The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Courtier

The other crown princesses are no virgins either.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Courtier

I can't see where Letizia's previous marriage or her not being a virgin would disqualify her from serving her country, which she has done with excellence so far. I wish she'd gain a little more weight but she's a hard-working royal and has a loving and seemingly romantic relationship with her husband Felipe. After Diana of Wales, I don't think we're going to see an aristocratic, royal, virginal or young bride for a long, long time.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

A moratorium on Letizia's weight would be welcome. She looks and acts healthy, vigoruos, radiant and comfortable. She is and will most likely always be thin. Much healthier to be thin than fat.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
A moratorium on Letizia's weight would be welcome. She looks and acts healthy, vigoruos, radiant and comfortable. She is and will most likely always be thin. Much healthier to be thin than fat.
I agree with your statement except for the last part. It's not always much healthier to be thin than fat, it really depends on the person, family history etc. But getting off topic here! Letizia and Felipe love each other and work very hard for their country. As much as I would love to see Letizia do some solo official duties, that's not up to me. Hopefully in due time we will. So far she has done everything a future Queen is expected to do. Represent her country, support her husband, and produce an heir. What's to really complain about?
Old 04-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I agree with your statement except for the last part. It's not always much healthier to be thin than fat, it really depends on the person, family history etc. But getting off topic here! Letizia and Felipe love each other and work very hard for their country. As much as I would love to see Letizia do some solo official duties, that's not up to me. Hopefully in due time we will. So far she has done everything a future Queen is expected to do. Represent her country, support her husband, and produce an heir. What's to really complain about?
:)

Totaly agree with tha two last sentences because what she can do else
Old 05-01-2006, 03:52 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
So, do you think now that your parents should name your child? As far as I'm concerned, I (and my husband) will be the ones choosing the names of our children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad25
Secondly...If i had a baby me and my husband are the first people who are going to name our baby because it our child, my family can give their opinion on what to name our child but its down to both of us to name the child...
Wow, I didn't know we have Royals among the posters. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Should the King have said instead, "Well, they've chosen to name her Leonor. They seem to like the name. But my wife, the Queen and I hate the name."
I think what Stefanie meant was that it sounded more passive aggressive and that he instead could have said something along the lines of "It's a lovely name, don't you think. We like it very much." And not just later on "Yeah, it's historical, pretty, ..." Do you know what I try to say?

And I know it's somewhat off-topic, but considering some posters apparently don't know what they are talking about I guess I shouldn't let it pass this time and speak up: Thinness. Well, I'm one of those people who can eat and eat and eat and eat and still don't put any weight on, though the other way it is possible. And yes, I still look healthy. BUT, whenever I didn't take care during finals I lost weight. When I then came home to my parents or went to my grandma they would upon seeing me ask: "Are you okay? Everything alright? You look so thin!" And they were probably right that I did not look healthy thin, but ill. And so does Letizia. To say she was always thin may not be wrong, but to continue saying she looks like she always does is wrong. She doesn't. :( I speak from experience.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Griffin
I think what Stefanie meant was that it sounded more passive aggressive and that he instead could have said something along the lines of "It's a lovely name, don't you think. We like it very much." And not just later on "Yeah, it's historical, pretty, ..." Do you know what I try to say?
I know that the King has had many decades in front of the public eye and has spoken publicly informally and formally on many occasions. However, the moment outside of the hospital must've been an emotional one -- he had just seen his newest grandchild, a grandchild who may be the head of the monarchy one day, and I can see that he may not have been at his most eloquent or thought to phrase things in a way he might otherwise have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Griffin
And I know it's somewhat off-topic, but considering some posters apparently don't know what they are talking about I guess I shouldn't let it pass this time and speak up: Thinness. Well, I'm one of those people who can eat and eat and eat and eat and still don't put any weight on, though the other way it is possible. And yes, I still look healthy. BUT, whenever I didn't take care during finals I lost weight. When I then came home to my parents or went to my grandma they would upon seeing me ask: "Are you okay? Everything alright? You look so thin!" And they were probably right that I did not look healthy thin, but ill. And so does Letizia. To say she was always thin may not be wrong, but to continue saying she looks like she always does is wrong. She doesn't. :( I speak from experience.
I agree with you Ms Griffin. To me, constantly bringing up Letizia's weight without having seen her medical records, but based on pictures or ideas that the camera adds 10 pounds, so then Letizia must really be emancipated, is like beating a dead horse over and over again. Some people have naturally fast metabolisms, just as some people have naturally slow metabolisms. So that on the one hand no matter how much you eat, you just can't put on weight, and on the other hand, no matter how little you eat or how much you exercise, it is very hard or takes longer for the weight to come off.

I am sure that the Spanish royal court wouldn't put Letizia in jeopardy. If they (or the Princess' doctors) felt that her weight were an issue, they would pull her from her rigorous schedule, just as Crown Princess Masako was pulled from her schedule when her stress was diagnosed.

Let's not continue round and round about Letizia's thinness, especially since even if some of us are doctors, we aren't Letizia's doctors, and so none of us can accurately diagnose Letizia as being sick.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Aristocracy

Wow, I was actually under the impression that things said about Mary on some other forum were mean... I agree, Letizia is on the skinny-ish side, but I don't really think that it has anything to do with her abilities. She is very accomplished and very sophisticated, if yet quite a bit reserved. But she does seem to have a very good relationship with Queen Sofia, and with her husband. I think she might define her role a little better, take a little more active stand on things and show a little more colour, but I don't see any real problem in her.
And I just love the name Leonor - shows a good judgement of Letizia and Felipe to give their child one sensible name instead of 13 that all sound like out of an operetta... :) Or maybe that's just me.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria
I agree, Letizia is on the skinny-ish side, but I don't really think that it has anything to do with her abilities.
I agree lisamaria; I think some individuals who dislike Letizia (which is fine as far as I am concerned) are using her weight as a reason to dislike her or find fault with her, which is wrong. You can dislike Letizia as much as you want, but a better reason than how much she weights is warranted. If you think she doesn't do enough royal duties or her education isn't good enough, then those are perfectly good reasons. But to not like her because of her weight is like saying you don't like someone because they are too tall.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Courtier

Then this thread should be called "things you most admire about Letizia." She seems to be so perfect that there appears to be no comparison. If someone says she is thin, then 10 people say there is nothing wrong with being thin, or married, or divorced. It is okay to disagree. Not everyone likes her and the forum is open, IMO, to express your thougths...good and bad ones. Let's not be so judgmental!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Roxsteve, you are right on the principle, but we are going round in circles because it's allways the same fault that it's highlighting : her thinness ! it's becoming boring.
If you don't appreciate anybody, me be you can find some objective reasons to confort your opinion, but, as I'm telling since two or three posts it's totaly irrelevant to make a judgement on someone only on his physical appearences.

Yes we can going on this item, but and I agree on the fact that " Not everyone like her and the forum is open " and more it's not a referendum but since the begining of this thread I didn't find very interesting discussions because it's a question of feeling, you like them or not and for that you don't need any explanations. A french old writer said, speaking about the friend link beetwen him and a friend of him : " because it's was him, because it's was me " ( Montaigne for La Boetie ) This sentence is very good summary of all feeling attractions.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 AM
Courtier

Hi everyone, I would like to add my two cents to this thread:
People cant expect to create a good impression with everyone, that it is very difficult even for great leaders. There will always be people that like or dislikes one's opinions, looks or ideas. So needeless to say, it is not useful to invest time and energy to create a good opinion in everyone. I am sure if we were on her place there would be a similar debate, based on other things, like she is too fat (like Maxima), too wild (like Mette), too arrogant (like Mary), things that I consider nonsense in each case of the other princesses as well as Letizia's.

In Letizia's case, she is a very accomplished woman, who is trying to do her job as best as she can. I dont see a reason for her weight to be a problem for doing her job. So far she has done it in a good way and weight hasn't create a problem for her. In any case, her husband and family are the ones that know her best and everyone can be sure and safe that they will take good care of her if she has health problems.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

And thiness again! During the pregnancy she gained some weight and looked beautifully, now she lost it again. I think that it can be the matter of breastfeeding, which is the well-known reason of becomming slimer after giving birth. In my opinion she could feed Leo not only during first 3 months but also later even until now, of course not round-the-clock, but, let's say, 2 or 3 times a day. So IMO this is the reason of her figure which can be even slimmer than before pregnancy.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:43 AM
Courtier

There is no need for excusing Letizia's weight, she is not in fault for being thin. I personally dont think she is breastfeeding because she has very busy schedules and somtimes even travel without the girl. So I dont think it is really necessary that she keeps the pressure of extracting the milk (at regular times), even when she is away or busy at work. In any case, I dont think she needs an excuse for being thin. There are many people that are thin like her and does not receive that much attention as she does. I dont know why but there is always a health related rumor on the air, one time is letizia having an eating disorder, the other is Leonor that will have a surgery or has other problems. People that want to critize her, when do not have real arguments, invent them and that is a pretty bad thing. I understand people concerned about her weight after hearing all those rumors about her eating disorders, which were denied by the royal house.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Unfortunately the rumors are invented because she is Letizia and to speak about her it sells.
For example, in Spain the vice-president of the Government is very thin and nobody says anything. And other one so much the Minister of Health who is thin and tiny and does campaigns against the anorexia ... and nobody says anything.
But always it is necessary to invent rumors and barbarities that are contradicted again and again. The people are so ignorant that it does not know that this type of nourishing disorders provoke hormonal problems (as the retreat of the menstruation) that would prevent a pregnancy, but nonetheless they follow with this things.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Courtier

just a reminder of how breathtaking
Letizia once was. photo from tve1,
source: www.letiziaortiz.tk

and she was healthy, strong and radiant
here with Felipe in December 2003
(corbis photo)

and now withering away in May 2006,
which no one wants to talk about
photo from casa real

I think this is legitmate to point out.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Aristocracy

She has such a lovely smile, a great body, is the grand prize winner in the Spanish royal lotto and married to a husband who is not only drop dead gorgeous, but arguably could have had (and probably still can) nearly any woman in the world.

Of course she is going to stay thin and beautiful for him, she's not stupid ... her whole future as a Queen Consort depends on him succeeding to the throne. In the immortal words of the Duchess of Windsor "a woman can't be too rich or too thin".
Old 05-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Laviolette your three example can't to be judge in a same way only because one pic is a inside shot in a TV studio i.e. with a specific make up and an appropriate lightening; the two others were taking outside.

And as PreDoc said :" she has such a lovely smile, a great body " and for me an extraordinary look!
Old 05-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laviollette
just a reminder of how breathtaking
Letizia once was. photo from tve1,
source: www.letiziaortiz.tk

and she was healthy, strong and radiant
here with Felipe in December 2003
(corbis photo)

and now withering away in May 2006,
which no one wants to talk about
photo from casa real

I think this is legitmate to point out.
What do you mean that nobody is talking about? It seems to me that plenty of people are talking about it in this thread alone one way or the other.

Withering away is also a pretty vague yet heavy accusation. Withering away to what?

As has been pointed out around this forum, I don't think Felipe or the King and Queen would let Letizia continue her very busy schedule if she were as sick as some people are implying she is. They would get her help if she were really sick. So the fact that they aren't must mean that she is healthy. Otherwise the implication is that Felipe, the King and Queen are cruel slave drivers who insist that Letizia work at all costs, even to her health.

Letizia has been consistently thin throughout her life. Even in the above pictures used as an example of Letizia "withering away" the difference is less than 10 pounds at the most. And considering Letizia's very slight frame, 10 pounds either way can make a big difference. The one thing however I have heard nobody mention is the weight loss of other royal women since joining the public eye. How come nobody thinks some of them who have lost considerable weight since their marrages are "withering away" or whose weight is cause for alarm?

Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
Laviolette your three example can't to be judge in a same way only because one pic is a inside shot in a TV studio i.e. with a specific make up and an appropriate lightening; the two others were taking outside.
Not to mention the apparel she is wearing in the first two examples as opposed to the "withering away" example. In the first two pictures she is wearing suits made of heavy materials that are properly structured as a suit should be. In the "withering away" example she is wearing a thin button up shirt which is meant to cling to your body which the suits are not meant to do. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Further evidence that this argument of Letizia b eing sickly thin can be manipulated in many ways that bear false witness.

Closed Thread