It's a Girl for Zara and Mike - Lena Elizabeth Tindall: June 18, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Girl for Zara and Mike: June 18, 2018

Savannah, Isla, Mia.... I am curious to see if they’ll follow the pattern of ending with an a/ah that we’ve seen for Princess Anne’s grandchildren. (And daughter, Zara) Maybe Anna?

Probably just as likely that they won’t but it’s fun to speculate.

My cat Zelda knows the “ah” sound as well as her name, so a couple of times when my mom has called upstairs for me, Zelda has poked her head around the corner, and has that look on her face that says “Here I am!” Then my mom tells her “No, not Zelda; Sarah!”

Like it much better now I've seen how they r pronouncing it!

Mike has confirmed pronounciation on twitter.

Lena - Pronounced like Lay-na
Mia - No Mia is Me-a

Here all my grandchildren [and back even in my day] the hospital in which delivery took place has you sign birth registration and files it with proper Board of Health. All were accomplished prior to leaving hospital. I thought that was the norm all over. We are sent the "pretty hospital certificate with child's foot print on mother's thumb print on it and then B of H sends official with municipal seal. If you want another, you can send to your state board and get another copy for a nice cost.

I think most parents do it that way. With both my kids, we took the paperwork home and filed ourselves. My oldest didn't have a name for 5 days after his birth. He had a middle and a last, obviously, but we had a hard time with his first.

I pronounced Lena, Lay-na naturally, do others pronounce it LEE=nah?

Palmer confirmed it as well. I assume it has been a press release. Cute name. I have a feeling we will see at least one more Elizabeth with a royal baby.

Maybe eventual Eugenie and Jack's daughter?:flowers:
Eugenie is the only Queen's granddaughter who doesn't have Elizabeth among her names.

My cat Zelda knows the “ah” sound as well as her name, so a couple of times when my mom has called upstairs for me, Zelda has poked her head around the corner, and has that look on her face that says “Here I am!” Then my mom tells her “No, not Zelda; Sarah!”

?:flowers:

Lena Elizabeth is a lovely name!

Don’t they pronounce Mia like Maya? That one always struck me as odd and not phonetic.

I suppose Lena is Layna as in the end of Magdalena, though that has different pronunciations too. Lena makes me think of Ole and Lena jokes. Different pronunciations make it a different association.

Don’t they pronounce Mia like Maya? That one always struck me as odd and not phonetic.

I suppose Lena is Layna as in the end of Magdalena, though that has different pronunciations too. Lena makes me think of Ole and Lena jokes. Different pronunciations make it a different association.
Mike Tindall responded to a question by Marlene Koenig on Twitter earlier tonight and said the names are pronounced Lay-na and Me-a.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: No, Mia is Mee-a. While Lee-na seems the popular pronunciation in the US, Lay-na is more prominent in many countries in Europe. Its often a nickname for names like Magdalena which ends with a lay-na sound.

Very pretty name. It sounds lovely with Mia :flowers:

Both Peter and Zara used Elizabeth for their second daughter.

Gatcombe is sure to be filled with laughter at holidays with the four little girls soon to be running around. Mike already seems putty for Mia, I am sure Lena will be the same.

Possible that Lena Elizabeth will be Princess Anne's last grandchild.

Lena, simple and unique (among royal babies), I like it!

Anyway, I've always pronounced Lena as 'LAY-na' like in Elena, never 'LEE-na', so it's not a problem for me :flowers:

I like the fact that Elizabeth was used for the great-grandmother, The Queen.

Not a fan of the name. Reminds me of the character in A Raisin in the Sun.
Maybe because that is the only place I have seen the name Lena.
Or maybe I just like classic names.

I like how they pronounce it better than we do in the U.S.

Lay -na sounds better Lee- nuh

Not a fan of the name itself, but I like the pronounciation, Lay-na is way better tha Lee-na. And I always thought Mia was pronounced like Mia in Princess Diaries movie, glad I was not wrong, I don't like the Maya version.

I love the way they pronounce it. My 10-year-old niece is named Helena. But you better pronounce it correctly or she will politely correct you, something she's been doing since she started school at 5.

It makes sense when the 'lena' is at the end of a name, but even then the pronunciation can vary. Consider Helena: one can say He-lay-na, but also He-leh-na as well as He-lee-na. Seeing 'Lena' as a stand alone I am inclined to say Lee-na rather than Lay-na. :flowers:

Congratulations to the family! Lena Elizabeth is a gorgeous name, and it's a coincidence because I have always liked Magdalena Elisabeth with the nickname Lena for a future child of my own. Great minds must think alike :D
Lena is certainly unexpected and out of the blue! I was expecting them to go for a name that's unique amongst royal circles but more common amongst us regular folks, such as Olivia or Sienna.
I also naturally pronounce Lena as Mike and Zara do so the pronunciation isn't an issue for me. I prefer it to the "lee-nuh" pronunciation which I'd spell as Lina.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom