Captain Mark Phillips and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol:Well at least his children will have something in common with the new step mom:whistling:

I lived in Auckland in the 80s.
Heather Tonkin worked at a school that my son attended.He came home one day saying that the kids had been calling her "bonkin Tonkin" when the news was out about her and Mark Phillips.
Bunny Tonkin was a little blonde girl in the lower clkasses at that time.I think she looked about 3 or four.If my memory serves me right.
Heather Tonkin had a ranch not far from where we lived

In The Queen & Her Court, Jerrold M. Packard wrote:

In the spring of 1978, Captain Mark Phillips left the army.
The reason for Phillip's leaving the army was a practical and realistic one --- as a member of the royal family, he would have been unable to serve in areas of potential danger, such as Northern Ireland.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 37m 37 minutes ago
The Princess Royal attended the funeral of Cpt Mark Phillips' sister, Sarah Staples, with her son Peter, in Wiltshire yesterday.

I think it is very touching that even Princess Anne was there.... I'm sure Mark Phillips appreciated that

I think it is very touching that even Princess Anne was there.... I'm sure Mark Phillips appreciated that

Yeah, they've kept a very close relationship with each other over the years.

Doesn't Mark live on Anne's property? I thought he did.

Yes. He did live on the estate but from what I read, he had moved out after his 2nd divorce.

Mark lives (or lived) on his own property next to Anne's property

Mark lives (or lived) on his own property next to Anne's property

Correct. According to Wikipedia:

"Today the Princess Royal lives in the manor house with her second husband, Sir Timothy Laurence. Previously, her first husband Mark Phillips lived in the adjoining Aston Farm with his second wife, the estates having been separated when the couple divorced."

She gave him Aston Farm as part of the divorce settlement.

I didn't know thye have remained on good terms after what I read about his cheating etc... Good for them

Let's not forget her cheating as well. They were both cheating throughout the 80s and there have even been questions asked about Zara's paternity.

Remember the reason why she ended up marrying Tim was that the love-letters between them, dating from before the separation, had been stolen and there were threats to publish them but she stopped that by announcing the engagement and then marrying Tim.

I never could understand why Anne married Mark Phillips; what did she see in him?
It has always seemed so inexplicable.

They were both world class equestrians and so had a love of horses in common. She had also recently broken up with another member of the British equestrian team so she may have been on the rebound.

Seems a common thread - Margaret wasn't able to marry the love of her life so ended up with Snowden; Anne broke up with Richard Meade and not long afterwards is with Mark; Charles is turned down by Amanda Knatchbull and within months is with Diana and even Andrew - not allowed to be with Koo Start so ends up with Sarah.

Is it any wonder that The Queen basically issued a directive that they had to be together for 5 or so years before she would give her consent - Edward and Sophie, William and Kate, Peter and Autumn and Zara and Mike certainly fit that bill.

Is it any wonder that The Queen basically issued a directive that they had to be together for 5 or so years before she would give her consent - Edward and Sophie, William and Kate, Peter and Autumn and Zara and Mike certainly fit that bill.

But if Harry and Meghan are serious it will not have so many time - Meghan is already 35.

Congratulations for Mr. Phillips on his impending grandparenthood!
Maybe he will finally have a grandson!:flowers:

I never could understand why Anne married Mark Phillips; what did she see in him?
It has always seemed so inexplicable.

What does anyone see in anyone?? People marry for all sorts of reasons and fall in love for all sorts of reasons. She and Mark had a passionate interest in common, and fell in love.

Does anyone know whether Captain Mark Philips still has some sort of relationship with the Queen or with the royal family?

I think he and Anne get along well enough...they would see each other at various Equestrian events...my guess is the Queen as well. I don't think he socializes with them otherwise.

LaRae

I don’t from my knowledge ever have seen him being invited to Balmoral like Sarah does or I may be unaware of him doing so.

But Stephanie, along with Zara, was one of the bridesmaids at Peter's wedding.

Congratulations to Stephanie and William!

I hope Peter and his girls as well as Zara, Mike and their girls will be present at their wedding.

Congratulations to Stephanie and William!

I hope Peter and his girls as well as Zara, Mike and their girls will be present at their wedding.

She was a bridesmaid at both their weddings, so unless Covid restrictions are extremely tight, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't. Hope to see the nieces as flower girls (Lucas will be a little to young to be a page boy).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom