Daughter for Peter and Autumn: Savannah Phillips - December 30, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For Baby Phillips to be named Savannah makes me feel that the Windsors are not serious about being a reigning family because I cannot imagine Savannah Phillipps sitting on any commitees.

What!!!
Peter Phillips is so far away from the throne that his creative choice for his baby girl's name is imho irrelevant to the seriousness the Windsor show for their duties as a royal family.

I was impressed this morning reading on how many official events Savannah's great grandmother (at 84 mind you), grandmother and grand uncle Charlie had in 2010. The key players in the BRF take their jobs seriously.

and Savannah is not that creative or eccentric for a little girl's name. Winter on the other hand would have been.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to congratulate Peter & Autumn on the birth of their daughter. This was a very exciting year for the British Royal Family. I also like the name they chose, Savannah. I thought it was quite funny that the rector accidentally let the name slip, however, I'm sure the RF wasn't as enthused. I look forward to seeing pictures of Savannah in the future, although I know Peter & Autumn generally keep a low profile.

Congratulations! :)

I like the idea that it's got "Anne" in the name (sort of!) And barring a monumental disaster* she will eventually be so far down in the line of succession (certainly after Peter's cousins have babies ) that a Princess / Queen Savannah is highly unlikely!

* And when I say disaster I mean a tragedy involving the whole family - I'm not implying that the Phillips branch of the BRF would make terrible monarchs!

Last edited:
Congratulations to the happy couple on the birth of their little daughter, to Princess Anne on becoming a grandmother :flowers:and to the Queen and Prince Philip on becoming great-grandparents.

:previous::previous: No. She will not be Princess Savannah.

Peter doesn't hold a title as he descends from Princess Anne.
That's right. Titles are passed on through the father, and not the mother.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Baby Phillips to be named Savannah makes me feel that the Windsors are not serious about being a reigning family because I cannot imagine Savannah Phillipps sitting on any commitees.

You are absoluteky right, the Windosrs just do not appear to be interesting in being a reigning family. The monarch, her spouse and children hardly cvarry out any public engagements. They also do not seem to recognise that Savannah is unlikely to sit on any committees of royal significance.

What utter rubbsih, IMO!

Congratulations to the young couple on the birth of their daughter. I loved the name. It certainly has a Southern tinge and link to it. Even though I´m not American, I love to read about the Civil War.

I think that, if a child is in the direct line of succession, it will have a more traditional name. But junior members of the RF have used unusual names for about the last 30 years - as has the rest of the UK!

However, when a Monarch succeeds to the throne, they are asked what they wish to be called (a bit like the Pope!). Queen Victoria's name was Alexandrina Victoria, but she was called Victoria in the immediate family. The present Queen's father was Prince Albert, but chose the name George to reign with. So if, in the event of a calamity, young Savannah Phillips came to the throne, she could choose a more regal name to reign under.

Savannah is 12th in the line of succession for the time being. Kate and William have talked about having children; if they do as they're planning, and for example, let's say have 4 children, that would bump Savannah down to 16th. If Harry one day marries and has, say 2 children, Savannah will be bumped to 18th. Then there's Beatrice and Eugenie, and much later on, James and Louise if they so choose to marry when they're older and start families of their own. It's very unlikely that Savannah will ever be Queen of England. Granted it's not a favorite name of mine either - I was also expecting something more traditional - but given that her last name isn't Windsor, coupled with the name Savannah, she'll be likely to have a much more normal life than her cousins, which is probably what Peter and Autumn wanted.

I think Savannah is a lovely name. A friend of mine is named Savannah and she never became anything less due to her ''exotic'' name.

Will there still be an official announcement of the name?

There maybe an announcement on the website, other than that I doubt.

None there yet either. It still says "The baby’s name will be confirmed in due course."

Well, well, it remains a singularly inappropriate name for a monarch's great-grandchild, in my opinion. To my mind, a savannah is a particular sort of eco-system, predominantly (though not exclusively) in Africa.

However, the baby's mother is perfectly entitled to name her daughter as she chooses. That it seems to be fashionably American or Hollywood (as someone says) isn't really the point, though I suspect that that's what many, at least in Australia and the UK from what I've heard, have against it. Savannah is her parents' choice, and no doubt we'll become used to it.

After all -

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

(Romeo and Juliet)

I was really happy to hear the name. For me it sounded beautiful and normal (lol), not like some traditional British names that are used that I'm not used to hearing, such as Beatrice and Eugenie, not that these names aren't beautiful too; they're just not names I hear a lot.

However, I was disappointed to hear that so many didn't like the name. It makes me wonder why the parents picked Savannah. Were they going for something unique, maybe a little common and down to earth (less regal), did they just like the name, or is baby Savannah named after someone? I wonder if the parents will even explain the name later on.

Also, I don't think the parents should have to pick a name that will look good on a list that people will read to see who is in line to the throne. A name is personal and should be one that the parents like.

Last edited:
What does the name matter other than the parents apparently like it. The child is merely the great grandchild of the current monarch. She is not a princess of the UK nor even the daughter of a peer, she like her parents is an untitled commoner. She will grown up privately, not living her life in the public eye. During the reigns of Charles III and William V she will be one of those faces occassionally appearing in the crowd at some royal event and people will wonder how she is related to the RF.

:previous: Exaclty...when it comes down to it...and without looking at the Sucession List? Can anyone name the great grandchildren of George V?

Some probably can and some probably can't....because the chances of them suceeding the throne are slim to none. Princess Alexandra of Kent when she was born was like top 10 and now she is number 39 bumped down from 38 with the birth of Savannah Phillips.

Also, I think Savannah is a name that is very popular in North America. Which last I checked includes Canada.

Last edited:
When I think of the name Savannah, I think of a American woman who lives in the South and is very much a southern belle. Very classy lady comes to mind. It's an unusual name. Never heard it used as a name for children until about 20 years ago.

You can tell the age of the person by their name. If you look at the names Ann, Charles, Andrew, Edward, Sarah, Diana, most likely the individual who has that name was born during the baby boom generation. You don't see these name very often among younger people. Names like Mary,Lisa, Brenda, Nancy, Melissa, Linda, Debbie, Carol are not seen so much in younger people but people that are older.

Even if she were higher in the succession, say, Prince Harry's child, and named Savannah, or even William's child, what does it matter? It's a name her parents chose for her, and regardless of where she is in the line of succession or what her "destiny" may be, her parents get to name her. It's there honor and choice as the people who are going to raise her.

I'm having a hard time understanding the backlash to their choice. I sometimes wonder who makes up the members list on these forums, as people sometimes seem so modern and open minded and then I come into a forum such as this one and there is so much disgust shown over a little girls name. A little girl who likely won't be discussed at all in a few years from now...

Anyway...moving on. :)

I can't believe that so many people just hate this poor baby's name.:eek: There is so much negativity surrounding it. I've read other forums and so on and so many are just totally disgusted with Peter and Autumn's choice of name. People do have a right to an opinon but, its the parents decision what they want to name their daughter. In the end that's all that matters. I personally think its a pretty name, again my opinion. Just because its different, did people show this much disgust with Princess Anne and Mark Phillips when they named Zara? Just because its a not so normal name for the family.

Last edited:
Even if she were higher in the succession, say, Prince Harry's child, and named Savannah, or even William's child, what does it matter? It's a name her parents chose for her, and regardless of where she is in the line of succession or what her "destiny" may be, her parents get to name her. It's there honor and choice as the people who are going to raise her.

I'm having a hard time understanding the backlash to their choice. I sometimes wonder who makes up the members list on these forums, as people sometimes seem so modern and open minded and then I come into a forum such as this one and there is so much disgust shown over a little girls name. A little girl who likely won't be discussed at all in a few years from now...

Anyway...moving on. :)

Britters you and I must have been replying at the same time. Your comments are so true. My reply is kind of similar. I honestly feel sorry for Peter and Autumn and all the negative comments on their daughter Savannah's name. I sure hope they don't read any of the mean things said about it.

Last edited:
Savannah's a pretty name, it's unusual but then so is Autumn.

The choices should be broader than the tradtional or expected royal names.The Phillips duaghter won't lead a very "royal" life but even if she did I don't see the problem with the the name they gave their daughter.

Britters you and I must have been replying at the same time. Your comments are so true. My reply is kind of similar. I honestly feel sorry for Peter and Autumn and all the negative comments on their daughter Savannah's name. I sure hope they don't read any of the mean things said about it.
I totally agree with you both, personally I really like it but then again I liked the 3 A's names& Isabella name. I think it is a very femine name for a beautiful little girl.

After all -

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

(Romeo and Juliet)

But you know what Anne of Green Gables said about that:
"I don't believe a rose would smell as sweet, if it was called a cabbage!" :lol:

...did people show this much disgust with Princess Anne and Mark Phillips when they named Zara? Just because its a not so normal name for the family.

Actually, there was quite a bit of negative buzz down the pub when her name was announced. Folks were astounded up in the West Midlands that she had been given an Arabic name. After the buzz died down, everyone mostly forgot about her; same will happen with Savannah.

I'm surprised to see such negative reaction to the name. It's not weird, crazy or odd. It's sweet and pretty. And what does it even matter that the name is "fashionable"? And what is so wrong with "fashionable"? The word is uttered like a sin lol I just don't get it. So what. All that means is the name is popular. More than one person likes the name. That's not the end of the world.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I just feel the specialness of the Windsors (excluding HM and dear Prince Philip) washing away. But, I will live...

Savannah is the sort of name I associate with B list celebrities.

This is seriously amusing to me. I know we all have a right to our own opinions, but it's really not that big of a deal. I have a feeling that no matter what they named their daughter, someone would've disliked the name or had something negative to say about. I'm just happy that Peter and Autumn named her something they clearly like, instead of feeling pressured to give her a more "royal" name. Obviously Peter and Autumn want to stay out of the limelight and, for heaven's sake, Peter doesn't even hold a royal title! I highly doubt naming the Queen's first grandchild Savannah is going to bring down the House of Windsor as we know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom