Your Opinions About Felipe and Letizia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, remember it's Current Events thread.

I don't think we need to get personal. Everyone has the right of opinion, please respect it.

Last edited:
Alisa said:
I dislike your reply.;) Is Letizia having drinks and socializing with her girlfriends when she is not attending one of her husband's solo engagements?:rolleyes: Surely Felipe can let Letizia attend an event on her own for which she is patron and keep himself busy either with his daughter or with behind the scenes preparation of one of his solo engagements.

I was half joking. Nevertheless, your answer is fine with me. You can have Felipe's 'can-do' list when his wife goes to an event, so can I ;).
So far Letizia only skipped the short meetings at Zarzuela, military exercises (she is irrelevant here) and a few presidential inaugurations in Latin America. I'd like to see her going for drinks with her girlfriends when her hubby is away on duty :).

Last edited:
lucys said:
I haven't been around in a couple of weeks—thanks for all the photos. I particularly liked the ones from the wedding they attended. Here are a couple more from Zuma Press in Barcelona.

http://www.zpicturegroup.com/search_results.html?HEADLINE=Spanish+Royals+in+Barcelona

It's funny that the discussion never seems to change around here. I think some posters need to simple accept that Letizia will never be a clothing horse (if you want to follow a royal who is, there are plenty of other royals to watch) and, more substantially, that the Spanish Royal House has made a very clear decision that Felipe and Letizia will have the same agenda for the foreseeable future. They have clearly rejected the "princess as celebrity" style of other houses and have embraced instead a "team" (Felipe's own description of them) approach. If it bothers you or annoys you or bores you, don’t follow them—because it's not going to change. Among other reasons, because the "team" approach works for this royal house; there is absolutely no advantage gained by the crown by giving them separate agendas at this point in time. Together–-as a couple--they have an undeniable charisma. They are ingrained now in the public mind as a team, as a single unit with a common purpose. That, in conjunction with the dignity and elegance of their manner, and their warmth and "simpatia"—makes for a very powerful public image—a public image which favors first and foremost the Crown as an institution of State. The individuals are not elevated, but the unit and the common purpose—which is of course the interests of Spain.

I know many of you disagree, but that's how I see it. And for this particular Royal House in this particular country, it has proven to be a beneficial and successful approach.

As I said, if you don’t like to see them share an agenda—because it annoys you or offends you or bores you--don’t waste your time watching them because it's not going to change anytime soon. I know I certainly have stopped following other royals because they bored me or I grew to dislike them. I for one will continue to watch Felipe and Letizia and continue to be interested in them, in part, because they have chosen a course and a style so different from and so in contrast to the celebrity-bravado of so many of today's public figures.

You expressed my exact thoughts - I like the fact that Felipe and Letizia are a team.

IMO the "team thing" is a justification to the fact that Letizia doesn't have solo acts. Infanta Cristina has solo acts as well as Infanta Elena, Don Juan Carlos and Da. Sofia has and have always had solo acts, the Royal House was/is not affraid or against to solo acts (in fact they can do more when they split out and divide forces) but when it comes only on Letizia and Felipe's case here they come again the justifications.

IMO they should do some things as a couple and other in solitary, is Letizia less than the rest of the princess? Intellectually I don't thing so and therefore I would like to see her doing something by herself, hear her voice, taking patronages or working as Maxima with the microcredits, Mette Marit with the AIDS or Mary with the Science and Medicine causes.

Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin dont have solo acts. The same happens with Letizia. These three people are known because they are husbands/wife of members of the Royal Family, nothing more.

fanletizia said:
Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin dont have solo acts. The same happens with Letizia. These three people are known because they are husbands/wife of members of the Royal Family, nothing more.

