The Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this true? She wears her school uniform for her First Communion? The family gets a single pew and shares a photographer? Interesting.

And I take the comment about Confirmation means that in some parishes, Communion and Confirmation happen together?

La primera comunión de la princesa Leonor: con uniforme gris y alejada de los flashes - 20minutos.es

I find it hard to believe that all children are wearing the same school uniform for First Communion but who knows. Modern times, maybe.

They will at least have to provide a picture for the press, the ceremony itself should remain private. I don't envy the parents of the other children, there will be a lot of pressure on them not to talk etc about this special day so the press will not get hold of any information beforehand or after.

Strange, I thought children were supposed to wear a kind of tunic for the holy communion. I wore it.

I asked because here in the US, wealthier parishes especially do communion dresses and suits. The dresses can get very elaborate.

I think the uniform a nice idea. It keeps the focus on the sacrament. JMO. Best wishes to the family at this special time.

When I received my First Communion the boys wore white buttoned-down shirts, ties and dress slacks while the girls wore white dresses and veils. Fast forward to 2008/20010 and my daughter wore a white dress/veil and my son dress shirt, tie, and slacks like the rest of their classmate. As I recall Infanta Elena's daughter Victoria also wore a white dress though her brother wore a sailor suit.

I did notice that when Prince Gabriel had his First Communion that he wore a tunic.

Felipe and Victoria Marichalar also made their first communion at school.

Victoria wore the for girls usual white dress
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Princess+Elena+Victoria+Federica+Spanish+Royals+JHnYAN4QL3Rl.jpg

If Leonor's school uses uniforms they don't have the problem of girls being dressed 'over the top' one having a more glamorous dress than the other.

Uniform keeps the whole ceremony simple but takes away the speciality at the same time.

I wore a white dress for communion but for example the confirmation that follows a few years later was a very low key ceremony in ordinary clothes.

I thought I remember having read that Felipe and Victoria was the "uniform" for receiving communion at their schools. All the boys wore the same sailor outfits Felipe's year and all the girls wore the same dresses Victoria's year. Could that be what they mean by uniform for Leonor? I've never seen girls receive their first communion without a white dress or tunic. I was hoping to see her in a white dress like Victoria.

I thought I remember having read that Felipe and Victoria was the "uniform" for receiving communion at their schools. All the boys wore the same sailor outfits Felipe's year and all the girls wore the same dresses Victoria's year. Could that be what they mean by uniform for Leonor? I've never seen girls receive their first communion without a white dress or tunic. I was hoping to see her in a white dress like Victoria.

Elena's son Felipe at his communion
http://www.bekia.es/images/galeria/20000/20100_felipe-marichalar-dia-comunion.jpg

I hope th media will respect her privacy, even tough it is hard to do so.... I hope the date is false.

May 20 is a Wednesday, that is quite a strange date for a communion. I remember that Felipe (son of Infanta Eelena) and his sister Victoria has theirs a working day as well. I guess it is common when the celebration is done at the children's school.

The article mentions it will be a celebration later (the next weekend) at Zarzuela, which seems pretty logical. I`m guessing we'll get pictures from that party, even if it is only a group picture of the family at the stairs (as they did for Miguel Urdangarin's first communion:

http://www.hola.com/imagenes//reale...in-comunion/0-177-594/comunion-miguel2--z.jpg
http://archivoimagenes.heraldo.es/uploads/imagenes/bajacalidad/2011/05/28/_famtod_f715c8bf.jpg

Now that I'm thinking, do we know anything about Irene Urdangarin's First Communion? She's Leonor's age, so it should take place next May as well...

Last edited:
The article mentions it will be a celebration later (the next weekend) at Zarzuela, which seems pretty logical. I`m guessing we'll get pictures from that party, even if it is only a group picture of the family at the stairs (as they did for Miguel Urdangarin's first communion:

http://www.hola.com/imagenes//reale...in-comunion/0-177-594/comunion-miguel2--z.jpg
http://archivoimagenes.heraldo.es/uploads/imagenes/bajacalidad/2011/05/28/_famtod_f715c8bf.jpg
I wonder if we'll get pictures. I hope so, even if they want privacy, she's no longer the Infanta of Spain, she is the Princess of Asturias. They can have their privacy, and release some pictures at the same time.
At least, we're all going to see her this upcoming Easter. Can't wait to see the little young ladies and their dresses.

I'm a little surprised that Leonor will be wearing her school uniform for her communion, because IIRC, Victoria Federica wore the white communion dress for hers whilst her brothers wore a suit, as did Infanta Cristina's sons. It will be interesting to see what Irene wears at her communion when we will hear about it, though I can imagine that she will wear a white dress given the fact that her brothers wore suits to their communions.

I think it's good for Leonor and the guests that her communion will be low key, even though I'm hoping that we'll get to see some photos. It would be nice if a new photo of Leonor could be released in connection with her communion, but I can't see that happening - but as kathia_sophia said, we'll still get to see Leonor and Sofia at the Easter mass in Palma de Mallorca.

[....]

I think it's good for Leonor and the guests that her communion will be low key, even though I'm hoping that we'll get to see some photos.

[....]

Why? First Communions are usually a big affair, a milestone in a young catholic's life. So why do you think it is good for Leonor?

HM The Queen and her grandchild Doña Victoria Frederica de Marichalar y Borbón

Comparable but Protestant: HRH The Crown Princess of Sweden, with her family and her godmother (Queen Beatrix).

:flowers:

Actually, at least in Spain, the very conservative Catholic schools (like Leonor's, although labelled as "laic", seems to be) are the ones promoting these low key celebrations since they consider the excessive spending and big parties are distracting from the real purpose of the sacrament, hence the not-fancy-dresses-everybody-must-wear-the-same-tunic, the just-six-familiar-for-each-kid, and the communion celebrated on a working day (all of these things are uncommon on traditional ceremonies)

And it's not uncommon finding kids that don't see any appeal on the celebration apart from the gifs and big party they'll get...

Last edited:
During the ceremony, the princess will wear a white tunic over her uniform.

The school of Leonor has done things like this for decades, and these standards were the same when Felipe made his first communion, though he didn´t celebrated it at school.

First Communion is celebrated in the neighborhood church corresponding to the school, The church is small, so the number of guests per child so limited.

Now many schools and churches want more simple celebrations, to give more importance to the sacrament, because first communions have become small weddings with expensive clothes, big meals and many gifts. But while the religious celebration is simpler, children are not left without their party with family and friends over the weekend. Princess Leonor will have her party at Zarzuela.

I think it will be impossible to prevent the press take pictures of the family at the entrance and exit of the church.

Last edited:
If she is allowed 6 guests I imagine we will only see her parents and grandparents.

I'm not catholic however I do think it is better to have more focus on the sacrament and it's importance. Where I live it seems to be more about the frills. Families spend a small fortune on dresses, limos and parties.

I think it will be impossible to prevent the press take pictures of the family at the entrance and exit of the church.

I guess they will have to arrange something in order to protect other parents and their children otherwise the atmosphere will be spoiled completely.

There have to be pictures, no question, and it would be good if casareal could publish some official HQ's to take the pressure off the event.

If there are only to be 6 invited guests it takes the pressure off Felipe from having to invite the entire family and seeing as Cristina/Inaki are in disgrace it might not be bad thing!

Actually, at least in Spain, the very conservative Catholic schools (like Leonor's, although labelled as "laic", seems to be) are the ones promoting these low key celebrations since they consider the excessive spending and big parties are distracting from the real purpose of the sacrament, hence the not-fancy-dresses-everybody-must-wear-the-same-tunic, the just-six-familiar-for-each-kid, and the communion celebrated on a working day (all of these things are uncommon on traditional ceremonies).

[...]

I like that. All boys and girls in the same white tunic, to avoid "competition" and overspending. It is the same over here in France.

Here an example of the same uniformity from my local parish in Lapalisse (in the Bourbonnais, region Auvergne): http://paroissenotredamedelalliance...t-de-confirmation-nda-lapalisse/image0012.jpg

Last edited:
If there are only to be 6 invited guests it takes the pressure off Felipe from having to invite the entire family and seeing as Cristina/Inaki are in disgrace it might not be bad thing!

1 mama Letiza Ortiz y Rocasolano
2 papa Felipe de Borbón y Grecia
3 sister Sofía de Borbón y Ortiz
4 grandpapa Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón
5 grandmama Sofía de Grecia y Dinamarca
6 grandpapa Jesús José Ortiz y Álvarez
7 grandmama María Paloma Rocasolano y Rodríguez

That makes seven. Maybe King Juan Carlos will remein absent because of his poor health, then it are six indeed.

:flowers:

Probably kids are excluded of the rule, so Sofia can attend and make seven.

To me seems logical six adult people (mother, father, maternal grandparents, paternal grandparents), but then it is a rule that excludes the kid's siblings.

Probably kids are excluded of the rule, so Sofia can attend and make seven.

To me seems logical six adult people (mother, father, maternal grandparents, paternal grandparents), but then it is a rule that excludes the kid's siblings.

If its a workday, maybe Sofia won't be there because she attends school. I would be surprised to see Juan Carlos at the school.

If its a workday, maybe Sofia won't be there because she attends school. I would be surprised to see Juan Carlos at the school.
That's true, the fact that it's a workday makes difficult for the kids siblings to attend anyway. I think I don't get the concept of the modern 'low-key' First Communions at all :p:lol:

You can call me delusional, but I really think JC will be there. I think he cares for his granddaughters even though I don't think he sees them that much. You can tell the girls are close to him whenever they are potographed together, and IMO kids don't lie.

And well, it's a wednesday and he really doesn't have very much else to do, if only for that :D Plus, his retired life with Beverly Hills trip are not granting him the best image among Spaniards, so he would not look good at all if he absents from his granddaughter's big day for whatever reason.

Back
Top Bottom