The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Royal Highness

Congratulation to happy parents and 'big' sister.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Congrats! I can't wait to see her!

Old 03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Elizabeth was chosen probably to honour not only QEII, but also the Queen Mother, whose Death Anniversary is today, the`day after the birth.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Do we know for a fact that they had to choose traditional names? Zara wasn't particularly traditional. Obviously, William had to be given a name befitting a future King, but wasn't it also a means of Charles honouring his late cousin Prince William of Gloucester? I can imagine that for all the other royal grandchildren it was more or less up to their parents.

Traditional names are very popular among the upper class in the UK. I certainly don't think the Queen is like Queen Victoria, more or less vetoing the name of any of her descendants if they didn't suit her.
I would assume that HM is very sensitive about using that veto power as it was used against her own parents and probably had some lingering hard feelings. I have often heard the story of how her mother had wanted to name her sister Anne (IIRC it may have even been Anne Margaret), but that King George V had vetoed it and had 'suggested' Margaret instead... hence Princess Margaret Rose of York was christened. I always assumed that is why the Queen named her own daughter Anne to be sensitive to her mother. I am sure except for in cases of direct lineage to the throne, she would be very discreet in using that power.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sincerely I don't like the name Isla, it doesn't have any special meaning or charm, but I liked anyway the double combination, using the classical English royal name Elizabeth.
This year is definitely the year of baby-girls.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Isla (Eye-la) is not exactly an unknown name north of the border in Scotland.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Courtier

Isla Elizabeth rolls very nicely off the tounge.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

So happy for them what a great way for me to start my day! Congrats!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobility

Congratulations to the family!!!
Beautiful name for little baby.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

What a beautiful name and Congratulations to the little Family, the Grandparents and Great Grandparents!!

I can't wait to see the little one!! :oD
Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
What name did Queen Victoria veto?
Perhaps 'veto' isn't the best term. Victoria was enormously influential when it came to the names of her grandchildren. They more or less all have the names Albert, Victor or Victoria in there somewhere. The future Edward VII and Queen Alexandra named their first born son and heir Prince Albert Victor, although he was always known within the family as Eddy, suggesting to me that perhaps Albert Victor hadn't been their first choice. Victoria was always very much involved in the naming and seems to have got her way most, if not all the time.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I didn't know how the name was pronounced, so was glad you posted this. I would have pronounced it Is-la (with a short "i" and soft "s"). Congratulations to the family on their new little bundle of joy.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations to all family Lovely name
Old 03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
diana choose william, charles want to call him arthur. and i think louise was named elzaneth too, I right?
I know this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone know if this is true? I could've sworn William was named after Prince William of Gloucester who was something of a personal hero for Prince Charles.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I know this is off-topic (sorry!), but does anyone know if this is true? I could've sworn William was named after Prince William of Gloucester who was something of a personal hero for Prince Charles.
That's the only version of William's naming I've ever heard as well.
Both the Wikipedia article on William of Glouceester and the Daily Mail article support that as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Congratulations to the family!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Gentry

The future Edward VII & Alexandra didn't name their elder son, Queen Victoria did. Their choice was Edward (hence the family's name of Eddy) but one of the father's younger brothers broke the news that their mother had beaten him to the punch with Albert Victor.

The Prince William of Gloucester story has only surfaced recently. In 1982 the story was "there hasn't been a William in the family for some time." The tale about Prince Charles wanting Arthur has been around a long time too.

All best wishes to Isla Elizabeth! A fine nod to her great grandmama in Diamond Jubilee year, and to her great great grandmama as we commemorate 10 years since the great lady's death.

Must confess to an Australian snigger thanks to Isla Fisher from Home & Away!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

A little Aries girl named Isla Elizabeth - how lovely!
Congratulations to Autumn, Peter and the big sister Savannah as well as congrats to the entire BRF!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

An Aries granddaughter should get along very well with her Leo grandma (Princess Anne)!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I was on my way to ask how to pronounce her name when I noted your post. Thank you for that.