Daughter for Peter and Autumn: Savannah Phillips - December 30, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Savannah... :ermm:
I'm disappointed with such a geographical name. Is it Christian?

No, it is not christian (like Anne/a, Elizabeth or Susanna).

Savannah is just a female first name connected to the river and town in Georgia/USA. It means the open plain/open grassland. (see: Savanna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). The word "savanna" for open grassland comes from the arawakan languages in South America.

Savannah is a somewhat common name in the States. Is it top ten popular? No its not. Its not just for movie stars. I know a young lady named Savannah.

While it wasn't a name I was expecting..I like it. Furthermore, I don't know how things are done in the BRF, but in the past (George V and beyong time frame) the monarch had much more of say in the name of royal babies. That is why Princess Margaret was Margaret and not Ann.

Now it might not be the case (its 2011 and not 1932 and Savannah is # 12 and not # 4 in the Line of Succession nor does she have the title of Princess) but I am thinking that the Queen doesn't have a problem with the name of Savannah.

And the first line of that article details how pathetic associations with names are,
George Clooney regularly tops "gorgeous man" polls, yet his is the first name least associated with attractiveness in a new study

But yes, an opinion is an opinion.

This name barely surprises me, it didn't seem to me Peter and Autumn would go for traditional names... If you google "Savannah Phillips" here's what you have, there's already a singer with that name:

Google

so sorry but I can't stop thinking about Prince Philip and the Queen's face on hearing Savannah!! :)

I want to know what Peters cousin Hon. Michael-John Ulick Knatchbull thinks about the name. Since his daughter (born 2001) has this name...
"How pathetic Peter! There are enough names!" :lol:

Wasn't the name Zara suggested by Prince Charles? I personally love the name.

I did not think Peter and Autumn would choose a traditonal name.I did not think of Savannah but I think it's pretty name and yes it's common in the U.S.

While they have every right to name their daughter whatever they wish, I, for one, am disappointed with "Savannah." It falls under the category of made-up names along with other cities, last names as first names, and alternatively spelled names. I thought we could count on the royal family for a little more tradition than this. Around this neck of the woods, people name their dogs Savannah! There, I've said it! :eek:

Yeah...I am a bit of a name snob, I would prefer something more traditional than Savannah, too. It doesn't have much history and it really is more an American name than English, I think.

That being said, I have to admit it sounds pretty.

I like it, it's pretty. The baby although related to the queen is part of the royal family, but only a half blue blood. They have said from the get go that they want a normal life, and this is a "normal" and sweet name. I wonder how the queen will pronounce it in her british accent????

Can't claim to be The Queen, but i can imagine she'd pronounce it like everyone else, Sa-van-nah?

Savannah is a somewhat common name in the States. Is it top ten popular? No its not. Its not just for movie stars. I know a young lady named Savannah.

While it wasn't a name I was expecting..I like it. Furthermore, I don't know how things are done in the BRF, but in the past (George V and beyong time frame) the monarch had much more of say in the name of royal babies. That is why Princess Margaret was Margaret and not Ann.

Now it might not be the case (its 2011 and not 1932 and Savannah is # 12 and not # 4 in the Line of Succession nor does she have the title of Princess) but I am thinking that the Queen doesn't have a problem with the name of Savannah.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was surprised by the choice, but not because it is an unusual. I know at least two Savannahs under the age of 5 here in the US and I would not be surprised if it has the same level of popularity in Canada.

Nice choice; totally unexpected by lovely none the less.

It sure isn't a royal name. I wonder if the uncle knows what he talking about?

Well, Zara isn't a royal name.. and neither is Peter, really.. at least not in the BRF. I suppose we'll have to see what they paired with the first name.. ;)

Zara is just an other variety of Sarah and it means Princess.

Sorry, but that's not correct. Zara is Greek and means "bright as the dawn".

The Princess Royal's branch of the family rather goes for the non-traditional, so I'm glad to see them keep up the tradition. Peter and Zara are certainly not royal names within the BRF.. Peter and Autumn obviously liked the name enough to give it to their daughter, so who are we to judge?

I like Savannah. Now I want to know what her other names are :)

Last edited:
I used to go to school (in England ;) ) with a Savannah, don't think it's particularly unEnglish or anything. Not a name I'd choose myself but nice enough & really my opinion counts for little as she's not my child! Lol ;)

Find it amusing that someone here literally suggested it as a possiblity a few days previous to it being "announced", good prediction whoever it was!

I did think that maybe they would go a bit more traditional. Zara was a different name in the family and I'm sure it will grow on people.:flowers: What matters is that Peter and Autumn like the name and Savannah Phillips has a nice ring to it. It's a pretty name for I'm sure a beautiful baby girl.

Zara might mean Princess, but I don't see how the meaning of a name affects the actual person? I'm sure Zara doesn't say "Well my name means Princess, so I gotta act like one".
If a name is the deciding factor in things, then that's truely pathetic.

Peter Phillips isn't royal, he just has the Queen for a grandmother, he doesn't act like it, he is free to choose the name for his daughter. Are there any big named celebrities called Savannah?

I think Sienna Miller (British actress) has a sister called Savannah, a vague link to celebrity there...I may have imagined it but I'm sure I read that somewhere, think she's a fashion designer or something.

Ahh yeah she is, thanks for the reminder. She's not that well known.

Is Savannah a common name in Great Britain? It seems like a totally American or North American name to me.

Savannah is nice but I do think it rules out Anne as a middle name- Savannah Anne sounds a bit awkward- maybe Savannah Elizabeth Anne-?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom