The Prince and Princess of Asturias's Honeymoon: May-June 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey. I've been away for a long time--I was actually in Madrid during the wedding--and just wanted to comment about people who wondered if Letizia didn't like visiting churches because some people claim she's not religious. Churches are a must see in any Spanish city or town--they are a major tourist attraction, so visting churches has nothing to do, necessarily, with religion or even PR.

In any case, I was in Madrid and people loved, loved, loved that before leaving for Jordan they took a few days and visited some small but beautiful Spanish towns.

I leave you an article with the latest news from the honeymoon (in spanish) ;)

"El Confidencial Digital

Más detalles de la luna de miel de los Príncipes de Asturias: de Tailandia a Beijing pasando por la India

Ya contamos en El Confidencial Digital, en rigurosa exclusiva, que los Príncipes de Asturias han pasado parte de su luna de miel en una pequeña y paradisíaca isla de Tailandia. Ahora podemos añadir más detalles: han viajado a China, tras pasar por la India.

Felipe de Borbón y Letizia Ortiz se desplazaron este viernes, día 4 de junio, hasta Beijing (antigua Pekín) en el vuelo TG 614, de la compañía tailandesa Thai, que salió de Bangkok, en La India. Por cierto, que el despegue fue bastante movido.

El deseo de mantenerse en el máximo nivel de anonimato por parte de la pareja se vio roto por el comandante de la aeronave, que, en un español casi perfecto, aprendido en Salamanca, dio por los altavoces un “saludo especial” a los Príncipes de Asturias.

Los primeros sorprendidos fueron los propios aludidos, que no es esperaban algo así en un avión de bandera tailandesa. El comandante destacó en su parlamento el hecho de que, encontrándose en su luna de miel, hubieran tenido la amabilidad de escoger un avión de su compañía aérea.

Tanto Felipe de Borbón como Letizia Ortiz no sabían qué cara poner, tras verse descubiertos por el piloto. Y los dos escoltas, que les acompañan en este viaje, se miraban incrédulos y se les notaba inquietos por lo que estaba pasando.

No acabó ahí la cosa. El comandante salió de la cabina para saludar a los ilustres pasajeros, que tuvieron que acceder a hacerse una fotografía con él como recuerdo. El Príncipe y su esposa se mostraron, por supuesto, corteses y amables.

Los recién casados, que lucen un magnífico color de piel, tras el paso por las escondidas playas de la isla tailandesa, tras tomar tierra, se perdieron por las calles de la capital de China para continuar en aquél país su discreta luna de miel. (7-06-2004)"

Well, i just made a resume in english of the previous article :flower: So, these are the latest news from their honeymoon :p After speading some relaxing days in the beautiful island of Koh Muk in thailand, Felipe and Letizia visited India and now they are in China. They were discovered in the TG 614 fligth from Thai to Beijin. they tried to stay anominous but the pilot, in spanish, gave a special welcome to the Princes of Asturias in the plane comunicator (the pilot said that he gave this welcome for the kindness of the princes of choosing Thai to travel in their honeymoon). Felipe and Letizia stayed very surprised (has their bodyguards). The pilot also left the cabine and went salute the royal couple and asked them to take a pic. he said that Felipe and Letizia were very kind and gentle. Also seems that the royal couple is showing a wonderful sky colour after their stop in India B)

Nice story. Thailand. Good place. Great beaches. Perfect for a honeymoon.

Muchisimas Gracias por informandonos de los ultimos de la luna de miel!!

It was obnoxious for the pilot to blow their cover. He could have gotten a picture with them on their way out the door and said privately, "Congratulations." I think a honeymoon should be totally private. The rest of their lives won't be.

Originally posted by Paulina@Jun 7th, 2004 - 12:57 pm
It was obnoxious for the pilot to blow their cover. He could have gotten a picture with them on their way out the door and said privately, "Congratulations." I think a honeymoon should be totally private. The rest of their lives won't be.
You have a good point Paulina!! The guy just probably got carried away with the fact that he had Royals on board!!! :eek: :eek: :doh:

Originally posted by Paulina@Jun 7th, 2004 - 12:57 pm
People from different culture had different ways of showing gratitude. We don't know about Thai's culture. Maybe if the pilot had kept quiet, he felt that he hadn't shown the gratitude and courtesy to the couple.

I don't know if anyone saw the photo of them in Petra that was printed in the NYPost. You could clearly see that Felipe is a man of substantial "assets." I know he's 6'5" , but it truly was astounding.

Thanks for the pics...

I find Letizia with beautiful smile (good teeth :p ) and beautiful eyes too....

I like her face and the personality she projects..

All in all, i like this couple...Felipe made a good choice: A beautiful highly educated respectful Spanish wife that has great potentials to be a good queen....and besides they LOVE each other

I am glad he is not with Eva: cheap look.... :yuk:

Originally posted by Bubbette@Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:16 am
I don't know if anyone saw the photo of them in Petra that was printed in the NYPost.  You could clearly see that Felipe is a man of substantial "assets." I know he's 6'5" , but it truly was astounding.
Glad to know I'm not the only one whose mind is in the gutter! I didn't see a NY Post photo, but I did make a similar observation in one of those Petra photos.

I find Letizia with beautiful smile (good teeth :p ) and beautiful eyes too....

I like her face and the personality she projects..

All in all, i like this couple...Felipe made a good choice: A beautiful highly educated respectful Spanish wife that has great potentials to be a good queen....and besides they LOVE each other
Yeah, I like her too. I know some people prefer the sweet, mild mannered sweetly pretty type, but I'm glad Felipe married a woman of strength, courage and intelligence, with charisma and a strong work ethic (even her detractors acknowledge all these attributes). He found not just a wife that looks good on his arm, but a full partner in every sense of the word. And frankly, that makes me think better of him. It takes a strong and confident man to love and marry a strong and confident woman.

And then, they do make such a gorgeous couple. So much so that I think they each gain charisma from the other. Is that crazy?

Originally posted by lucys+Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:58 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lucys @ Jun 10th, 2004 - 11:58 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bubbette@Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:16 am
I don't know if anyone saw the photo of them in Petra that was printed in the NYPost.  You could clearly see that Felipe is a man of substantial "assets." I know he's 6'5" , but it truly was astounding.
Glad to know I'm not the only one whose mind is in the gutter! I didn't see a NY Post photo, but I did make a similar observation in one of those Petra photos. [/b][/quote]
Do you have an on line link to your photo? I mean it wasn't even like his pants were so tight--it just must have been thin material or something--but you know, I think I need to see it again, just to be sure. . . . ;) Oh, I just looked at the page before this--I think those photos have been edited somewhat! :))

Wow, now I discover she got a very sexy mouth, long and wide and very sexy.

Can somebody please translate this, luna de miel = honeymoon, so maybe a honeymoon in the Mediterranean and Italy :flower:

Un crucero por el Mediterráneo hasta Italia, última etapa de la luna de miel de los Príncipes de Asturias
El Confidencial Digital está proporcionando en exclusiva, día tras días, los únicos datos que se están conociendo en la prensa española sobre la luna de miel de Felipe de Borbón y Letizia Ortiz. Ahora podemos añadir otra noticia: la última etapa del viaje es un crucero por el mar Mediterráneo.
Este crucero se desarrollará comenzando por las islas griegas, precisamente la tierra natal de la Reina doña Sofía, que el Príncipe ha visitado ya en varias ocasiones, y que ahora la pisará en compañía de su esposa.

Los recién casados van a utilizar para este viaje el barco de un conocido armador griego, un buque muy moderno y marinero, con todas las comodidades y también con todas las dotaciones técnicas y de comunicaciones.

Tras tocar en tierra en diversas islas griegas, el periplo concluirá singladura en tierras italianas, en varios puertos, cuyos nombres se custodian con la máxima discreción para evitar, como se ha conseguido hasta ahora, que los “paparazzi” localicen a la pareja y rompan sus deseos de intimidad.

Según hemos sabido, desde La Zarzuela se ha solicitado a las autoridades italianas –que ya conocen algunos detalles del crucero por el Mediterráneo- la máxima discreción sobre los puertos de destino de los Príncipes con el fin de asegurar la reserva.

Los Príncipes de Asturias terminarán este crucero final en torno al día 21 de junio, lunes, y desembarcarán en un puerto de Italia, como decimos, para continuación viajar a Madrid, donde el jueves, día 24 asistirán a la recepción con motivo de la onomástica del Rey.

Tal como se adelantó en ECD, el Santo de don Juan Carlos se va a celebrar con cambios respecto a los últimos años. En lugar de La Zarzuela, como hasta ahora, la recepción se desarrollará en el Palacio Real, aunque en el interior, no en el Campo del Moro, como se organizaba hace una década, una reunión en la que participaban miles de personas de todas las instancias del país.

Durante ese acto se procederá a la concesión de algunas condecoraciones reales, entre ellos se cree que estarán algunos de los “constituyentes”. (16-06-2004)

link to the article

Un crucero por el Mediterráneo hasta Italia, última etapa de la luna de miel de los Príncipes de Asturias

My Spanish is a little rusty and it's not Castillian Spanish, but I think it says" A cruise on the Mediterranean for Italy, the last stop in the honeymoon of the Prince and Princess of Asturias"

I don't know about the rest, but I'll try a rough translation :blush:

Hello Everyone!!

Tough Spanish isn't my first language (that would be Portuguese) I did my best in this attempt of translating this article to you.
The only thing that I didn't translate was the two last paragraphs, because the subject isn't the Princes of Asturias. Hope that there's not too many mistakes.

Anna :heart:

A cruise through the Mediterranean to Italy, the last step of the Princes os Asturias honeymoon

The Confidencial Digital is giving you exclusively, day by day, the only data that’s been known in Spanish press about the honeymoon of Felipe de Borbón and Letizia Ortiz. Now we can give you another news: the last step of the trip is a cruise thorugh the Mediterranean sea.

This cruise will start from the Greek Islands, specifically in Queen Sofia’s homeland, which the prince has visited many times and now will be doing it accompanied by his wife.

The boat that the lovebirds will be using in this trip belongs to a known Greek ship owner, a very modern ship, which includes all the comforts and all of the communication technologies.

After visiting several Greek Islands, they’ll head to Italy, visiting a lot of places whose numbers are being kept at maximum secret to avoid, like has happened until now, that the paparazzi locate the couple and spoil their wishes for intimacy.

According to our sources, Zarzuela Palace has asked to Italian authorities – that are aware of some of the details from the cruise through the Mediterranean – a maximum of discretion regarding the places that the princes will be visiting, intending to assure their privacy.

The princes of Asturias will finish the cruise around June 21st, Monday, and will land on a Italian harbor from where they’ll head to Madrid, where, on Thursday, 24 they’ll attend the reception to honor the King’s onomástica

Great job Anna! By the way, the King's onomástica is his Saint's day--in Spain celebrating one's saint's day is a big deal. The King's has been low key ever since his father, also named Juan, died. But this year it's supposed to be a big deal again.

As far as the little we know goes about the honeymoon, it appears they had a very varied and exciting time. First a few historic towns in Spain, then Jordan, including Petra and a sail on the sea waters off of Agra, then to a tiny island in Thailand, on to China and finally a cruise in Greek and Italian waters. If that information is all correct, that's quite a honeymoon!

Thanks Anna_R :flower: I really appreciate your translating it for us.

The only thing that I didn't translate was the two last paragraphs, because the subject isn't the Princes of Asturias.
:lol: I didn't know that it has nothing to do with the honeymoon :lol:

There are so many stories about where Felipe and Letizia spent the private part of their honeymoon. I suppose we'll only know if they tell people. In anycase, according to the Fiji Times they spent a week at a very exclusive and private club in Fiji, at the The Wakaya Club. Who knows? I guess they do and that's about it.

Originally posted by lucys@Jun 6th, 2004 - 7:13 pm
...just wanted to comment about people who wondered if Letizia didn't like visiting churches because some people claim she's not religious. Churches are a must see in any Spanish city or town--they are a major tourist attraction, so visting churches has nothing to do, necessarily, with religion or even PR.
Very true. Churches have a lot of art work that one just can miss if visiting Spain. Even small places have richly decorated churches.
And going in the church doesn't mean you have to assist a service or be catholic. You can go to visit as a tourist.

Hello! magazine

Felipe and Letizia unwind in a Pacific paradise

Spanish newlyweds Crown Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia have been enjoying some tropical R&R in Fiji. According to local newspapers the happy couple spent the final week of their honeymoon at the luxurious Wakaya Club.

The exclusive resort, found on a tiny sun-drenched island in the South Pacific, has attracted more than its share of celebrity visitors. Pierce Brosnan, Nicole Kidman and Penelope Cruz have all enjoyed its no expense-spared pampering in years gone by.

Wakaya aims to offer the last word in luxury breaks. Its sumptuous cottages, or bures, face onto unspoilt beaches and stunning natural landscapes. The Governor's Bure also boasts a Jacuzzi while the "House in the Clouds" has a private tennis court.

Visitors are invited to get to know the local culture by taking part in traditional feasts and festivals. An afternoon of scuba-diving, canoeing or hiking will meanwhile bring you face-to-face with the region's dazzlingly colourful wildlife. And the island also has one of the world's last untouched reef systems - the entire area in front of the Wakaya Club has been designated a marine sanctuary.

Those in search of simple solitude are likewise catered to, because the club will even arrange for you to have a private beach during your stay.

Indeed the only difficult thing about spending some time in this paradise is the bill you'll face at the end of your stay. The Wakaya Club's bures start at $1,800 a night for a garden view cottage, running to a staggering $6,500 for the "House In The Clouds".

Back
Top Bottom