Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 6: Jan 2014 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the US - if you go to the hospital for test, technically, you are not "admitted." Some hospitals do give you the bracelet ID so that they can scan you into systems, but it's all considered outpatient. Technically.
True in the UK as well?

Depends how long she was there for. She would only have been admitted if she needed to stay overnight, anything under that she would have been an outpatient. It's unusual to go to a hospital for a test unless it's something specific.

Most news outlets are saying she has a chest infection, which can be treated pretty easily unless it comes with something else more serious.

I imagine that she went to hospital because the doctor ordered her to undergo certain tests. I was under the impression the Queen always has a doctor on call nearby whichever residence she is in at the time, given Anne was at Balmoral with the Queen I suspect she had seen a doctor who sent her to the hospital for tests to check it out.

If its been reported that she may have a chest infection, the docs could have just wanted a chest x-ray to be able to make more of an accurate diagnosis.

If its been reported that she may have a chest infection, the docs could have just wanted a chest x-ray to be able to make more of an accurate diagnosis.

Agreed - and just in case they chose a hospital XRAY. JMO. She can't do events if she can't control a cough. Bronchitis or pneumonia. We've had flooding and are now having a legionnaires outbreak as a result. And I would have never put that on my radar. Best to be cautious.

Last edited:
I had quite a bad chest infection when I was about 2; my mom noticed I was quite congested, so she took me to the pediatrician, who listened to my chest and sent me for an X-ray. I remember my mom telling me she had to lie down on the table wearing a lead apron with me on top; they do that with young children to keep them still. The X-ray was cloudy, which indicated a bacterial infection, so the doctor gave my mom some antibiotics, which cleared the infection right up. Then before Christmas in my second year of college, I started feeling some sharp pain in my chest, made worse by breathing. My mom offered to give me my health card so I could go to health services, but I didn't think it would be necessary. I drank lots of honey lemon tea and rubbed Vaporub on my chest, and the viral infection cleared up on its own.

I hope she is ok too cause I can't think of a time she has ever had to do this. But our Royals are getting older and things are more likely to be more severe as we age. Anne is 66 it is hard to believe really she has worked so hard her whole life maybe it's time she stepped back alittle and enjoy the Grandchildren. You just can't go at the same rate you did in your 20's no matter how fit you are. I do love the idea that the Queen made her go to the Dr. Mums will be mums...

From all accounts Anne stayed at least overnight in hospital, so serious enough (an opinion based on having had a career in the subject following pneumonia at 2 and tonts whiped out at 3 with yearly recurring "chests", which cheerfully subsided in later years, and probably no co-incidence with introduction of the smoking ban!)

A no-nonsense woman like Anne would not go to hospital unless it was for good reason, so hope she is doing well. Next to the Queen she is the RF's best ambassador to the people and has been all her adult life.

I hoep she's Ok, certanly. Im sure it is just a chest infection and she's goign to be fine.
but she may be moderatley popular now but she certainly was NOT as a young woman. She was very far from a good ambassador for the RF, because she was rude, charmless and seemed more wrapped up in her horsey career than doing royal duties.

:previous: Yes, I well remember her screaming at a photographer to "naff of" when she came off on a water jump after the poor horse was blinded by a flash! I'd have been a darned sight ruder than that . . . both she and her horse could have ended up dead all for one half-witted photographer!

However, that was decades ago and she has been President of Save the Children UK since 1970, not a photo op job, but feet on the ground visiting workers all over the world. Many trips have been followed by various international media and she has a high international profile and a darned good one. She is involved in more than 200 charities and is one of the hardest working royals. So when does the hubris of youth get to be forgiven? Most thinking people grew up and allowed the RF to do the same. So too with The Princess Royal who is a credit to the BRF.

Back to her chest problems. It seems that internationally there has been a significant increase in the number of pneumonia and other respiratory infection cases requiring hospitalisation within the last few years. Perhaps they are not as easy to either prevent or treat anymore as the immunity to so many antibiotic drugs dramatically increases, so here's hoping the doctors are just erring on the side of caution than that she has a significant illness.

well I dont wnat the woman to be ill, but I'd be more than happy if she withdrew from public life. She is still rude, still clearly dislikes the job.. and she's getting to an age where many people retire.

Oh geesh. Getting Anne to quietly retire into the background and tend to the horses at home is like asking Niagara Falls to stop gushing gallons of water.

As Marg has mentioned, Anne is very involved with Save the Children and on top of that is a member of the International Olympic Committee and has been for years. She takes what she does seriously.

Niagara Falls may gush but Anne doesn't. To me, she's more of the epitome of what a highly successful business woman would be like personality wise. No small talk or chit chat but sticks to what needs to be done and makes sure it is done.

Its just her nature.

Why? She's always been a horsey type and Im sure she'd enjoy being home and managing a farm or riding, more than having to try and force herself to look pleasant. Someone else can take over Save teh Children..She's not the queen, she doesn't have an obligation to go on till she drops..

She does love her horses but I don't see any indication that she'd be willing to ride one off into the sunset just yet. I think she enjoys what she does. If she didn't, she wouldn't have the workload that she does have. :D

Why? She's always been a horsey type and Im sure she'd enjoy being home and managing a farm or riding, more than having to try and force herself to look pleasant. Someone else can take over Save teh Children..She's not the queen, she doesn't have an obligation to go on till she drops..

She is like her parents and believes it is her duty to work basically until she drops - as do the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and Princess Alexandra. Neither the Duke of Kent (Stroke) or Alexandra (other health issues) have stopped working and they are a generation older than Anne. She won't stop during her mother's reign - particularly as there are only three in the next generation to take over and none seem willing to do that much or have shown any interest in anything associated with the Windsor family.

She is one of those people who want to work and work a lot whereas the younger royals seem to prefer to do one or two things rather than take on the 100s that Anne does.

I can't understand this desire to stop the older royals from working. It is age discrimination and no different to any other type of discrimination. As an older person it really annoys me when people try to push my generation out - particularly given how many of the younger generation don't seem to have the same work ethic or staying power we have.

Last edited:
Nothing to do with age discrimination. it is a dislike of Anne because she so obviously dislikes her job.. So I'd be very pleased if she gave it up. Im happy to see the queen working if she feels up to it. I dont think that the younger generation is going to work veyr hard, but then they are such a dull threesome, that I really dont care very much.

Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 6: 1 January 2014

Wow you're really taking his "oust Anne" thing into every thread aren't you. Mainly where it's got nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Nothing to do with age discrimination. it is a dislike of Anne because she so obviously dislikes her job.. So I'd be very pleased if she gave it up. Im happy to see the queen working if she feels up to it. I dont think that the younger generation is going to work veyr hard, but then they are such a dull threesome, that I really dont care very much.

Wow. This has got to be a first. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone thinking that Anne dislikes what she does or anyone that really seem to have a genuine dislike of most of the British Royal Family. :eek:

Have you ever seen Anne up close and personal when she is at work?

I have and she seems to enjoy what she does very much. She is committed and enthusiastic about what she does.

She can be brusque at times and, like Philip, she doesn't suffer fools gladly but she can be quite charming and clearly understands that her position allows her to get things done in ways that ordinary people can't.

She isn't the touchy-feely sort of royal that some people seem to think they all should be these days but she is friendly and enjoys very much what she does.

really? Sorry but there are loads of people who dont like most or all of the British royal family. Anyway Im out of this. I know there's no hope of Anne disappearing,

As a fellow sufferer of RBF (see 'Resting bitch face' is real, scientists say - CNN.com ) for a complete explanation of the social phenomenon), I think we over-judge Anne based on our perception, rather than her reality.
I can completely verify the ability to look cranky even when I know I have engaged a small smile. When I am paying close attention and fully engaged, I mostly likely am showing RBF. I have to pull an exaggerated grin to make it seen - and then it's usually read as fake.
Compensating is not simple and relies on a combination of eye contact and body language as well as a conscious effort to do something with my facial muscles. None of which comes across in a photo - but can be seen on video or live.
BTW, as noted in the text above, we are most likely to perceive BF on women, rather than men. :bang:

As a fellow sufferer of RBF (see 'Resting bitch face' is real, scientists say - CNN.com ) for a complete explanation of the social phenomenon), I think we over-judge Anne based on our perception, rather than her reality.
I can completely verify the ability to look cranky even when I know I have engaged a small smile. When I am paying close attention and fully engaged, I mostly likely am showing RBF. I have to pull an exaggerated grin to make it seen - and then it's usually read as fake.
Compensating is not simple and relies on a combination of eye contact and body language as well as a conscious effort to do something with my facial muscles. None of which comes across in a photo - but can be seen on video or live.
BTW, as noted in the text above, we are most likely to perceive BF on women, rather than men. :bang:

Wow, I never knew there was a name for it, though I certainly know a few ladies that look like that.

"Princess Anne supports her daughter Zara at an equestrian event after cancelling a planned trip to Botswana and Mozambique because of a chest infection "

Princess Anne supports her daughter Zara at an equestrian event after cancelling a planned trip to Botswana and Mozambique because of a chest infection  | Daily Mail Online

Princess Anne, 66, who was forced to cancel several days of engagements
Announced today she won't be going to Botswana and Mozambique
Had tests at hospital in Scotland but is back at Balmoral recuperating
Stopped by Whatley Manor Horse trials, in Gatcombe, to see Zara

I hope Anne gets better soon. In the photo of her in the car from the Daily Mail article, I thought she appeared to be paler and more frail.

:previous: Anne looks quite dreadfully sallow and unhealthy, which is a far cry from her usual robust look. You know things are "serious" when senior royals such as Prince Philip or Princess Anne are cancelling engagements as they are more usually disposed to carry on regardless.

My best wishes to her as she recovers from this problem.

As a fellow sufferer of RBF (see 'Resting bitch face' is real, scientists say - CNN.com ) for a complete explanation of the social phenomenon), I think we over-judge Anne based on our perception, rather than her reality . . .
I seem to remember HM lamenting that she didn't have a smiling face like her mother, saying people always thought she was very serious all the time. She's obviously not (Bond!) and is known for her humour. And let's face it, after being married to Philip for over 65 years!

I guess Anne inherited her mother's "face".

Last edited:
Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 6: 1 January 2014

:previous: Back to her chest problems. It seems that internationally there has been a significant increase in the number of pneumonia and other respiratory infection cases requiring hospitalisation within the last few years. Perhaps they are not as easy to either prevent or treat anymore as the immunity to so many antibiotic drugs dramatically increases, so here's hoping the doctors are just erring on the side of caution than that she has a significant illness.

A few posts ago I mentioned that I had a bacterial chest infection when I was two, and a viral one in my second year of college (I was 20). When I was seven, my great-aunt (my paternal grandfather's sister) was thought to have tuberculosis, so everyone in my dad's immediate family (and I do mean everyone) who was alive at that time had to go to their doctor for a skin test. But as it turned out, my great-aunt did not have TB after all, she had lung cancer, which was surprising since she didn't smoke (but she was a nurse, so that could have had something to do with it). My dad's dad and my mom's mom both died from pneumonia, both from being bedridden for long periods of time; my dad's dad from liver failure, and my mom's mom from a hip fracture caused by falling over our kitchen-family room step (she had quite bad osteoporosis), which is only a few inches high. For a long time afterwards (and even now, 10 years later), I blamed myself for her death because I had just dashed upstairs to quickly grab something while my mom was picking up my brothers from school (I was 16 and they were 13 and 10, and I got out earlier because I was in high school) and my dad was at work, so it was just me and Grandma in the house when it happened (she was living with us because she also had Alzheimer's). My mom said and still says to me "Don't, it could have happened even if I was in the room myself, and I saw the X-ray when she was first diagnosed." Even this afternoon, when my parents and I were looking for a kitten to adopt, two of them weren't available because they both had a respiratory infection.

Sent from my iPod touch using The Royals Community

Last edited:
A fertiliser firm’s bicentennial celebrations were given a regal touch with the visit of the Princess Royal.

Around 80 employees of Bunn Fertiliser gathered to greet Princess Anne, as she was given a tour of the 200-year-old firm’s factory on South Denes Road.

The Princess was taken around the terminal, along with a party of 11, which included Lord-Lieutenant for Norfolk Richard Jewson, and shown different pieces of equipment involved in day-to-day work at the factory.
Read more: Princess Anne visits Great Yarmouth to celebrate firm’s 200th anniversary - News - Great Yarmouth Mercury

She doesn't look at all well, a lto older suddenly.

Anne is looking a little better than the last time I saw a photo of her, though she still doesn't look 100%, as she is such a hard working royal I unfortunately think that cancelling her trip to Africa was a sensible decision with her health. On a lighter note, it was nice to read the reports about Anne today from those who are involved in the firm she visited.

Yesterday, October 17, Princess Anne visited James Gourmet Coffee Co Ltd in Ross on Wye and had the chance to taste some coffee :)

** Pic **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom