Daughter for Peter and Autumn: Savannah Phillips - December 30, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose people will soon get accustomed, but it still seems like an odd choice.
It is fairly popular in America (along with other place names like Cody, Cheyenne, Dakota, etc.), but neither of the baby's parents is American.

Still, I can see why they wouldn't pick something like Toronto or Halifax!

But Autumn is Canadian, which is part of North America.

I wonder if the name has any special significance to one or both parents. Is the name popular in Canada??

But Autumn is Canadian, which is part of North America.

I wonder if the name has any special significance to one or both parents. Is the name popular in Canada??

I don't see why the name of a city in the U.S. would be popular in Canada, but I suppose it is possible.
Especially if it's lifted from film or television, as so many names are.
(That's what it sounds like to me, a soap-opera name).

:previous: I don't see why not. We live in a Global economy and people travel a lot more than they used to. Whose to say that the couple didin't visit Savannah, which according to my mother is a BEAUTIFUL City.

According to Savannah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Name Savannah | Namipedia | The Baby Name Wizard

Savannah is a somewhat popular name in Canada. Not top ten but its on the radar.

Global Popularity of the Name Savannah

• <LI class=first>#33 in United States
  • #61 in Canada (British Columbia)
  • #73 in Australia (New South Wales)
  • #78 in Canada (Alberta)
  • #246 in Scotland
  • #380 in Canada (Quebec)
  • #410 in Norway

This is seriously amusing to me. I know we all have a right to our own opinions, but it's really not that big of a deal. I have a feeling that no matter what they named their daughter, someone would've disliked the name or had something negative to say about. I'm just happy that Peter and Autumn named her something they clearly like, instead of feeling pressured to give her a more "royal" name. Obviously Peter and Autumn want to stay out of the limelight and, for heaven's sake, Peter doesn't even hold a royal title! I highly doubt naming the Queen's first grandchild Savannah is going to bring down the House of Windsor as we know it.
Well spoken, my thoughts exactly, it would be different if William and Kate name their daughter Apple or Pixie Dust, but really, these are private citizens who happen to have Royal relatives, which will become less of an issue once Charles is King, then William. :flowers:

:previous: I don't see why not. We live in a Global economy and people travel a lot more than they used to. Whose to say that the couple didin't visit Savannah, which according to my mother is a BEAUTIFUL City.

According to Savannah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Name Savannah | Namipedia | The Baby Name Wizard

Savannah is a somewhat popular name in Canada. Not top ten but its on the radar.

Global Popularity of the Name Savannah

• <LI class=first>#33 in United States
  • #61 in Canada (British Columbia)
  • #73 in Australia (New South Wales)
  • #78 in Canada (Alberta)
  • #246 in Scotland
  • #380 in Canada (Quebec)
  • #410 in Norway

Well Autumn is from Montreal, so 380th in Quebec is a bit telling. There are many Canadian cities a child could be named for. Actually many Canadian cities were named for British royalty. Alberta was named for the daughter of Queen Victoria who lived in Canada at one point as was Lake Louise (her middle name was Alberta for her father and it was her not the prince consort for whom it was named). Victoria and Regina were named for Queen Victoria. There is queen Charlotte Island and so on. We may be close to the US, but to say we'd pick an American city because we are in North America, is like saying someone in England is bound to name their child Milan because Italy is on the same continent.

Well spoken, my thoughts exactly, it would be different if William and Kate name their daughter Apple or Pixie Dust, but really, these are private citizens who happen to have Royal relatives, which will become less of an issue once Charles is King, then William. :flowers:

Princess Pixie Dust!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I've read somewhere, cannot for the life of me remember where, that apparently Autumn used to work in a cafe or shop or something that was called Savannah's, to fund her way through Uni or something along those lines.

Personally I have no objection to the name, like others have pointed out she's their child, not mine so it really doesn't matter what I think. And anyway it's a nice enough name, it's not silly sounding (to me anyway), it's not like naming your child after a wine or a car or your favourite football team or something ;)

Plus I really don't think it matters whether it's a traditionally "Royal" name as in the grand scheme of things she isn't technically royal nor will she likely at any point in her life be expected to perform royal duties or even I suspect be expected to turn up to big public royal occasions. Not that I'm saying she'll never be involved with her family, just that in a public sense I think she'll be kept away from that so she can just be a "normal" private citizen. I think while she is the great grand-daughter of the Queen, she's a private citizen who won't really be seen or heard from unless she later in life chooses a career that brings her to public attention (perhaps in equestrianism since it runs in her family).

I've read somewhere, cannot for the life of me remember where, that apparently Autumn used to work in a cafe or shop or something that was called Savannah's, to fund her way through Uni or something along those lines.

Personally I have no objection to the name, like others have pointed out she's their child, not mine so it really doesn't matter what I think. And anyway it's a nice enough name, it's not silly sounding (to me anyway), it's not like naming your child after a wine or a car or your favourite football team or something ;)

Plus I really don't think it matters whether it's a traditionally "Royal" name as in the grand scheme of things she isn't technically royal nor will she likely at any point in her life be expected to perform royal duties or even I suspect be expected to turn up to big public royal occasions. Not that I'm saying she'll never be involved with her family, just that in a public sense I think she'll be kept away from that so she can just be a "normal" private citizen. I think while she is the great grand-daughter of the Queen, she's a private citizen who won't really be seen or heard from unless she later in life chooses a career that brings her to public attention (perhaps in equestrianism since it runs in her family).

You probably read it from Richard Palmer tweet
Twitter / Richard Palmer: Autumn Phillips worked in ...

A couple of posts ago, I asked if anyone could name the great grand children of George V. Since people were so concerned about Autumn and Peter naming a great grandchild of a soverign such an unusual name.

The great grandchildren are Charles, Anne, Edward, Andrew, David, Sarah, another David, Jeremy, Mark, James, Henry, Martin (grandchildren of the Mary, the Princess Royal), Alexander, Davina, Rose (the grandchildren of Henry, Duke of Gloucester), George, Nicholas, Helen, Frederick, Gabriella, Marina, and James (grandchildren of George, Duke of Kent).

My point in case you managed to stay awake...is that no one really pays attention to the great grandchild of a sovereign. Unless of course, that great grandchild is a monarch in waiting (i.e. Charles) . So Savannah will not stand out and the House of Windsor (or Windsor-Mountbatten) will live another day.

Maybe they just thought it a pretty, unique name- or maybe it's a unique way to honor Anne too ( another poster suggested this and I love the idea)

A couple of posts ago, I asked if anyone could name the great grand children of George V. Since people were so concerned about Autumn and Peter naming a great grandchild of a soverign such an unusual name.

The great grandchildren are Charles, Anne, Edward, Andrew, David, Sarah, another David, Jeremy, Mark, James, Henry, Martin (grandchildren of the Mary, the Princess Royal), Alexander, Davina, Rose (the grandchildren of Henry, Duke of Gloucester), George, Nicholas, Helen, Frederick, Gabriella, Marina, and James (grandchildren of George, Duke of Kent).

My point in case you managed to stay awake...is that no one really pays attention to the great grandchild of a sovereign. Unless of course, that great grandchild is a monarch in waiting (i.e. Charles) . So Savannah will not stand out and the House of Windsor (or Windsor-Mountbatten) will live another day.

Good point and its so true. It really doesn't matter what Peter and Autumn have named their daughter. It will become lost among the other great grandchildren the Queen will be blessed to maybe have one day. Except for William's children of course. We won't see much of Savannah anyways except at maybe special royal events if that. She will be raised I'm sure as Peter was out of the spotlight but, still respecting the family she was born into. What will never change is that Savannah will always be a great granddaughter to a Sovereign and a granddaughter to a Princess.

Last edited:
(That's what it sounds like to me, a soap-opera name).

One possible explanation for the city's name is Savannah comes from the Shawnee, a Native American people who settled in that area in the 1600s. Another is that it comes from the Algonquin word for "Southerner" or "salt". Another theory is that the name Savannah is derived from the word savanna, a kind of tropical grassland, which was borrowed by the English from Spanish sabana and used in the Southern colonies.

So there you have it.

It's a lovely city, and when my family and I lived in Georgia, we'd spend a lot of summers there.

Savannah has become a person's name. I can't think of any Canadian cities that have been used as a human name (except for cities named after people.)

The name may not be all that popular in Quebec, but Autumn is an anglophone. I would imagine it is more popular in that segment that amongst the francophones. (Which are the majority.)

I was sure they would choose something quite unusual (by the standards of the BRF). I didn't know that Savannah is popular as a first name in the US and I'm not sure about how I like the name and its relations itself. But actually, Savannah Phillips sounds nice to me. :)

are there any pictures of the little baby?

None of which I am aware and I doubt that we will get to see any.

The Philips children have been raised out of the spotlight and no doubt Peter will want that privacy for his children as well. This girl will be a blip on the royal radar - will maybe appear at the odd royal function in the future but in the full measure of time should be allowed to grow up and go about her life in anonymity - like Louise and James are being raised.

It is very clear that the children of the royals down the line of succession are being raised away from the spotlight to allow them as much freedom as possible.

I was looking through an old Hello! about the Concert for Diana and ran across a picture of one of Diana's close friends who was with her daughter Savannah. I'm sure they weren't influential in Autumn and Peter's decision making, but maybe it's a more common name in those circles than we think.

Rosa Monckton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So we have Savannah; and what about her middle names?

Her father has three: Peter Mark Andrew

I love the name Savannah- cant wait to see pics of the lil cuite pie!

So we have Savannah; and what about her middle names?

Her father has three: Peter Mark Andrew

I don't think she has any, or they haven't been released.

I doubt we'll get any pictures.

Last edited:

I think you will have a long wait - maybe we will get one when she is baptised and then I wouldn't expect to see any until she is in a young girl at a wedding or a funeral.

I really think we should accept the fact that this child, and any more that Peter and Autumn or Zara and Mike have simply won't be photographed for the general public to see. She is way too far from the throne to be on any interest to the press.

The first pic, whether official or just paparazzi, probably will be of interest just because it's the first .... We will see her eventually at something I am sure

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can remember there is one black and white photo showing Queen Mum with one of her great-grandsons by Lady Sarah Chatto. I believe it was photographed by Lord Snowdon. Maybe we get to see some kind of photos where from Great-Grandmother down to great-grandchild are all on the photo. (Elizabeth, Anne, Peter and Savannah). Would be nice IMO.

As far as I can remember there is one black and white photo showing Queen Mum with one of her great-grandsons by Lady Sarah Chatto. I believe it was photographed by Lord Snowdon. Maybe we get to see some kind of photos where from Great-Grandmother down to great-grandchild are all on the photo. (Elizabeth, Anne, Peter and Savannah). Would be nice IMO.

I would expect that such a photo could be taken at the christening and released then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom