The baby's possible godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?

• King Juan Carlos or Queen Sofia

Votes: 51 33.3%
  • Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín

Votes: 39 25.5%
  • Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother)

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Telma Ortiz or Erika Ortiz (Letizia's sisters)

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Members of another Royal Family (please specify)

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Other suggestion, please specify

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LaChicaMadrilena said:
I'm wandering who will be the godparents of F&L's baby?

I think King Juan Carlos will be one of the Godparents.. I think that the spanish royals.. usually use family first and the extended family and friends last...

Queens

Queens said:
I think King Juan Carlos will be one of the Godparents.. I think that the spanish royals.. usually use family first and the extended family and friends last...

Queens
You're probably right. Godfather of Infanta Elena's first child, Froilan, is the King.

I also think that the godfather will be the King Juan Carlos, since the baby will be the inheritor. The Queen is not a godmother of ninguo of her grandsons, of any of the 6; though probably it is a question of which how already she is the grandmother,she prefers that the godmother is another person.

The normal thing would be at the time that the godmother was a relative of Letizia, probably her grandmother Menchu. But any other woman of the family. The certain thing is that in this family there are many women; I think that the father of Lettizia must be wishing that the baby is a boy, because after 2 sisters, 3 daughters and a granddaughter, must think that already it is time to have a boy in the family.

I think the godparents of F&L firstborn will be royals. Perhaps in a following birth they will pick someone of Letizia's family (probably Telma), but not for this one. My guess is that the godparents will be King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, although she seems to prefer not being godmother of any of her grandchildren... The godmother could thus be a member of other royal house (although she would have to be catholic, I believe...).

Elsa M. said:
I think the godparents of F&L firstborn will be royals. Perhaps in a following birth they will pick someone of Letizia's family (probably Telma), but not for this one. My guess is that the godparents will be King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia, although she seems to prefer not being godmother of any of her grandchildren... The godmother could thus be a member of other royal house (although she would have to be catholic, I believe...).

The logical thing is that if the godfather is the King, the godmother is a member of Letizia's family. The Infantas for her first children always have chosen a member of every family. And more knowing it joined that the Princess to her family.
I do not believe that it worries the Princes that their son has "royal" godfathers. Neither I believe that they choose no foreign prince, it is done by the princes of other religions who can have many godfathers. But the principal godfathers in these cases also are in the habit of being members of both families.
The godfathers of the Prince and the Infantas, were all members of the family of the King, because in this epoch the habitual thing was to choose members of the family and the family of the Queen was of another religion. Today in day not if both godfathers must be Catholics, or it it is possible to be one only.
The example that can guide us is the Belgian Royal Family, someone knows those who are the godfathers of the small Elisabeth.

lula said:
The logical thing is that if the godfather is the King, the godmother is a member of Letizia's family. The Infantas for her first children always have chosen a member of every family. I do not believe that it worries the Princes that their son has "royal" godfathers.
Yes, but I'm sure that they will avoid raising polemic around the future heir to the throne, and if the godparents were recruited among Letizia's family, many critical voices would then stand from the crowd... I can almost listen to Peñafiel's troops... :rolleyes:
lula said:
Neither I believe that they choose no foreign prince, it is done by the princes of other religions who can have many godfathers. But the principal godfathers in these cases also are in the habit of being members of both families.
I was thinking of a Greek royal, probably Alexia... I now Protestants couldn't be godparents, but I'm not sure about Orthodox Christians...

Elsa M. said:
Yes, but I'm sure that they will avoid raising polemic around the future heir to the throne, and if the godparents were recruited among Letizia's family, many critical voices would then stand from the crowd... I can almost listen to Peñafiel's troops... :rolleyes:
I was thinking of a Greek royal, probably Alexia... I now Protestants couldn't be godparents, but I'm not sure about Orthodox Christians...

It would not have Elsa felt, I explain. Letizia was the plebeian one, and her son as very prince who is going to be also is going to have a family that does not belong to the royalty. If it admires something many people in Letizia are the fondness that has to her family and it joined that is to it. The only ones that would criticize it would be a people who does not accept Letizia, but the people in general I believe that they would see worse than it was stopping of side to the family of the princess, more having in all that both Infantas chose a member of every family as godfathers of their children.

lula said:
Letizia was the plebeian one, and her son as very prince who is going to be also is going to have a family that does not belong to the royalty. If it admires something many people in Letizia are the fondness that has to her family and it joined that is to it.
You're probably right, and I'm sure that any member of Letizia's family will take the role of godfather/godmother of any of their following children... I just don't think it is likely to happen with their firstborn, who will someday be the king of Spain... but I may be wrong, after all... ;)

I have found the example of Belgium, a country where also they are catholic. The godfathers of Elisabeth are her paternal cousin Prince Amedeo and her maternal aunt Helene d'Udekem d'Acoz. The godparents of Grabriel are Baroness Maria Christina Rossi di Montelera and his maternal uncle Count Charles-Henri d'Udekem d'Acoz.

Already that Mathilde's family is an aristocrat, but since you see neither they chose the Kings or the brothers of their father.

Elsa M. said:
You're probably right, and I'm sure that any member of Letizia's family will take the role of godfather/godmother of any of their following children... I just don't think it is likely to happen with their firstborn, who will someday be the king of Spain... but I may be wrong, after all... ;)

The times have changed. Now the princesses are not born belonging to the royalty. In other times, the King had taken Letizia to the altar and not her father.
The baptism is a familiar act, which is realized by decision of the parents, is not a public question. In it the things also have changed. Spain is a for the most part and traditionally catholic country. But the State legally is aconfesional, therefore the baptism of the future King only is an intimate and familiar act.

So I believe that the Princes will worry for choosing someone who takes care and loves their baby.

We can speculate very much, but until the baby is born we will not know it ... already only they stay two months.;)

I think that the baby's godmother will be Cristina. She's Felipe's sister and they are great friends;)

Godparents

I have never heard of grandparents being godparents to their grandchildren.
Is this just done with royalty or is it a Spanish thing or something done in Europe? Or am I just out of it?

lallyvee said:
Is this just done with royalty or is it a Spanish thing or something done in Europe? Or am I just out of it?
It's very common here... my own godparents are my grandparents.

lallyvee said:

In Spain it is something very traditional, that the godfathers are the grandparents or the uncles of the babies. Now probably it is more common than it be also the friends of the parents, but traditionally they are members of the family, especially if it is the first baby.
For example, the godfathers of Letizia were her grandfather Francisco Rocasolano and her aunt Cristina Ortiz.

CP Fred and CP Mary of Denmark
CP Willem-Alex and CP Maxima of Netherlands
Felipe's sisters
Letizia's siblings

if you would think about lists they would add lists about baby's godparents
but needs polls for that!

Sara Boyce

For a catholic baby you may only have catholic godparents. I do not believe the danish CP couple would qualify.

grevinnan

So the godparents would probably be family members then.

Are they close to the Belgian royals? They are catholic as well as Luxembourg, Monaco, Portugal? So I suppose any of those members could possibly be godparents.

What about the Greek royal family? Family but not catholic I think they are Greek orthodox. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have created a poll as suggested by Sara. I added to the list names of possible Godparents regarding parenthood with the couple.

The poll will last for two months.

Please behave while discussing and, if in doubt, refer to the Posting Rules & Guidelines: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4920

If you, by whatever reason, wish to post a picture in this thread, please do so using image hosting sites as ImageShack or Photobucket, posts that doesn't follow this rule will be deleted by the Moderation team at their discretion without notice to the member.

If anybody else wants to have a poll created in a particular forum, the rules give out the way to go about it.

Have fun and happy posting!
Anna_R
TRF Super Moderator.

Last edited:
I vote for Ménchu!!! Go Ménchu,Go Ménchu,Go Ménchu!!! jejejejeeje.
0680.gif

Godparents in the SRF:

Letizia: Francisco Rocasolano, her maternal uncle and Cristina Ortiz, her paternal aunt.
Felipe: his paternal grandfather, Juan de Borbon, Count of Barcelona and his great-grandmother, Queen Victoria Eugenia.
Froilan: King Juan Carlos I of Spain and Countess Concepcion de Marichalar (his paternal grandmother)
Juan Valentín: Infanta Elena and his paternal uncle Mikel Urdangarin y Liebaert.
Victoria Federica: Prince Felipe and her paternal aunt Ana de Marichalar
Pablo Nicolás: Princess Alexia of Greece and Prince Kubrat of Bulgaria
Miguel: Prince Felipe and his paternal aunt Lucía Urdangarín
Irene: Pedro Lopez-Quesada and Princess Rosario of Bulgaria

~~**~~

Felipe is the Godfather of:

Maria de las Mercedes (daughter of his cousin Simoneta)
Victoria Federica (his niece)
Miguel (his nephew)
Prince Konstantine-Alexios of Greece (son of Pavlos & Marie-Chantal)
Princess Sofia of Bulgaria (daughter of Prince Konstantin and Princess Maria)
Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway (daughter of Haakon & Mette-Marit)
Luis Felipe Gomez-Acebo y Ponte (son of his cousin Beltrán Gomez-Acebo)

Last edited:
lapopdiva said:
I vote for Ménchu!!! Go Ménchu,Go Ménchu,Go Ménchu!!! jejejejeeje.
0680.gif
:D You made me laugh! :D

I bet the godfather will be King Juan Carlos. As regarding the godmother, I'm inclined to believe it will be Queen Sofia, but I guess you're right, Lapopdiva, Letizia's grandmother is highly probable... Go, Menchu, go!! :D

According to the voting thus far:

King Juan Carlos or Queen Sofia - 6 votes
Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín - 5 votes
Telma or Erika - 3 votes
Menchu del Valle - 2 votes

Taking from there, we can guess the following couple of godparents

King Juan Carlos & Infanta Cristina
Queen Sofia & Iñaki Urdangarín

But, looking at the godparents of KJC & QS, we can say that they all - except Irene, whose both godparents are friends of the Dukes of Palma - have as grandparents a family member. And it is always one from the maternal side and other from the paternal....

If the stakes for King Juan Carlos are so high - at least here in the forum - I guess we should really consider the possibility of Menchu as a godmother...

Last edited:
The truth is that it is not possible to know that the Princes will decide finally. An option that I have thought lately is that it might be the King and Paloma Rocasolano; the Queen and Jesus Ortiz were godfathers in the wedding, so they might be the godfathers of the first-born one.
If they look for a balanced, this option it might be a good option for all.

I think the godparents will be Willem-Alexander(he is very close with Felipe) or Máxima(as she is also catholic and friend of Leti)

My guess is The King and then Cristina or Elena. I think they will choose among Letizias family for a possible next child. I also think they will not choose Menchu becuase of her age, it would be good that the child has at least one godparent that would be around for many years to come.

Maxima would be a good choice.How many godparents will the baby have?

liv said:
How many godparents will the baby have?

Only two as this is the Catholic tradition.

liv said:
Maxima would be a good choice.How many godparents will the baby have?

The Catholics only have one godfather and one godmother, so with complete certainty they will be nearby members of the family.

Anna_R said:
I think that the baby's godmother will be Cristina. She's Felipe's sister and they are great friends;)

But curiously the Infanta Cristina chose the Prince as godfather of her third son, so because of it we cannot guide very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom