Anne, Princess Royal: Old News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are great pictures, Iceflower!!! I've never seen them and they are, for lack of a better word, "enchanting." You can see a lot of her aunt, Pss. Margaret (when Pss. Margaret was younger) in these photos of Pss. Anne. I wonder who's idea it was for the background. Pss. Anne never struck me as whimsical (always seemed very practical and no-nonsense). I don't care what anyone says, Pss. Anne was quiet beautiful.

iceflower said:
Two portraits that were made for Anne's 21st birthday in 1971, to me they look like being taken from a fairy tale book :)
Those are two of my favorite pictures of Anne. She was such a stunning woman back in the day, as it were. I love her hair and especially her side profile in this picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the additional pics, Ianna, the one at the window is a bit strange ;) but on the colour pic she looks so wonderful and relaxed again! Great addition to my Sarah collection :) By the way what does CdeI stand for?

Two portraits of Anne, Mark and Peter I love:

2nk4bpf.jpg
3ywzqmo.jpg

(majesty)

Here is a nice portrait of a happy Anne with Mark Philipps in 1973:

Anne and Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Anne as a mother and as an aunt

I have heard a lot of talk about Princess Anne as a Royal ambassador but not a lot about how she was as a mother. I would love to know what other have heard about her as a mother. I think she is very lucky to have (2) well adjusted children, did she have anything to do with it, or was it just good schools and nannies?

From what I've seen through pictures, she seems to have a close relationship with both of her children. I'm not sure though how much of a role she had in their upbringing. I'm quite sure she used nannies and probably sent them to private schools. So I'd love to hear other peoples insights to this as well.

In an interview I read that Zara gave she said that her mother has had a huge influence on her not just in horseriding but other things to. Anne seems to have an easygoing relationship with both of her children and Mike and Autumn as well which makes it easier on Peter and Zara. Of course their nannies played a big role but I think both of their parents were great influences.

I have always read that she has always been close to both her children and really doted on Zara as a baby.She always made them as much of a prority as her are royal duties.

Nannies and schools are not the only reason Peter and Zara seem so well adjusted and happy, IMO. They are loved and they know they are loved. They have the support of both parents, who appear to have listened to what their children are interested in doing and then encouraged them all the way.

Judging by how the children appear to have turned out, I think it fair to say Anne has done a marvelous job.

Anne can be a little cold in public, but you can tell that she's a good mother to her kids. They seem happy and healthy, and though they went through most of the regular teenage stuff, they came out all right. Peter and Zara seem very well-adjusted.

I think Princess Anne was probably a no-nonsense matter-of-fact mother and her children obviously thrived on that.

I don't think she's cold in public, just very professional...actually, just what I said above "no-nonsense & matter-of-fact".

and really doted on Zara as a baby.

I once watched a documentry of the British royals and it showed Princess Anne leaving hospital after having Zara. She was carrying her new baby herself. Whereas before a nurse carried newborn Peter out to the car. Somebody commented that they didn't expect Anne to do this. :)

Thanks for all the insight into Princess Anne as a mother. I kind of think since there hasn't been a lot of press about her and her children until they were older, that she did her job in sheltering them from the public, but I think when they decide to marry, that if they want one, the queen should give them titles. I understand that she didn't want them to have them when they were little but they are the oldest grandchildren of the current Queen. Anyone think different?

Thanks for all the insight into Princess Anne as a mother. I kind of think since there hasn't been a lot of press about her and her children until they were older, that she did her job in sheltering them from the public, but I think when they decide to marry, that if they want one, the queen should give them titles. I understand that she didn't want them to have them when they were little but they are the oldest grandchildren of the current Queen. Anyone think different?

I don't believe that either of them would ask for a title and even if they did I don't think they would get one.

It is clear from the styling of Lady Louise that the RF is trying to cut down titles etc so giving them to the grandchildren who are so far down the order of succession doesn't make sense. They are currently 10th and 11th and by the end of the year will drop even further down the order when The Countess of Wessex has her second child.

I once watched a documentry of the British royals and it showed Princess Anne leaving hospital after having Zara. She was carrying her new baby herself. Whereas before a nurse carried newborn Peter out to the car. Somebody commented that they didn't expect Anne to do this. :)
Maybe she had to grow into to the role of mother and was more comfortable with Zara right away,hard to say really I think she is close to both children though.:)

I don't believe that either of them would ask for a title and even if they did I don't think they would get one.

It is clear from the styling of Lady Louise that the RF is trying to cut down titles etc so giving them to the grandchildren who are so far down the order of succession doesn't make sense. They are currently 10th and 11th and by the end of the year will drop even further down the order when The Countess of Wessex has her second child.

Someone said that Lady Louise's parents were the ones who didn't want her referred to as Her Royal Highness because they wanted Lady Louise to have a more normal life.. I don't see why the other two grandchildren might not be given titles. Maybe not HRH (definetly not) but why not give them a title to pass onto their children, to remind their children of their heritage. After all, there are how many earls etc in England?

titles

I know the parents wanted Zara and Peter to not have titles, but also didn't a title come down through the fathers lineage and as Captain Mark Phillips , he was untitled, so his heirs would have also be untitled?????

Princess Anne for all her apparent stuffy reserve in public life, was very much a hands on, and loving mother. Her determination for her children to have no titles was a wish for them to have as "normal" a life as possible without too many of the Royal trappings and duties.

As such, both Zara and Peter are delightful, down to earth personalities with a natural zeal for both life and sport. Early pictures often show the pair in jeans and jumpers, running around the various family estates with Grandma and Grandad, looking relaxed, happy and secure.

I've always admired Anne for her "call it as it is" attitude, and her staunch refusal to change her ways for anyone. She's worked tirelessly behind the scenes with her various charities, seldom getting the praise she so richly deserved.

Zara exhibits a delightful touch of edginess, of being her own person and yet still retains an air of Royalty, yet without the stuffiness we've come to perhaps associate with older members of the family.

I've been a great fan of the Princess Royal for decades. She has the most wonderful trait of looking people directly in the eye and living in the moment. I am sure she has been the same kind of mother. No-nonsense and validating. Her children are fabulous.

And don't forget she is an athlete with tremendous self-discipline. A great example to children.

I know the parents wanted Zara and Peter to not have titles, but also didn't a title come down through the fathers lineage and as Captain Mark Phillips , he was untitled, so his heirs would have also be untitled?????

Captain Phillips didn't have a title of his own. The only way his children would have had titles is if the Queen had conferred a hereditary title on him. He and Princess Anne refused. her offer of a hereditary title for him, hence the lack of titles for the Phillips children.

I have heard a lot of talk about Princess Anne as a Royal ambassador but not a lot about how she was as a mother. I would love to know what other have heard about her as a mother. I think she is very lucky to have (2) well adjusted children, did she have anything to do with it, or was it just good schools and nannies?

Princess Anne is never reported on in America, but I read the book by Ingrid Seward called Royal children,and it talked about her as a mother,she is very close with her daughter and spoiled her somewhat,she will yell or spank them in public if they were naughty or shout to be quiet if they were noisy when they should not have been.She was a loving caring mother,wanted to do what was best for them and teaching them to do the things she enjoyed doing,she wanted them to lead regualr lives and not have royal titles.She thought Princess Diana was too gooey with her kids.I read she'd cook dinner for them also,and read to them at night.

I found this one on my hard drive. It's a scan from British Vogue magazine--the December 2001 issue. It was a portrait taken by Lord Snowdon for her 20th birthday.

I scanned this sometime last year.

She looks similar to her daughter Zara Phillips.

I think that the Princess Royal is a fundamentally a hard person with a soft center. Tough, but loving. She has a strong awareness of herself and doesn't move with the blowing wind.

I've seen her when she'd gone about her work for children's charities, and I think she really cares for children and she loves her own. She just isn't super-demonstrative and doesn't need to be ooey-gooey about it. I also think that she realized that her kids had personalities that didn't need all of that to know that they were loved. She loves them in her way: low-key and uncomplicated, but still fiercely, devotedly, and unconditionally. Just like her own mother. :) No manipulation and no pushing her oldest into the role of caregiver (ahem, Diana).

She gave her children two very important gifts: the love of a mother and the ability and security in themselves to stand on their own feet.

Very nicely put, Vanishing Lady.:rolleyes:

I can imagine raising your children as a member of the royal family is challenging in some ways. But Anne and Mark did a great job because their children turned out healthy, smart and sensible, yet distinguished.

I can't believe that Princess Anne corrected them in public and 'shooshed' them when they needed to be 'shooshed'!:eek: If anything, I admire her even more. I think more parents should correct their children, when necessary. I was raised that way, to be respectful of others in public and to act civilized. If I acted up, I was definitely corrected and even though I can remember the pain and the anger toward my parents, I am grateful. But looking at it from a viewpoint of the royal family, I can't imagine a member doing that in public (it seems that they have been raised from a very early age to act very well-mannered). Great topic!

atrain83

I agree with you Russophile: "She would have made a hell of a Queen!":

Princess Anne

Very nicely put, Vanishing Lady.:rolleyes:

I can imagine raising your children as a member of the royal family is challenging in some ways. But Anne and Mark did a great job because their children turned out healthy, smart and sensible, yet distinguished.

I can't believe that Princess Anne corrected them in public and 'shooshed' them when they needed to be 'shooshed'!:eek: If anything, I admire her even more. I think more parents should correct their children, when necessary. I was raised that way, to be respectful of others in public and to act civilized. If I acted up, I was definitely corrected and even though I can remember the pain and the anger toward my parents, I am grateful. But looking at it from a viewpoint of the royal family, I can't imagine a member doing that in public (it seems that they have been raised from a very early age to act very well-mannered). Great topic!

atrain83
Actually there was an occasion when she did smack them both in public at a horse show. Peter was climbing up on something and Zara was carrying on. She smacked them both and had them taken home. Apparently the audience watched "absolutely fascinated."

Actually there was an occasion when she did smack them both in public at a horse show. Peter was climbing up on something and Zara was carrying on. She smacked them both and had them taken home. Apparently the audience watched "absolutely fascinated."

Wow. I think I would have been amazed as well. If I were there, I would have probably felt like everything had stopped for a few seconds, then feel kind of awkward, as one does after seeing something like that. But that's the way Anne is! I guess that's why I like her. ;)

Good for Anne! When children misbehave there should be consequences! Just like animals until they can learn self-restraint and how to comport themselves in public.

Back
Top Bottom