The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Prince and Princess of Asturias and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
dazzling's Avatar
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: -, France
Posts: 17,867
IMO Letizia used to get criticized alot when she first got married, now it seems to have decreased but that doesnt mean when she becomes a Queen it will stop, it could start all over again.
Letizia gave up to the press at one point when they cristicized her on wearing European designers, now all what she does is wear Spanish designers which I do agree but doing that after being criticized made the press win.
She will always be criticized whether it snow, 5 years or 10 years of being Queen, she'll never win IMO.

The one thing which I see her being highly criticized of when she is a Queen is the fact she doesnt hold enough solo engagements. I know a few stated that she might prefer to do them with Felipe but at some point its not about what she prefers but about her being a Queen and doing the job it requires. Because if its about what she prefers she might want to be a stay home mom but that wont work.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK View Post
I guess people are pretty much sick of 'She was divorced', 'Her grandpa was a taxi driver' in about every criticism of this old man.
I don't think this has been much of a critizism issue with the Spanish public anyway, it was more a topic for the in-laws. Everybody knew especially Sofia wanted a royal bride in the first place so the expectations were high. Clearly Sofia wasn't pleased, not only because Letizia wasn't royal but also from an ordinary background, something that JC didn't like either. He always seemed fond of a socialite "higher daughter" with power and money in the background, eg Delphine Arnauld, and a foreigner, always preferred in royal houses instead of getting married to a local "subject".

Quote:
dazzling
The one thing which I see her being highly criticized of when she is a Queen is the fact she doesnt hold enough solo engagements.
This will and will have to change, simply because at some point the SRF are running out of people. Unless JC and Sofia will sport a robust health or sense of duty similar to the British with a full working agenda into their mid-80ies or even 90ies, there is nobody around to do the vast number of events apart from F & L. Both Leonor and Sofia won't be doing full time duties within the next 20 - 25 years what means a hell of a workload for F & L, together and, even more likely, separate. It already a waste of resources now but that's a different topic.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM
mrsbugman's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Austin, United States
Posts: 217
I have just started reading about the Spanish Royal family. I always got the impression that the King and Queen were happily married. And what happened in 1992.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
The one thing which I see her being highly criticized of when she is a Queen is the fact she doesnt hold enough solo engagements. I know a few stated that she might prefer to do them with Felipe but at some point its not about what she prefers but about her being a Queen and doing the job it requires. Because if its about what she prefers she might want to be a stay home mom but that wont work.
That's not true. The Spanish press rarely criticized her for not doing enough solo engagements, that's more from the internet forums. On the contrary, the conservatives (ex. Jaime Penafiel) actually claimed her dominating their work and writing all her hubby's speeches, another way to exaggerate things. Perhaps they do like working together, but she will certainly do whatever requires her for the Queen's job in the future. Right now, I think she (and Zarzuela) knows perfectly well that in order to have a future, Felipe has to do well, to be more visible (not as the cartoon said ). Unlike the job of the Head of State, 'waiting to be the Head of State' has no job description, if you don't tell people what you are doing, they wouldn't know. The Spaniards don't have the mentality of 'Let him enjoy life for now' as some citizens of other countries with monarchies (ex. Denmark). By working together did bring a lot of visibility to his work. When he becomes the King of Spain, he automatically becomes visible. I don't think the Spanairds know the details of the work done by the King, but they know he is the Head of State, not an idle man, does the job required for any Head of State.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: olney, United States
Posts: 594
I would be interested to know what the Spanish members of the forum have to say.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Maura724's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, United States
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
And what happened in 1992.
Yes, what was that a reference to?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 PM
fandesacs2003's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbugman View Post
I have just started reading about the Spanish Royal family. I always got the impression that the King and Queen were happily married. And what happened in 1992.
What is the 1992 incident?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Opal's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coastal, Ireland
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
He always seemed fond of a socialite "higher daughter" with power and money in the background, eg Delphine Arnauld, and a foreigner, always preferred in royal houses instead of getting married to a local "subject".
I always thought the King and also the Spanish preferred a local lady as their Princess to bring more Spanish blood into the family since Queen Sofia is foreign and even King Juan Carlos has a lot of British blood from his ancestry.
I don't understand why Letizia continues to do engagements with Felipe. I could see why she did at first so she could learn the ropes and so she wouldn't outshine Felipe. But it's been enough time now and Felipe is well established. They could get so much more done separately.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 AM
lucien's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 6,239
As to the initial question,who of you has a christal ball?
None I suppose.I think the respect and appreciation towards her will increase,no doubt in my mind on that.
She bloody well deserves it,she adapted to the Royal life spanish style flawlessly.

Critic's?Hah,there's always that and some have made it their life goal to critisise her all over time and time again.
Ignore.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
I always thought the King and also the Spanish preferred a local lady as their Princess to bring more Spanish blood into the family since Queen Sofia is foreign and even King Juan Carlos has a lot of British blood from his ancestry.
In royal history it has always been fashionable not to marry a "subject", your own countryman or -woman, it was even frowned upon. Royals used to nenew their gene pools by marrying other nationals. Even these days "mixed" marriages are preferred in royal circles with lots of examples in the old and new generation. Same nationality is almost an exception. A foreigner has the advantage to have a fresh start in a new country without a past as normal citizen but at the same time it can be a disadvantage too, being a "foreigner" (see Queen Sofia, nicknamed "The Greek"), who is likely to speak the language only with accent and might struggle with mentalities or habits.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 AM
Opal's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coastal, Ireland
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
In royal history it has always been fashionable not to marry a "subject", your own countryman or -woman, it was even frowned upon. Royals used to nenew their gene pools by marrying other nationals. Even these days "mixed" marriages are preferred in royal circles with lots of examples in the old and new generation. Same nationality is almost an exception. A foreigner has the advantage to have a fresh start in a new country without a past as normal citizen but at the same time it can be a disadvantage too, being a "foreigner" (see Queen Sofia, nicknamed "The Greek"), who is likely to speak the language only with accent and might struggle with mentalities or habits.
Yes this is what I mean, the fact she had this nickname. Over time the Spanish have embraced Queen Sofia (especially because she was already royal) but the fact that she had this nickname... And I remember reading that even Juan Carlos was chided a bit for being "too British". In most countries I think they're accepting of outsiders but I think the Spanish are not this way as much. That's my impression.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Little_star's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,623
Persoanlly I find a lot of the criticism of the Spanish gutter press really petty and it seems to harbour long-standing resentment on the part of some of the journalists.
__________________
Please give whatever you can to the DEC's Pakistan Floods Appeal. Millions of lives are at risk
http://www.dec.org.uk/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-12-2009, 05:43 PM
MaximaRocks's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 15
Anyone in the media spotlight (how ever low or high profile) is criticized regardless. Particularly now with the internet. The smallest thing is magnified and blown out of proporation and editorialized to death.

Letizia strikes me as a pro--in whatever she does. She has weathered the initial years of being in the royal fold. I think she could actually blossom as queen. I have a feeling with age an experience, she will surpass many's expectations.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: VALENCIA, Spain
Posts: 296
I think that Letizia has a good teacher for learn to be Queen, and I think that with a teacher as Queen Sofia, she will be a good Queen because her teacher is it ,A GOOD QUEEN.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 PM
moby's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 730
I think the criticism will decrease. She works hard, like other women who married into royalty but at the same time, she isn't trying hard to please everybody, unlike other Crown Princesses. I think the initial criticism was because she was already in the public eye before marriage and as such had little mystery to her. People are able to form their own images and ideas about Mary and Maxima, for example but they couldn't do that to Letizia because people already knew about her background and the life she led before Felipe.
__________________
It seems to me that origination is perhaps instinct, not intellect. -Joe Strummer

Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Magrat's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: in the heartland, United States
Posts: 3
I don't think the criticism will increase or decrease, it will just become louder. And if she plays her part well, she will silence them. Some people just can't do right, and apparently Letizia will be one of them.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Concerns about the increase in repetitive and ugly criticism Warren Forum Announcements and Admin 1 03-21-2009 06:09 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth birthday bourbon-parma camilla charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria danish royals engagement fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri habsburg hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hohenzollern infanta elena king abdullah king abdullah ii king albert ii king carl xvi gustav king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander picture thread pom pregnancy prince albert prince albert ii prince bernhard jr. prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince frederik prince henrik prince joachim prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess haya princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess maxima queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia relationship royal russia state visit wedding willem-alexander william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]