Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tenngirl said:
A couple of messages up, someone was talking about Felipe marrying a noble woman that he did not care for and how awful that would be. I have to admit that I started thinking about that and this is my conclusion. Felipe has a pretty easy life. Yes, he has to make boring visits all over and bear with the attention. But he is paid good money, he is able to go anywhere he wants in the world, he does not have to get up and go to a boring job EVERY DAY, he does not have to work out with the wife who will stay home with the sick baby. He has a very easy life.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Some might say that Felipe (and the jobs of the other monarchs and princes or princesses) is exciting because they get to travel lots of places and the days are never routine. But how do you know that someone like Felipe doesn't like routine and wouldn't like going into an office everyday?

Life is also not as easy as it looks. For the Spanish royal family especially safety is a constant concern with the death threats by the ETA. Not to mention that no matter what you do or how much you do, people are never happy with you or the job you're doing. On top of that the media scrutiny over your life can be very invasive. For the princesses it means that people are constantly looking at your belly to see if you are expecting or everyone is criticizing your hair, your makeup, your clothes, how you smile or if you smile. And if you have a bad day everyone knows about it because there is some paparazzi who will take the picture and sell the picture to a German tabloid.

How many of us normal people face this on a daily basis? Today I woke up, wore whatever I wanted to work, nobody looked at my belly to see if I was pregnant and if I was would it be a boy or a girl, nobody took my picture while I walked to work, nobody wrote on a forum that my hair wasn't very nice today, and nobody wanted to kill me because they wanted a republic. I got to have lunch when I wanted at a restaurant I chose when I felt that I had done enough work for the morning and needed a break. Do you think that if Felipe or Letizia decided that they had had enough of a someone's speech they could just get up and go have a coffee break?

tenngirl said:
It seems then that marrying a noble or royal woman is a simple trade-off. He has all these benefits, can't he sacrifice something?

Didn't Charles sacrifice Camilla and his true happiness to marry a virginal aristocrat? While it may have seemed like a simple trade off look at the severe and long lasting repercussions from it: the lives of Charles, Diana, Camilla, Andrew and their four children were affected, two marriages were ruined, the British monarchy was in disarray for years because of the scandal, Diana became a hunted woman because she was the woeful victim of Camilla the pitbull and died at the hands of the paparazzi because they thought she was enaged to and/or expecting Dodi al Fayed's baby. A simple sacrifice that was worth it in the end? :(

And why should Felipe sacrifice his personal happiness, not to mention make someone else (his noble wife) unhappy because he doesn't really love her but married her for the sake of the monarchy?

And is the monarchy in such a terrible state because of Letizia? Because she isn't noble? And would people prefer a noble but less dedicated wife or a wife who isn't noble but dedicated and committed to her job like Letizia?

tenngirl said:
Before you shoot me for wanting him to be miserable, that is not my intention. However, if monarchy is going to mean anything in the years ahead, it is going to have to keep its uniqueness. Marrying women that are not noble, etc. is not the way to do it.

There are ways to maintain the monarchy's uniqueness without insisting that royals marry each other.

tenngirl said:
Just my two cents. Now I will duck all the pies being thrown my way!

Why the need to duck pies? If you have an opinon then have the guts to stand by it but also have the guts to hear out the opinons of others to counter those opinons.

Genevieve said:
nobody looked at my belly to see if I was pregnant and if I was would it be a boy or a girl, nobody took my picture while I walked to work, nobody wrote on a forum that my hair wasn't very nice today
I love this post!

People think that to be a member of the royalty it is a privilege, but isnt it.
I am sure that, Felipe and Letizia sacrifice many things, they are in the front sight, and that is very hard.

I agree with Genevieve, they dedicated all his life to a country, have assumed an immense responsibility. But to understand what I say, it is necessary to know his work, if us only thinks about the privileges that they have is to watch the monarchy of a very frivolous way.

Letizia before was not a menber of the royalty, but it has all the conditions to serve to Spain with the greater sacrifice, vocation, deification and a tremendous maturity to understand as it is the responsibility that has assumed.

They said before marrying, that fruit of very intense reflections was a mature decision, but with the weight and the solidity of the deep love that they had. they defined their marriage like a project, and an obligation by all their life.

The Marriage of Princes de Asturias, goes beyond the personnel, from very small Felipe he has been very conscious of his responsibilities and the sense of responsability is very prenset in him self.

The service to the Spaniards is the great personal and institutional commitment with which Felipe and Letizia now initiate a new stage in their life

Evidently they have “privileges” that normal people do not have, but also they have a work, responsibility, to have, that we do not have.

Last edited:
PreDoc said:
I love this post!

Yes me too. But nobody say if I'm pregnant that it's helped procreacion, if I need a secretary, it's because I want to be the leader of my organisation, if I had some lovers I'm a very bad woman, if my family is living as everybody with difficullties and happyness she totaly strange ... and so on...:p

I love this "couple". I live in France and we don't have monachy. I like seeing what Royal family does in a country and i think Felipe and Letizia work a lot and make a lot for Spain : they travel in others countries to represante Spain and they work hard. When they inaugurate a palce i'ts not just for several minutes for trh foto. They know a lot of things and to know more about people, the place they inaugurate.
They seem really happy together, romantics but not too much.
I've readen than Letizia seems ill, very thin and so and so : but she is a young mother. Isuppose that baby Leonor is a baby as others : crying in the middle of the night, needing a bottle, to be rassured : She must have toothhake wich is very hurting for many babies .....
That's normal her parents look sometimes a bit tired !!

zaza61 said:
i think Felipe and Letizia work a lot and make a lot for Spain : they travel in others countries to represante Spain and they work hard. When they inaugurate a palce i'ts not just for several minutes for trh foto. They know a lot of things and to know more about people, the place they inaugurate.

This is among the many things I like about Felipe and Letizia. They are very informed and educated wherever they go, whatever the duty. They don't just show up, accept the pretty flowers presented to them by some adorable little girl, smile, wave, pose for pictures and call it a day for the rest of the week.

Day after day, sometimes several times a day, they show up at their engagements, listen to the speeches or talk to the people who work at the facility or the organization, ask intelligent and thoughtful questions, and really participate in the engagement rather than seeing it as just another photo op at which to wear nice clothes.

Genevieve, very good description of the Princes of Asturias ' knowing how in their work. As it's easy to understand, to have a so accurate position it's meaning that they have to do an important office's work for reading notes on all that they have to know for those official acts.

If you want to have a schedule of the matters that thay have to "devour", have an eye on their agenda, it's look, for me, tremandous!

I think that their office work is the hidden face of the iceberg ; as you see their so numerous and various acts you can imagine that they have to do to be right. Admiration !!

Genevieve said:
There are ways to maintain the monarchy's uniqueness without insisting that royals marry each other.

Just asking, how? Isn't the whole premise of monarchy that certain people are better than others? They are worthy of having all this attention, blah, blah because their ancestors sat on the throne?

So, if they are better than the ordinary people and they marry an ordinary girl, now the heir is half ordinary. Then the heir marries an ordinary girl and their family is pure ordinary! So what is the point? At least, if Royalty marries Royalty, you have Royal children! Now, you just have commoners!

Genevieve said:
Why the need to duck pies? If you have an opinon then have the guts to stand by it but also have the guts to hear out the opinons of others to counter those opinons.

The reason I mentioned ducking is because I expected to get some critical responses since what I said was provocative! I was preparing to duck all the rotten tomatos being thrown at me for saying that. I do stand by my opinions and I am glad that we have this forum to discuss these things.

Let's say that Felipe follows the old formula. He marries Princess whatever, has a child and then has his women on the side. Because his wife was raised a Princess, she basically expects that and has her own men. They come together for official events and present a united front while living separate lives. The monarchy sails on because the majority of people do not know that they have their own relationships. They think that everything is wondeful. That is the way that Diana should have done. My point is that, since Diana was not raised a Princess, she refused to accept this and that is what caused her problems.

Do you think that Leti will stick with Felipe after he strays? Do you really think that he will be faithful to her forever? I think she will most likely leave the marriage and go on her way.

I do not wish that on them; however, when Joachim and Alexandra married, no one thought that in 10 years, they would be divorced!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the way that Diana should have done. My point is that, since Diana was not raised a Princess, she refused to accept this and that is what caused her problems.
As for me, Diana's source of all problems was the fact that she was an unexperienced teenager (19) without her education completed. And it was clearly obvious that Charles loved Camilla, not Diana. So it's no use comparising her and Letizia, who was much older while marrying Felipe, had university graduation and sence of fulfilment after years of hard work and splendid career.

