The Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[...] I think he cares for his granddaughters even though I don't think he sees them that much. [...]

Aren't the residences of King Juan Carlos and King Felipe closely situated on the site of La Zarzuela (belonging to the Real Site de El Pardo)? With other words: they are neighbours?

Yes Duc, they are neighbors, but Juan Carlos does not seem a devoted grandfather, and I fear the fact that they are girls, makes it worse.

King Juan Carlos is her grandfather and godfather, so he should be there.

I think the presence or absence of Infanta Sofía depend on the general rule that has the school for cases like this, other classmates of Leonor will be in the same situation, and the school will have its rules.

Yes Duc, they are neighbors, but Juan Carlos does not seem a devoted grandfather, and I fear the fact that they are girls, makes it worse.

King Juan Carlos is her grandfather and godfather, so he should be there.

I think the presence or absence of Infanta Sofía depend on the general rule that has the school for cases like this, other classmates of Leonor will be in the same situation, and the school will have its rules.

I've had the same impression over the years, despite the girls being attached to their grandfather when he's around. And I agree it might have been different with a boy as heir.

Sofia and JC both are the godparents, so they should be there but that has never kept JC from making his own rules. He can still do the part at Zarzuela, showing him on photos like a copy/paste person, as we have seen many times on family occasions.

If she is allowed 6 guests I imagine we will only see her parents and grandparents.

I'm not catholic however I do think it is better to have more focus on the sacrament and it's importance. Where I live it seems to be more about the frills. Families spend a small fortune on dresses, limos and parties.

Yes indeed. And in a few years the kids, often very poorly catechized to begin with, have left the Church.:sad: I know someone this happened to. She spent almost as lavishly on that child's First Communion as she would have for her wedding.

I love the way the Spanish, Belgian and Luxembourgish RF's conduct their baptismal, confirmation and First Communion rites by keeping them low key and family events. It's an acknowledgment that it is above all a solemn sacramental event.

The downplay seems strange to my New York Catholic raised ears, but to each his own (Southerners are not as big on the hoopla, even for weddings). I suppose families in Europe still make it as big or as small as they want at the weekend parties.

I'd be very surprised not to see King Juan Carlos's present as Leonor's First Holy Communion ,he's had a bad few years and no need add any more negativity upon his image.

Granted he doesn't appear to be a hands on grandparent unlike Queen Sofia.

Last edited:
The downplay seems strange to my New York Catholic raised ears, but to each his own (Southerners are not as big on the hoopla, even for weddings). I suppose families in Europe still make it as big or as small as they want at the weekend parties.

I admit that I feel a little differently about weddings. The grander the better!:whistling:

But I still don't like seeing the solemnity and spirituality of the occasion drowned in a lot of meaningless ostentation.

I'd be very surprised not to see King Juan Carlos's present as Leonor's First Holy Communion ,he's had a bad few years and no need add any more negativity upon his image.

Granted he doesn't appear to be a hands on grandparent unlike Queen Sofia.

Since when does he care about his image as a family man?? :whistling:

Whether a grandfather is hands on or not, in my experience they do attend their grandchild's First Communion.

Why? First Communions are usually a big affair, a milestone in a young catholic's life. So why do you think it is good for Leonor?

I guess I should have clarified. The fact that her communion will be low key should mean that there won't be as much coverage as it would be if it were high profile (though as lula has said, it would be virtually impossible for there not to be at least one photo from the occasion), which is why I think a low key celebration will be good for Leonor (and her classmates since some parents don't like their children being photographed at school events).

During the ceremony, the princess will wear a white tunic over her uniform.

Thank you for the information, that's not so surprising then. :flowers:

King Juan Carlos has plenty of time on his hands now to think about his family and his tarnished image!

Yes, I agree with your statement but I honestly don't think he actually cares what anyone thinks. I believe he will sit and remember everything he did and enjoyed in the past and wish he could do it all over again. If he were my parent, I would still honor him as my father, but respect would be minimal.

The difference with "normal" parents of course is that the marriage between Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón and Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark was an arranged one from A to Z. Eventual personal feelings were considered of secondary importance.

^^^A great milestone in their family life and a sign that their child is indeed growing up. While this ceremony is going to be low-key, I wouldn't be surprised if her family and her classmates' families finds a way to make it a special event afterwards.

:previous: That is certainly great news... I hope Leonor enjoys this moment and reflects upon its spiritual value...:flowers:

there is a creepy photoshop of leonor in communion outfit but other than that the article confirms what has already been said before, leonor will take communion with her class mates in a low key ceremony, families sit in alphabetical order and have a bench for themselves. more or less six people fit in, in leonors case her parents, both sets of grandparents and possibly her sister sofia.
communion is set to take place on may 20 at 11:30am.
Mi Primera Comunión: Doña Leonor, una princesa sentada en segunda fila

By the way, JC is the only member of the SRF who has an event scheduled on May 20th, he will attend a bullfight in Madrid, probably in the evening.

Hope he will attend his granddaughter's communion, for her's sake...

Back
Top Bottom