The Prince of Asturias's Official Visit to Washington, D.C.: October 4-6, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince Felipe talks with the president of EE.UU., George W. Bush, moments before the act of celebration of the month of the Hispanic inheritance

Frorm terra

34ub8.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if Dubya spoke to the Prince in his broken Spanish.

The Prince of Asturias in the Inter-American Bank of Development

From terra​

Last edited:
Ummm, Felipe looks so yummy :wub:.

A link of Bush's speech.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061006-12.html

Bush welcomed Felipe as a family friend.

I am proud to welcome a friend of my family's, His Royal Highness Prince Felipe de Borbon, the Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Spain. (Applause.) His Royal Highness is here to help celebrate Hispanic Heritage month, which I think is a kind gesture and a noble gesture from a very important country. We're proud you're here, sir. Thank you for coming. Please give your best to His Majesty and your mom. And I will do the same on behalf of you to my father and Her Majesty, my mother. (Laughter.)

LaChicaMadrilena said:
I think he is already at home, with his girls :lol: It was said he would come back in the Saturday's morning.

Really? That's great! I bet they really missed him. And Felipe must be thrilled to hear his little girl say daddy again :flowers:

Maybe on another trip Letizia can come with him!:flowers: Agreed that he looks sooooooooooo handsome here in these pictures.:)

donnaK said:
Ummm, Felipe looks so yummy :wub:.

A link of Bush's speech.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061006-12.html

Bush welcomed Felipe as a family friend.

I am proud to welcome a friend of my family's, His Royal Highness Prince Felipe de Borbon, the Crown Prince of the Kingdom of Spain. (Applause.) His Royal Highness is here to help celebrate Hispanic Heritage month, which I think is a kind gesture and a noble gesture from a very important country. We're proud you're here, sir. Thank you for coming. Please give your best to His Majesty and your mom. And I will do the same on behalf of you to my father and Her Majesty, my mother. (Laughter.)

He was not even invited to Felipe's wedding, which I thought was rude.

Roxsteve said:
He was not even invited to Felipe's wedding, which I thought was rude.
Well considering the Madrid bombing ,the Spanish public lack of support for the Iraq war and the new Spanish government's subsequent withdrawal of troops from Iraq, I am not surprised that Pres. Bush was either not invited or chose not to come.

planetcher said:
I wonder if Dubya spoke to the Prince in his broken Spanish.

I hope not, what an embarrassment!

Ani

anag said:
I hope not, what an embarrassment!

Ani

It is better to try and speak broken Spanish that not do it. I admire people who try to welcome someone by speaking their language, and whether we are for Bush or not, you have to admire the fact that he has really welcomed the prince with open arms. Speaking broken Spanish or English or any other language should never be an embarrassment. Never!

Dear lula, thank you sooo much (and fanletizia for the pics too!!! :flowers:) for such an excellet coverage of Felipe's trip!!! :)

Roxsteve said:
It is better to try and speak broken Spanish that not do it. I admire people who try to welcome someone by speaking their language, and whether we are for Bush or not, you have to admire the fact that he has really welcomed the prince with open arms. Speaking broken Spanish or English or any other language should never be an embarrassment. Never!

For anyone, I think it's disrespectful to try and speak another language only to butcher it. I think it actually shows a lack of respect for their culture or heritage by trying to speak a language that you really don't just for show or just to impress them. I don't find it "welcoming" at all when I hear someone trying to speak in another language, anunciating things wrong or mispronouncing things. In some cases words can sound so similar that what you end up saying as opposed to what you want to say could be offensive or rude to your guest.

As Felipe speaks English, Bush could've just spoken to him in English. No harm, no foul in that.

Thank you to all for the stories and pictures. I've had a crush on Felipe for ages!:wub:

Waou !So charming and beautiful ! I know he's a prince and not an actor but he looks so beautiful smiling !

Roxsteve said:

I totally agree. I know when someone speaks to me in my native language even if it is poorly. I'm impressed with the fact that they tried.
When I met prince felipe back in 2000 in new mex. i spoke poor spanish to him and he thanked me for trying. i told him that i didn't know many word but that I was learning. so i don't think he is a judgement as some might think he should be. he is more worldly then that and far more understanding!:flowers:

His Royal Highness, the Prince of Asturias, the Infante of Spain, Felipe de Borbon ye de Grecia, he is just the epitome of graciousness and handsome to boot! He looks pimpalicious!!! He is definitely a modern day prince charming. And that cutie daughter of his looks just like him.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's just Tooooo Fine!!!!!!
Leti is one lucky lady.

Prince Felipe is so OMG on those pictures thanks to all who posted! my computer was broken!! I've missed so muchh and have to many things to catch up onn! anyways i missed you guys!..

Alexandria said:
For anyone, I think it's disrespectful to try and speak another language only to butcher it. I think it actually shows a lack of respect for their culture or heritage by trying to speak a language that you really don't just for show or just to impress them. I don't find it "welcoming" at all when I hear someone trying to speak in another language, anunciating things wrong or mispronouncing things. In some cases words can sound so similar that what you end up saying as opposed to what you want to say could be offensive or rude to your guest.

As Felipe speaks English, Bush could've just spoken to him in English. No harm, no foul in that.

I respect your viewpoint, but I totally disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom