Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
crisiñaki said:
Felipe is very good-looking, but doesn't have the charisma his father has, JC is something else:wub:

When Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias was proclaimed King in 1975, very few had good expectations of him, a puppet of the Generalissimo. Now, 37 years later we can say he is a good King.

So let us give Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia at least the chance to prove himself to become a good King as well.

:flowers:

Henri M. said:
When Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias was proclaimed King in 1975, very few had good expectations of him, a puppet of the Generalissimo. Now, 37 years later we can say he is a good King.

So let us give Don Felipe de Borbón y Grecia at least the chance to prove himself to become a good King as well.

:flowers:
Right Henri M. :flowers:
Becouse we doesn't know what the future bring us...we should waite and see:) And give Felipe (and his wife) a chance.

Last edited:
biboquinhas said:
I like Princess Letizia and Prince Filipe but I have one or two ideias that I want to place here, regarding their Agenda and regarding their private life and Leonor!
First, my opinion goes to a lack of "seeing the real life", their official duties are most inside Zarzuela, everyone who wants to have an audience with them must go there, so Filipe and Letizia ussualy don't go out of the Palace and see the real life. See how the entreprises work, talk to their empolyees, show them off to everyone!
I'm assuming you don't follow this couple too closely as their agenda is often spent out of the palace. Uusually they undertake most of their duties outside the palace.

However, it would seem that because of Letizia's pregnancy her duties are mainly taking place inside the palace.

Why is that even relevant? Surely the content of her meetings is what counts?

biboquinhas said:
It is quite normal that they rise attentions from all, everyone wants to see them, it is quite normal that everyone is asking where is leonor'Where is letizia if she doesn't appear for a while! I think that we should not critise those who ask for them because has they are going to be future Queen and King they raise expectation around them! So I think that they should work more hand to hand with the media! It is important to do that!! There is a lack of sympathy between them and the media IMO.
So Royals need to pander to the whim of the media?

Pertegaz's opinion :wub:

Manuel Pertegaz le ha regalado unos pendientes a la Infanta doña Sofía

Translation from google, sorry, if somebody can translate better?... :angel:

From that first contact with Doña Letizia, for already three years, Pertegaz has been continuing maintaining contact with her[...] For the princess it only has words of praise and admiration.
[...]

Q-In days the wedding anniversary of the princes is celebrated. How remember you that day?

Pert-I keep an immense memory of Doña Letizia. She's fantastic, I like how she's in all the senses. Ever since I saw in the hand requested one, I already paid attention to how it was physically and I thought how it would dress she for her wedding. And soon I dressed she!

Q-Do you like how dresses, the style that she has?

Pert-She can to me. If she goes better or worse dressed, I want she immensely. By the character that she has, she's that, she's magnificent, magnificent, intimate much when you dress a woman, much. The woman always wants that you put as a queen of handsome. And she was another woman. And the step that she has taken, is very strong. And it was a great commitment for me.

[...]

mapian said:
Pertegaz's opinion :wub:

Manuel Pertegaz le ha regalado unos pendientes a la Infanta doña Sofía

Translation from google, sorry, if somebody can translate better?... :angel:

From that first contact with Doña Letizia, for already three years, Pertegaz has been continuing maintaining contact with her[...] For the princess it only has words of praise and admiration.
[...]

Q-In days the wedding anniversary of the princes is celebrated. How remember you that day?

Pert-I keep an immense memory of Doña Letizia. She's fantastic, I like how she's in all the senses. Ever since I saw in the hand requested one, I already paid attention to how it was physically and I thought how it would dress she for her wedding. And soon I dressed she!

Q-Do you like how dresses, the style that she has?

Pert-She can to me. If she goes better or worse dressed, I want she immensely. By the character that she has, she's that, she's magnificent, magnificent, intimate much when you dress a woman, much. The woman always wants that you put as a queen of handsome. And she was another woman. And the step that she has taken, is very strong. And it was a great commitment for me.

[...]

