The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Administrator

I see the usual Daily Mail nastiness is evident in the comment section. Surely I understand how a tax payer bailout might not be a popular opinion on either side of the pond (we aren't going to go off topic with that) but surely even the most educated Daily Mail reader understands that signing high profile sponsors is advertising for the bank. And while some might say you don't need to advertise while in a recession, as a former advertising consultant let me tell you YOU DO! You gotta get your name out there and let people know you are still open for business especially during an economic downturn.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

You need to advertise more during the hard times.
I once met a young Russian businessman at a mutual friend's gathering: he drove the latest flashy car (a Bentley), lived in Moscow's "millionaire district", threw away hundreds as tips to waiters and generally lived a life of a carefree billionaire. A couple of weeks later, I learnt that his firm was on the verge of bankruptcy and was battling to get a mortgage from the bank. Sometimes appearance is the best advertising - and the harder the times, the more advertising you need.

This is somewhat unfortunate time for Peter to lose a job. With second baby on the way, Peter and Autumn would need the extra cash. They are not going to be destitute, of course. But still...

Old 03-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Majesty

Sad that he lost a job since he is going to have another baby in a matter of days!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Serene Highness

I am also sad that he lost his job, not only because they are going to have another baby because I dont believe Peter nor his family are going to starve, I am sorry for him because he seems to be a stand up guy and has tried to make it on his merits not his name.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

He did resign remember. He wasn't sacked = ok there are reports that he was next for the chop but he still left on his terms not their's.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
He did resign remember. He wasn't sacked = ok there are reports that he was next for the chop but he still left on his terms not there's.
It is possible he was encouraged to resign. Offered a small settlement. Companies will often do it, with people who have done well with the company, but they need to down size. Looks better for their future job hunting as well, that they didn't get fired.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Serene Highness

Although everyone, regardless of who they are, deserves the dignity of employment let's remember that he resigned because he does have some level of financial security. He'll never be destitute nor collecting unemployment.

Is it true that the Queen Mother left a great deal of her money to her great-grandchildren not in direct line (read: those on the Civil List) to the throne?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Its been suggested that Peter (and of course Zara) are the beneficaries of a trust set up by the Queen Mother. We don't know the specifics of course. It has been discussed in this thread Trust Funds for the Queen's Children and Grandchildren .

Regarding Peter and Zara, please refer to this post by Lord Royal, notices that it refers to grandchildren not great grandchildren....so maybe the Queen Mother left them a legacy as well, or she might of the opinion (as some in older generations are) that she will take her of grandchildren, and her great grandchildren's grandmother will taker care of hers.(i.e. the Queen will take care of Peter, Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie, James and Louise, and maybe Harry. Excluding William who will eventually inheirit the Duchy of Cornwall). Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Royal View Post
Indeed, I am. The trust for Beatrice and Eugenie that Sarah has spoken of is the one made for them by The Queen when Andrew and Sarah divorced. Now, something murky happened in the late 1990s regarding the 500,000 pounds budgeted for a home for Sarah and the girls (the house in Windlesham was said by Sarah to be too expensive to run, so a house was never purchased) and I recall Sarah had a meeting with the trustees of the the B&E trust. I wonder if that 500,000 was added to the trust. ANYWAY...

There is usually two components to a trust: income and capital, both of which can be managed by the terms of the trust. From various articles we know that 1.4 million pounds was put into trust in 1996. Since that time the money has surely generated a substantial income. The trust instrument would explain if and how that income could be spent, the lifespan of the trust and other conditions. The simple fact of the matter is that there is absolutely no way to discern what the trust says since it is a private document. What can be said, without hesitation, is that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie cannot do as they please with the trust money, they will always have trustees to answer to.

However, the trust will be wound up (as all trusts have a determined lifespan, they cannot go on indefinitely) and at that point the Princesses will have free reign over their funds. Additionally, Saunders v Vaughtier tells us that an adult can collapse their trust at will. As both Princesses are over the age of 18, this may have occurred.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the Andrew and Sarah Divorce Trust 1996 is not the only trust B&E are beneficiaries of. The late HM The Queen Mother established trusts in 1994, totaling 19 million pounds (the vast majority of her cash) for the benefit of her grandchildren so that none of them had to pay any taxes or duties.

So there are certainly two trusts that benefit the York Princesses. There could be as much as 6 million pounds of capital in The Queen Mother 1994 trust for the York girls. We'll never really know.

They should focus on charity and enhancing their image. The role Princess Alexandra fills would be ideal for them.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
Is it true that the Queen Mother left a great deal of her money to her great-grandchildren not in direct line (read: those on the Civil List) to the throne?

Those in 'direct line' - I assume you mean Charles and William - aren't actually on the Civil List. There are only two people who are and they aren't actually in the line of succession (well one is = about 480th) = The Queen and Philip, who is in the line of succession in his own right as a descendent of Queen Victoria.

Everyone else is supported by either The Queen herself or Charles (he supports Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as well as himself). The Queen supports Andrew and family, Edward and family, Anne and family as well as repays the expenses of the Gloucesters and Kents.

As for Peter he will find something because some company will like to have the Queen's grandson on their payroll.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Just thinking that with a new baby, the Jubilee and the Olympics coming up, it would be great if Peter could afford to be out of work through the summer and really take advantage of his free time.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

no news about the baby yet???
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Serene Highness

I would also like to know how savannah is doing.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
no news about the baby yet???
Nope. When Savannah arrived it was very quiet with coverage appearing over a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
I would also like to know how savannah is doing.
We probably won't really know anything about Savannah until she's a teen. Peter & Autumn are leading the life they want, quiet and simple away from prying eyes. We'll probably see her in a picture when her sibling is born.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

The wait for the new baby becomes long for me !!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

I imagine we'll only ever seen Savannah in family group images as she grows up. She will be kept out of the limelight, which is how she should be.

I hope we hear of the new baby's name properly, and not through a slip up from the Minister like we did with Savannah. Is that not how her name got out?

I am sure Peter has plenty of money lying around as the Queen Mother reportedly left money aside for her great grandchildren (not Louise or James though), which he probably got in installments.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

yeah, now is a moda keep the british royal babies in the dark. louise, fter she born only the hoospital's door and the oficial photos, james only in the hospital's door and later in the feria when he was 1 1/2 years old, and the first time we see savannah wan when she was 3 months old. I missed the old times when we the the wonderful pictures in the hospital, or the official family photos. the william and harry was more formal images, but beatrice and eugenie was so cute images. I really hope to this jubilee we can see a image with ALL the family, with kids too. I was so sad when in 2007 was a oficial photos for the queen marriage aniversary louise don't was there.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have a little question., savannah in her christening udes the origical grow or was a replica like james?
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Savannah used the same gown as James. The original has been 'retired' to preserve it and all future children will wear the new gown that was first worn by James.

We won't see much of these kids growing up simply because they are so far from the throne.

We will see more of William and Kate's children and even Harry's as they will be the granchildren of the next monarch.

The Philips' are more like the Gloucesters and Kents - very minor and not central so allowed a private upbringing.

If you think about it the way the public wants photos of these children and thus robbing them of much of their childhood as they have to be aware of the photographers and even the public with their ubiquitous cameras in phones these days is tantamount to child abuse by the public. Let the kids grow up in peace = ask youself how you would feel if every time you took your kids anywhere there would be a posse of photographers and even other members of the public prepared to take photos of your child to sell to the papers? Then you might start to respect the parents' of these children and their desire to have their kids grow up aware from the public glare.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Nobility

Adorable pictures of Savannah

As a bonus there are also some pictures of Lady Davina and her family too. (She's also expecting again.)

Getty Images - Search: GBR: Gatcombe Horse Trials - Day 1#
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

That's how you should eat Ice Cream as a kid!
Savannah Phillips Eats An Ice Cream As She Attends The

Tags
autumn phillips, peter phillips