The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía, News Part 1: June 2014 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Spanish Royal family rarely discloses official photos. I was surprised with this new photo of Leonor. I hope this is the beginning of new official photos of the Spanish Royal family.

The Spanish Royal family rarely discloses official photos. I was surprised with this new photo of Leonor. I hope this is the beginning of new official photos of the Spanish Royal family.

There should be new photos in January when Felipe turns 50.

Not a lot going on from casareal of late so I guess they put the spare time to good use,nice to see a new photo being released.

amazing to get official pictures. i hope this becomes a trend and they release more and more official pictures at key anniversaries.

Lovely photo - great to see that Leonor is getting more presence, she's 12 now. Maybe this is a start to include her in appropriate events.

I hope so-she is the Princess of Asturias and heiress to the Throne. Estelle of Sweden of Elisabeth of Belgium got their starts as toddlers, so it's high time for Leo.;)

She is a very lovely child, not to mention quite smart... Next week's Paris Match reports that she is studying Chinese and French, is fluent in English and has started to learn Arabic.

Wow!

Last edited:
I really like this picture - it’s posed but not overly so and Leonor looks very cute and relaxed. I hope she’s enjoying her birthday!

As to the timing of the picture, not sure how it is in Spain but I kind of think of 12 or 13 as the end of childhood and the beginning of adolescence so maybe they thought it would be nice to have a photo to mark this new stage of life. I think there has also been growing commentary from at least some of the Spanish media regarding Leonor’s lack of visibility compared to her counterparts in other countries.

And, of course, the monarchy is entering an interesting period with regard to the situation in Catalonia and Spain in general. This picture, if nothing else, is a fairly simple way to help do what I think American politicians describe as consolidating their base.

12 is the last year before teenager, often a big age. Felipe is likely feeling the 'oh god I almost have a teenager' feeling just about now :lol:

She looks quite lovely. Nice new photo of her. Happy and relaxed :flowers:

I think Felipe started with events (such as PoA awards) at the age of 12.

Happy belated birthday to Leonor - I can't believe she's twelve already. I hope she had a lovely day.
I adore the new photo of her - she looks a lot like Letizia there IMO. I love the colour of her dress. Like others here I wasn't expecting to see any photos of Leonor for her birthday, so this was a really nice surprise.

The Princess of Asturias and the Infanta Sofia, summer camp in the United States

The Princess of Asturias, twelve years old, and the Infanta Sofía, eleven, will spend the month of July together in the camp.

This is the first time that there is official evidence that the Princess and the Infanta travel alone abroad. So far, the two sisters had participated in summer camps in Spain.

The House of the King adds that the decision to send the girls to a summer camp in the United States is part of "the process of academic and personal formation" of the Princess and the Infanta.

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real...rano-estados-unidos-201807031228_noticia.html

:previous: Thanks for sharing lula. It seems that Leonor and Sofia will be back just in time for the family holiday in Palma.
I think summer camp is a good idea for royal children whose parents are often on royal duties - it means that they won't be bored without their parents and they can meet children from different backgrounds and learn new things. Should be an interesting but worthy experience for the girls. I'm guessing they're fluent or near enough fluent in English if they're attending an American camp? I read once that they used to have an English nanny but I don't know how accurate that is.

I also think it's an interesting experience. Is a good idea. Have other members of other royal families already participated in this type of activity?

I am sure both girls speak English on native level, they will have teachers/nannies/governesses etc and I think I read that Queen Sofia speaks English with them.
It's a good idea to send them to summer camp, certainly it will be a posh one where rich and influential people send their kids to (maybe the Obamas gave a suggestion or two) and the girls start making friendships that may last for life, and not too long in the future I am sure both girls will follow their father's footsteps and do a school year abroad before finishing school in Spain.

Native level is a high standard and hard to congirm as I don't reme,ber hearing them speaking English. I assumd their English is good enough and will further improve by spending a month in the States.

Felipe probably still has American friends from his time at Georgetown, so maybe one of them recommended a camp. Seems more likely to me than depending on the Obamas.

I find it hard to believe that they will be left alone at an American camp without a security detail. I just hope that security is not too disruptive to the point of spoiling their camp experience.

I am sure they will have some staff with them, bodyguard, governess ...

I wonder if the girls have already departed for the USA?

I find it hard to believe that they will be left alone at an American camp without a security detail. I just hope that security is not too disruptive to the point of spoiling their camp experience.

Summer camps of this sort are very popular with well off American families, especially in New England, and including children from private schools in NY, Boston and DC. Camps of the sort I imagine the girls are going to will likely have experience with kids who come with security retinues and know how to both cooperate with them and make them as unobtrusive as possible.

OTOH, I suspect none of the camps would allow a governess. A big part of what the camps hope to teach these often very privileged children is self reliance, how to be part of a team, problem solving, etc.

Princess Leonor will officially visit Asturias

Princess Leonor will visit Asturias, with her parents and infanta Sofía, for the first time on September 8. They will participate in the commemorative events of the 1,300 years of the origin of the Kingdom of Asturias, the one hundred years of the coronation of the Virgin of Covadonga and the centenary of the creation of the first national park in Spainer parents and infanta Sofía will visit Asturias

https://www.lne.es/asturias/2018/07/10/princesa-leonor-visitara-oficialmente-asturias/2316002.html

:previous: Interesting, thank you for sharing lula. I wonder if this means that Leonor will start to undertake more royal duties (hopefully we'll see her attending an event for the Princess of Girona Foundation soon). I look forward to the event.

Visit to Asturias, September 8, 2018

Leonor, the 12-year-old future Queen of Spain is set to undertake her first official visit to her principality, Asturias, in September. The young Princess of Asturias will travel with her parents Queen Letizia and King Felipe, as well as her younger sister Infanta Sofía to the northwest region of Spain. The visit will reportedly coincide with the Day of Asturias (September 8), during which the royal family will participate in commemorative events.

"Prince or Princess of Asturias" is the substantive title used by the heir apparent to the Spanish throne.

https://us.hola.com/en/royalty/2018071212395/princess-leonor-spain-first-official-visit-asturias/

On the occasion of the celebration of the 1.300th anniversary of the creation of the Kingdom of Asturias, the Royal Mint has prepared the issue of a collection coin of 30 euros dedicated to the event, showing King Felipe and his daughter and heiress apparent to the throne, Infanta Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

https://www.monarquiaconfidencial.c...corte/primera-moneda-Leonor_0_3187481241.html

The chapel at the cave of Covadonga contains the tomb of Don Pelayo
of Asturias.

Leonor, the 12-year-old future Queen of Spain is set to undertake her first official visit to her principality, Asturias, in September. The young Princess of Asturias will travel with her parents Queen Letizia and King Felipe, as well as her younger sister Infanta Sofía to the northwest region of Spain. The visit will reportedly coincide with the Day of Asturias (September 8), during which the royal family will participate in commemorative events.

"Prince or Princess of Asturias" is the substantive title used by the heir apparent to the Spanish throne.

https://us.hola.com/en/royalty/2018071212395/princess-leonor-spain-first-official-visit-asturias/

On the occasion of the celebration of the 1.300th anniversary of the creation of the Kingdom of Asturias, the Royal Mint has prepared the issue of a collection coin of 30 euros dedicated to the event, showing King Felipe and his daughter and heiress apparent to the throne, Infanta Leonor, Princess of Asturias.

https://www.monarquiaconfidencial.c...corte/primera-moneda-Leonor_0_3187481241.html

What did Hello! mean by "substantive title"? The title no longer grants any privileges over the principality of Asturias (and Leonor is no longer an Infanta).

If they stay one more day they can watch the Vuelta finish in Lagos de Covadonga!

What did Hello! mean by "substantive title"? The title no longer grants any privileges over the principality of Asturias (and Leonor is no longer an Infanta).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substantive_title

- The title is only officially borne by one person at a time
- The title is ceremonial and confers no political, territorial or civic prerogative as such

I guess it only means the title is particularly given to the heir? (and probably they just copied from wiki as I saw the exactly same sentence appears:D)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom