The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Princess Royal and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristine View Post
I didn't like the name. For me it's too unusual. Maybe because here in Brazil we have a lot of unusual and hideous names and I getting tired of it But when a picture will be released?
I do not think a picture will be released. The Philips' are private citizens.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Courtier

good name!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 AM
Gentry

Judging by the birth announcements in the London Telegraph, Savannah is actually a name that is currently very trendy with upperclass Brits. It's also the name of a great-granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten, Savannah Knatchbull, born in 2001. She would be a fourth cousin of Savannah Phillips.

Savannah is also a name that has been extremely popular in the United States and probably Canada for at least the last 15 years. To me it sounds like your average high school cheerleader and has very little sophistication, though I know it's also been used by a few Hollywood actors in recent years. I suppose it has a more upper class image to someone like Peter Phillips and his third cousin Timothy Knatchbull.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Gentry

I like the name Savannah and think Savannah Phillips has a nice ring to it.

Please excuse my spelling and gramar, I have dislexiya.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Aristocracy

Wonderful !!!!!! Just simply wonderful !!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Gentry

Of course when you’re in 25th ...in line of a throne, you needn’t a tittle. Nobody would pay for you, and even the most imaginative governement or the most jet-set of Royals Courts would’nt know how to find you duties and charities and humanitarian journeys which could pass as really useful. They have plenty of crown princes and movies stars to play angels.

I find strange this name «*Savannah*». Of course today it’s a «*common*» and «*fashion*» name in middle and upper classes in UK or USA.
But maybe I’m conservative. I think it’s better to choose a christian name or an ancient name which corresponds to Europe (Scandinavian, Celtic, Russian etc.). Or an old name of the civilizations which influenced Europe (Persian, Greek, Mesopotamian, Arabic etc.).
The most important are that the saint or the meaning of the name is positive and clear.

Savannah? Nothing.
But finally it has no fundamental importance. Hope the baby is and will be happy and healthy, loved all her life.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm with reginalix in that the Phillips baby's name has no fundamental importance. I guess they'll be naming their first son Chicago.

Congratulations on a safe delivery!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I knew they would surprise us, but Savannah??!!! Wow!! Beautiful name, though. I like it too!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Courtier

I like it very much ... Savannah is a very popular name here in the US. I like Savannah Elizabeth Anne..
Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Oona View Post
Beautiful Name but completely out of left field for me! I was expecting a much more traditional name but then again she does have an Aunt Zara and mum Autumn.
But Zara means "Mornng Star" and is used as a female name for many years...well, in the Arabian culture, but always.

Whereas Autumn & Savannah (are you 100% sure it's really her name? Is it official) are some "freaks"

First: Name of a season
Second: Name of a city in the US, place of the famous Independence battle.

And as for the photo; Where her father was born, weren't his photos released? He was the first grandchild of the reigning Queen; untitled, but always a grandchild.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy

Congratulations... Any foto yet? Thanks...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But Zara means "Mornng Star" and is used as a female name for many years...well, in the Arabian culture, but always.

Whereas Autumn & Savannah (are you 100% sure it's really her name? Is it official) are some "freaks"

First: Name of a season
Second: Name of a city in the US, place of the famous Independence battle.

And as for the photo; Where her father was born, weren't his photos released? He was the first grandchild of the reigning Queen; untitled, but always a grandchild.
I don't think Autumn and Savannah are "freaks" at all. Both have been used as names for years. They may be unusual names for the royal family, but they aren't unheard of or brand new in general.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by reginalix View Post
Of course when you’re in 25th ...in line of a throne, you needn’t a tittle. Of course today it’s a «*common*» and «*fashion*» name in middle and upper classes in UK or USA.
1; She's 12th in line
2; I don't think it's a common name.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post

Freak is certainly the wrong word, and yes it's a official.

He was the first grandchild, but Savannah is a great-grandchild from parents who aren't title, don't think we'll see an official picture.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Savanah

Usage: English Pronounced: sə-VAN-ə [key]

From the English word for the large grassy plain, ultimately deriving from the Taino (Native American) word zabana. It came into use as a given name in America in the 19th century. It was revived in the 1980s by the movie 'Savannah Smiles' (1982).
(from Behind the name's site)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Courtier

an open plain...or treeless open land.

Savannah - meaning of Savannah name
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I like the name. I think Savannah Phillips has a nice ring to it. I was betting on Anne as a middle name, but Savannah Anne doesn't run smoothly. As MRSJ suggests, it could be Savannah Elizabeth Anne, but that doesn't leave any room for a name from [Autumn's] family we'll just have to wait and see.
Perhaps Savannah, containing "ann", is a nod to Princesse Anne; so no need for Anne as a middle name.

Autumn's mother's name is Kitty which doesn't lend itself very well as a middle name. I hope they use Savannah Elizabeth or Savannah Catherine.

Savannah is certainly no less traditional than the recent names of the Gloucester's granddaughters: Cosima (5/20/2010), Senna (6/30/2010), and Lyla (7/1/2010.)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I don't think Autumn and Savannah are "freaks" at all. Both have been used as names for years. They may be unusual names for the royal family, but they aren't unheard of or brand new in general.
You are right, but these name will always be very strange to me. Savannah is not unknown in Germany und i think it came up together with Kimberly, Britney, Chelsea, Cheyenne about 1995.

But if i imagine people would call their kids in Germany like the german words for seasons, cities or tribes, i would consider them totally crazy.

E.g. "Herbst" (German for fall/autumn), Rostock/Berlin/Düsseldorf/Munich/Hamburg/Harz (just a name of a city, town or place like Savannah, Kimberly, Chelsea) or "Kelte" (=Celts) or "Alamanne" (=Alamanni) (two german "tribes"; like Cheyenne in US).
(In Germany parents are not allowed to use everyday words or place names as first names for their kids. But if a word (e.g. Summer) is used in US/UK as a first name, you can use it as a first name in Germany as well. So in the end, you may call your daughter Summer, but never ever Sommer (German for "Summer").)
Old 01-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Civil War, not War of Independence. Savannah is where the Confederates shelled Fort Sumpter, starting the war.
Fort Sumpter is in Charleston.