The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I also think that if Zarzuela allows Letizia to expand herself she will be the spotlight and she will take all the grants from her husband and to me that is why they want to keep her in her hunsband's shadow!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
iwhat worried me the most was during the presentation of sofia and her need to look at felipe or sometimes even repeat what felipe said when asked about the baptism or the godparents. she looked way more nervous and insecure than with leonor, in my opinion... and i always thought it should have been the other way round.

i guess it's all because every time she answered the questions of the press, those answers were commented and judged too much, and now she is perhaps insecure about what she says...
I didn't think Letizia looked nervous and insecure at all during Sofia's presentation. I think she looked absolutely radiant and happy. What I think you might have noticed is that it was somewhat more messy than with Leonor presentation. When she was presented all the attention was for Letizia and Leonor just lay sleeping in mommy's arms. Everyone had already heard Felipe speak, so everyone gave her opportunity to tell how she felt. With SOfia's presentation it was especially Leonor who had all the attention. I think as cute as she was, she took also a lot of her mothers attention, who was wathching en smiling at her daughter all the time. So whenever Felipe said somehting, Leonor starting saying something, and then Letizia might have repeated it in a different way. Dut she didn't seem insecure at all to me.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Aristocracy

And to me princess Leonor, I agree with you.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree totally, yes with the mischievous Leonor both Felipe and Letizia were to pay attention to the two girls before to can to speak quietly with the press. It's true it was more messy but it's totally understandable with the joke's demonstration of Leonor...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Aristocracy

For me, Letizia is doing a fine job for now. From what I've seen, it seems that the role that is being carved for her is like that of a First Lady (or since Felipe is not yet head of state, maybe First-Lady-in-the-making). I believe that in time she will be championing certain causes that are particularly close to her heart, but these will always be in support of the agenda of her husband, the head of state. I can be proven otherwise, but I sense that in Spain there are no complaints about the Princess not having a solo agenda because when the time comes, the barometer for the monarchy's survival is not primarily her performance but that of Prince Felipe (whom I think is doing a great job btw) -- just like Queen Sofia's performance is not the most important point of reference for King Juan Carlos' reign.

Having said that, I also think that Letizia can provide a value-added to the monarchy by (among other things) generating publicity to certain causes and to events that she attends on her own or with Felipe. If Queen Sofia would be her benchmark... The Queen we know and respect now was not made overnight; and in her time, I think that to be a mother was also the first in her agenda in her first 3 years of marriage to Juan Carlos.

I have a feeling that with the King still very much active and still looking forward to reigning for many more years, they might also be allowing Letizia to indulge herself and devote a good amount of her time to being a mom to children who surely are going to live extraordinary lives (no matter how much they are going to try to be "normal"). Since Leonor's birth, she seems to be very confident in her role as a parent and for that, I'm glad for her. While her children are still small, I think she'll take on a few responsibilities (both solo and shared); but I think that as her children grow older, Letizia will also have more and more opportunities to to blossom with confidence as Princess and then as Queen.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartheina
For me, Letizia is doing a fine job for now. From what I've seen, it seems that the role that is being carved for her is like that of a First Lady (or since Felipe is not yet head of state, maybe First-Lady-in-the-making). I believe that in time she will be championing certain causes that are particularly close to her heart, but these will always be in support of the agenda of her husband, the head of state. I can be proven otherwise, but I sense that in Spain there are no complaints about the Princess not having a solo agenda because when the time comes, the barometer for the monarchy's survival is not primarily her performance but that of Prince Felipe (whom I think is doing a great job btw) -- just like Queen Sofia's performance is not the most important point of reference for King Juan Carlos' reign.

Having said that, I also think that Letizia can provide a value-added to the monarchy by (among other things) generating publicity to certain causes and to events that she attends on her own or with Felipe. If Queen Sofia would be her benchmark... The Queen we know and respect now was not made overnight; and in her time, I think that to be a mother was also the first in her agenda in her first 3 years of marriage to Juan Carlos.

I have a feeling that with the King still very much active and still looking forward to reigning for many more years, they might also be allowing Letizia to indulge herself and devote a good amount of her time to being a mom to children who surely are going to live extraordinary lives (no matter how much they are going to try to be "normal"). Since Leonor's birth, she seems to be very confident in her role as a parent and for that, I'm glad for her. While her children are still small, I think she'll take on a few responsibilities (both solo and shared); but I think that as her children grow older, Letizia will also have more and more opportunities to to blossom with confidence as Princess and then as Queen.
Kartheina, if you allow me, if find your analysis absolutly excellent and totally according to the topic.

You have very well settle up the main role of a queen to be in a system where the Queen herself is first of all a consorte who dosen't have written charges but who with her sensitive of appreciation of the necessities of the moment has to manage her work in fonction of the nationa and international events. It's exactly that is doing the Queen Sofia who share is time between her country and the great international causes as the microcredit, the needy childhood, the great international ( or national, obviosly ) natural catastrophes.

As you say, for the moment the main role of the Princess of Asturias is to be the Main help to her husband ... and to assure the continuity of the dinasty, that she is doing very well with two Infantas in three years - despites the bad tasted gossips of her first months of wedding, forgotten today but of which none of the guilty had took care to apologize - Who is the most ridiculous in this matter ?-

If you are watching to the role of all the First Lady in any Republics, none of them have so much works, none of them have so many possibilties to make interventions for the children wealth, the need peoples's finances, none of them have so much posibilities to have a role inthe cultural's fields and so on, and all of that with a true sens of a logical continuation.

The Ministres of the Culture, for example, with the Queen Sofia have to be very happy to have a such discussion partner, it's very rewarding for the culture itself and its influence. It's not whithout interst that the Princes of Asturias have in charge quiet all the opening of the the Cervantes Institutes in the world.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess leonor
I didn't think Letizia looked nervous and insecure at all during Sofia's presentation. I think she looked absolutely radiant and happy. What I think you might have noticed is that it was somewhat more messy than with Leonor presentation. When she was presented all the attention was for Letizia and Leonor just lay sleeping in mommy's arms. Everyone had already heard Felipe speak, so everyone gave her opportunity to tell how she felt. With SOfia's presentation it was especially Leonor who had all the attention. I think as cute as she was, she took also a lot of her mothers attention, who was wathching en smiling at her daughter all the time. So whenever Felipe said somehting, Leonor starting saying something, and then Letizia might have repeated it in a different way. Dut she didn't seem insecure at all to me.
Agreed. I saw no signs of insecurity. She looked fabulous to me.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota
what worried me the most was during the presentation of sofia and her need to look at felipe or sometimes even repeat what felipe said when asked about the baptism or the godparents..
The questions on baptism or the godparents were reserved for Felipe on Leonor's presentation too. Felipe answered the institutional questions that required the input from the Kings.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I also think that Letizia looked a bit insecure when she answered the questions in Sofia's presentation and she was always looking at Filipe to have an approval! She didn't knew very well what to answer and I wonder why they are taking so long to announce it... I think almost everything Letizia say or do is controlled!
Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Was the same thing when Letizia arrived in Oviedo last year. To me she seemed to be very insecure or not confident when being questioned by the press. When they asked her when Leonor will come to Asturias she said something like ask the prince as he will decide on the issue - even if it's true I can't believe that a former field reporter gives such a submissive answer.

Maybe after her blunders in the beginning she got some pressure from Zarzuela and this his the result.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
Was the same thing when Letizia arrived in Oviedo last year. To me she seemed to be very insecure or not confident when being questioned by the press. When they asked her when Leonor will come to Asturias she said something like ask the prince as he will decide on the issue - even if it's true I can't believe that a former field reporter gives such a submissive answer.

Maybe after her blunders in the beginning she got some pressure from Zarzuela and this his the result.
What blunders are these?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade

She simply said the Prince would decide. I didn't find her insecure on either situation (Oviedo or Sofia's presentation), she looked radiant and very happy. If you don't like how she answered the question (the contents), that's another story. On when Leonor visiting Asturias, again, that's an institutional act, Letizia couldn't make the decision. Felipe has always been very busy, it would have to fit into his schedule as well. Mostly likely there was no plan at that moment. If she had said 'there is no plan', the Asturians would consider it very rude.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
If you are watching to the role of all the First Lady in any Republics, none of them have so much works, none of them have so many possibilties to make interventions for the children wealth, the need peoples's finances, none of them have so much posibilities to have a role inthe cultural's fields and so on, and all of that with a true sens of a logical continuation.
....It's not whithout interst that the Princes of Asturias have in charge quiet all the opening of the the Cervantes Institutes in the world.
None of them? I respectfully doubt this. Just to name a few: I`m pretty sure Cherie Blair is a hard worker otherwise she would not be a successful lawyer. I can also assure you that several German first ladies in past and present (e.g. Christina Rau, Christiane Herzog, Elly-Heuss-Knapp) are or have been chairwomen of successful and beneficial charity organisations. And Letizia will have to work many, many years to reach the level and impact of your very own former first lady Anne-Aymone Giscard d'Estaing and her Fondation pour l'Enfance.
And if Felipe and Letizia open the Cervantes Institutes this is a nice gesture – just that and not more.
Let´s have a look around and broaden your horizon before you start idealizing the monarchy and its personnel in relation to republics and their protagonists.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
On when Leonor visiting Asturias, again, that's an institutional act, Letizia couldn't make the decision. Felipe has always been very busy, it would have to fit into his schedule as well. Mostly likely there was no plan at that moment.
I know everything is very grand and pompous when talking about the Asturiases but seriously since when is visiting Asturias an institutional act? Statevisit, opening of parliament, recieving ambassadors are institutional acts. A Christening is a relgious act, visiting Asturias, visiting family?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
I know everything is very grand and pompous when talking about the Asturiases but seriously since when is visiting Asturias an institutional act? Statevisit, opening of parliament, recieving ambassadors are institutional acts. A Christening is a relgious act, visiting Asturias, visiting family?
The journalists really meant visiting Covadonga, not visiting family or friends. Maybe I should just say it's an official event, you will see some Asturian officials, lots of securities and press. Felipe, Letizia and Leonor were spotted at the gas station in Oviedo a few weeks before the PoA awards according to the Asturian newspaper, I'm not surprised if they spent some weekends there (not necessarily at her grandma's house).
Old 06-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzen
It's the presentation of Leonor to the Asturian people. Felipe went through the same, wearing the Asturian typical custom, waving to crowds and even, if I'm not mistaken, parading in an open car. So it is, as you said, very grand and pompous.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
It's the presentation of Leonor to the Asturian people. Felipe went through the same, wearing the Asturian typical custom, waving to crowds and even, if I'm not mistaken, parading in an open car. So it is, as you said, very grand and pompous.
Realy, the first presentation of Leonor to Covadonga's Virgin is similar to Atocha's Virgin presentation, but most pompous, I think so (with VIPS and Asturian politicians). you remember prince of Asturias proclamation, in Covadonga too, it's diferent.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

But then he was Prince of Asturias, Leonor is hopefully not going to be that in the immediate future.
HEre is from the PoAA thread
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...-a-8463-9.html
Quote:
Asked about her daughter Leonor she assured the being that the small one " finds well, marvellous " and as for a close visit of the Infanta to the Principality, Dona Letizia commented that " it will take place when the Prince says ".
The reporters asked when Lenor was going to come to Asturias, this does not have to mean more than visiting her family and be seen in the homeland of her mother, like Amalia in Argentina or Christian in Australia. I personally dont like this submissiv attitude she has gained, or been told to adapt, the last years, I much more preffered the "Let me finnish" woman back in 2003, much more interesting. Of course people can disagree all they want
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

So totally disagreement ... to visit Asturias, and more to visit Covadonga, it is not one more visit to the mom's family; simply, Christian will never be Prince of Australia or either Amalia Princess of Argentina.

Felipe, was taken by the first time to Asturias, to Covadonga with 9 years to be nominated Prince of Asturias. I believe that the words that the King declared that day summarize it well.

"In this ceremony, the six century-old tradition that demands that the Heir to the Crown be the Prince of Asturias is consecrated and renewed. My son remains linked to what this region represents and what his position as Heir to the Crown means, which here has been made exact and clear. Therefore, we can say that from this moment on, having received the Cross of Victory, the Prince will feel the moral responsibility of the future King".

To take Leonor to this place, without knowing safely if some day will be or not Princess of Asturias is complicated. Because from the moment in which Leonor was before the Virgin of Covadonga it would turn into the whole symbol. It seems that they have taken her already to house of the grandmother, but in a totally private way, slightly very different to doing it of public form. To do it of public form, it has a historical component. In the middle of the debate on the constitutional change and with the advertisement of the second pregnancy it was not looking like a very good idea.

Now with Sofía's birth it is a bit different, the Princes of Asturias would take their daughters ... and there would not exist this connection so direct as a presentation only of Leonor. On November 1 they are fulfilled 30 years of the appointment of Felipe as Prince of Asturias in Covadonga ... it would be a good opportunity.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

I think that answer is a princess answer, very intelligent, not submisive. I agree with donnak, the question is abaut Covadonga presentation, an institutional act in Asturias.

Well Larzen, you prefer an incorrect princess, it's more interesting , but it isn't good for her and the SRF, she's an intelligent woman.

Closed Thread