The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Good grief, the girl has decided to formally end her relationship with a church her parents signed her up for. Millions do it every year, it doesn't make her a bad person or pathetic. It shows she has a mind of her own.

Very few people who attend any of the various churches are, IMO, 'Christians in the true sense of the word', you only have to look at some of the comments on here!
Apparently it's a Sin to leave one Church and join another one!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25 View Post
Apparently it's a Sin to leave one Church and join another one!
It seems from some of the responses here and elsewhere that Ms Kelly's joining the Church of England has been taken as a personal affront. Since it's her business and her business alone, I can't imagine why anyone would choose to pontificate on the matter, let alone make disparaging remarks about her character.

It demonstrates once again that the subject of "religion", even other peoples', can be touchy and highly emotive. It also explains why the Administrators, as a general rule, are wary of such discussion in the Forums.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

If one assumes there is a God, then I highly doubt that God as we know him/her (peaceful/forgiving, etc) could care less about what particular church one belongs too. And neither should we.

And frankly, it's not God who would be vengeful or care, it's human beings who would have twisted the meaning of religion to suit their own means that would care. And that has happened in every religion known to mankind, and continues to happen.

I state again, everyone should be free to worship as they see fit, and leave others to do the same.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Courtier

Warren & Empress, I applaud you. Very well said. and I happen to agree 100% with both of you.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Princess Máxima was a Catholic all her life and remained a Catholic after she got married with the Heir of the Throne. Is she disrespecting her husband's traditions? I don't think so!

I doubt Autums was a devout Catholic before. If she was, she wouldnt had converted to any other Christian Church few time before she gets married. She would have done it much before. IMO, she took that decision to please the Queen or because the present position of Peter Philips in Sucession is quite important to her (or them). But I doubt the cause of this change had anything to do with an intense search made by her to found the "right" Christian Church of Jesus I think the same about Marie Chevallier.
With all due respect, but traditionally all princesses, who married to Crown Princes, used to renounce their faith. The fact that Crown Princess Maxima has remained Catholic bespeaks her husband's understanding of and utter respect to her beliefs. Whatever reasons Ms. Kelly and Ms. Cavallier prompted to covert should be viewed as a private matter and, thus, be respected. There is nothing to be angry about.
Joining sesa, I would like to say that Warren and Empress are absolutely correct.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

so who will lead the Service???
Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

You're in the wrong thread, Royal Fan. The thread about the upcoming wedding is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...8-a-13402.html
Old 05-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Nobility

To both Empress and Warren regarding your posts above - I have but one word to say --AMEN!

Cat
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

You are absolutely correct Al Bina. It was always assumed in the old days that the royal bride would assume her husband's religion.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:08 AM

It doesn't even matter what your "official" religion is anyway, because it is just paper or whatever. What matters is the inner spirit. Spirituality is a dimension beyond mere official religion.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Nobility

I have always felt that when one is baptized, you are not a Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran or whatever. But one is joining a community of Christianity. It is also a very very private matter.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Just as a matter of interest, has there been any "reputable" confirmation that Autumn has actually converted to CofE, or are we all just spinning our wheels?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's been reported in the Guardian and the Telegraph, which are reputable papers. Mind you, the article in the Telegraph has a heading worthy of the most shameless tabloid: "Peter's fiancée converts to save succession," as though Peter Phillips were the only person on the planet who was in the line of succession and the monarchy would collapse if Autumn Kelly hadn't converted.

It also said that Buckingham Palace has confirmed that she has been received into the Church of England.

The article is here.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

One does not "convert" from RC to CofE. They are both christian - just different denominations.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Commoner

Actually, princess Maxima did convert to the Lutheran faith, as well as princess Mary (who was presbysterian), Alexandra (who was Anglican) and Marie who was catholic.
It makes sense in a way that royal brides convert to the faith of their husbands and there are many examples in history like Queen Sophia of Spain, Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Marie- Chantal of Greece, Queen Fredericka of Hannover when she married the king of Greece and I can go on and on. What I think it does not make any sense at all in the 21st century is the hugely discriminating act of settlement towards catholics. And I think it would speak very highly of the king of the future/next generation (It could be Charles, it could be William) to erase it for good. It would bring and example of tolerance to this already intolerant world. Besides within Christianity the CoE and the Catholic faith are the closest in dogma and rituals but that is not the point. If the royal would like to remain popular among their subjects they should be more open and let go of this arcaic law to begin with and modernize to keep up with times. I find the act of Settlement extremely discriminating and ofenssive.

PS: real love stories have not happened and will not happen because of this and I quote from wikipedia. "In her youth, princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg was one of the few eligible royal princesses from European reigning houses, she was considered an ideal candidate by royal watchers for marriage to Charles, Prince of Wales. Media reports in the 1970s regularly speculated about the prospects of such a marriage, the Daily Express claiming in June 1977 that the couple's engagement was imminent. It has been since suggested that the marriage rumours were a result of efforts to detect a leaker in the Privy Council. In reality, a marriage between the British heir and the Roman Catholic princess was unlikely, as the terms of the Act of Settlement 1701 would have had to have been repealed or modified.'
Old 05-04-2008, 03:59 AM
Courtier

I don't think there was any "love story" between Marie Astrid and Charles, and nowhere in that article does it say they were in love, only that it was pure speculation. I edit Wiki often, but some things are not necessarily true. If hope from royal watchers was all it took for a royal marriage, then Prince William would be walking down the aisle with Princess Theodora of Greece.

When you're going to marry into royalty, you have to realise that your religion is going to be a big part of your new life. Especially if William were to marry and Kate was Catholic: he is going to be the supreme head of the CoE. The head of a church does not marry someone who does not belong to that church. Imagine if the Pope married, if he could, a Jewish woman. Imagine the outcry among Catholics if their leader chose someone of a different faith. True, you cannot help whom you fall in love with, but when that person holds a position of power where their religion is important, you are going to have to make serious sacrifices.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:03 AM
Courtier

The Act of Succession is indeed discriminatory and offensive by current standards, but these did not prevail nor were considered at the time. It was simply seen as a legitmate matter of national security then, much as the wholesale diminunition of ordinary citizens' basic human rights in their own countries (not mine, thankfully) are seen today.

Concerning CP Mary's conversion from the Presbyterian faith to Lutherianism - who, here, can delineate the differences for me? Is it just the name? Are not both religions grounded and inspired by Calvin?

As Peter Phillips is so remote from the Throne and will never, ever, accede to it, I believe that there's little evidence to support his bride's divesting herself of her religion for political or social gain. Ultimately, it's her private and personal spiritual concern, and none of us is qualified or eligible to pontificate upon that.

I earnestly hope that Peter and his wife-to-be have a long, happy and fulfilling marriage.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
Concerning CP Mary's conversion from the Presbyterian faith to Lutherianism - who, here, can delineate the differences for me? Is it just the name? Are not both religions grounded and inspired by Calvin?
To (partially) answer your questions, the answers are "not me", I think so, and yes absolutely!

I was christened a Presbyterian, confirmed an Anglican (CofE), and was for a long time, a Pentecostal by pursuasian. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly
I earnestly hope that Peter and his wife-to-be have a long, happy and fulfilling marriage.
I second that motion.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalina View Post
...it would speak very highly of the king of the future/next generation (It could be Charles, it could be William) to erase it for good.
I know I've said this plenty of times, but it bears repeating: the Monarch is powerless in this matter. The Act of Settlement gave Parliament the power to determine succession to the Crown. It is law and therefore can only by changed by the Parliament.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
One does not "convert" from RC to CofE. They are both christian - just different denominations.
True, but I think they mean by "convert" that she becomes a member of CoE. So their kids will be christened as members of CoE. Autumn seems so cool. She probably understands that spirituality is much bigger than the names and distinctions we trump up. Also, with them being members of one church, it kind of simplifies things, I guess, so there won't be headlines about what kind of upbringing their kids will have, etc. That would be such a bore.

Tags
act of settlement, autumn kelly, autumn phillips, catholicism, church of england, line of succession, peter phillips, religion