Peter Phillips and Family News and Events 2: Nov 2005- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cousins are labeled by generations. Peter and William are first cousins. Their children are second cousins (Savannah/Isla and George). Because William and Savannah are one generation apart, they are first cousins, once removed. Savannah and George's children will be third cousins. But George and Savannah's children will be second cousins, once removed. And William would be first cousin, twice removed, from Savannah's children. I hope that's even remotely understandable! :lol:

No.

Cousins are labeled by generations removed from a common ancestor.

The Phillips girls and George are both great-grandchildren of HM and the DoE, making them second cousins - their fathers are first cousins, they are second cousins.

William and the Phillips girls are first cousins once removed, as they're on different generational levels.

If William is the first cousin of her father then isn't his cousins child his second cousin and George's third?

No Savannah would be first cousin once removed to William. Savannah and George are second cousins. Daily Fail strikes again!

Depends on how you count cousins - the 'once removed' situation is done in some countries but not in others. I would count Savannah as a second cousin to William because that is how I was taught, by my English grandmother, to count cousins. Count the links and that is the numbers - so Savannah and George are three links apart and hence third cousins. - Savannah - Peter - William - George. That is also how everyone I know counts cousins - the 'once removed' stuff seems more American to me.

If you study genealogy you will find that William and Savannah are first cousins once removed. Start with Queen Elizabeth. Her children are Charles and Anne. Their children are Peter and William which makes them 1st cousins. The next generation is Savannah and George who are second cousins.
If you were taught different I would suggest a good genealogy program.

I was taught that and everyone I know uses that - including people who do study genealogy. As I said - that 'once removed' came from the Americans while the English/Irish didn't do that and I will stick with what I was taught by my family and by my university when studying this sort of thing.

I'm American and my relatives do not do the "once removed" thing. I learned it through ancestry.com. My friend who is my grandmother's brother's grandson is my third cousin and we have always called each other Cuz.

Last edited:
I have never understood the whole "second, third cousins" malarkey and I doubt I ever will.

You must have a need to understand it. It can be very important when you are trying to track medical issues, and trying to see who needs to be tested. I wasn't interested until I married my husband and was trying to untangle his family. His grandfather on his Mother's side had 3 wives and 23 children. His grandmother's Mother had been married twice. When I would ask how they were kin, no one could answer. I used the LDS genealogy and finally figured it all out. I had to find actual birth records to sort it all out. It really turned into a fascinating hobby for me. We also solved the medical questions. I came from an easy family to sort, so I wasn't used to all the variables. But I did enjoy putting it all together.

I wasn't taught by any member of my family - indeed I was asked by members of my family to work it out and tell them - so I had to find it on the internet and it seems I found the American method because I use the "once removed" method, and though I usually opt for an English method over an American method, I'm going to stick with this one because it makes perfect sense to me. It prescribes a nice, clear way of determining each individual's relationship to each other individual.

Does Autumn currently work outside the home or is she a stay at home mom?

Pictures:
Peter Phillips pushes daughter Isla Phillips in her pushchair, whilst eldest daughter Savannah Phillips walks the family dog along with Autumn Phillips as they attend The Duke of Beaufort's Hunt Point-to-Point Race meet in Didmarton on March 1, 2014 near Sherston, England-
Search - Getty Images : GBR: The Duke of Beaufort's Hunt Holds A Point-to-Point Race

It's always nice to see the Phillips's out and about.

Last edited:
Is a pushchair the same thing as a stroller? I have never encountered "pushchair" before.

Is a pushchair the same thing as a stroller? I have never encountered "pushchair" before.
Yes, "pushchair" is what they were always referred to as here until maybe the last twenty years. :flowers:

:previous: Interesting. I can remember back to the mid-1960s and I've never heard of a pushchair here.

I have heard pushchair and stroller used interchangeable - strange - shows the difference in our language can even exist within the same city let alone country.

Maybe I have heard pushchair and assumed they were talking about a wheelchair.

Two little girls are so adorable :in_love:
I love Savannah's curly hair! Isla is so growing up.

Delightful pix and such

.... a nice family.... sorry !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the story, especially Autumn winning a fish for Savannah.

Savannah is such a cutie.

The family is always smiling & having fun. Such a lovely family.

What fun to jump up and swing holding hands between two grown ups! This family looks so very well adjusted.

I always enjoy seeing these type of photos of the Phillips Family. Loved the photos of Savannah and her fishy friend.

Yes it is. We also call strollers/pushchairs "buggies" in the UK. When speaking about a newborn/young baby's pushchair, we don't usually use the word "pram" any more and refer to them as buggies too. :flowers:

LOL - they are so playful. I like the one where Autumn is carrying Isla like a sack of potatoes. Also the one where Savannah is madly leaping! And of course, Dad's smooch! Thanks.

I like how we get regular photos of Savannah and Isla attending various horse trials. Savannah is very cute and seems to be quite bubbly, she reminds me a lot of Lady Louise. Isla is adorable too, and I love her 'walking baby' look, as my mother and I call it. I'm looking forward to the near future, where we'll hopefully get lots of photos of a toddler Mia playing with her older cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom