The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2016, 03:52 PM
Serene Highness

I imagine that she went to hospital because the doctor ordered her to undergo certain tests. I was under the impression the Queen always has a doctor on call nearby whichever residence she is in at the time, given Anne was at Balmoral with the Queen I suspect she had seen a doctor who sent her to the hospital for tests to check it out.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If its been reported that she may have a chest infection, the docs could have just wanted a chest x-ray to be able to make more of an accurate diagnosis.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If its been reported that she may have a chest infection, the docs could have just wanted a chest x-ray to be able to make more of an accurate diagnosis.
Agreed - and just in case they chose a hospital XRAY. JMO. She can't do events if she can't control a cough. Bronchitis or pneumonia. We've had flooding and are now having a legionnaires outbreak as a result. And I would have never put that on my radar. Best to be cautious.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Courtier

I had quite a bad chest infection when I was about 2; my mom noticed I was quite congested, so she took me to the pediatrician, who listened to my chest and sent me for an X-ray. I remember my mom telling me she had to lie down on the table wearing a lead apron with me on top; they do that with young children to keep them still. The X-ray was cloudy, which indicated a bacterial infection, so the doctor gave my mom some antibiotics, which cleared the infection right up. Then before Christmas in my second year of college, I started feeling some sharp pain in my chest, made worse by breathing. My mom offered to give me my health card so I could go to health services, but I didn't think it would be necessary. I drank lots of honey lemon tea and rubbed Vaporub on my chest, and the viral infection cleared up on its own.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:27 AM
Courtier

I hope she is ok too cause I can't think of a time she has ever had to do this. But our Royals are getting older and things are more likely to be more severe as we age. Anne is 66 it is hard to believe really she has worked so hard her whole life maybe it's time she stepped back alittle and enjoy the Grandchildren. You just can't go at the same rate you did in your 20's no matter how fit you are. I do love the idea that the Queen made her go to the Dr. Mums will be mums...
Old 09-10-2016, 06:03 AM
Nobility

From all accounts Anne stayed at least overnight in hospital, so serious enough (an opinion based on having had a career in the subject following pneumonia at 2 and tonts whiped out at 3 with yearly recurring "chests", which cheerfully subsided in later years, and probably no co-incidence with introduction of the smoking ban!)

A no-nonsense woman like Anne would not go to hospital unless it was for good reason, so hope she is doing well. Next to the Queen she is the RF's best ambassador to the people and has been all her adult life.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

I hoep she's Ok, certanly. Im sure it is just a chest infection and she's goign to be fine.
but she may be moderatley popular now but she certainly was NOT as a young woman. She was very far from a good ambassador for the RF, because she was rude, charmless and seemed more wrapped up in her horsey career than doing royal duties.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:21 AM
Majesty

Yes, I well remember her screaming at a photographer to "naff of" when she came off on a water jump after the poor horse was blinded by a flash! I'd have been a darned sight ruder than that . . . both she and her horse could have ended up dead all for one half-witted photographer!

However, that was decades ago and she has been President of Save the Children UK since 1970, not a photo op job, but feet on the ground visiting workers all over the world. Many trips have been followed by various international media and she has a high international profile and a darned good one. She is involved in more than 200 charities and is one of the hardest working royals. So when does the hubris of youth get to be forgiven? Most thinking people grew up and allowed the RF to do the same. So too with The Princess Royal who is a credit to the BRF.

Back to her chest problems. It seems that internationally there has been a significant increase in the number of pneumonia and other respiratory infection cases requiring hospitalisation within the last few years. Perhaps they are not as easy to either prevent or treat anymore as the immunity to so many antibiotic drugs dramatically increases, so here's hoping the doctors are just erring on the side of caution than that she has a significant illness.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 AM
Serene Highness

well I dont wnat the woman to be ill, but I'd be more than happy if she withdrew from public life. She is still rude, still clearly dislikes the job.. and she's getting to an age where many people retire.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:43 AM
Majesty

Oh geesh. Getting Anne to quietly retire into the background and tend to the horses at home is like asking Niagara Falls to stop gushing gallons of water.

As Marg has mentioned, Anne is very involved with Save the Children and on top of that is a member of the International Olympic Committee and has been for years. She takes what she does seriously.

Niagara Falls may gush but Anne doesn't. To me, she's more of the epitome of what a highly successful business woman would be like personality wise. No small talk or chit chat but sticks to what needs to be done and makes sure it is done.

Its just her nature.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness

Why? She's always been a horsey type and Im sure she'd enjoy being home and managing a farm or riding, more than having to try and force herself to look pleasant. Someone else can take over Save teh Children..She's not the queen, she doesn't have an obligation to go on till she drops..
Old 09-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Majesty

She does love her horses but I don't see any indication that she'd be willing to ride one off into the sunset just yet. I think she enjoys what she does. If she didn't, she wouldn't have the workload that she does have.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Why? She's always been a horsey type and Im sure she'd enjoy being home and managing a farm or riding, more than having to try and force herself to look pleasant. Someone else can take over Save teh Children..She's not the queen, she doesn't have an obligation to go on till she drops..
She is like her parents and believes it is her duty to work basically until she drops - as do the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester and Princess Alexandra. Neither the Duke of Kent (Stroke) or Alexandra (other health issues) have stopped working and they are a generation older than Anne. She won't stop during her mother's reign - particularly as there are only three in the next generation to take over and none seem willing to do that much or have shown any interest in anything associated with the Windsor family.

She is one of those people who want to work and work a lot whereas the younger royals seem to prefer to do one or two things rather than take on the 100s that Anne does.

I can't understand this desire to stop the older royals from working. It is age discrimination and no different to any other type of discrimination. As an older person it really annoys me when people try to push my generation out - particularly given how many of the younger generation don't seem to have the same work ethic or staying power we have.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:47 AM
Serene Highness

Nothing to do with age discrimination. it is a dislike of Anne because she so obviously dislikes her job.. So I'd be very pleased if she gave it up. Im happy to see the queen working if she feels up to it. I dont think that the younger generation is going to work veyr hard, but then they are such a dull threesome, that I really dont care very much.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:48 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Anne, Princess Royal Current Events 6: 1 January 2014

Quote:

Wow you're really taking his "oust Anne" thing into every thread aren't you. Mainly where it's got nothing to do with the topic at hand.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:47 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Nothing to do with age discrimination. it is a dislike of Anne because she so obviously dislikes her job.. So I'd be very pleased if she gave it up. Im happy to see the queen working if she feels up to it. I dont think that the younger generation is going to work veyr hard, but then they are such a dull threesome, that I really dont care very much.
Wow. This has got to be a first. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone thinking that Anne dislikes what she does or anyone that really seem to have a genuine dislike of most of the British Royal Family.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Have you ever seen Anne up close and personal when she is at work?

I have and she seems to enjoy what she does very much. She is committed and enthusiastic about what she does.

She can be brusque at times and, like Philip, she doesn't suffer fools gladly but she can be quite charming and clearly understands that her position allows her to get things done in ways that ordinary people can't.

She isn't the touchy-feely sort of royal that some people seem to think they all should be these days but she is friendly and enjoys very much what she does.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:06 AM
Serene Highness

really? Sorry but there are loads of people who dont like most or all of the British royal family. Anyway Im out of this. I know there's no hope of Anne disappearing,
Old 09-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

As a fellow sufferer of RBF (see 'Resting bitch face' is real, scientists say - CNN.com ) for a complete explanation of the social phenomenon), I think we over-judge Anne based on our perception, rather than her reality.
I can completely verify the ability to look cranky even when I know I have engaged a small smile. When I am paying close attention and fully engaged, I mostly likely am showing RBF. I have to pull an exaggerated grin to make it seen - and then it's usually read as fake.
Compensating is not simple and relies on a combination of eye contact and body language as well as a conscious effort to do something with my facial muscles. None of which comes across in a photo - but can be seen on video or live.
BTW, as noted in the text above, we are most likely to perceive BF on women, rather than men.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
As a fellow sufferer of RBF (see 'Resting bitch face' is real, scientists say - CNN.com ) for a complete explanation of the social phenomenon), I think we over-judge Anne based on our perception, rather than her reality.
I can completely verify the ability to look cranky even when I know I have engaged a small smile. When I am paying close attention and fully engaged, I mostly likely am showing RBF. I have to pull an exaggerated grin to make it seen - and then it's usually read as fake.
Compensating is not simple and relies on a combination of eye contact and body language as well as a conscious effort to do something with my facial muscles. None of which comes across in a photo - but can be seen on video or live.
BTW, as noted in the text above, we are most likely to perceive BF on women, rather than men.
Wow, I never knew there was a name for it, though I certainly know a few ladies that look like that.