The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadziaMarta View Post
Ten Pages about a nose! WoW!!!!!!! People relax!
You mean... a Royal nose!

Well, I hope no one here is loosing any sleep because of Letizia's new nose

A nose job is like fixing your crooked teeth... What's the difference? Why do you have to live with an ugly nose you don't like if you can change it?
If your children had awful and damaged teeth wouldn't you tell them to fix them? I would.

I don't mind with the reasons for this surgery. She looks better and she still is a good princess (IMO), so everything is well.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 PM
Commoner

^^ Well stated!

Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdarlene View Post
Yellow/pink portuguese press are reporting the princess not only had a nose job, but also operated her chin, and injected botox mainly in her cheeks. I personnaly don't believe it, obviously she had the nose job that was confirmed by the Casa Real, wether it was for medical reasons or not I think is something we have nothing to do about, it's a personnal choice. I don't believe she changed also her chin and put botox, firstly these kind of press is not to be believe due recent headlines and stories they are taking from those kind of german tabloid press, and secondly because she's recovering from the surgery and obviously her face looks diferent, a little bloated.
But I'm sure in a few days, she will look good as always, and doing her job right as always.
She was in the public spotlight before her marriage and felt comfortable with her looks. If she has really undertaken all these treatments we can guess under how much pressure she must be now. Sad enough to trade her characteristic nose into a boaring snub nose. Poor girl - hope she does not become a plastic surgery addict.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

From Prisma
El antes y el después de la Princesa de Asturias después de la rinoplastia - Agencia Prisma
Old 08-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
A nose job is like fixing your crooked teeth... What's the difference? Why do you have to live with an ugly nose you don't like if you can change it?
If your children had awful and damaged teeth wouldn't you tell them to fix them? I would.
There is a difference between corrections being done during childhood for obvious ugly teeth, jug ears or a hell of a nose that will lead to the child being bullied or even depressions and an adult of 35 years who spent half her life (thereof at least 8 years in the spotlight) with a nose that does not strike anybody as "ugly" - it's unique or characteristic but not worth a second look thinking "oh my god".

Altering your appearance as a top class royal (meaning Head of State or future Head of State) is a no-no IMO. People identify with them the way they are and have always been, it's about being authentic and showing enough self confidence to get on with something as superficial as looks. That's why Margrethe is still sporting her ugly teeth, Beatrix her mega wrinkles, JC his Borbon-nose and Charles his oversized ears. Just imagine QE II having a facelift - shocking! Besides, a whole industry of satirists depends on the imperfect looks of their royals (eg Charles' jug ears, the horsey-theeth BRF or Sofia's hamster cheeks).

People love royals with characteristics and don't want any streamlined operated and obsessed-with-looks representatives. There is something about aging gracefully and the shocking example of Queen Silvia shows where people could end up once they started experimenting. Even if Letizia had to correct the shape of her nose for medical reasons only, from now on she will be under even more scrutiny from the media, speculating on what's next.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 AM

Maybe it's just a Spanish thing...

Queen Fabiola of Belgium had a nosejob done when she was about 20 or so, just for aesthetical purposes (though she was not in the spotlights then like Letizia is now). And that was like over 50 years ago.

But I guess it's different for Letizia. Some find it strange that she waited so long for this operation, especially since she spent so many years in the public eye already. But maybe it's just because she has been in the spotlights for so long, that she waited and postponed this operation, out of fear for what others might say, or out of fear for the nosejob itself. Since none of us is her personal doctor, and medical files are confidential, we'll never know for sure if there were medical reasons.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post

Queen Fabiola of Belgium had a nosejob done when she was about 20 or so, just for aesthetical purposes (though she was not in the spotlights then like Letizia is now). And that was like over 50 years ago.

But I guess it's different for Letizia. Some find it strange that she waited so long for this operation, especially since she spent so many years in the public eye already. But maybe it's just because she has been in the spotlights for so long, that she waited and postponed this operation, out of fear for what others might say, or out of fear for the nosejob itself. Since none of us is her personal doctor, and medical files are confidential, we'll never know for sure if there were medical reasons.
Luckily for Queen Fabiola of Belgium, there wasn't internet and mass media 50 years ago.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLeana View Post

I doubt it's a Spanish thing. Fabiola just happened to be another Spanish woman who admitted a nose operation. Others might have done the same, but didn't make it public (of course they don't have to since it's a private subject).
For Letizia, if only for the aesthetical purposes, she could have done it long time ago. Perhaps she did do the operation for medical purpose as the royal house stated, now if she and her doctor had decided to do a little more like the majorites of surgeries for a deviated septum, that's also possible.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Altering your appearance as a top class royal (meaning Head of State or future Head of State) is a no-no IMO. People identify with them the way they are and have always been, it's about being authentic and showing enough self confidence to get on with something as superficial as looks. That's why Margrethe is still sporting her ugly teeth, Beatrix her mega wrinkles, JC his Borbon-nose and Charles his oversized ears. Just imagine QE II having a facelift - shocking! Besides, a whole industry of satirists depends on the imperfect looks of their royals (eg Charles' jug ears, the horsey-theeth BRF or Sofia's hamster cheeks).

People love royals with characteristics and don't want any streamlined operated and obsessed-with-looks representatives. There is something about aging gracefully and the shocking example of Queen Silvia shows where people could end up once they started experimenting. Even if Letizia had to correct the shape of her nose for medical reasons only, from now on she will be under even more scrutiny from the media, speculating on what's next.
So far there is obvious difference between souvereigns and consorts. Silvia is a very unlucky one, her plastic surgeries turned out to be a disaster, otherwise she would also claim 'aging gracefully' as some other consorts . For people who follow the royals closely (ex. the posters on this board), they notice/care the change of the looks, the plastic surgeries, but certainly not for the majorities in this world who have no interest or very minimal interest. I don't think Silvia's plastic surgeries had been talked in China when she atttended the Olympics, nobody seemed to care in China.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

In reality nobody in Sweden cares about whether Silvia has had plastic surgery or not - it is simply viewed as her personal choice. She is a great queen - that is what counts. My guess is that people in Spain doesn't care either what Letizia does - as long as she is Felipe's loving wife, hardworking princess and mother to her children.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Is there a thread on Queen Silvia's plastic surgeries?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Is there a thread on Queen Silvia's plastic surgeries?
Pamk try maybe here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...gery-5639.html
Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I have never read it in any Dutch newspaper/magazine/gossip rag thus far .

Thanks, Marengo!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
There is a difference between corrections being done during childhood for obvious ugly teeth, jug ears or a hell of a nose that will lead to the child being bullied or even depressions and an adult of 35 years...
I don't see many differences. In both situations people (children or adults) wanted to look better. Ugly teeth don't make you unhealthy... A child or an adult fix their teeth because they want to have a nicer smile. That's the real Reason. And IMO, they have all the right to do so.
If Letizia wasn't a princess, maybe she would never have decided for a surgery. But now she cares about how she looks (who wouldn't in her place?). Who knows, maybe she was tired to look at pictures and see that nose she didn't like all the time...

Quote:
That's why Margrethe is still sporting her ugly teeth, Beatrix her mega wrinkles, JC his Borbon-nose and Charles his oversized ears. Just imagine QE II having a facelift - shocking! Besides, a whole industry of satirists depends on the imperfect looks of their royals (eg Charles' jug ears, the horsey-theeth BRF or Sofia's hamster cheeks).
Well, good for them! If they like the way they look, then I'm glad for them. But I wouldn't mind if some day Queen Margareth realized that a teeth whitening could be good for her

If one day King JC gets tired on his nose and follows Letizia's example, I don't think any one would say "well... I used to like our King. But since the day he made that surgery on his ears... I don't like him anymore!!"

Queen Elizabeth will never do a facelift. That would be shocking, I agree with you. There is a difference bewteen looking younger and looking better. Eternal youth is a myth. An old lady will never look as a teenager. Facelifts usually harm more than help because many women think that after a surgery, men will look at them again and everything will be like it was 20 years ago. But that wont happen again. A nose job doesn't make you more attractive to men ... it makes you more appealing to yourself.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Wow, 11 pages on a deviated septum.

I had my op done when I was 19 and it was far from pleasant. Here in the UK operations to correct a deviated septum are one of the most common the NHS performs and they can occur in a range of ages. When I had mine done there was a lady who was in her 60's a few beds over from me.

The fact is we have no idea whether this is a long-term problem that has simply gone undiagnosed (as mine was) or whether it's something more recent. For example, it could have been caused by an injury of some sort. I think it's sad that thanks to celebrities and Hollywood the minute anybody says "deviated septum" people start tearing the public figure apart. Celebs and royals are not omnipotent, they do suffer from health problems just like us mere mortals.

I had a some cosmetic work done at the same time because my surgeon told me to, on the basis that my nose may look different.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
There is a difference between corrections being done during childhood for obvious ugly teeth, jug ears or a hell of a nose that will lead to the child being bullied or even depressions and an adult of 35 years
Well in that case she's fully justified using your line of thinking because many media outlets and cartoonists have mocked Letizia's nose. Hence the comments about her looking like a witch etc.

Most people with big ears don't have millions of people making fun of their imperfection, if they of course see it as an imperfection.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I don't see many differences. In both situations people (children or adults) wanted to look better. Ugly teeth don't make you unhealthy... A child or an adult fix their teeth because they want to have a nicer smile. That's the real Reason. And IMO, they have all the right to do so.
Well, if the teeth are crooked, prominent, etc, they will make you unhealthy sooner or later!
Sorry Regina, but the idea that people need to fix their teeth always and only for cosmetic reasons is very obsolete.

As far as I know, all the surgeons usually suggest a cosmetic work when the patients need to be operated for a deviated sept and they also have either an ugly or an imperfect nose, but the patients can refuse the cosmetic work.
Obviously if they don't like their nose, they want also the cosmetic work. Why not?.
IMO, Letizia should have refused the cosmetic work. A nose job changes the face so much, and she didn't need to change her beautiful face, though she didn't have a beautiful profile.
Anyways, we will never know what is the real reason for Letizia's operation!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
Well in that case she's fully justified using your line of thinking because many media outlets and cartoonists have mocked Letizia's nose. Hence the comments about her looking like a witch etc.
Completely agree but this would only confirm what most people think anyway, that casareal only gave one part of the truth, the deviated septum. Fair enough as the other part could include a variety of reasons (eg not liking the nose or even depressions, vanity) that basically confirm that Letizia started cracking under the media pressure. If a CP with a rather characteristic than striking ugly nose decides to have a nose job after only 4 years in the media heat because of mockery ("witch") as you suggest above, she is obviously much more fragile than she wanted to make people believe. Charles's ears are much more significant in the ugly sense than Letizia's nose though he has managed to survive without an operation until this very day. Fact is that Letizia changed her nose and instead of being mocked from now on there will be constant speculation on what's next.

Btw my sister had her nose operated for a deviated septum but insisted on the same shape which was possible but every case is different. She said it was so painful that she would rather give birth to another child than having the operation redone.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_star View Post
I didn know that the media made fun of her nose,to me her nose was fine as it is,there was nothing wrong with it,but then it doesnt help when you see your picture on a newspaper or a magazine and people making fun of your nose and calling you a witch,i guess no matter how confident Letizia is i dont think it made her feel good,and to be honest it wouldnt make me feel good if people put my picture on a magazine and called me names,oh the media can be so nasty at times...
Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Nobility

Letizia had septo-rhinoplasty

Nasal septum deviation causes breathing problems. Septoplasty (nasal septum surgery) corrects a deviated nasal septum but the patient's nose remains the same than before. This procedure usually doesn't change the shape of nose outwardly.
Rhinoplasty (cosmetic nasal surgery or nose job) actually changes nasal deformities because of aesthetic reasons. The nose can be straightened, made smaller, humps removed or nasal tip lifted.
Septoplasty can be combined rhinoplasty what is called septorhinoplasty but part of rhinoplasty(nose job) is mainly performed at patient's own request.

Tags
letizia, surgery