The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
The new princess pushy? Meet Peter Philips' ambitious bride-to-be | the Daily Mail
Daily Mail attempts to be both acerbic and sarcastic about Ms. Kelly and her personal traits. I am disappointed to learn that the couple in question sold their story to Hello Magazine. I have to agree with the Ms. Rebecca English, who quoted one of the courtiers saying, "It's just a bit, well, WAG-ish."
Just like everything else we hear about famous people, soon to be famous people and the likewise, until we actually know them, we shouldn't hold any judgements against them. I am sure they are great people but perhaps they made a poor choice, they are only human after all. Reminds me very much of the writings the "rags" published on Mary Donaldson about meeting Prince Frederick at a pub in Sydney during the 2000 Summer Olympics. Now they just can't get enough of her. Remember how badly and arrogantly the "Brisitsh Papers" treated Camilla and others alike in the her circle. Perhaps the writers and editors should back off and let these kids live their lives. And I hope the British people will also. It's none of anyones business and we should all stop with these "elitist" attitudes about and towards these folks and how they should and shouldn't behave!

MM

Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

First and foremost, I have not passed any negative judgements on Ms. Kelly. At the same time, I do have a right to express my opinion about the choice in question. In my opinion, doing photo spreads and selling stories are good for celebrities including WAGs and actors/actresses, but not for members of the Royal Family.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Nobility

I second that! It seems a bit unseemly to cash in on being the grandson of the Queen. "Tacky" is the word that comes to mind.

Cat
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaratop View Post
Wag-ish indeed. They should, at best donate that money to a charity, shame on them both for selling out to a glossy celeb magazine given their financial situation (a few million from his Granny as has been reported)...
They are private citizens who happen to be related to Royality. It's their right to do with the pictures of their wedding whatever they wish. It's not as if Peter gets money from the state for living and his wedding is financed by the taxpayer. There is a market for the pics, people are interested to see them and they selected a buyer. That buyer was not the D.... Mail. So it's clear why the Mail is not happy about the deal at all.

If someone is making money out of a private person, it's only right they should give part of the money to the person involved. Or not?

BTW - the article says that Peter only inherited a share in his great-grandmother's estate. As she had two daughters and 6 grandchildren and (I think) about 10 great-grandchildren at the moment of her death, I doubt his share as a great-grandchild was that much.

If you take a look at the comments about the fact that we did not see more than one pic of the christening of Viscount Severn, I personally am glad to be able to see more coverage of this wedding.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Smile Royal Connections do matter in this case...Am I correct?

The couple in question has got this spread namely because of their royal connections, not because of their personal achievements as private well-to-do or rich citizens. If Peter Phillips were not the grandson of the Her Majesty, there would be little or no interest to them at all.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Nobility

Regardless of how much money Peter did or did not inherit from his grandmother, I still think it was a tacky thing to do. They have pretty much precluded any chance of leading normal lives out of the spotlight and have placed themselves directly in its glaring glory. Maybe that was the plan, but hey, they are the ones who have to live with the fallout.

Cat
Old 05-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Regardless of how much money Peter did or did not inherit from his grandmother, I still think it was a tacky thing to do. They have pretty much precluded any chance of leading normal lives out of the spotlight and have placed themselves directly in its glaring glory. Maybe that was the plan, but hey, they are the ones who have to live with the fallout.

Cat
Cat, you're right in this. But that was their choice and they made it. To call it WAG-ish if someone sells the pics of his wedding to an more than interested public is what I don't think fair. There's a market for these pics and they used their chance. Why not? I have no doubt they talked it through with the queen and the Princess Royal and both agreed.

After all anne gets no money form the taxpayer but has to suffer the intrusion into her life only because of her Royal connections. So why should her son not make some money out of it?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

I must say that I enjoyed the pre-wedding interview in Hello magazine and I hope that there is some exclusive pics in the same magazine of the day itself. However, it cannot be denied that Peter and Autumn have now left themselves wide open for press intrusion. They have openly discussed, for example, when they want to have children and how many so they will not really be in a position to complain if and when the press take an interest in their future offspring. For the reported £500,000 they have earned from this I think they have traded an anonimity and privacy that they perhaps took for granted and will regret, in the long term, losing.

P.S. And please don't give me the sob story about Peter being desperate for cash. We can discuss verbatim about trust funds, legacies etc. Suffice to say that he comes from a family that are monstrously wealthy and I am sure that he is very rich indeed ie the Hello deal is just pure greed.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
P.S. And please don't give me the sob story about Peter being desperate for cash. We can discuss verbatim about trust funds, legacies etc. Suffice to say that he comes from a family that are monstrously wealthy and I am sure that he is very rich indeed ie the Hello deal is just pure greed.
The reports that the Queen Mum left an estate of six million pounds seem rather at odds with the reports when she died that the Queen had payed off her overdraft!
However, if her estate of six mill was split only with her great-grandchildren that would mean only around half a million pounds each (& James wouldn't have anything unless a provision was made for future children of Edward, Andrew, David & Sarah). If a provision was made then the amount inherited by each individual would have been much less.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Serene Highness

I don't believe in following wills etc to the letter as I don't think that the wealth of people like Peter Phillips can be so tidily explained. That is not an invitation for a detailed breakdown of how much money he is supposed to "officially" have it is simply my opinion that wealthy dynasties have always found ways and means of passing their money down to the next generation without too much scrutiny and in the case of the Windsors I have never bought into the theory that any of them are short of cash .
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela View Post
. . . .Suffice to say that he comes from a family that are monstrously wealthy and I am sure that he is very rich indeed ie the Hello deal is just pure greed.
Or more likely an attempt to "control" the media thirst for the inside scoop on the wedding. Doing an interview probably seemed like a small price to pay for some degree of privacy.

Just a thought, does anyone actually know what they are going to do with the money?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Nobility

If I remember correctly, the Queen Mother's estate didn't consist of much in the way of liquid assets, mainly jewels and property. I believe she owned some sort of parkland in England, didn't someone get in trouble for building a road on it a few years ago? I'm not sure if she owned Glamis Castle in Scotland or if it is even still in the Bowles-Lyons family. I assume/hope it is still in the family.

At any rate, the bulk her estate was left to her daughter as Queen to avoid estate tax. One assumes QEII distributed it in accordance with her mother's wishes. As far as any actual money, there probably wasn't much for Peter or any of the other grandchildren and great grands.

Cat
Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
If I remember correctly, the Queen Mother's estate didn't consist of much in the way of liquid assets, mainly jewels and property. I believe she owned some sort of parkland in England, didn't someone get in trouble for building a road on it a few years ago? I'm not sure if she owned Glamis Castle in Scotland or if it is even still in the Bowles-Lyons family. I assume/hope it is still in the family.

At any rate, the bulk her estate was left to her daughter as Queen to avoid estate tax. One assumes QEII distributed it in accordance with her mother's wishes. As far as any actual money, there probably wasn't much for Peter or any of the other grandchildren and great grands.Cat
Glamis passed down the male line through the Queen Mothers brothers & their offspring. If I recall correctly the current Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne is her great nephew.

As for the trusts, I seem to recall that the funds were put into a trust for her great grandchildren in the early 1980's and were divided up when she died. Nothing unusual about that, most rich people create trusts for their offspring.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
The reports that the Queen Mum left an estate of six million pounds seem rather at odds with the reports when she died that the Queen had payed off her overdraft!
However, if her estate of six mill was split only with her great-grandchildren that would mean only around half a million pounds each (& James wouldn't have anything unless a provision was made for future children of Edward, Andrew, David & Sarah). If a provision was made then the amount inherited by each individual would have been much less.
Louise wouldn't have anything either then, because the Queen Mother died in 2002 and Louise was born in 2003.

I know Peter and Autumn were paid a fairly enormous amount of money for this interview, but I wouldn't necessarily say the money, or greed, was what motivated them to do the interview. With Peter being the first grandson of the queen to marry, I'm sure there were more than a few media outlets pressuring them to do an interview. If it were a case of Peter and Autumn going to the papers and asking to sell their story that would be one thing, but it seems probable that the papers were after them. And if magazines are asking for your story and you're about to get married and excited enough to tell the world how you fell in love, why not?

I don't have a huge problem with what Peter and Autumn did, all things considered. Fame is an odd thing which more often than not has little to do with a person's worthwhile accomplishments (think Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, who seems to be in the news more frequently the more mistakes she makes). Sure, Peter and Autumn are taking advantage of the fact that Peter was born royal, but they're not the first royals to be in Hello!...Princess Anne was in the first issue.

It's just the way the world works, the rich and famous-for-no-reason have more opportunities than others. Not particularly fair maybe, and I think it would have probably been a better decision for Peter and Autumn not to sell their story. But they did, and it seems pretty harmless, not some blatant expose of their private lives.

It's their decision to invite the public into their lives, now they'll have to deal with the consequences (increased public interest).
Old 05-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda View Post
It is illegal in British law to make provision for children not yet born. If the amount was to evenly split only already living children would inherit as was the case with George VIII which only Anne and Charles got money from, simply because the others weren't alive yet.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Courtier

I am looking forward to seeing this spread in Hello...and whether it is as tacky as people are saying. But it's easy to cast Autumn in whatever light the media wants to since so little is known about her and furthermore how little is known about Peter. I mean can anyone even name an ex-girlfriend he had, I don't remember him ever having much attention...
Old 05-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

It was reported The Queen Mother created an irrevocable trust with her remaining liquid assets, estimated at approximately $10 million, in 1984. The trust paid an income to all of her great-grandchildren, with the exception of William, for her lifetime. Upon her death, the trust dissolved and the principal was distributed in equal shares to her grandchildren, excluding Charles.

That means Anne, Andrew, Edward, Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah split the remaining money, which was estimated to be about $5 million. Her great-grandchildren probably received about $100,000 annually for 15 years, undoubtedly to provide for their expenses and education, but not enough to become wealthy.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Nobility

Transcript: Peter & Autumn's pre-wedding interview with Hello!

I find it interesting that Daily Mail as always starts attacking one of the most private royal members, in this case Peter and Autumn. Perhaps its ticked off, neither couple had a sit down with them, which might amount to them claiming Hello paid them off. Besides, if Autumn was tacky or money hungry, then its funny way of suddenly materializing after 4 years of dating a non-titled son of a Princess who works for a living and not on taxpayers payroll. I'll post few snippet of the actual Hello Transcript which is far from all the trash the tabloid media stated:

Quote:
What’s your state of mind as the wedding day nears?
Autumn:
“Excited, nervous … I’m probably feeling what any bride would feel in the run-up to her big day. But there’s still a lot of preparation to do, which seems harder as I’m working full time. The last meeting about flowers had to be at 6.30am! So it’s full-on – not much of a rest until the honeymoon!”
Peter: “I’m quite glad I’ve got over the stag do! I think, for me, it’s plain sailing from here.”

Yours is the first royal wedding of your generation.
P: “So it’s raised a few interesting issues concerning the formalities of the service and how it’s all meant to work Obviously with my grandparents being who they are, there are set precedents for various events but for this one – the marriage of a grandchild – there are no precedents. It’s been quite fun and it’s also going to be very different. When various other members of my generation get married, it’s likely to be on a much grander scale. I don’t think Autumn and I are pathfinders as such, but we are laying some ground work.”

Peter, do you warrant special treatment as the first grandchild?
“No! Having said that, Granny and Grandpa have been incredibly kind allowing us to get married in St George’s and holding the reception at Frogmore. Their generosity has been above and beyond what we could have expected and hoped for. It’s going to make the day that much more special, because essentially I grew up between Gatcombe and Windsor, where we spent Christmas and Easter. So Frogmere holds many happy memories for me. We used to run round the gardens and have our Easter egg hunts there. To get married there is a huge honour and it’s very touching that they allowed us to do it. I asked because it’s never been done but also because Frogmore is a very special place for the Queen and the Duke, so it’s even more special for us.”

It’s special to the Queen because her late parents spent part of their honeymoon there.
A: “It’s also very Peter. He had his heart set on it. He’s chosen well because it’s beautiful and romantic with a gorgeous lake and stunning scenery.”

It is also a long way from the tent where you first met. Tell us the story.
P: “It was June 2003 at the Montreal Grand Prix. I was working for BMW Williams and Autumn was working in the main BMW hospitality suite. I had to take Ralph Schumacher there for a guest appearance. Whilst he was doing his best up on stage this rather attractive young lady appeared and we started chatting away. I came back later to invite her to the post-race party.”
A: “He came back twice and I wasn’t there. When we did catch up, I still wasn’t sure I was going to go, as I was still at university and Sunday night was a ‘school night’! Peter gave me four tickets so that I could bring along three girlfriends. It was a post-race Formula One party so it wasn’t too hard to convince my friends to come and meet this gorgeous English guy I wanted to see again. But I’d never actually given his name.”
P: “I had to ask one of my colleagues what she was called. He asked me which of the two girls I meant, and when I said ‘the really good-looking one’, he told me she was Megan.”

So you were wrong footed from the start…
A: “At the party, Peter came over with that big, gorgeous smile he has and I said, ‘You don’t actually know my name.’ ‘Of course I do!’ he announced, all very proud. ‘It’s Megan’ ‘No,’ I said, ‘It’s not!’”
P: “At which point I wished the ground would open up and swallow me whole.”

Undisclosed identity was a bit of a feature in your early relationship…
A: “I had no idea who Peter was. We had a fun night, met for coffee the next day and started e-mailing when he went back to England. I’d never heard of Peter or Zara Phillips. Maybe six weeks later, after talking on the phone every day, and making one weekend visit to see him, I was watching TV with my mum. It was a special for Prince William’s 21st birthday, and suddenly there was a film clip and a mention of Peter Phillips. ‘Hey Mum,’ I said, ‘That guy looks a lot like Peter.’ She told me to be quiet. The picture flashed up again and I said, ‘No seriously, Mum, that looks exactly like Peter.’ ‘Stop it, Autumn!’ she said. ‘I’m trying to watch TV.’ So I ran upstairs, looked on the internet and shouted down, ‘This is him! This is Peter.’ That was the point at which she said ‘Oh Autumn! What have you gotten yourself into?’ So literally Pete and I were together all that time and I had no idea.”

Why did you not tell her, Peter? Were you quite glad of some weeks just being incognito?
P: “There was no cause to mention it, no reason at all to tell her.”

Autumn, how come you hadn’t rumbled something on your weekend here together?
A: “We’d gone to Wimbledon and then just spent the weekend in Oxford, where Peter was living, doing our own thing. So I couldn’t know.”

When you found out, was there a sense of shock, of having a bit of truth withheld.
P: “She was a little bit angry!”
A: “Because then you start thinking ‘Oh my God!’ Everything starts going round in your head. By this stage, I’d already accepted a job here, and was moving over to England. So it just meant that everything seemed a little more complicated than I had originally thought. It kind of scared me actually, because I live a normal life and just get on with things. So there I was thinking, ‘Okay, it’s a big move, but I’ve met somebody, and even if it doesn’t work out between us, I’ll always have a friend…’ As it turned out, things weren’t so complicated because we continued to do our own thing anyway. We both work full time, enjoy our weekends and get on with our lives like anybody else.”

Were you coming over here expressly to be with Peter?
A: “It was weird: I met the CEO of the computer company that brought me over the same day and in the same suite where I met Peter. He wanted someone who spoke French and English; I’ve always loved travelling and I thought, ‘I’ve nothing to lose. It’s just a flight away from home’.”
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Commoner

MARRIAGE WRECK-ER
EXCLUSIVE Wills snubs Peter wedding Queen fears tacky mag deal
By Dean Rousewell Royal Editor
Prince William and his girlfriend Kate Middleton will miss his cousin's wedding after fears she would upstage the bride.
Peter Phillips, 30, will tie the knot with his Canadian fiancee Autumn Kelly, also 30, at Windsor on Saturday.
But William, 25, and Kate, 26, were so worried they'd wreck the occasion by stealing the limelight they cried off. Royal sources say the pair grew wary after Princess Anne's son and blonde Autumn signed a £500,000 deal with celebrity mag Hello!
A senior aide told The People: "William and Kate had provisionally agreed to go.
"But it became obvious there was a danger of the whole thing turning into a disaster. Kate was very concerned about how it would be seen if attention was focused on her. And when William heard about the mag deal his mind was made up.
"The Queen also thought it was a wise decision. Her motto has always been: 'Never let light in on the magic' - the Royals must retain their mystique. A holiday was arranged and William told Peter it was for the best."

Peter, who inherited almost £6million from the Queen Mum, has agreed 20 pages of coverage.

~A friend sent me this from the uk, but I don't know which papers are reliable sources and which are rags, so I don't know if it is valid or not, any comments?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Aristocracy

The Royal Family is SO public in Canada, I would think she might have known who he was from the start? In this day and age, most girls "Google" their new partners just to see if there is anything they can find out right away. Not very romantic, but cautious. She waited six weeks? She was to join the secret service!

Tags
autumn kelly, autumn phillips, engagement, line of succession, peter phillips, styles and titles, wedding preparations