The Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
The Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion

Welcome to the Princess of Asturias First Holy Communion Thread .This thread will be updated when a date & venue have been confirmed by the Royal House of Spain.

Last edited:
This is a big milestone in any Catholic's life. Congratulations to Lenor. Can't wait to see the photos.

Has casareal already confirmed this event? I haven't seen anything in the press so far.

Will she take the Holy Comunion together with Irene Urdangarin? They are in the same age.

Will she take the Holy Comunion together with Irene Urdangarin? They are in the same age.

I might be wrong but I don't think this will happen given the scandal surrounding Inaki & Cristina.

Cristina's two middle boys had communion in Barcelona before they moved to Washington (the younger one was taken forward).
This time, the family is based in Geneva, but I can see them doing Irene's communion in Zarzuela instead of their adopted hometown. But certainly not together with Leonor.

In Spain and other countries on the Continent it depends very much on the background of the parents and the tradition in the parish if girls still wear long white dress or not.

There is an example: Doña Victoria de Marichalar y Borbón, cousin of Doña Leonor, wore a long white dress. See the picture below. The three people directly surrounding Doña Victoria are:
- grandfather Don Juan Carlos de Borbón y Borbón-Dos Sicilias, King of Spain
- grandmother Doña María Concepción Sáenz de Tejada y Fernández de Bobadilla, the Dowager Countess of Ripalda
- mother Doña Elena de Borbón y Grecia, Infanta of Spain
Source picture: Hola!

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...ctoria/federica/comunion/0-10-318/10318-a.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe it's nearly Leonor's communion already, time flies! Before we know it Sofia will be having hers. It would be sweet if Leonor and Irene had their communions together, although realistically, I think they will have theirs separately, since Irene now lives in Geneva and as others have said, her siblings had their communions in Barcelona.

I got it slightly wrong, the two first boys had first communion together in Barcelona before moving to Washington (Juan 9 years, Pablo 8 years), Miguel had his frist communion at Zarzuela while living in Washington at the age of 8 years).

My guess is that Irene will have her first communion at Zarzuela Palace too and not in Geneva but on a different date that her cousin.

wow, time flies! I never saw a long white dress for first communion before. Whatever she wears, she will be lovely!

Already? Time flies!
I can't wait for her Holy Communion and the pictures :)

She likely had her First Confession already. Perhaps she did it with her class.
I really like Victoria's dress. It's very dainty looking. At my daughter's First Communion in 2008 there was a mix of long, tea length and knee length dresses on the girls. Most wore a headpiece/veil combination or a wreath of flowers even though it was not required.

I can't wait to see her first holy communion photos!!!!
Leonor must be looks so beautiful :blush:

It will be a long dress for Leonor, it's tradition. Not only her cousin also had long dress, but the First Holy Communions of Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina, showed them with long white dresses.

Infanta Leonor's First Holy Communion

I cant't wait to see the photos

How old is she now? Here in Canada it is done in the spring of second grade (age 7-8). My cousin once removed is in grade 2 this year, and is supposed to be making his own First Communion shortly, if he hasn't had it already (they live in Ottawa, which is almost 5 hours away, and we don't get to see them that much). He will be 8 in August, and his brother, who will be 10 in November (10 on the 10th), had his 2 years ago around this time. It will be their sister's turn in another 2 years; she is 5 and a half (today, in fact) and is in what we call senior kindergarten. My family isn't Catholic (well, my mother's side is, but we don't practice it), but my cousin (my dad's sister's oldest boy) married a French Canadian girl from Sudbury, and those are their three oldest children. Their other two are 2 (3 at the end of August, a boy), and just turned 1 six weeks ago (a girl).

Last edited:
How old is she now? Here in Canada it is done in the spring of second grade (age 7-8). My cousin once removed is in grade 2 this year, and is supposed to be making his own First Communion shortly, if he hasn't had it already (they live in Ottawa, which is almost 5 hours away, and we don't get to see them that much). He will be 8 in August, and his brother, who will be 10 in November (10 on the 10th), had his 2 years ago around this time. It will be their sister's turn in another 2 years; she is 5 and a half (today, in fact) and is in what we call senior kindergarten. My family isn't Catholic (well, my mother's side is, but we don't practice it), but my cousin (my dad's sister's oldest boy) married a French Canadian girl from Sudbury, and those are their three oldest children. Their other two are 2 (3 at the end of August, a boy), and just turned 1 six weeks ago (a girl).
Leonor is 9 years old. She will be 10 years old later this year, on October 30th.

wow, time flies! I never saw a long white dress for first communion before. Whatever she wears, she will be lovely!

I am a bit surprised to read that. Long white dresses are the standard ingredient of Roman-Catholic communions, I thought. At my own communion I wore a blue velvet suit with white pantalon, like all boys did, and my sister wore a long white gown, like all girls did.

:flowers:

Leonor will be 9 years this October, as she is born in 2005.

I am a bit surprised to read that. Long white dresses are the standard ingredient of Roman-Catholic communions, I thought. At my own communion I wore a blue velvet suit with white pantalon, like all boys did, and my sister wore a long white gown, like all girls did.

:flowers:

No, not true, its not standard. Its about personal taste, my own dress had knee length, some of my girlfriends had long dresses. For the girls, there was a variety of all styles/lengths. The boys usually go in suits.

Infanta Leonor's First Holy Communion

I should ask my mom what length hers was. She was baptized in the church and grew up a practicing Catholic, and she and my dad even got married in the Catholic Church, even though they had a low mass (my dad grew up United, but wasn't baptized; and neither are me and my brothers) But like I said, we don't practice any particular branch of Christianity; our parents want us to pick our own religion (or not, it's entirely up to us, as long as we believe in the Lord Jesus Christ).

Last edited:
No, not true, its not standard. Its about personal taste, my own dress had knee length, some of my girlfriends had long dresses. For the girls, there was a variety of all styles/lengths. The boys usually go in suits.
Yes you are correct. In my cousin's parish, all girls were required to wear the exact same dress and veil, carrying the same white missal and rosary beads. The boys also wore same short legged white suits. All diocese in many states apply different rules for many reasons. There is no rule from Rome.

Today Leonor appears on the cover of several magazines. Apparently in her school children make their First Communion a year later than usual, and she will follow the same rate as her classmates, so it will be next year.

Thanks for the update I will close this thread for the time being.

Thanks Lula, do we know anything about Irene Urdangarin?

Usually kids are 9 years old on their communion, so nothing wrong to wait a year.

Back
Top Bottom