Anne, Princess Royal: Old News and Pictures

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HereditaryPrincess said:

Her hair was so light then; now it's dark brown. I was the same; I was blond as a baby, but by the time I was 4 or 5, my hair was the same colour it is now, which is the same colour as Anne's. When my youngest brother was born, for a while we thought he was going to be a redhead (there's red hair in our family) but it too turned dark brown. He's now 17 and 6 foot 1; and he's almost the spitting image of our dad at that age: while I resemble our dad's sister.

Last edited:
Her hair was so light then; now it's dark brown. I was the same; I was blond as a baby, but by the time I was 4 or 5, my hair was the same colour it is now, which is the same colour as Anne's.

That's the same as me- I had a fringe as well, which went when I was around 3 or 4.

Old and Beautiful Portrait of HRH Princess Anne & Captain Mark Phillips:
http://royal-windsor.tumblr.com/image/43669797788

The way she's wearing the festoon tiara there is very interesting- very far back on her head. It suits though. The whole thing looks like it could be the cover of a romantic novel from the seventies, but I mean that in the best way possible. HRH does look lovely.

The way she's wearing the festoon tiara there is very interesting- very far back on her head. It suits though. The whole thing looks like it could be the cover of a romantic novel from the seventies, but I mean that in the best way possible. HRH does look lovely.

*blinks and takes a good hard second look*

I have seen this picture many times over the years, but had never noticed she was wearing the Festoon tiara in it due to both the soft focus of the photo and how far back on her head Anne has it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Sigh....It is truly amazing just how great HRH can look when she really puts her mind to it for a formal portrait. Like the great ones that were done of her for her, IIRC, 50th Birthday. I showed them to my Mom and she hadn't a clue it was Anne. Just simply because she looked like, in Mom's words, "What you expect a Princess to really look like."

I do love just un fussy and no nonsense she is, but I also wish she'd surprise and dazzle us a few times more than she does, because when Anne wants to look va-va-voom, she really can and does.

I have always thought that was the best photo of Anne ever made public.

She looked absolutely ethereal there. Oh, right, I just noticed Mark Phillips in the photo, too!:lol:

I heard that when Charles saw Anne on her wedding day to Mark Phillips, he said "She's too made up."

She looked absolutely ethereal there. Oh, right, I just noticed Mark Phillips in the photo, too!:lol:

Take out Mark Philips and it would look like a romance novel cover. I wonder what Anne thought of the pix considering she tends not to care how she looks.

Engagement photograph so it probably did matter at the time as it was them as a couple.

She did care then - you can tell by the official photographs and also, IMO, by the fact she had a professional make-up artist for her wedding

She's drop-dead gorgeous in this picture.

I remember this as one of 3/4 pictures taken prior to the wedding - by either Norman PArkinson or Snowdon.

The story went that when they originally posed in the long gallery at BP, the white dress she was wearing wasn't full enough - so she went and put another one on top. That's why the sleeves and neckline look slightly odd.

cepe said:
I remember this as one of 3/4 pictures taken prior to the wedding - by either Norman PArkinson or Snowdon.

The story went that when they originally posed in the long gallery at BP, the white dress she was wearing wasn't full enough - so she went and put another one on top. That's why the sleeves and neckline look slightly odd.

She's just my age there! (I'm 22, turning 23 at the end of July.)

I still love her 1985 interview with Terry Wogan. She looks so nice in her white blouse and long gray skirt, and her hair down past her shoulder blades! A real sight to see!

Nice photo of Anne at her first wedding:

Regal Majesty

The picture of the Queen adjusting Anne's train reminds me of my dad at my parents' wedding. It was the third week of August 1976, and my mom was a few minutes late (she was having trouble with her veil). My dad was sitting in the front pew of the church, and the back of his shirt collar was sticking up. My grandma reached over and adjusted it, and my grandpa said to her, "Leave the boy alone!" They'll soon be married 37 years!

Last edited:
In 1984 Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles moved the christening of Prince Henry from Buckingham Palace to St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle so it would be closer to Princess Anne's estate.
This was done so that Anne might change her mind and attend her nephew's christening.
She had previously declined to attend the christening.
Even though Henry's christening would be held in St. George's Chapel, Princess Anne, for a second time, declined to attend.

In 1984 Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles moved the christening of Prince Henry from Buckingham Palace to St. George's Chapel at Windsor Castle so it would be closer to Princess Anne's estate.
This was done so that Anne might change her mind and attend her nephew's christening.
She had previously declined to attend the christening.
Even though Henry's christening would be held in St. George's Chapel, Princess Anne, for a second time, declined to attend.

Additional info (gossip or real, you be the judge)
A Windsor War - Feuds, Prince Harry, Princess Anne, Princess Diana : People.com

The tabs really did try to drive a wedge between Diana and Anne back in the day. In recent years the tabloids have tried to do this with Catherine and Beatrice & Eugenie and imagine how it will be with Catherine and Harry's future wife.

When Princess Anne was asked how it felt to have Buckingham Palace as a private property, she shrugged.
"Don't know," she said. "It's not private property. The Palace belongs to the Crown." :castle3::crown4:

The PEOPLE article mentioned:

A revised version of the wire-service story omitted words like "snub," "feud" and "rift." :ohmy::ohmy:

Certainly Princess Anne had a right to be disappointed.
She had not been selected to be a godmother of either Prince William or Prince Henry.
Yes, whichever way you slice or dice it, it does seem as if this feud is intergenerational. How sad!

https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=i&r...MsGI0qV0CCCvcDoCYWVOaHHQ&ust=1402123497392720

Anne is definitely keeping her distance here.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/48706000/jpg/_48706675_medal_2008_ap.jpg

Both Anne and Harry are obviously very uncomfortable here.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...eJOaWn0n5Z3fizF9aR6H6FXmfFfC0m2D0TvVwkxe1jWrS

Oh dear, things just really can't get much worse! :D

Back
Top Bottom