The meaning of the article is roughly good but....it's a google tradaction with a lot of grammar faults and words 's approximation. Dosen't matter because, I think that every body can understand your very kind effort:flowers: :flowers: More, everybody can check the meaning with the spanish text. Thanks again:flowers: :flowers:

I think as you that it's very great for Manuel Pertegaz who is yet a fantastic designer and who had met a lot of fantastic, beautiful and celeb woman to say so kind words about the Princess of Asturias.:wub: :wub:

Last edited:
First I have to stress that I like F & L a lot as they are Royals in the true sense: hardworking, enthusiastic and with a strong will to do best for their country. Not all Royals have this attitude these days so hat off.
They seem to have a great relationship (personal and professional) and formed a nice family. I do not think that there is anything fake in their appearance, they seem to be truly committed to their life as CPs of Spain. Good for them because the Spanish people might not let them get away with a less professional attitude!
Unfortunately L married into one of the most strict european monarchies, at the same time being one of the most unstables. They are expected to work that hard to avoid a kick from the public, being under scrutiny and facing criticism all the time. Not an easy task! Although I think they are doing quite well under these circumstances, the pressure certainly takes its toll in terms of spontaneity or being different, important if you want to win people's hearts. When L married F I thought she was really special and could make a difference. She has certainly not disappointed everybody who expected a hardworking, committed CP but people who expected she might stand for a change / fresh air within the SRF. Instead of keeing her fresh personality she adapted (had to adapt?) to the appearance the Royal House wanted her to have. When I see her speak / interact before or in the first year after marriage she seemed to be much more spontaneous, energetic and self assured and I thought she was one of the best dressers within the Royal Circle. Unfortunately I don't see this anymore. She seems to vanish behind her husband, if she says something at all she looks up to F as if to reassure if she said the right things (my impression during the presetation of Infanta Sofia). Her dresses have changed from fantastic to rather boring, I was very disappointed with her pregnancy fashion, don't get me wrong it's not about wearing expensive designer clothes but to me she lost that sense of adding something special to make a good outfit a special outfit. The last dresses she wore were quite old fashioned with patterns my grandma could have worn. Same with her hair - she has such wonderful hair and used to have amazing looks but in recent months it has just been hanging down. Imagewise, she has gone from a self assured, independent woman to a devoted wife and mother, assisting and looking up to her husband. I am not judging here if it's right or wrong. Maybe that is the way she wants to be seen or the SRF wants people to see her but I find it sad. The fact that she hardly does any solo duties just suits the way she presents herself / she is being presented.
IMO she is a big missed chance - she could have been a huge asset for SRF - good looking, intelligent, committed and hardworking with a special personality.
Unfortunately for whatever reasons - and I am not blaming anyone for it - it has been decided not to make use of it - what a pity as she could have added some "sparkle" to the monarchy and her husband, the future king.
There are some good examples in modern monarchies where exactly this worked out and made them even more polular - IMO there is nothing wrong with allowing the female CPs to take a little bit of the spotlight, especially if the basis is intelligence, hard work and good looks : - )

Letizia is very capable of performing her princess duties on her own. She's educated, intelligent, independent, hardworking, speaks Spanish, and her being a former journalist and newsreader could've been a good advantage for her in terms of talking to people or making speeches etc. I remember one of the criticisms about her during her engagement days was that she came out too strong or overconfident (ie. interrupting Felipe). Judging from the amount of workload she used to have as a journalist and from stories of how workaholic she was I wonder now how she feels being told what and what not to do and not being given an agenda like the other crown princesses. Zarzuela is ran by grey old military men, I wonder why they're keeping her from doing solo duties and showing the Spaniards that she could be an asset to the SRF. She can very well do what other CPss do: take on patronages dear to them, read speeches written for them, show up at functions or events, smile, wave, shake hands, take pictures. I don't believe that she doesn't wanna do or isn't ready to do any of those yet. The Casa Real has always been very intriguing and mysterious to me from the controversial royal budget to the shenanigans of King Juan Carlos to the real status of marriage of JC and Sofia to the role of Letizia in the monarchy and who knows what else. Oh I would love to be a fly in Zarzuela:).

Duke of Marmalade said:
First I have to stress that I like F & L a lot as they are Royals in the true sense: hardworking, enthusiastic and with a strong will to do best for their country. Not all Royals have this attitude these days so hat off.
They seem to have a great relationship (personal and professional) and formed a nice family. I do not think that there is anything fake in their appearance, they seem to be truly committed to their life as CPs of Spain. Good for them because the Spanish people might not let them get away with a less professional attitude!
Unfortunately L married into one of the most strict european monarchies, at the same time being one of the most unstables. They are expected to work that hard to avoid a kick from the public, being under scrutiny and facing criticism all the time. Not an easy task! Although I think they are doing quite well under these circumstances, the pressure certainly takes its toll in terms of spontaneity or being different, important if you want to win people's hearts. When L married F I thought she was really special and could make a difference. She has certainly not disappointed everybody who expected a hardworking, committed CP but people who expected she might stand for a change / fresh air within the SRF. Instead of keeing her fresh personality she adapted (had to adapt?) to the appearance the Royal House wanted her to have. When I see her speak / interact before or in the first year after marriage she seemed to be much more spontaneous, energetic and self assured and I thought she was one of the best dressers within the Royal Circle. Unfortunately I don't see this anymore. She seems to vanish behind her husband, if she says something at all she looks up to F as if to reassure if she said the right things (my impression during the presetation of Infanta Sofia). Her dresses have changed from fantastic to rather boring, I was very disappointed with her pregnancy fashion, don't get me wrong it's not about wearing expensive designer clothes but to me she lost that sense of adding something special to make a good outfit a special outfit. The last dresses she wore were quite old fashioned with patterns my grandma could have worn. Same with her hair - she has such wonderful hair and used to have amazing looks but in recent months it has just been hanging down. Imagewise, she has gone from a self assured, independent woman to a devoted wife and mother, assisting and looking up to her husband. I am not judging here if it's right or wrong. Maybe that is the way she wants to be seen or the SRF wants people to see her but I find it sad. The fact that she hardly does any solo duties just suits the way she presents herself / she is being presented.
There are some good examples in modern monarchies where exactly this worked out and made them even more polular - IMO there is nothing wrong with allowing the female CPs to take a little bit of the spotlight, especially if the basis is intelligence, hard work and good looks : - )
This is how I feel exactly.

Little_star said:
I'm assuming you don't follow this couple too closely as their agenda is often spent out of the palace. Uusually they undertake most of their duties outside the palace.
You are not assuming correct!Lately their events were almoust all inside Zarzuela! Letizia's pregnancy is not an excuse for that because when she saw she could't handle it anymore she went home to rest and didn't attend any official engagements!!

Why is that even relevant? Surely the content of her meetings is what counts?

So Royals need to pander to the whim of the media?

To me is relevant because that is a way to see in loco how things are really done, and wicht are the problems (if they are any) to be solved! And sometimes public in general also wants to have contact with the prince and the Princess!
No they don't need to pander to the media, I haven't said that, please read carrefuly what I wrote!

Very, very interesting and complete analysis Duke of Marmelade - funny name, I like it- but I don't agre totally for at least two reasons.
If the terms of your analysis is quite correct we have to reinterrprate all with the time notion. It's not in just three years that you can rise up totally the personality of a woman totally foreigner to a special circle with some very peculiar behaviour in a situation where a young and dynamic couple have to stay very behind the Kings meanwhile in the same time they are obliged to construct their own identity. When you say it's too bad that Letizia had lost her very spontaneous behaviour, the critics are yet recording the famous sentence founded sacrilegious. When you notice that beside her husband Letizia could be fantastic, you forget that for moment she is not beside or behind, she is doing a very difficult role for a suractive woman, these of difficult pregnancies in a short time, one of her major attribution: reinsure the perenity of the Borbon's princely family, by the way the inheritance of the crown. For the Princess of Asturias obviously it's not a easy moment and I'm quite sure that she is using the time of her pregnacy to go troughly into the true figure of Princess of Asturias who is no more her as a journalisr but who not yet these of the Queen of Spain.

The other point that you mention is your litle bite despointing about the Princess of Asturias how to dress. If for the day events she had choosen very sober dresses and at the end very darker outfit - you know why- you don't put away her gala outfit for the diner with the President of the Mexico, neither you can forget hes spetacular hairdo. She was so estupendous that all the shots were for her. It's very dangerous to catch the attention when you aren't the main personality of an event. Here it's a true problem for the Princess of Asturias because her beauty, her sparkling attitud can be the main personalities in the shade.

As the Princess of Asturias is a very clever woman I'm sure that she go throughly into this maternal period as an introspection time to mature and reinforce her couple, her family, her knowledges as a Crown Princess. What 's the matter if to morrow morning her function don't has taken yet a more modern attitud, she has all the time to do that with diplomacy, thing that yet her detractors say that she is lacking a lot.

It's a longway to.....:whistling: :flowers:

Last edited:
Hi Adelaide

I understand why things are a bit different in Spain and whoever is responsible for the decision to present the Royal House and its members the way it is done will have good reasons for this decision.
So the circumstances are a fact – I am not in the position to change it so what I did is point out why I think it’s not good or helpful.

They make especially Letizia’s life very difficult because she seems to have to work on / change her personality to fit in. I am sure she’s committed to do so because her job description is not flexible in this point but it must cause a lot of pressure for her.
Plus some other issues she has to deal with such as giving birth to a (if possible male) heir or the death of her sister, and all this under the permanent scrutiny of the public.
I never thought that her thinness was a result of eating disorders but of this pressure that might stick with her for many years.

I think it’s a waste that she’s not allowed to show her true potential. I don’t think there is anybody in this board who doubts that L could do the full range of a CP’s duties, as already shown by her peers. She’s CP for 3 years now and even her sisters in law do a lot of solo duties – IMO the longer she’s kept from it, the more difficult it will get for her to step out of the shade because all people know from her is being a consort who does not more (in the view of the public) than standing behind her husband. It might not be true but this is how it comes across.

But please allow me to ask the hypothetical question: What is wrong with being in the spotlight? I know comparisons are unfair but if we look at other monarchies, see what Maxima achieved in the Netherlands (as a foreigner!) or, many years ago, Silvia achieved in Sweden – it helped not only the monarchies to survive (in Sweden’s case) but made them much more popular, that’s for sure. Just imagine Carl Gustaf without Silvia!
If the Royal House does not consider this an option they will know why, but IMO that’s not a role model for the 21st century, especially not if the monarchy itself is being questioned.

In terms of her pregnancy fashion I found it very good for the occasion, but boring. She’s 34 years old and dresses like mid-fourties. A dress with an old fashioned pattern, a coat. That’s it for most of the events she did during her pregnancy.
There were times when I thought we should start a collection when she even started to repeat these outfits. No comparison to the smart outfits she wore during her pregnancy with Leonor! But to me it goes in line with the wife/mother/consort image she has picked up some time ago – and that even showed in the event you have mentioned, the dinner for the Mexican president. I liked this dress – thought it was too short for the occasion though – but it made her look a bit cutie girlie clutching on her husband and not like a self assured CP who knows her position.

I do hope it changes and I am hopeful for the summer!
J

I agree 100% on your words!!!
Letizia was a very good Jornalist before she got married with Filipe, she has potential and capability of doing also solo events that will not only ennoble the Spanish Royal house but the couple itself!! We are in the 21st century were women are more and more on the move and with a stronger voice! Also Letizia doesn't have an activity role during the join events, only Filipe has a dynamic role in the events, letizia ussualy stands there and wait for things to happen around her, shake hands and smile. To me the CP role should be mucht more than this!
Regarding her outfits I think Princess Letizia dress according to the occasion, a little bit dark and boring to me and not very modern at all sometimes, which give her a very old look sometimes! But if you could see again Mallorca photos we could see a very young and beautiful Letizia, dressing very summer and with light colours. We will wait for the summer then!!!

Last edited:
Don't forget that Letizia gave birth to 2 girls in less then 4 years - pregnancies might be slightly uncomfortable time to start a full diary of her own.

While I do think that the Prince and Princess of Asturias make a very good team and I'm glad to see the two of them during the official acts, I also agree that it will be good if Letizia will have more engagements of her own.

Somwhoe, I think she will have much fuller diary after the summer holidays and after Sofia doesn't need her constant attention (like all new-born babies do), :)

For the princess first is her paper of mother, after consorte and finally her activities in solitaire. All the princess does not have because to be equal; thus it is not possible to be hoped that Letizia behaves like the others.

After all the critics that she has received and receives; how they can request to her more? She only has been three years of princess; with two daughters; with the tragedy that has lived recently; soon it says something and already she is criticized; because she would not have to say it, because she does not respect the protocol; soon when she goes with the prince, she is a shade that does not do anything; she does not seem princess; they hope that one behaves independent like before; as if she continued being the journalist, etc.

So I think, would have to give time her so that she has his own activities. That the other princess has activities in solitaire; then by them; but it does not mean that Letizia has to have already.

The princess already has had activities in solitaire; few? then yes. But she has had to arrange with the agenda with the prince; her pregnancies, soon the time later…; and all this in only 3 years.

So I believe that better is to value his work throughout the years; not now. For my she has made very well his role of princess; that some waited for more? it can, but she is not perfect nor is another princess; she is princess Letizia and they would have to assume it and already not to request that she is like other princess.

Excuse if they have not understood well my words; I hope that it is possible to be understood to me. If there are people who think that I am being crude; then I feel it but this is what I think and I am not going to change. :)

biboquinhas said:
To me is relevant because that is a way to see in loco how things are really done, and wicht are the problems (if they are any) to be solved! And sometimes public in general also wants to have contact with the prince and the Princess!
How many "problems" do any Royals "solve" on their visits. Most simply attend, (especially the ladies) collect their flowers, sit, listen, perhaps contribute a small speech and maybe speak to the others attending.

Why are Felipe and Letizia suddenly expected to solve problems when nobody else does?

biboquinhas said:
No they don't need to pander to the media, I haven't said that, please read carrefuly what I wrote!
That is how your post read to me. Leonor isn't a show-dog who should be brought out and photographed to please people.

Little_star said:
How many "problems" do any Royals "solve" on their visits. Most simply attend, (especially the ladies) collect their flowers, sit, listen, perhaps contribute a small speech and maybe speak to the others attending.

Why are Felipe and Letizia suddenly expected to solve problems when nobody else does?

That is how your post read to me. Leonor isn't a show-dog who should be brought out and photographed to please people.

I think those engagements are (often) not only to collect flowers, smiles and shake hands!Are they??:eek: :eek: They shouldn't be that way!! Most of the public engagements should have a justification on behalf of the nation. They should be planning beforehand and problems should be exposed in order to try to find a solution for them!Otherwise why make these engagements? Publicity only:ermm:?
Of course Leonor isn't a show dog, I haven't said that please read my post carefully:bang: (that is why I fell that posting in this forum is always so disappointing)

biboquinhas said:
Of course Leonor isn't a show dog, I haven't said that please read my post carefully:bang: (that is why I fell that posting in this forum is always so disappointing)

But it was implied;) .

biboquinhas said:
I think those engagements are (often) not only to collect flowers, smiles and shake hands!Are they??:eek: :eek: They shouldn't be that way!! Most of the public engagements should have a justification on behalf of the nation. They should be planning beforehand and problems should be exposed in order to try to find a solution for them!Otherwise why make these engagements? Publicity only:ermm:?
Often when you look at photos of Royal events, it seems to be reduced to alot of hand-shaking, posing for photographs, collecting flowers and perhaps giving a speech. I'm not saying that is all there is to it, but that is what we see, which is why I asked why you think Felipe and Letizia should solve problems with patronages/societies, when it appears that other Royals do not.

biboquinhas said:
I never said you did say that. However your original post seemed to be quite demanding in tone and I was merely pointing out that Leonor is a child. She shouldn't be forced in front of the cameras just to suit people. She has her whole life ahead of her for that.

well I said that is quite normal for people to ask where is Leonor or to ask if Letizia is doing well!! I think this Royal couple are a bit too private, of course it is quite normal that they want to keep their private life has mucht private has possible but it is also quite normal that everyone wants to see Leonor not only in official acts!! They only show one photo in Christmas, in her birthady and I think people were asking for more, I think that isn't a bad thing and I think that showing a few more photos of leonor for her birthday would have been positive for their image has a Royal family! Of course she is not a show-dog and that was not implied in my words!

biboquinhas said:
well I said that is quite normal for people to ask where is Leonor or to ask if Letizia is doing well!! I think this Royal couple are a bit too private, of course it is quite normal that they want to keep their private life has mucht private has possible but it is also quite normal that everyone wants to see Leonor not only in official acts!!
Leonor has been seen plenty of times in unofficial acts, holidays being the most obvious example but also the birthday of one of Infanta Cristina's little boys, her trip to the park and the dozens of lovely photos of Sofia's presentation.

biboquinhas said:
They only show one photo in Christmas, in her birthady and I think people were asking for more, I think that isn't a bad thing and I think that showing a few more photos of leonor for her birthday would have been positive for their image has a Royal family!
I don't see why showing images of their children makes them a better royal family. There are some Royal families where the Royal children are never shown or rarely shown. That doesn't degrade the family's value in any way. I'd rather only a handful of photos of her first birthday than dozens and dozens. Children should be allowed to be children and relax and play, not have to sit for long photo sessions just to satisfy the public.

Little_star said:
Leonor has been seen plenty of times in unofficial acts, holidays being the most obvious example but also the birthday of one of Infanta Cristina's little boys, her trip to the park and the dozens of lovely photos of Sofia's presentation.
Yeah, lately we've seen Leonor a lot, but please, before the visit to the cinema with grandma, we hadn't seen Leonor, "live", for over 6 months, only the three birthday pics and the christmas cards, which are compeltely staged photo, and not a "live" appeareance.

She's a baby at the end of the day. I really don't understand why some people "need" to see Leonor or any other Royal baby. It's always nice when new photos are released but that should be upto the parents, they shouldn't be pressured into it to please people.

Little_star said:
She's a baby at the end of the day. I really don't understand why some people "need" to see Leonor or any other Royal baby. It's always nice when new photos are released but that should be upto the parents, they shouldn't be pressured into it to please people.
Yeah, you do have a point with that .

MissSaga said:
Yeah, lately we've seen Leonor a lot, but please, before the visit to the cinema with grandma, we hadn't seen Leonor, "live", for over 6 months, only the three birthday pics and the christmas cards, which are compeltely staged photo, and not a "live" appeareance.

We haven't but she's been out without being followed by paparrazi that's why we haven't seen a lot of candid photos of her. It's been written in the papers though of her sightings (if you follow this family), just too bad that there were no photos. I don't blame her parents if they want to protect her privacy for now. Felipe should very well know that Leonor and Sofia have the rest of their lives to be in the limelight and to be the subjects of the pink press, which will definitely start when Leonor begins school in a year or two. On the other hand, the Belgian couple rarely show their kids too. So far we've seen them skiing on vacation and they release "official birthday photos" set in a park. Other than that you don't see them out and about. I hope Casa Real would also have that thing that the Dutch Royal House has to protect their young royals from the press. I think that's a good idea.

Little_star said:

Guess for many Royals it's part of their PR and kind of give and take, depending on their relationship with the press. There should be a balance though, especially with small children like Leonor. Showing up with her in the theme park could have been arranged becaused they missed the Easter mass where the family was expected to appear.

When Leonor was small it was ok to keep her away and it was easier. The older she gets, the more occasions come up where we can see her eg pre school and so on. So plenty of pics to come.

Little_star said:

I guess royals are only good for things like the ones you describe above. Then maybe royalty is obsolete at this point! Why pay tax money to people who are only going to collect flowers, sit and listen. Maybe you are not giving them the proper credit. I hope!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes..Roxteve, I think I agree with you...:D I'm one of these who believes that the way Royals are acting nowadays don't help in anything their nations, nor the ones they pay official visit to. People is paying taxes to these people lives on it, and I don't think this is fair at all.

I'm a Royalist, but I guess that Royalty must be more involved in serious thinks. They merely goes, cut a ruban, does a little speech about AIDS or Sports, then they wave a little , and then the returns to their homes to live luxuriously on their people's money ...And some of them even gets angry if these same people who paids their taxes to them to live this way, for they are "violating their private life"...Oh, go on! :bang:

Much before that Roxteve leave the message above, I warned some people who doesn't wants to speaks politics here, that this very discussion should pop out a day or another. And it poped out. I think that Monarchy is in danger of disparution if they keep living the way they are...

And Roxeteve...I do not think that Royals are obsolete for acting the way they are...it's quite the opposite: this is the role that modern civilization gave to Monarchies (who are no more owner of its destiny). Like children in Victorian era, Monarchies nowadays are espected to be "seen but not heard" :D

Vanesa.

I'm totally fascinating by people who aere going on to think that in the european countries where the royalty exist, it's only a cutten ribbon's firms which is expansive for the cityzen..
When you see the result of the sounding poll about the most important man/woman in Spain since about 500 years in which the winner is the King Juan Carlos, the fourth one is the Queen Sofia, the seventh one is the prince Felipe before all the politics, we have to think if finally the spagnards are only ribbon cutters people and have choose the best of them:D :D

Just a word for the cost about the monarquia, we know that in Spain the constitutionnal monarquia is about less 0, 30€ for year by Spagnard; how is the cost, for instance, of republican president who is going on from the elections to each four of five years? Nobody is able to say it because the answer is precisely it's an elected man! But for the cost for the country how much ??? If you have a idea, please tell us!

Last edited:
adelaide said:
I'm totally fascinating by people who aere going on o think that in the european countries where the royalty exist, it's only a cutten ribbon's firms which is expansive for the cityzen..
When you see the result of the sounding poll about the most important man/woman in Spain since about 500 years in which the winner is the King Juan Carlos, the fourth one is the Queen Sofia, the seventh one is the prince Felipe before all the politics, we have to think if finally the spagnards are only ribbon cutters people and have choose the best of them:D :D

Just a word for the cost about the monarquia, we know that in Spain the constitutionnal monarquia is about less 0, 30€ for year by Spagnard; how is the cost, for instance, of republican president who is going on from the elections to each four of five years? Nobody is able to say it because the answer is precisely it's an elected man! But for the cost for the country how much ??? If you have a idea, please tell us!

I am sure that monarchs who have been there for a long time and gone through a lot of problems with the country such as JC or, best example of all, QE II, cannot be valued high enough in terms of their work. IMO they do a lot behind the scenes, acting as arbitrators or giving advice. They might not have the power to actually take decisions but I am sure their advice is highly respected by the governments and appreciated by the public. Guess Gordon Brown will be intimidated when he'll meet the Queen first time as PM and she'll tell him that he's the 11th person she welcomes in this job : - ) So for me it's no surprise JC and Queen Sofia did so well in this survey. However, the younger generation does lack opportunities to prove themselves, best example is Prince Charles who has now been waiting for many years and might be waiting for many more years before he can actually prove himself. For that reason many of the younger couples end up with cutting ribbon jobs because their parents deal with the important issues. The CPs might listen and learn behind the scenes but for the public it comes across as they do mostly the smile-and-take-the- flowers job. Of course the Royal Houses are trying to find more interesting or important events, especially for the male heirs like Felipe or Charles, which makes it even more difficult for their wifes / consorts not to end up cutting ribbons all the time.

Roxsteve said:
I guess royals are only good for things like the ones you describe above. Then maybe royalty is obsolete at this point! Why pay tax money to people who are only going to collect flowers, sit and listen. Maybe you are not giving them the proper credit. I hope!
To a certain degree I think some European Royals do little else, that's not to say all are the same. For example there are many countries especially in the ME where the Royals are the absolute leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom