The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 AM
Aristocracy

Congratulations to Zara and Mike! A little sister for Mia! They must all be over-the-moon happy. :)

Old 06-20-2018, 02:59 AM
Serene Highness

Congratulations!!

Old 06-20-2018, 02:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Can't wait to hear the name!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The palace statement refers to Zara as Mrs Michael Tindall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She could, but formally hr correct title is Mrs Michael Tindall. Mrs Zara Tindall would strictly speaking indicate she was a divorcee. Glad to hear she hs had the baby,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They always do. Just as a wife takes all of her husband's titles e.g. Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus so a wife whose husband doesn't have a title takes on his name - Mrs Michael Tindall. It is no different to Princess Michael of Kent.

To call her Mrs Zara Tindall would say she was the divorced wife of Mike not his wife in the same way as Diana went from HRH The Princess of Wales to Diana, Princess of Wales.
My understanding is that most Britons today refer to a married women by her own first name if her husband does not have a title. The Prime Minister is commonly called Mrs. May/Theresa May, rather than Mrs. Philip May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Are Mike Tindall’s parents divorced then ?
I don't think so.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Zara must have been overdue based on the weight of the baby; my almost 10-year-old cousin once removed was 10 days late and 9 lbs. 6 oz, and her almost 6-year-old cousin who was born by scheduled C-section was 9 lbs. 9 oz; they’re the same height despite being nearly 4 years apart in age.
My now 26-year-old son weighed in at 10lbs 9oz and he was a week EARLY and a fully natural birth (no medication). I'm really glad he didn't wait!
Old 06-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

I don't think so.

The reason I asked is that the Palace's statement referred to Zara as "Mrs Michael Tindall", but referred to Michael's mother by her first name rather than her husband's. Applying Denville's logic, that inconsistency would only make sense if Michael's parents were divorced.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The reason I asked is that the Palace's statement referred to Zara as "Mrs Michael Tindall", but referred to Michael's mother by her first name rather than her husband's. Applying Denville's logic, that inconsistency would only make sense if Michael's parents were divorced.
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say Mike's mother refers to herself as Mrs. Linda Tindall and the Palace goes along with her preference even if they are internally grumbling 'should be Mrs. Philip Tindall'.

One reason I think this, is that Philip and Linda are being mentioned by name in the first place. For Savannah and Isla, Autumn's parents weren't mentioned by name. Same with George, Charlotte, and Louis' birth announcements, neither Michael or Carole were mentioned by name. So with the Tindalls already bucking tradition by asking for his parents to be included, they may as well style Linda's name the way she wants.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
My now 26-year-old son weighed in at 10lbs 9oz and he was a week EARLY and a fully natural birth (no medication). I'm really glad he didn't wait!

Ouch, an unmedicated 10lb 9oz week early delivery! That must have hurt! Joy Duggar’s son was a day late at 10lbs 3oz (C-section) and there was all this talk that she conceived before her wedding (given their strict affection rules) seeing as how big she was compared to her gestation.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Nobility

I really don't remember how long it was after Mia's birth that Mike confirmed her name on Twitter but I seem to recall that it wasn't long. Anyone else have a better idea of the timeline?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
My guess for the baby's names is: Lily Rose. The seem to prefer popular names: Lily is number 7 on the 2016 list (and would be a nice nod to great-grandmother Lilibeth) and if they are looking for another 1 syllable second name Rose might be a good contender.

Rose was Margaret’s middle name.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:30 AM
Majesty

What about Ava or Ella? Short and snappy, goes with Tindall...
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
My understanding is that most Britons today refer to a married women by her own first name if her husband does not have a title. The Prime Minister is commonly called Mrs. May/Theresa May, rather than Mrs. Philip May.
Just because the majority of people do things that way doesn't mean that it is correct etiquette.

No one complains that Kate uses her husband's titles but they do complain when Zara is referred to by her husband's name yet it is the same thing.

Personally I don't think a woman should ever change from their birth names but BP follows the rules of etiquette even if the majority of the British public do not.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Commoner

Wonderful news! Big baby girl . Curious about her name.

I am happy Mia has a sibling.

I had a hunch Zara would have a girl.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Rose was Margaret’s middle name.
Which is part of the reason that it is a nice touch - and it sounds nice (another one syllable name I could think of was 'Joy' which would go well with 'Grace'). Lady Margarita also has Rose as one of her middle names.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Aren't babies great! Our PM gave birth to a wee girl yesterday and we're all waiting for her name to be announced too.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Just because the majority of people do things that way doesn't mean that it is correct etiquette.

No one complains that Kate uses her husband's titles but they do complain when Zara is referred to by her husband's name yet it is the same thing.

Personally I don't think a woman should ever change from their birth names but BP follows the rules of etiquette even if the majority of the British public do not.
I agree your point that BP is following correct etiquette but there is a difference between being referred to by a husband's name versus a husband's title. Kate is the Duchess of Cambridge not William, Duchess of Cambridge. Otherwise people would complain about that as well.

In the United States it is now considered proper etiquette to refer to a married woman by her own name - Mrs. Zara Tindall.

Guide to Addressing Correspondence - The Emily Post Institute, Inc.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Technically Kate is Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge. Simply she is never called that because they use her title instead. Unfortunately for Prince Michael's wife, he has no title, so she has been Princess Michael for decades.

Its pretty standard etiquette in most countries for the last few decades that a married woman be referred to by her own first name. The days of Mr John Smith's wife being Mrs John Smith are considered antiquated not proper by most people. My parents have been married for 45 years, if someone called my mother Mrs William... she'd not respond. She joined his family, she didn't give up her identity.

Anyways back to news.....congratulations to the whole family

Was kind of picturing a grandson for Anne but a little sister for Mia is so much fun. Mike will have 2 little girls with him wrapped about their pinkies.

I look forward to hearing what name they have chosen for the newest.

Size doesn't denote a late birth (could but not always). Many early babies are big. Average birth weight has gone up. I was 8 days late, and was only 7 pounds.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tulip View Post
Wonderful news! Big baby girl . Curious about her name.

It will be intresting altough this baby girl probably gets some quiet common name. New baby is probably low enough on succession line that parents can give pretty much whatever name want, right? Zara and Mia aren't very usual names in BRF.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say Mike's mother refers to herself as Mrs. Linda Tindall and the Palace goes along with her preference even if they are internally grumbling 'should be Mrs. Philip Tindall'.

One reason I think this, is that Philip and Linda are being mentioned by name in the first place. For Savannah and Isla, Autumn's parents weren't mentioned by name. Same with George, Charlotte, and Louis' birth announcements, neither Michael or Carole were mentioned by name. So with the Tindalls already bucking tradition by asking for his parents to be included, they may as well style Linda's name the way she wants.
Generally, it is polite to call people by the style that they want. if Mike's mother wants to be Mrs Linda T, then that's how she should be mentioned,.... But stricltly speaking Zara is either Ms Z Phillips (if she uses her own name) or Mrs Michael Tindall....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Karl II View Post
It will be intresting altough this baby girl probably gets some quiet common name. New baby is probably low enough on succession line that parents can give pretty much whatever name want, right? Zara and Mia aren't very usual names in BRF.
True the Phllipses tend to go In for unusual names.. Savannah, Isla, Mia etc.... Wonder what the new baby will be called...
Old 06-23-2018, 01:35 PM
Majesty

She is already five days old and still no name announcing?

Congrats to parents, big sister, grandparents and great-grandparents!