The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
It is illegal in British law to make provision for children not yet born. If the amount was to evenly split only already living children would inherit as was the case with George VIII which only Anne and Charles got money from, simply because the others weren't alive yet.
Not absolutely, Claire. British law permits Trust funds, which do, indeed, accommodate unborn descendants.

As an aside, did you mean George VI?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Courtier

I always wondered why it's so difficult to believe that a royal prince or princess might just simply meet someone, during the ordinary course of their lives, and love them. Are royals so very different from the rest of us?

Almost without exception, the partner who's not royal is subsequently reduced to an intrusive examination of the why's, how's, and reasons for any consequent relationship. Nearly always, the non-royal is often imagined to be, and represented as being, 'social-climbing', 'hard-nosed', 'predatory', etc.

Peter and Autumn apparently met, sans any contrivance or manipulation, and found that they love each other and are to be married. I congratulate them and wish them both every good thing.

To infer that Peter's been bamboozled (or Harry, or William, for that matter) is to deny that any of these young royal men have any independent thought, will, or sense of proportion.

I must add, Rosalee, that I'm somewhat surprised by your suggestion that any Canadian would have needed to 'goggle' Peter Phillips to educate themselves as to who he really was. Of course she must have known, but what's that to the point?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalee View Post
The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start? In this day and age, most girls "Google" their new partners just to see if there is anything they can find out right away. Not very romantic, but cautious. She waited six weeks? She was to join the secret service!
Peter Phillips is hardly one of the more outstanding names out there. It's a decidedly common name to have , and not one that stands out, like Zenouska or Columbus…
Old 05-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I must add, Rosalee, that I'm somewhat surprised by your suggestion that any Canadian would have needed to 'goggle' Peter Phillips to educate themselves as to who he really was. Of course she must have known, but what's that to the point?
Try to google Peter Phillips and see what's coming up... Most people have long realized there is no sense in googling people with a too common name, so don't do it.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Nobility

I think it would be very poor of William not to attend this wedding, Peter is his cousin, I thought they were good friends.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Aristocracy

Secret Service was where she was headed ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
Try to google Peter Phillips and see what's coming up... Most people have long realized there is no sense in googling people with a too common name, so don't do it.

Google
"Peter Phillips England"

First hit: English Monarchs - Kings and Queens of England - Peter Phillips.

There are streams more about him after this, most showing his picture.

Please. But if that's her story. That's her story. Maybe she was so smitten, she did not care to do it.

I wish them all the best!

R.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Nobility

Maybe , William had planned this vacation before he knew the date of the wedding and that is all the free time he had to take it. I don't think Peter will care really wasn't William at his bachelor party. The press just wants to create drama where there is none.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You have to remember that Autumn is from Quebec. The Royal Family doesn't garner as much attention there.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosalee View Post
Google
"Peter Phillips England"

First hit: English Monarchs - Kings and Queens of England - Peter Phillips.

There are streams more about him after this, most showing his picture.

Please. But if that's her story. That's her story. Maybe she was so smitten, she did not care to do it.

I wish them all the best!

R.
But why should she google Peter Phillips and "England"? That would mean that she actually already had that knowledge. They met at an BMW-party and if you try Peter Phillips and BMW, nothing comes up. She probably knew where he lived then (Wimbledon?) but why should she select "England"? I wouldn't think of that because it connects a common name with a common place - so what does it help? Okay, in this case it would have helped but we have an information and try to figure out the plausibility that she spoke the truth. For me it sounds like she spoke the truth.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 AM
Royal Highness

Well, I would've hoped she would've googled much sooner than six weeks into the relationship. Here we can search court records databases to see in someone has any outstanding warrants, or if theirdivorce has really been finalized like they claim, etc. A smart thing to do in this day and age! But his name is fairly common so I think it wouldn't be much help.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 AM
Gentry

Quote:
The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start?
Only the most senior members. A few months ago Edward made a visit to PEI and it barely registered a bleep on the national radar. I can tell you for a fact that the average Canadian would not know who Peter Philips is, unless they have an interest in the Royal family already. The point about Autumn being from Quebec is also a good one. If she says she was unaware of who Peter was, I believe because I know people like that.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Nobility

If I were in their shoes, I would have sold the rights to the wedding. So many couples start out married life with nothing more than a big "blow-out" wedding, a pile of bills from said wedding, and money arguments. Here's a way for this "lucky" couple to set up a nest egg for themselves.

It's not like we the public are going to be any less interested had they had a private wedding. Look at how curious we still are about Viscount Severn and Lady Louise; their parents shield them from the public's gaze, and still we want more.

I think it was a smart move for Peter and Autumn.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am reallly looking forward to this wedding and obviously all that goes with it. Find it a little hard to believe she didn't know who he was when they met but that is coming from a longtime royalist. It is exciting and on my birthday.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Commoner

I don't know what all you Canadians are thinking...we NEVER have any royal coverage in our papers,not like in the UK. From what I understand, people in the Montreal area couldn't even name the Queens children, aside from Charles of course, unless you are a royal watcher, how would one know? And why on earth would the girl suspect in the first place?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

We get an occasional royal picture in this part of Canada, but that's it unless there's a tour by a Senior Royal or coverage in the local paper during a Royal visit. The children of The Princess Royal are practically unknown, though; I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaratop View Post
I don't know what all you Canadians are thinking...we NEVER have any royal coverage in our papers,not like in the UK. From what I understand, people in the Montreal area couldn't even name the Queens children, aside from Charles of course, unless you are a royal watcher, how would one know? And why on earth would the girl suspect in the first place?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Courtier

Well, I, for one, am thoroughly delighted that Peter and Autumn are to be married. As a British Commonwealth citizen, I couldn't be more pleased (prejudiced?) that Peter is to marry a Canadian, especially one who seems to be such a pleasant and appealing young woman.

The Princess Royal must be pleased, too. She's never been one to stand upon ceremony and privilege where she and her children are concerned - one of her more admirable traits.

As Windsor is involved in this marriage, we can only suppose that Her Majesty is happy and satisfied as well. She's proven herself to be a most exemplary and understanding grandmother and I join with her obvious wish that Peter and Autumn's alliance will be a fruitful and a very happy one.

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but from Australia, I send congratulations.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
But why should she google Peter Phillips and "England"? That would mean that she actually already had that knowledge. They met at an BMW-party and if you try Peter Phillips and BMW, nothing comes up. She probably knew where he lived then (Wimbledon?) but why should she select "England"? I wouldn't think of that because it connects a common name with a common place - so what does it help? Okay, in this case it would have helped but we have an information and try to figure out the plausibility that she spoke the truth. For me it sounds like she spoke the truth.
Apart from his accent, he told her he was from England. If you read the new article in "Hello", it reveals (from her mouth) that they were in touch from day one and within a few days she went to visit him in England. But that he had a modest residence where he was studying and so there was no outward sign of his wealth. This went on for a while until "six weeks into it..." when her mother was watching a documentary on PW and PH and she heard the name "Peter Phillips" as their cousin and THEN ran up to check the internet, again, ~Peter Phillips, England, Royalty~

I don't think the article is viewable online at this time? The pictures are quite nice and she seems to LOVE being photographed. PP has been highly criticized for his barefoot photo as he has stayed in near line for the throne.

R.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you are under 25 years of age, possibly you would not identify with the name "Phillips", since Canada has had less to do with the UK since it's emancipation from the Empire some time back.. but, Autumn's mother is a Canadian and she most probably would have recognized the name. I am younger than Autumn's mother and I grew up in Canada. We ALL knew of the Queen's children, who they married, and the names of their children, growing up. We might have lost track of what the PP generation has been doing .. but we knew he was around. I have only recently gotten interested in "Royal Watching", but I already knew who Princess Anne's children were and about her divorce from their father. Zara has always been well-known in Canada. (She reminds me so much of the young Queen Elizabeth in appearance!)

All I am saying is if you read the "Hello" article about how AK was just about to go into the Canadian Secret Service and train in England .. it would make sense to wonder why she wasn't more curious OR prudent dating and flying across the pond to meet a guy she'd just met? She's no dummy and prides herself on her ability to be resourceful and intelligent. Not one of her friends described her as "impulsive".

Again, I wish them well. But I think everyone believing her "six week" story entirely, is a bit gullible. :o)

R.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Courtier

I don't find it remarkable or sinister that Autumn may well have known who Peter Phillips's parentage and grand-parentage was. I'm inclined to ask 'so what?'

As for 'Hello' - I've never seen it, much less read it - and from what I've garnered from the Forums,I hope that it never crosses my path.

No matter how Peter met Autumn, he wouldn't be marrying her and committing to her if he didn't love her, and vice versa, in my humble opinion. So, rhubarb to those tabloids, who might wish to make a surreptious and/or contrived issue of Peter and Autumn's future liaison and marriage. Anything to sell another issue!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I don't find it remarkable or sinister that Autumn may well have known who Peter Phillips's parentage and grand-parentage was. I'm inclined to ask 'so what?'

As for 'Hello' - I've never seen it, much less read it - and from what I've garnered from the Forums,I hope that it never crosses my path.

No matter how Peter met Autumn, he wouldn't be marrying her and committing to her if he didn't love her, and vice versa, in my humble opinion. So, rhubarb to those tabloids, who might wish to make a surreptious and/or contrived issue of Peter and Autumn's future liaison and marriage. Anything to sell another issue!
Rhubarb aside, I am only responding to other people's emotions here. "Hello" is not known for trashy journalism. AK&PP actually GAVE the interview and they had full control on what was printed!

It's a cute story and I think they really adore one another. Nothing too suspicious going on, but they also should not expect everyone to buy the coy version of events, no matter how cute it looks on paper. Its not realistic.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

well I think that Peter should have said muscht sonner who he was!!!

Tags
autumn kelly, autumn phillips, engagement, line of succession, peter phillips, styles and titles, wedding preparations