LaChicaMadrilena said:
As for me, Diana's source of all problems was the fact that she was an unexperienced teenager (19) without her education completed. And it was clearly obvious that Charles loved Camilla, not Diana. So it's no use comparising her and Letizia, who was much older while marrying Felipe, had university graduation and sence of fulfilment after years of hard work and splendid career.

Diana's biggest problem is a deep insecurity, which might have been caused by her parents' divorce. Of course, the fact that she married young and never had any achievements in schools or career might play a role as well. Even after all the fame, status and adulation she received, she's never gotten over her insecurity. Her insecurity was the cause of her neediness for affection/love from not just her husband, who married her more for duty than love, but from the public, the media, and all people around her. The insatiable desire for love by the public made her try to upstage her husband and her in-laws. Her neediness was also evident in all the accounts by her friends and acquaintences in all those tell-all books. Her neediness might have driven Charles away despite all her outward suitability.

Letizia is a very different woman. By all accounts, she's a very confident, mature and independent woman. Before marriage, she's a career driven woman who rose quickly to the top of a cutthroat business. She's well educated, with a master degree. She's well read, well traveled and knew politics and world affairs. In all personal aspects, she's Felipe's equal. That's not so in Diana's case. Plus, by all signs, Felipe seems head over heals in love with his wife. There's no sign of that in Charles and Diana's relationship.

To suggest Felipe will stray simply because other men did is ridiculous. Whether a marriage will survive depends on the relationship between the couple instead of the bride's "suitability".

tenngirl said:
Let's say that Felipe follows the old formula. He marries Princess whatever, has a child and then has his women on the side. Because his wife was raised a Princess, she basically expects that and has her own men. They come together for official events and present a united front while living separate lives. The monarchy sails on because the majority of people do not know that they have their own relationships. They think that everything is wondeful. That is the way that Diana should have done. My point is that, since Diana was not raised a Princess, she refused to accept this and that is what caused her problems.
!

Although I'm not as well-informed about the Spanish monarchy as the British, I believe the two have different histories and expectations that make a comparison difficult.

The British Royal Family have preferred to marry into the British aristocracy rather than royalty. The Queen Mother was an aristocrat like Diana and her marriage and partnership with George VI as Queen were very happy. So a marriage between an aristocrat and a royal can work in the BRF.

Its also untrue that royals who marry each other have a lot of affairs. Maud and Haakon, Olav and Martha of Norway, Frederik and Ingrid of Denmark, Carl Adolf and Margareta of Sweden had warm and loving marriages with no apparent affairs.

It appears that for some groups in Spain there was an expectation that Felipe would marry a royal whereas there was never that expectation for Charles. So I don't see how you can compare the two.

Can I say she's extremely thin?.
Not beautiful at all for the moment.

Yes, I agree, also...I think she is really too thin and I do think it detracts from her normally vibrant look. I also think this new hairdo is very becoming, though, especially in the pictures from the event last Thursday. I notice in two of the past three events where she has initially worn her hair up, that later in the day it is down! Hopefully she can get that organized because having it pulled away from her face is flattering.

She is way to thin. She needs to eat. She used to be so beautiful but she is way to thin now. I like her with her hair pulled back. I really like how it is at the event where she is wearing the black outfit.

She does not need to eat; the princess eats very well.
The princess is wonderful and mainly very happy. :)
She does not have any problem with her body. She is skinny, but this is normal, single watch the work that they have. And soon is the care of leonor and many things; that before she did not have. And after that is her constitution; so I do not see because worry as much for that reason.

I agree with CRIS ...Letizia does not need to eat; the princess eats very well

I am a very thin girl by nature, like Letizia, and I do not have any problem with the food.If letizia is thinner than ever I do not believe that it is because she doesn´t eat. Probably has changed her metabolism after her pregnancy or perhaps it must to that Letizia is a very nervous woman and she becomes thin with much more facility than other persons but I do not think that she has problems with the food solely because she is thin.

Last edited:
I find Princess Letizia getting thinner each time I see her pictures.She is so beautiful I hope she knows that.Anyway happy 2nd wedding anniversary to Felipe and Letizia!

To constantly comment about Letizia''s weight is no less rude than to comment on someone being fat.

Do we all have to say that she is too thin every royal event that we see her? It's not something we don't know. She is thin and it's a fact and very obvious and also becoming redundant and boring.

not wanting to be mean or anything but...

ditto. so please guys, let's all stop that kind of discussion here. i know we're all concerned about the Princes' health, but as there's no proof that she has a disorder or keeps losing weight, then let's accept the fact the she is really thin (and save our moderators from more work!;) ).

peace out! :)

Well, sometimes she dosen't look so bad and if I, and other members as well, point this out is because is becoming to obvious and she looks deteriorated, we do care but sometimes when one likes or love so much a person we put a sort of veil that dosn't allow us to see the reality, if you get a picture of Leti on the engagement day i.e. she's another person, now she's like that time when the anorexia comments arise, of course we know she dosen't have anorexia but she dosn't looks ok and saying she's glorious and esplendid won't help that much, saying is thing neither but one can't be so blind, she's probably a nervious person and that's all she have, I'd never suggested that she doesn't eat properly, how will I if every months there's an article remind us how well she eats, I tend to think she waste too much energies and calories because is a nervous person, that's all, but it is a shame because she was beautiful when journalist and with 10 pounds she would look great, right now she dosen't to be honest and I don't mean to bother any of Leti's fans, is just me and some of my friends opinion. It is a subjet like any other, it dosn't have to be a taboo the fact that she's loosing weight by the days, at least I have spoke about it with several peoples at the office and we all see the same, if you don't and the emperors have clothes my apologies. :)
Having said that it doesn't mean she's not doing the best she can as a princess, although I will like to see her more Leti and less Felipe, not in a bad way but I can't wait for the Royal House to let her do her own stuff along and has her own agenda, patronages, openings, along; her appeareance dosen't have anything to do with her job, only if she feels sick wich I don't think is the case yet, again I want her to looks her best, full or energy and even with her own agenda.

Last edited:
Always the same. Letizia is thin, because already this. Enough frustration will have she with not being able to gain weight so that is oppressed her. If a person is fat to say all the day that is fat it is not going to cause that it becomes thin and would be considered that is discriminated to her for being as is, because here equal.

I listened yesterday in a program a journalist who has written a book on the kitchen of the Real House and commented that the Royal Family always was to diet. The Borbones has tendency to get fat and they must take care of much, Infant Cristina has recognized who lives on diet, so that soon they do not criticize she by her weight (it is only necessary to see how they were in the 80).

Letizia has the opposite problem, and is evident that the life that takes non aid. A very active life of a side for another one, with the stress of the false news, the rumors, that everybody this pending of which beams, that were making damage to your family.Now being mother of a girl who in addition is quite great and with that she will have to make an exercise physical. The only problem is that Letizia is lost a weight that did not need to lose… other princess are lost the weight who needed lost to be perfect… perhaps they are lost more but them note less.

I feel that this photo of Erika is so bad, but have not found another one and it serves me for which I am explaining. The photo is of the last week, Erika has her work, her daughter and her own problems. She is not princess….but she is so thin how she is her sister. (from telecinco)

Another thing, yesterday the journalists who were commenting on the visit to Fuenlabrada, were commenting on the physical effort that they supposed a visit like that. They are many hours of foot (in case of Letizia on a very high heels) and greeting hundreds of persons; all this meets aggravated in this epoch by the heat. It is a sample of which she is perfectly, because but she neither might support these days, she might not even support an agenda how that of this week.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/439665-post3.html

Last edited:
They seem like an ok couple. I agree sometimes it doesn't seem that they show emotion easily, but that just could be the way they are. I do Wish Letizia
would have more solo duties. It seemed at first she was such an independent woman, but I feel in a lot of ways the royal family is holding her back. But,
I'm not sure if this is how the spain royal family is to all the women? I mean are they afraid Letizia will take some of the "light" from her husband?

With an agenda so taken up ( this five days for the Prince, four days for the Princess with only one in Madrid ) they need a sport training.....But, please stop with the stupities about this very curious illness. I don't understand this indecent insistence about the Letizia's thiness. First it's her right but obviously it's her sound constitution...So what!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom