The Prince of Asturias Awards All Years Untill 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don´t understand what she says, but she is so warm and remarkable woman, it´s great to watch her. But I think that her speech is a little too long.

Photos earlier today:
Zimbio

In the next days the the Foundation web site will translate the speech, then I´ll post. Only I cant tell you that I´m crying.
She dedicated beautiful words to the Princes, and well.....just touching! You´ll see

What was the hurry of giving an award to Ingrid Betancourt? Information about all the hostages and their heroic behaviour are just now filtering out. Seems quite impulsive to honor her without the full picture of the ordeal.

thank you to everyone who made for all of us possible to see such wonderful ceremony. what a great idea is to give the prizes! I was moved to tears watching all the honorees and listening to Ingrid Betancourt's speech.

Letizia was so beautiful last night:
Zimbio
This is a nice photo, they seem so happy and proud to be there:
Zimbio

More photos:
Daylife

La Opinion de Zamora/España descubre una nueva Letizia
Spaniards have seen during these days in Oviedo, that princess Letizia has found herself a new style. The princess is more beautiful than ever. One thing in her new look are the highlights in her hair. Pants, jackets and skirt suits, coats with a knee height are some of the basic wardrobe of hers. She is a a working woman, as well as princess and she needs to feel comfortable with what she wears. Letizia loves bags and shoes, and lucky for her, the platform shoes are now more fashionable than ever.

What was the hurry of giving an award to Ingrid Betancourt? Information about all the hostages and their heroic behaviour are just now filtering out. Seems quite impulsive to honor her without the full picture of the ordeal.

Same with Rafa Nadal. He's only 22, has only been number 1 for a couple of weeks, and only has 5 Slams compared to other great players who have been around longer. It's not to say that he doesn't deserve it; only that the award is given prematurely.

The foundation seems to be too excited to jump on the accolade-giving bandwagon even if it isn't time yet. It's too early to judge their legacy.

Last edited:
Same with Rafa Nadal. He's only 22, has only been number 1 for a couple of weeks, and only has 5 Slams compared to other great players who have been around longer. It's not to say that he doesn't deserve it; only that the award is given prematurely.

Rafael Nadal won also the olympic gold medal, which is highly appreciated not only amongst the people around the world, but also amongst the tennis players, and other athletes.

:previous: Yes, an Olympic gold is important, but it's not like Spanish tennis is in such a bad state that Rafa is the only bright thing in it right now that they give the award so soon. Give him a few more years and he'll accomplish more than what he has today, and then that's when the award will truly befit him.

But everything's pointless anymore, the award's already been given to him, and apparently the FPA has a history of giving awards to athletes who are still active. I wonder though, if they will still give him that when he retires.

Last edited:
The Princess was really beautiful, the dress was amazing!, and what a body she has!!
Ingrid Bethancourt's words were very very touching.. very kind words for the princes too. I loved when she was talking about the prince and she said "..and his beautiful wife" and he looked at Letizia and smile at her! :in_love: so sweeeeet! :wub:

exactly my thoughts. i expressed this earlier on in this thread, but i doubt the simple reason of having been kidnapped is enough reason to give an award to ingrid, as much as i like her. it hasn't been her choice to be kidnapped, and i doubt anything changed since her kidnapping/released regarding to the FARC. if the horrible circumstances she seemed to have
lived (that we actually don't know fully at the moment) were enough reason to give her an award, then all the other people who have been tortured, kidnapped and murdered also need to be awarded a prize. it's too early in my opinion. the panel would have had to wait for a bit longer to see how she takes her experience to an active involvement in ending or helping with the situation.

regarding ingrid betancourt: i'm sure as a past journalist, letizia must have thoroughly enjoyed speaking to ingrid. i wonder how long the two ladies met for.

coming back to the awards, the ceremony seemed great, just as every year. oviedo shines when the prince of asturias awards are approaching. it's also a good idea of the foundation that they request press meetings with all the awardees and everyone who wants (and is there early enough) can attend. letizia looked great (she seems to always look great when she is in oviedo, i wonder why! must be an inspiring place for her) and i'm glad the queen attends the prizes every year religiously.

i saw a picture of letizia's mum in the ceremony. her face seemed to look different (much younger). maybe a tip from letizia?

another gallery of pictures can be found here from LNE.

speeches of some of the awardees can be found here.

Just a question..Does the King ever attend the POA awards? I always saw the Queen w/ the princes..

Just a question..Does the King ever attend the POA awards? I always saw the Queen w/ the princes..

If I´m correctly, The King attend this Ceremony in 1981(The first one), also in 1984, the Prince couldn´t attend becouse he was studying in Canada.

Winners Speechs:

Ingrid Batacourt Speech (So touching. It´s a bit loong but I recomended to reed the whole speech.)
She dedicate this words to the Princes "Yes indeed, the word "Concord" belongs to them"

Tzvetan Todorov Speech

Margaret Atwood Speech

This is the program for today, SATURDAY, 25TH OCTOBER

10:30 a.m.: Asturian Society for Asociate Work (ASATA)

10:50 a.m.: State School Condado de Noreña.

12,40 p.m.: Presentation event of the 2008 Exemplary Village of Asturias Award to Torazu (Asturias)

1,10 p.m.: Visit to Torazu

Last edited:
exactly my thoughts. i expressed this earlier on in this thread, but i doubt the simple reason of having been kidnapped is enough reason to give an award to ingrid, as much as i like her. it hasn't been her choice to be kidnapped, and i doubt anything changed since her kidnapping/released regarding to the FARC. if the horrible circumstances she seemed to have
lived (that we actually don't know fully at the moment) were enough reason to give her an award, then all the other people who have been tortured, kidnapped and murdered also need to be awarded a prize. it's too early in my opinion. the panel would have had to wait for a bit longer to see how she takes her experience to an active involvement in ending or helping with the situation.
I was just about to look for your earlier post that I recalled carlota. I completely agree - it seems that it has become fashionable to be seen with Ingrid and all Heads of State, presidents or royals seem to be keen to jump on that bandwaggon. I don't want to take away anything from what she went through but where is the sense in giving an award to her? The right moment for that would be when there is a legacy, something good that came out of what Ingrid had to endure - eg a helping or advising others, maybe in form of an own trust or charity. For now it's just turning the attention that currently surrounds Ingrid into advertisement or interest for the own award presentation.

i saw a picture of letizia's mum in the ceremony. her face seemed to look different (much younger). maybe a tip from letizia?

She looks like she had the same complete makeover like her daughter. No wrinkles, puffy face. Too bad we did not see Grandma Menchu. I wonder if Zarzuela's surgeon of trust had his hands on her face, too, but that would have been quite an expensive botox bill!

Rafael Nadal won also the olympic gold medal, which is highly appreciated not only amongst the people around the world, but also amongst the tennis players, and other athletes.

Age should not be a factor. Rafa has accomplished a lot at such a young age; he deserves the award.

http://mitele.telecinco.es/programas/esta-pasando/50418.shtml

In the first part(report) of the video, podeis to see as a lady asks the Princess helps for a committed murder 10 years ago....
In the second part(report), the princess recognizes between the multitude her former teacher of mathematics... IT IS an enterteining moment because she behaves as a small girl saying to the whole world " he is my teacher of mathematics " jajaja very nice

:previous: Yes, an Olympic gold is important, but it's not like Spanish tennis is in such a bad state that Rafa is the only bright thing in it right now that they give the award so soon. Give him a few more years and he'll accomplish more than what he has today, and then that's when the award will truly befit him.

But everything's pointless anymore, the award's already been given to him, and apparently the FPA has a history of giving awards to athletes who are still active. I wonder though, if they will still give him that when he retires.
If the condition(state) of the Spanish tennis is bad(wrong)! How there is that of other countries?!
ATPtennis.com - Noticias del tenis alrededor del mundo
It does not seem that the state of the tennis is so bad in Spain...:whistling:
The prizes Prince of Asturias, not only they are granted by the sports career(race) of the winning one: also they influence his moral and human attitude...
Rafa is a boy who worries for the others and has a humble attitude ... attitude that the majority of the tennis players do not have, precisely.
Nadal, with only 22 years, has his own(proper) charitable foundation that one dedicates to the social help.
The foundation takes his name: " Foundation Rafael Nadal "

Rafael Nadal - Fundacion Príncipe de Asturias

Back
Top Bottom