royal marriage has Moncton link | Published July 31st, 2007

Royal marriage has Moncton link

Queen Elizabeth's eldest grandson to marry Moncton resident's granddaughter
Old 07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Courtier

Well, I for one am thrilled that we will soon see a British wedding! As for granting Peter a title? No, I don't believe he will ever receive one, just because he is perfectly happy with the way he is living his life. His parents never wanted him or his sister to have one, so I think out of respect, he will not ask for one. Congrats to the happpy couple!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZandraRae View Post
Well, I for one am thrilled that we will soon see a British wedding! As for granting Peter a title? No, I don't believe he will ever receive one, just because he is perfectly happy with the way he is living his life. His parents never wanted him or his sister to have one, so I think out of respect, he will not ask for one. Congrats to the happpy couple!
I don't think it would be disrespectful for Peter to want a title.. His parents made their choices when he was a baby, and under different circumstances than what Peter will be now.. They wanted Peter to grow up in normalcy as he did, and perhaps wanted him to be able to make his own choices... (Quite frankly) But now that he's older, I don't think his parents would be that upset if he gets a title (if that's what he wants.) Besides Peter's children if they have titles won't get nearly that much attention. They will merely being Great Niece and Nephew to the King.. And then second cousins to the King, there's a big difference there.

Personally, I think it would be a nice PR coop if the wedding was held in Canada, and all of the royal family attended. Queen Elizabeth II is Queen of Canada, and sometimes I think that Canada, and Australia, get a little bit of the shaft.. in regards to royal attention. Why not let Canada have a big fancy wedding.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

The reason I don't think Peter will get a title is that a title is somewhat obliging - Peter would have to be more in the spotlight, carry on Royal duties, and Peter has already shown he wants a private life.What a year for British Royal Family - a Royal wedding, and 3 baby joys (Sophie, and both children of the Duchess of Cornwall).
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

He's not a Royal Highness, so I don't think being created an Earl is an additional obligation to carry out royal duties. If The Queen chooses to elevate him to the peerage upon marriage, it would be more a personal honour since Peter is her eldest grandchild.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Courtier

Any news/photos on Autumn's engagement ring?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Commoner

He doesn't WANT a title

But honestly, I don't think Peter wants that "honor". The younger generations (royal families and 'commoners' alike) don't really go for all the pomp and circumstance and crap associated with the old days. The younger royals want to be normal young people. You can tell by the way they dress and behave, both of which are very 'normal'. If he wanted a title, he would have certainly had one by now, and most certainly wouldn't want one for his own children, plus his canadian girlfriend doesn't seem the least bit interested in all the fuss and whoopela of the royal family anyways.... it's all a thing of the past...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Queen's grandson could lose birthright to throne -Times Online

This law is ridiculous these days!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Courtier

from Daily mail

Princess Anne's son disqualified from throne for having Catholic fiancée | the Daily Mail
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Any news/photos on Autumn's engagement ring?

See the ring she was at Gatcombe Park

http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_prev...p?idp=14760741
http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_prev...p?idp=14760742
http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_prev...p?idp=14760743 see her ring...
http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_prev...p?idp=14760744

http://new2.isifa.com/tools/get_prev...p?idp=14760413 also the ring..

very pretty ring..
Old 08-03-2007, 11:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Telegraph is also reporting that she's been baptised Catholic.

Peter Phillips may renounce succession - Telegraph

It also quotes her mother as saying that she's very proud of her religion, so it seems that she won't be giving it up simply so that her husband can stay in the line of succession, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Tags
autumn kelly, autumn phillips, engagement, line of succession, peter phillips, styles and titles, wedding preparations