It is true, but also it is true that Letizia is Princess of Asturias, and occupies a status recognized in a Royal Decree, place that neither Jaime nor Iñaki occupy. Therefore the cincunstancias are not the same. Letizia must look like the Queen, not Jaime and Iñaki...Because of it before so later the circumstances must change, because as soon as the first years pass sense will not make.;)

Last edited:
We can accepted with any doubt the competence and the role of Maxima in the Micro credit field, it's a metter of bank work in which the Princess of Orange had high responsabilties before her wedding.
We can recognized the deep engagement of Mett Marit in the fight against AIDS, mondial scourge.
But what are exactly activities so important of thePrincess of Denmark for Science and Medical cause (s )?

Micro Credit and AIDS are two fields very important in the World problems of today, and for two Crown Princess to lead some activities for that is an altruitistic attitude in foreign affairs, but not for their respective countries.

In my opinion, but it's not necessary the good one, the Spanish Crown Princes have to work fisrt of ALL to know all the difficulties inside their frontiers ( except the Felipe's preserve of his role in America Latina and for the Cervantes institut )

For that the concept of the team working to know their country and to be known as the futur souvereigns is totaly relevant because contrary at the others Crown Princes they have to work together for the conquest of their throne.

Letizia will to have a lot of time to have alone a charity activity or a cultural one and I'm sure that it's planed

Last edited:
fanletizia said:
About Jaime, i don't know but Iñaki already had some solo acts. :)

...JuAnItA... said:
About Jaime, i don't know but Iñaki already had some solo acts. :)

Do not get confused. Neither Jaime nor Iñaki have official acts. They have acts of the companies or of the organizations at which they are employed, but they come as private persons not as members of the Royal Family. Neither Jaime nor Iñaki have official independent activity.;)

But surely because Letizia is Spain's future Queen (consort I know but still), she needs to have her own agenda?? I think it's a real shame that she doesn't. Sorry if this has been asked before, but how long after Juan Carlos became King did Sofia have her own acts?

...sOfIa.... said:
But surely because Letizia is Spain's future Queen (consort I know but still), she needs to have her own agenda?? I think it's a real shame that she doesn't. Sorry if this has been asked before, but how long after Juan Carlos became King did Sofia have her own acts?

I believe that it is difficult to know, also it was another epoch and other very different circumstances. The circumstances cannot be compared of then with the current ones. ;)

chuchu said:
I like the fact that Felipe and Letizia are a team.

I don't think that Felipe and Letizia would be thought of any less as a team if she did a solo act now and then. When Sofia does an act alone I don't think the team of Juan Carlos and Sofia are broken or divided. Nobody is advocating that she does only solo acts from this point on and never appears at acts with Felipe.

I think that even though the Spanish people knew Letizia before her marriage in her capacity as a journalist they also get to know her as she is now in her capacity as the Princess of Asturias and as the mother of the future queen of Spain. Leonor will be brought up by both Felipe and Letizia and the kind of person Leonor will grow up to be will be dependent on both of her parents. How she handles her public duties might very well be reflected in how Letizia handles herself in the future.

It is already evident in small ways how Amalia will be like in her future role: We see how exuberant (and even over the top sometimes) Maxima is, how she waves with so much energy and always has a smile from ear to ear. In the few press conferences we have seen, it is clear that Amalia will be similar to her mom partly because of her own personality but also because her mom is standing next to her telling her to wave to people.

There is no doubt in my mind that Letizia is capable of handling responsibilities on her own and that she is ready for it at this point in time. Unlike Alexandra, Mary or Maxima, she did not have the disadvantage of not speaking the native language. And certainly if these three women could learn a new language in their adulthood and go out to make speeches and greet and talk with members of Danish and Dutch associations, Letizia can do the same in her native of Spain.

It makes me really wonder what reasons the Spanish court has for holding Letizia back and not allowing her to have her own agenda, whether it is one that they determine for her or one that she helps to determine to incoporate her own interests and areas of expertise.

Do they think she won't do well? If so, then more than two years later of attending engagements with Felipe haven't been helpful to Letizia and the court needs to better prepare her.

Do they think that the media will stop following Felipe and just follow Letizia around? From comments that Letizia has made ("He is the star.") I don't think this will happen. Letizia is conscientious of her role and knows clearly that Felipe will be king one day and that she is the consort. There is no Charles/Diana complex here. And frankly, if Felipe is that worried that his wife will take the spotlight away from him he has greater problems in his future -- his insecurity and inferiority complex.

Do they think that the Spanish people are still having trouble with her past? Yes she's divorced and so are her parents, but really, it has been nearly three years since Letizia has been known as the Prince's fiancee and now his wife and she is the mother of the future queen. I don't see her divorce as being such a big deal now.

The conservativeness of the Spanish court baffles me nearly as much as the IHA in Japan does. If Letizia can't even do solo engagements within Spain, when can we expect her to ever do solo engagements abroad? In 10 years?

To me, of all the current crown princesses, Mette-Marit was the most questionable (as much as I love her). She had a much shadier past than Letizia, she wasn't a university graduate and her career achievement at the time of meeting Haakon was that she was a waitress. She was no where nearly as successful professionally as Letizia was nor was she as experienced in meeting and conversing with politicians or other important individuls. Yet the Norwegian court felt comfortable enough to send Mette-Marit on her own to the U.S. as well as perform many solo engagements within Norway.

As for a social cause about why Letizia may not be as accepted without Felipe, I think Camilla was in a far worst place. She was the pitbull to Diana's angelic presence. She was the woman who made Diana unhappy, who carried on an affair with Diana's husband months after they were married. Even with her divorce, how could Letizia be less reviled than Camilla?

I think Letizia has a lot to offer and can be an even greater Princess of Asturias if only she were permitted. It makes you wonder who is preventing her from being allowed to shine?

Yes lula, I understand that the circumstances were different, but it would be nice if Letizia could have her own things to do.
As much as I admire her for accompanying Felipe to events- which she seems to enjoy doing and does well, I think she would benefit from being not being part of the 'team'. My opinion entirely of course. ;)

To add to my post, I agree with Alexandria in that Letizia has alot to offer. She is a very cultured woman with an interest in music and literature amongst other things. Hopefully she will soon be allowed to take part in acts relating to these sorts of things by herself.

Last edited:
lula said:
I believe that it is difficult to know, also it was another epoch and other very different circumstances. The circumstances cannot be compared of then with the current ones. ;)
Why is it difficult to find out when Sofia started carrying out her own engagements?

We speak a lot here about not comparing one royal house to another because each royal house does things differently, but now we can't even compare how things go on within a royal house? :wacko: Juan Carlos, like Felipe now, was the heir to the Spanish throne as determined by Franco, and Sofia, despite her royal bith, was his consort, just as Letizia is to Felipe. What is the difference in the two couples that makes comparisons not permissible?

Sofia may have been a princess by birth but her circumstances at her entry into the Spanish royal family are just as precarious considering that there was not a king in place, but a dictator. The ability of Juan Carlos to rule and what kind of leader he would be were questionable.

Did Sofia always only accompany Juan Carlos in those days or did she ever get to strike out on her own now and then, too? And how long did it take before she did? (Frankly, if the royal-born and regal Sofia wasn't deemed fit to have her own engagements in the early years of her marriage, then the Spanish royal court has unrealistic expectations.)

I like Alexandria much your analysis, because I think the same thing.

I understand perfectly the reasons that the Royal House has in order that the Princes do their activities of joint form ... but I do not understand that these reasons have led that Letizia does not have any act, and so ridiculous situations how that the Prince does a speech in an act in which the Princess is a Chairwoman of Honor. Only it is necessary if the Prince goes on Tuesday put on the "peineta" and read the speech.:lol:

Always I have thought that there are very afraid that everything what is created around Letizia ends up by turning into a problem ... that everything what creates the press around her ends up by getting dark and frivolous the real work that the Princes realize. Unfortunately it is a reality, comes to the people with more facility the news and the frivolous gossips of the magazines and the undignified programs ... that the news in a serious newspaper that speaks about a political act or a charitable activity. The Princess of Asturias has turned into a business for some, and into a way of attacking the Royal Family for others. It turns out to be very ridiculous to read today yellow articles where they say that Letizia only wants protagonism and is the capricious one .... really paradoxical...:wacko: But the way of facing it, is not to conceal it after the Prince, but to give her her place in order that she closes mouths.

Alexandria said:
Why is it difficult to find out when Sofia started carrying out her own engagements?

We speak a lot here about not comparing one royal house to another because each royal house does things differently, but now we can't even compare how things go on within a royal house? :wacko: Juan Carlos, like Felipe now, was the heir to the Spanish throne as determined by Franco, and Sofia, despite her royal bith, was his consort, just as Letizia is to Felipe. What is the difference in the two couples that makes comparisons not permissible?

Sofia may have been a princess by birth but her circumstances at her entry into the Spanish royal family are just as precarious considering that there was not a king in place, but a dictator. The ability of Juan Carlos to rule and what kind of leader he would be were questionable.

Did Sofia always only accompany Juan Carlos in those days or did she ever get to strike out on her own now and then, too? And how long did it take before she did? (Frankly, if the royal-born and regal Sofia wasn't deemed fit to have her own engagements in the early years of her marriage, then the Spanish royal court has unrealistic expectations.)
Two things.

On the one hand it is difficult to go back to the newspaper library of the epoch, to know how it was the things.;)

On the other hand, the circumstances at the time were very different. When the Kings married Juan Carlos still was not an inheritor; they were never Princes of Asturias, but Princes of Spain, a title granted by Franco. It is not possible to compare the situation of the Princes of Asturias today, with those who had the Princes of Spain at that time. The uncertainty and the situation of then was doing that they were not a few conventional Inheritors. Franco had a woman who was the First Lady, a daughter and a few granddaughters. With Franco those who were exercising really this ladies' of the State role were his wife and his daughter. Sofía's role is valorable once turned into Queen, before it is something a bit vague.:wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
fanletizia said:

I'm sorry but there's no comparison, Jaime and Iñaki are the Infanta's husbands and they would always remains as it, Letizia is called to be Queen one day and is the mother of the heiress, they are the throne heirs and therefore the case is completely different.

lula said:
Do not get confused. Neither Jaime nor Iñaki have official acts. They have acts of the companies or of the organizations at which they are employed, but they come as private persons not as members of the Royal Family. Neither Jaime nor Iñaki have official independent activity.;)
Ok. I'm sorry. My mistake... :blush: ;)

adelaide said:
We can accepted with any doubt the competence and the role of Maxima in the Micro credit field, it's a metter of bank work in which the Princess of Orange had high responsabilties before her wedding.
We can recognized the deep engagement of Mett Marit in the fight against AIDS, mondial scourge.
But what are exactly activities so important of thePrincess of Denmark for Science and Medical cause (s )?
You'll have to ask that question to amongst others The Danish Association for Mental Health, Rare Disorders Denmark, the Danish Brain Injury Association, the Danish Heart Association, the Danish Mental Health Fund etc.:cool:

I'm also wondering why Casa Real doesn't give her solo acts or her own agenda. I mean how difficult is it really to do a crown princess job. Watching the other CPss it seems that they wave, shake hands, do photo ops, read speeches written for them, what else am I missing? She doesn't even have her own secretary. She must be very bored knowing how busy and hardworking she was with her former career.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate with myself...:cool:
what if what the RF is trying to accomplish is the concept of the "power couple"? to develop their image as a whole, always working together?:ermm:
I mean, I would like to see her working, doing something ALONE at least once, she's a person and I understand she's part of an institution and it's bound to be in Felipe's shadow but I think she feels weird seeing all CPss doing their own thing while she does nothing on her own...
But I also think that maybe the RF wants the spaniards to think and accept them as a whole, as a couple and maybe that's why she hasn't been given any solo acts; I still think it's weird and kinda unfair but maybe that's the way they want things to be....

Last edited:
Or this is King JC's revenge at Letizia for marrying Felipe (didn't he oppose this marriage in the beginning?). It's like saying, "You chose this life, welcome to hell." I can actually picture him sitting in his office reading the morning papers or watching the gossip shows with Letizia in them and laughing his ass off. :ohmy:

The mother of their sweet little granddaughter, I'm really quite takenaback that some would make such comments regarding the relationship the Princess of Asturias has with her in-laws. The may not share a real close connection but to say Juan Carlos is in his office laughing at the expense of Spain's future Queen is really not very constructive if at all relevant.

mean how difficult is it really to do a crown princess job.

Not directed at the member who made the statement but I have used this extract as it is one that I find to be floating around this forum on a very regular basis. It seems, to me, that quite a number of members on this forum are totally mistaken about what it means to be a Crown Princess or any public working royal for that matter.

Do you really think that waving, wearing jewels and fine gowns & having their photo's taken by intrusive journalists defines the relevance of their office?

Its just like saying the Queen of England sits on a throne all day doing nothing but wearing the State Crown which as we all know is totally untrue, and it is such notion's that have been formulated by those who are evidently mistaken and unresearched in their comments.

To me, it seems that many are missing the actual relevance of monarchy and that is really discouraging especially since so many claim to have a keen interest in the subject.

Last edited:
crisiñaki said:
I'm gonna play devil's advocate with myself...:cool:
what if what the RF is trying to accomplish is the concept of the "power couple"? to develop their image as a whole, always working together?:ermm:
I mean, I would like to see her working, doing something ALONE at least once, she's a person and I understand she's part of an institution and it's bound to be in Felipe's shadow but I think she feels weird seeing all CPss doing their own thing while she does nothing on her own...
But I also think that maybe the RF wants the spaniards to think and accept them as a whole, as a couple and maybe that's why she hasn't been given any solo acts; I still think it's weird and kinda unfair but maybe that's the way they want things to be....

After two years of doing official acts together, Felipe and Letizia are a power couple. I think a lot of people already see them that way. They work well together and obviously enjoy each other's company. However, since it's been a lovely two years since their marriage, it's time for Letizia to do some on her own. Let her choose the organizations she's truly dedicated to and make the speeches by herself without Felipe at her side. Letizia may get more attention in the beginning if she starts doing solo duties but Letizia knows she's only going to be a consort and I think the Spanish people know that too.

Another reason, I think they like to go to events together. By looking at their activities, lots of events were designated for them to go together, such as visits to different regions of Spain. Felipe has been working with the enterprise sector, promoting Spanish language and culture for very long time. Since the wedding, they also added some journalism events, literacy, wifes' charity events such as the visits to the centers of Down's Syndrome in Barcelona, Madrid and Mallorca. Letizia worked for Bloomberg financial network before, she is probably interested at the business meetings her husband attends, on the other hand, Felipe probably wants to go to some light social events, a good break from the serious meetings with top business men, scholars, lawyers and etc. They both have wide variety of interests, which enables them to share all those events together. Obviously it looks very good on Felipe, which is probably the only thing that matters to some grey men in Zarzuela.

Hi to everyone,

I have been trying to post something and I have had so many troubles that I almost forgot the reason of my posting.

It is true that Mette Marit had a shadier past than anyone of the princess, but she has proven that giving the opportunity she can make a wonderful job. And also it is true that Camilla and Carlos marriage was more complicate than the Princes of Asturias marriage, and even though, Camila has its own agenda. That makes very difficult to understand why Princess Letizia does not have her own agenda and her own acts.

Some people in Spain has talk about some kind of mistrust from the Royal Household towards Letizia, and it only fuels more speculation, as unlike Mette Marit, Letizia never gave any kind of explanations about her past life. That only gives more room for more speculation and makes people believe that it might be some reason that would make her not so up to the job when you compare her with other princesses.

It does not help the fact of the recent publication of a biography in Spain of a Spanish singer, in which he tells about a remark made supposedly by her in a dinner party, that was completely inappropriate.

I'm not sure whether will see her in the near future, having her own appearances without the presence of the Prince of Asturias:unsure:

olga7777 said:
Some people in Spain has talk about some kind of mistrust from the Royal Household towards Letizia, and it only fuels more speculation, as unlike Mette Marit, Letizia never gave any kind of explanations about her past life. That only gives more room for more speculation and makes people believe that it might be some reason that would make her not so up to the job when you compare her with other princesses.
What should she explain? She got married at legal age, it did not last, they got divorced, its even on the royal website. Its nothing to explain about that. Noone needs to know why it did not last, that is a private matter.
Is there anything in her past life that needs explaining or excusing? I think not. She had other boyfriends, Felipe had (several) other girlfriends, we have seen them all paraded around in the press more or less clothed and I dont think he has ever made any explaining about them, nor would we expect him to:wacko: .

olga7777 said:
Hi to everyone,

I have been trying to post something and I have had so many troubles that I almost forgot the reason of my posting.

It is true that Mette Marit had a shadier past than anyone of the princess, but she has proven that giving the opportunity she can make a wonderful job. And also it is true that Camilla and Carlos marriage was more complicate than the Princes of Asturias marriage, and even though, Camila has its own agenda. That makes very difficult to understand why Princess Letizia does not have her own agenda and her own acts.

It does not help the fact of the recent publication of a biography in Spain of a Spanish singer, in which he tells about a remark made supposedly by her in a dinner party, that was completely inappropriate.

I'm not sure whether will see her in the near future, having her own appearances without the presence of the Prince of Asturias:unsure:

That has to give explanations? Please, I do not believe that anybody has to ask for pardon for being a divorced person, that I know it it is not a crime.:wacko: Nobody has because to justify her life while she has not damaged to anybody or has not committed any crime. She was a private personage and did not have any responsibility, for what nobody has right to demanding nothing from her. Has Prince to ask for pardon or to give explanations for his past?:bang:

On the topic of Sabina's biography, it is a bilge, very manipulated by some, principally for own Sabina, a recognized republican, who saw his popularity harmed by a dinner with the Princes and who to the things that he writes (knowing the personage not if someone takes it really seriously) wants to apologize. The critiques only come on the part of persons ultraconservative and little opened of mind, who do not understand that the Princes must know persons of all type, even to those who think in a way opposite to they. The King embraces each other with Carrillo that was a communist leader, and nothing happens.
They do not use any as an element to criticize Letizia, and only to Letizia ... curiously nobody criticizes the Prince, they nor criticize that it was precisely Simoneta Gómez Acebo, the cousin of the Prince the one that was organizing the dinner.

At this dinner other Spanish singers were present, with the same republican thought, but that are persons very followed and respected by the public and with a professional path of many years. Persons who have not opened the mouth. Sabina is a "rabble" always he has been, and this dinner broke with his image, so the way of justifying himself is to write these things, be true or not ... but anyone that knows him would not take very seriously his words. Of what he says it is that smile, not to create a drama, because the only thing that wants is to provoke, that is his.

Last edited:
Laviollette said:
After Diana of Wales, I don't think we're going to see an aristocratic, royal, virginal or young bride for a long, long time.

The Belgian Princess Mathilde is aristocratic, being the daughter of Patrick Count d'Udekem d'Acoz and of Anna Countess d'Udekem d'Acoz née Countess Komorovska. And we may assume she was virginal and also a normal aged bride too.

Letizia don´t ask pardon for nothing. It´s incredible that the prince don´t ask about his past life and is who is prince by birth. Letizia is a woman who had normal and private life,isn´t important her divorce or her boyfriends,the prince had many girlfriends too. Is important her work as a princess and it´s magnific, the other life is private for her and the other people who lives with her.

nagore said:
Letizia don´t ask pardon for nothing. It´s incredible that the prince don´t ask about his past life and is who is prince by birth. Letizia is a woman who had normal and private life,isn´t important her divorce or her boyfriends,the prince had many girlfriends too. Is important her work as a princess and it´s magnific, the other life is private for her and the other people who lives with her.

Totaly RIGHT, the Inquisition is finished since a long time, you know!:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom