The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Nothing wrong with that, although I don't remember Felipe fighting for the protection of the planet.

If you are talking about that time when the Spanish public television showed him in a ten-chapter documentary series about animals, that was ten years ago. Nevertheless, I appreciate the fact he isn't a hunter.
Right for the hunting and as you know he isn't corridas' aficionado no more (ouffa!) that against a family inheritance (his grand mother the Countess of Barcelone and his father himself
About the planet, what was the subject of his act of the last monday for the Geographic Society? (Sorry I didn't kept the name in my memory but it's very easy to check)

The enviromental aspects of the world is the subject which is the most often emphazise when you read a Prince Felipe de Borbon's curriculum. Even his detractors are agree for that.

My dear Duncan, in two words with obviously some begining of proofs - I'm not too rude- which are the worst fault of your Crown Prince?

Old 03-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Commoner

To be sincere, I didn't like Letiizia at first. I thought she was just an ordinary woman withs lots of ambition and no charisma.
But now I have to recognize that she is trying to be a good Princess, she is working hard. And I think she is a good influence for Prince Felipe, he is less serious and more open to people when he attends to official acts since he is with her. I like the way Letizia looks at their daughter Leonor, she addores her little girls. She is a good, loving mother.
I won't forget the effort she made when , after her sister's funeral, she and Prince Felipe said a few words to the journalists that were waiting outside. I think that in Spain she won many people's hearts.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Commoner

Felipe and Letizia

I feel the Prince Felipe and Letizia will definitely change Spain when their time comes. Letizia has brought the best out on Felipe. For 3-4yrs ago you didnt hear too much about Prince Felipe....now he is a changed man, he has a beautiful wife and a gorgeous daughter to lead Spain into the 21st Century.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I love them, I think they are the most romantic Crown Princes Couple, He so tall, she so slim and beautiful, I just can't stop to look at them, CONGRATS, Prices, you're the best.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:38 AM
Gentry

Dear adelaide, I don’t find your comment rude at all, only a little too demanding, because you ask me to back a subjective opinion with objective proof. Many members have stated Felipe is great because he is in love with a wonderful woman and they are very happy together: that is their feeling, I respect it and I don’t think it's fair to ask them for proof.

I am mainly concerned about Felipe as a future head of state. In fact, I feel kind of disappointed every time I see him acting in a spontaneous way. I don't feel the angry man that argues with the organization guy at a public funeral is behaving like a true leader. Neither his spontaneous statements, like “If I wrote down everything I see I would be on par with García Márquez” or “lo siento por el mojón”, seem appropriate for a grown-up who is supposed to represent millions of people. I wish one day he would make me change my mind, though. I know members won't be upset and won't take it against me.

As for my previous comment, I was trying to say that the statement "his main concern is fighting for the planet" was a little exaggerated, especially if it's mainly based on the fact he delivered some prices at the Geographical Society. It’s true that when he was younger the Royal House advisers wanted to give him an ecologist veneer, but later they may have thought this approach could backfire, as it sometimes happened with Prince Charles. Therefore, the new managers of Royal House chose instead to give him more of a business orientation, and that's the Felipe we see today.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I did see Felipe talked with one of the guys who apparently organized the funeral at the entrance, it looked like he was telling the guy to do something. Neither one looked angry IMO, what was there to be angry about ?
I see ecology as one of Felipe's personal interests, but so far he hadn't done much to be called a fighter for the planet. He has been more involved at the main stream interests of Spain, such as international relation, business internally or abroad, promoting Spanish culture and language, to prepare himself to step in his father's position one day, who (the King) has been a great asset for Spain in pursuit of good international relations, business interests with other countries.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
I did see Felipe talked with one of the guys who apparently organized the funeral at the entrance, it looked like he was telling the guy to do something. Neither one looked angry IMO
That's what I thought when I saw the video too.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Dear adelaide, I don’t find your comment rude at all, only a little too demanding, because you ask me to back a subjective opinion with objective proof. Many members have stated Felipe is great because he is in love with a wonderful woman and they are very happy together: that is their feeling, I respect it and I don’t think it's fair to ask them for proof.

I am mainly concerned about Felipe as a future head of state. In fact, I feel kind of disappointed every time I see him acting in a spontaneous way. I don't feel the angry man that argues with the organization guy at a public funeral is behaving like a true leader. Neither his spontaneous statements, like “If I wrote down everything I see I would be on par with García Márquez” or “lo siento por el mojón”, seem appropriate for a grown-up who is supposed to represent millions of people. I wish one day he would make me change my mind, though. I know members won't be upset and won't take it against me.

As for my previous comment, I was trying to say that the statement "his main concern is fighting for the planet" was a little exaggerated, especially if it's mainly based on the fact he delivered some prices at the Geographical Society. It’s true that when he was younger the Royal House advisers wanted to give him an ecologist veneer, but later they may have thought this approach could backfire, as it sometimes happened with Prince Charles. Therefore, the new managers of Royal House chose instead to give him more of a business orientation, and that's the Felipe we see today.
I fear that you don't understand my purpose.

Yes, as you the couple of the Princes of Asturias as a love story is a great thing but not the main thing if you considere the balance of his duties.

But there, I'm going on to don't realize your thaught it's an objective discussion: What are the trubbles, the problemes, the difficulties, all the words that you want to describe the the negative opinion that you have of Felipe.

If I' m trying to summarize you: he is a total construction of the Royal House, i.e. whithout any personnal thaughts, he is totally unable to have spontaneous reactions : WHY, WHERE, WHEN ( apologize for the locks ), at each time you see him at the TV doing a speech that he read it( I'm not agree, I saw him too and I know the difficulties for every body to speak in front a public, even for the great " tenors" of the politic )

What else? Remember fist of all he can't have any politic opinion, it's your constitution. Then, it seems to me that he was reating that again and again his priority: To listen and to observe.

What do you want more? A " coup d'Etat" against his father according an old spanish tradition of instability?

Just a detail it seems to me that the Princes of Asturias has said to the journalist " lo siento por el remojon" and no " lo siento por el mojon" that is not the same thing. May be you can translate this two sentences for our friends of TFR....
Old 03-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Gentry

Since apparently I'll never make myself understood, I'll follow the advice of a wise philosopher:

"What can be said at all can be said clearly, and what we cannot talk about we must pass over in silence."
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Both of you should continue posting. Different opinions makes this board a more fun place to be .
Old 03-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Nobility

I don't like the isolation they have from other Royal Houses since their wedding, Felipe wasn't like that before, he was always on the royal gatherings and had a great frienship with Victoria, Hakoon, etc. There has being 3 or 4 occasions in where the pic of the new royals have being taked and no Felipe and Letizia, how many times we have being talking and expecting for royal gatherings w/o them?.
They aren't godparents of any royal kid probably for the same reason, the lack of friendship between them and the new royal couples, I remember just to mention a little ex. when Hakoon and MM came to Palma (i believe it was Palma) the hosts were Cristina and Iñaki, you could see pics of them and the kids but I will expect Felipe and Letizia to be the hosts not only because Hakoon and Felipe used to be great friends but because of the "rank", princes to princes, a good moment for L and MM to know each other best and you cannot understand because the whole royal family was there, is always Cris and Iñaki, Iñaki and Cris, fighting every fire.

I wondering if we the spanish citizens will have to pay to see Leonor, I don't understand, you could place here pictures of the three kids of King JC and Queen Sofia from every step of their lifes till now, that's in great part why we love them; we know those persons since early childhood; there's plenty of pictures of Felipe, Cristi and Elena on every magazine and they didn't grow up traumatized or anything like that; you can see very very often the Infanta's kids, there are some beautiful pictures from today in the snow, same to Mary's Christian, Maxima's girls and MM kid's, Monaco's kids, even Mathilde's etc, I personally know better foreing royal houses heirss than my own, we haven't see Leonor "live" since Palma, almost 7 months by now, except for a couple of pics on her birthday an a Christmas card, but you never ever get to see Leonor taking walks with her mom or her nanny, no snow, no nothing, forget if i do like Letizia or not, if a person wants her kids not to be on the public eye the best thing that person could do is never ever marry a royal and neverless a Prince because the people want to see them, that child will be a Prince or Princess and after that a King or Queen and the people needs to know that person in order to simpatize and knows how it is in every aspect, Im not saying you have to raise your childs in a show window but you don't keep a heiress away from the public eye for 7 months, if you are a couple of royals you cannot act like second class actors who ask for privacy for her kids, the actors have that right, the royals don't, the actor's kids have their face covered in spanish magazines, the royals don't and that has a reason.

And of course, Letizia needs a patronage, she's a smart woman who does nothing by herself, is time enough and you don't want to compare but it is inevitable, the rest of princess got marry almost at the same time, all have plenty of patronages and activities w/o the hubbies, except for Letizia.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I heard Felipe was sent to many royal gatherings before since his parents wished him finding himself a royal bride or a bride from upper echelon aristocratics, the same have been said about Nikolaos of Greece . So far I only see Felipe and Letizia missing one event, the Swedish King's birthday, but the Kings were there. About Harald's birthday, it's impossible for them to go since Letizia had a difficult pregnancy and her sister just died. All the talks about them missing the royals events are quite exaggerated.
Felipe is a goodfriend of Victoria and Haakon. He is the godfather of Ingrid and Victoria hasn't married yet. Felipe has his close circle of friends he usually hangs out with before or after his marriage. None of these big names royals are among them. They are mainly good friends, good colleagues, but never very very close friends. Just look at his long list of witnesses at the wedding, none of these CPs made the list, and it has nothing to do with Letizia .
Most of the childhood pictures of Felipe, Elena or Cristina were a little bit older. I already said it in another thread that we will definitely see more Leonor when she starts school.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaniaRocks
when Hakoon and MM came to Palma (i believe it was Palma) the hosts were Cristina and Iñaki, you could see pics of them and the kids but I will expect Felipe and Letizia to be the hosts not only because Hakoon and Felipe used to be great friends but because of the "rank", princes to princes, a good moment for L and MM to know each other best and you cannot understand because the whole royal family was there, is always Cris and Iñaki, Iñaki and Cris, fighting every fire.
That's wrong. The hosts of Haakon and MM in Mallorca over the years had always been Kyril and Rosario Nadal. Haakon and MM stayed at the house of Kyril and Rosario. Inaki and kids were seen a couple of times playing with them at the bench, they were invited to sail with the SRF, but Inaki and Cristina were never the hosts. Haakon and MM might also meet with Felipe and Letizia in private, we just don't know. It's exaggerating to say Cris and Inaki fighting every fire because they didn't.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Wow! Finally someone makes some sense!!! Wonderful insight. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

I just wanted to ask something: who's friends or at least a close acquaintance with Letizia in the Royal Circle? You see Jaime and Elena with the Hannovers, Rosario, MarieChantal; Cristina and Iñaki with Haakon, Kyril, Alexia, Alia of Jordan (whom's been great friends with them since the Palmas spent their honeymoon in Jordan, courtesy of King Hussein)
Maxima is good friends with Mathilde, Mary has a good relationship with Victoria and MM (so time is not an excuse, since L & M have been CPss for the same time) and I'm not talking about something "once-in-a-blue-moon" like it happens with the Bulgarian and Greek royals but Letizia actually interacting with other reigning royals in a not-social event thing (not that she goes to a lot of those)

That's my question, why are the Asturias so insolated from the rest of Royal Houses lately? (and I mean before Erika's death)

I just find it a little strange since both Felipe and Letizia are such outgoing people
Old 03-06-2007, 02:02 AM
Courtier

I also wonder why. At the end of the day it's the "gray men and the King" in Zarzuela who decide.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
I just wanted to ask something: who's friends or at least a close acquaintance with Letizia in the Royal Circle? You see Jaime and Elena with the Hannovers, Rosario, MarieChantal; Cristina and Iñaki with Haakon, Kyril, Alexia, Alia of Jordan (whom's been great friends with them since the Palmas spent their honeymoon in Jordan, courtesy of King Hussein)
Maxima is good friends with Mathilde, Mary has a good relationship with Victoria and MM (so time is not an excuse, since L & M have been CPss for the same time) and I'm not talking about something "once-in-a-blue-moon" like it happens with the Bulgarian and Greek royals but Letizia actually interacting with other reigning royals in a not-social event thing (not that she goes to a lot of those)
Prince Konstantin and his wife Maria Garcia de La Rasilla are among the best friends of the Princes. Felipe and Letizia also hang out with Kardam, Kubrat and their wifes. Family connections and geographical distances are also important factors in developing the friendship. Maxima used to work in Brussels when she was still a girlfriend of WA, Belgium and Netherlands are neighbors, so she and Mathilde become goodfriends. Mary has more connections with Victoria and MM since the Scandinavian monarchies are considered a big family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
That's my question, why are the Asturias so insolated from the rest of Royal Houses lately? (and I mean before Erika's death)

I just find it a little strange since both Felipe and Letizia are such outgoing people
They were at the Luxembourg celebration last year. Like I said before, so far the only event they missed in my opinion was the Swedish King's birthday. I don't know why, perhaps because the Kings were there. The baptisms, I don't see why they should attend if neither one was a godparent. Of course, if some royals wanted to go to every celebration, it's perfectly fine too. Felipe and Letizia were the guests of the Jordanian royal family during the Easter Holiday 2006 and attended the pre-wedding celebration of Hashem. They missed the wedding because they needed to return home for the Sunday mass in Mallorca, obviously good friendships between two royal families.
We also don't konw what is behind the scene, if they keep in touch with other royals through the telephones or emails.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
Like I said before, so far the only event they missed in my opinion was the Swedish King's birthday. I don't know why, perhaps because the Kings were there. The baptisms, I don't see why they should attend if neither one was a godparent.
Well he was the godfather of Ingrid Alexandra which they did not attend and he had no official work that day. Before Letizia he was at most events, even something as "unimportant" as Victorias 25th birthday, and his agenda in 2002 and 2003 was quite the same as it is now. Also they were not at Charles and Camillas wedding, even after it was moved, I know there was this professor and what not but there are always excuses if one wants them, we will see what excuses there are this summer when Victoria turns 30 and Sonja has her birthday. And I dont think he has met Haakon in private in Palama because both times he was there Felipe and Letizia was not.

But clearly there atleast used to be a close relationship, because Haakon even came to Beltran and Lauras wedding as one of the very few forreign royals, so he must know them quite well.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's a quiet amuzing debate that we are doing about who is the friend of whom because the appareances.

During the last summer we had some pics of the Princes of Asturias, Dukes of Lugo, Dukes of Palma and Princes of Preslav at the issue of a restaurant very fiendly.
but in fact who is actually the friend of whom, the Dukes of Lugo with the Princes of Preslaw? the Dukes of Palma with the Prince of Preslaw and so on the question stay open?

But to be clear this question is not innocent ones. As the item is asking is to put in evidence that the Princess of Asturias is so : no liked by the Felipe's peers or Letizia don't appreciate the others couples of Crown Princes?

Very, very hard alternative if you consider that never before his wedding Felipe of Asturias was well known for his deep frendship with his colleagues.

Yes, off course he know very well all, quite his cousins... Yes we can think that he was much closer with Haakhon of Norway before of the wedding of this one and before his rupture with E. S.Try to explain me why, may be because it's only speculations, theirs relation seem to be less close........

An other detail, but not the least, in this attempt to imagine a isolating role of Letizia in the circle of the European Crown Princess. Before his wedding the Prince of Asturias had about more or less 90th official acts by year; since his wedding his agenda is jumping at 230/250 official events by year, we can admit that the place for Gotha Festivity can to be restricted. Plus, exactly as his colleagues, the Prince of Asturias by wedding has create a familly, I imagine that you know what does mean: who in this forum can say that the friendship keep exactly the same habits before and after a wedding?

We can continue the samples a while. I think it's better to say that "IMO I think that Letizia has isolated the Prince of Asturias from the other Crown Princes" but in this case to be honest you have to argument your theory by othesr topics than your " intuition", and to be clear you have to demonstrate that that all the other crownprinces are very linked outside the internal festivity, isen't it?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Nobility

They are not the only royal couple who happens to work, take Maxima as an ex. the woman is going to have the baby in a plain and she and hubbie are in almost every royal gathering, the woman have being in the three corners of the world being pregnant, same for the other royals womans and couples who also happens to have a family and don't care less for them, some with even more kids to left behind or to take to the gatherings, by the way and of course the relashionships are never the same when you start a family because the lack of time and responsibilities that's why when you have a chance to disconnect, to relax, to stretch relashionships and get together you go and make an effort, take your kids w/ you if possible, take your best outfit, put your best face and meet with your pals or the people you know are important in your circle and you show them respect and that you also care for their weddings, their baptisms, their birthdays, their anniversaries, it can't be always about me me and me and mostly when you have all kind of luxuries availables like nannies to take care of the kids when in the night party, not to have to travel pregnant in a sardine tin like the rest of us, and things are taking care of ad infinitum; because for that rule of three every couple w/ family would of being isolated, will not travel if will imply a celebration etc. In Thailand you could see many Kings and their heirs, la creme de la creme was there and countless events w/o Felipe and Letizia who are royals, not politicians, who's natural environment so to speak are among royals, I mean, you can write and write excuses but the facts are there, we can fill out pages with pictures of Felipe in Royal gatherings pre wedding, they are royals after all... no? and they, as a couple, have being absent of almost all the royals baptisms, parties, birthdays, aniversaries, etc of the last three years so... I don't know if Letizia happens to like those gatherings or not, i'm not looking for "culpables/guilts" because it takes two to tango but it could be both, maybe she, or them both, dosn't like to be with their own natural coleages anymore or the SRH prefer to cover those events with the Kings, Elena and hubbie, Cristina and hubbie, etc, maybe their are winner assest or maybe is just casual but those are facts, is time for Felipe and Letizia to start to show some respect for the royals who also have their own problems and make the time to being at their wedding day and are part of their natural circle, I guess between royal houses they should say "send the invitation because of the protocol but don't put their cards at the dinner table".

BTW. The excuse that Felipe was at every gathering before get married to look for a girlfriend, somebody says something like that, please, we are all grown ups, there are better excuses, or the rest of the marry princes go to the gathering w/ their wifes because they are still looking?, please.

Closed Thread