Titles and Styles of Leonor & Sofia's future husbands

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for infanta Sofia's future husband, I believe king Felipe VI will give him the title of Duke, as happened to the husbands of Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina.

In the case of Sofía's husband and I don't think he will be given a ducal title; Jaime and Iñaki weren't created dukes either! Instead, it is very likely that Sofía herself will be created a Duchess; her husband will then be able to use that title as well as long as he is either her husband or widower.

Note that for example Jaime is no longer the Duke of Lugo, because he and Elena divorced. Had he been the one who had been given the title, he would still be the duke of Lugo while Elena would have ceased to be the duchess of Lugo - but it is the other way around.

Agreed. A ducal or other noble title, should one be given, would be granted to Sofía for use by her husband, in the same way it was done for Infantas Elena and Cristina, Pilar and Margarita. (Sofía herself would continue to use SAR la Infanta Doña Sofía, exactly as the other Infantas continued to use their Infanta titles after being created duchesses. In the Spanish system, an Infanta/Infante title takes precedence over a (Spanish) dukedom.)

But my prediction is that unless the monarchy is considerably more secure by the time the Infanta marries, no title of nobility will be granted to the Infanta or her spouse, who will at most become an Excmo. Sr. Likewise, in contrast to Jaime de Marichalar and Iñaki Urdangarin, my guess is that a spouse of Infanta Sofía will not become even a part-time working royal. I think the King, in the present conditions, will minimize the risk of royal scandal by keeping the number of family members who are viewed as royals pared down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom