Imperial Majesty

Nice photo of Felipe and Letizia passing Paloma:
20minutos
Lots of photos:
Diario de Navarra
Old 10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Video of Rafa Nadal receiving the Award
rtve.es/deportes - Don Felipe dice que Nadal recibe el galardón por "triunfos, humildad y ejemplo"

Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

What was the hurry of giving an award to Ingrid Betancourt? Information about all the hostages and their heroic behaviour are just now filtering out. Seems quite impulsive to honor her without the full picture of the ordeal.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Of Asturias Awards 2008

Prince Of Asturias Awards 2008 - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Aristocracy

thank you to everyone who made for all of us possible to see such wonderful ceremony. what a great idea is to give the prizes! I was moved to tears watching all the honorees and listening to Ingrid Betancourt's speech.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Letizia was so beautiful last night:
Zimbio
This is a nice photo, they seem so happy and proud to be there:
Zimbio

More photos:
Daylife

La Opinion de Zamora/España descubre una nueva Letizia
Spaniards have seen during these days in Oviedo, that princess Letizia has found herself a new style. The princess is more beautiful than ever. One thing in her new look are the highlights in her hair. Pants, jackets and skirt suits, coats with a knee height are some of the basic wardrobe of hers. She is a a working woman, as well as princess and she needs to feel comfortable with what she wears. Letizia loves bags and shoes, and lucky for her, the platform shoes are now more fashionable than ever.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
What was the hurry of giving an award to Ingrid Betancourt? Information about all the hostages and their heroic behaviour are just now filtering out. Seems quite impulsive to honor her without the full picture of the ordeal.
Same with Rafa Nadal. He's only 22, has only been number 1 for a couple of weeks, and only has 5 Slams compared to other great players who have been around longer. It's not to say that he doesn't deserve it; only that the award is given prematurely.

The foundation seems to be too excited to jump on the accolade-giving bandwagon even if it isn't time yet. It's too early to judge their legacy.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat View Post
Same with Rafa Nadal. He's only 22, has only been number 1 for a couple of weeks, and only has 5 Slams compared to other great players who have been around longer. It's not to say that he doesn't deserve it; only that the award is given prematurely.
Rafael Nadal won also the olympic gold medal, which is highly appreciated not only amongst the people around the world, but also amongst the tennis players, and other athletes.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, an Olympic gold is important, but it's not like Spanish tennis is in such a bad state that Rafa is the only bright thing in it right now that they give the award so soon. Give him a few more years and he'll accomplish more than what he has today, and then that's when the award will truly befit him.

But everything's pointless anymore, the award's already been given to him, and apparently the FPA has a history of giving awards to athletes who are still active. I wonder though, if they will still give him that when he retires.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Speech of the 2008 Prince of Asturias Awards Ceremony

Discurso de entrega del 2008 - H.R.H. the Prince of Asturias - The Prince of Asturias Foundation
Old 10-25-2008, 05:53 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

The Princess was really beautiful, the dress was amazing!, and what a body she has!!
Ingrid Bethancourt's words were very very touching.. very kind words for the princes too. I loved when she was talking about the prince and she said "..and his beautiful wife" and he looked at Letizia and smile at her! so sweeeeet!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

El Comercio Digital/Con su perfil más regio
The article praises princess Letizia, says that she has grown to her role very well. Naturalness is her strength.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
exactly my thoughts. i expressed this earlier on in this thread, but i doubt the simple reason of having been kidnapped is enough reason to give an award to ingrid, as much as i like her. it hasn't been her choice to be kidnapped, and i doubt anything changed since her kidnapping/released regarding to the FARC. if the horrible circumstances she seemed to have
lived (that we actually don't know fully at the moment) were enough reason to give her an award, then all the other people who have been tortured, kidnapped and murdered also need to be awarded a prize. it's too early in my opinion. the panel would have had to wait for a bit longer to see how she takes her experience to an active involvement in ending or helping with the situation.

regarding ingrid betancourt: i'm sure as a past journalist, letizia must have thoroughly enjoyed speaking to ingrid. i wonder how long the two ladies met for.

coming back to the awards, the ceremony seemed great, just as every year. oviedo shines when the prince of asturias awards are approaching. it's also a good idea of the foundation that they request press meetings with all the awardees and everyone who wants (and is there early enough) can attend. letizia looked great (she seems to always look great when she is in oviedo, i wonder why! must be an inspiring place for her) and i'm glad the queen attends the prizes every year religiously.

i saw a picture of letizia's mum in the ceremony. her face seemed to look different (much younger). maybe a tip from letizia?

another gallery of pictures can be found here from LNE.

speeches of some of the awardees can be found here.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 AM
Courtier

Just a question..Does the King ever attend the POA awards? I always saw the Queen w/ the princes..
Old 10-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
Just a question..Does the King ever attend the POA awards? I always saw the Queen w/ the princes..
i don't know if he ever attended but traditionally it has been the prince and the queeen (and princess later on).
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
If I´m correctly, The King attend this Ceremony in 1981(The first one), also in 1984, the Prince couldn´t attend becouse he was studying in Canada.

Winners Speechs:

Ingrid Batacourt Speech (So touching. It´s a bit loong but I recomended to reed the whole speech.)
She dedicate this words to the Princes "Yes indeed, the word "Concord" belongs to them"

Tzvetan Todorov Speech

Margaret Atwood Speech

This is the program for today, SATURDAY, 25TH OCTOBER

10:30 a.m.: Asturian Society for Asociate Work (ASATA)

10:50 a.m.: State School Condado de Noreña.

12,40 p.m.: Presentation event of the 2008 Exemplary Village of Asturias Award to Torazu (Asturias)

1,10 p.m.: Visit to Torazu