Felipe, Letizia & Family on Magazine Covers

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering if someone could help with the translation of "hermana pequeña" and "hermana menor." Shouldn't the correct spanish word be "hermana menor?" Letizia referred to her younger sister as her "hermana pequeña" which to me translates to my "small sister" rather than "younger sister?" please explain if you know which one is more appropriate. Just curious. Thanks.

Roxsteve said:
I was wondering if someone could help with the translation of "hermana pequeña" and "hermana menor." Shouldn't the correct spanish word be "hermana menor?" Letizia referred to her younger sister as her "hermana pequeña" which to me translates to my "small sister" rather than "younger sister?" please explain if you know which one is more appropriate. Just curious. Thanks.

Nop, the context of what Letizia meant is younger sister. You are right, the correct way to say it is hermana menor, because they both were adults, however hermana pequeña is a tender way to call her. At some point Érika must have been smaller than Letizia. Not because she now, was small

To make it simpler for english speakers, if you have a younger sibbling you say my baby sister or brother, it doesnt matter if he/she is 60 with grandchildren and all. In this case the appropiate translation (more than literal translation) of what Letizia said would be "my baby sister"

I think it's a term of endearment. I call my 25 year old sis "my little sister" when I talk about her. I think it's more affectionate.

my understanding of it is that hermana menor translates into younger sister while hermana pequeña translates into youngest sister, if there are more than two sisters. the hermana pequeña can also be called the benjamina (benjamin for males). ;)

Pequena means little not young, so it's basically a tender way of calling a younger sister like abuela to abuelita, I would think.

planetcher said:
Pequena means little not young, so it's basically a tender way of calling a younger sister like abuela to abuelita, I would think.

i know what pequeña means. it's not just a form of endearment but it's also used to differentiate or distinguish the youngest from the other [younger] sisters.

this is at least what i've learned from my classes and from reading spanish texts. if i'm wrong, then maybe our members from Spain can clarify. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
the first one is

A Woman with Heart - Letizia, she feels guilty at the death of her sister

the second one is

The Golden Page - Crown Princess Letizia - only the mother-in-law can console her (Queen Sofia is there for her)

the third one is

The New Post - Letizia - distressed by gloomy thoughts of death

the fourth one is

New Week - Letizia at the End - Little Leonor is her last stop-grip? (I think it means Leonor is her last link to a normal, healthy life after the death of her sister)

the last one is

7 Days - Letizia - the last wish of her sister was for her to be healthy

Its all pretty melodramatic.

Last edited:
I think their headline writer is a failed novelist! No wonder with titles like this!

again with loenor'e health?

princess leonor said:
Could somebody translate these titles for me? I dont'really understand a word of german. What exactly are they saying about the King and about Leonor? Thanks in advance :flowers:
Stupid as always:

Woche der Frau: Letizia - in death drama united with the king in eternity (??)
I think, it is probably something about the King's dead brother and Letizia's dead sister.

Frau mit Herz: Letizia - Her fight for the child of her dead sister

The headlines about the other princesses are similarly lurid.

lilytornado said:
Stupid as always:

Woche der Frau: Letizia - in death drama united with the king in eternity (??)
I think, it is probably something about the King's dead brother and Letizia's dead sister.

Frau mit Herz: Letizia - Her fight for the child of her dead sister

The headlines about the other princesses are similarly lurid.

Thanks a lot for your translation. That which make me totally astonished is the great imagination of this kind o newspapers which don't fear to write stupidity one week and the opposite the next week whithout to be embarassed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom