The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?
King Juan Carlos or Queen Sofia 51 33.12%
Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar 6 3.90%
Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín 39 25.32%
Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano 2 1.30%
Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother) 8 5.19%
Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents) 0 0%
Telma Ortiz or Erika Ortiz (Letizia's sisters) 18 11.69%
Members of another Royal Family (please specify) 26 16.88%
Other suggestion, please specify 4 2.60%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 04:07 AM
Aristocracy

Who is Senora Alvarez?
Thank you.
Linda 85

Old 10-14-2005, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda85
Who is Senora Alvarez?
Thank you.
Linda 85
She is the grandmother of the Princess Letizia

Old 10-14-2005, 04:53 AM
Nobility

I am sorry to ask this strange question but I am kind of ignorant about godparents.

Is it not better to pick younger godparents than older ones (no offence to King Juan Carlos or Senora Alvarez). What exactly is the role of a godparent?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
What exactly is the role of a godparent?
The godparents' basic duties are to serve as moral guidence do the child (then, an older person would be somehow better) and, on the other hand, to replace the parents, in case of their death or anything bad that happens to them (then, perhaps it makes more sense having younger godparents...). Essentially, for a Catholic, they are somebody who gives your hand and support, when entering the Church and its principles.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Aristocracy

Thank you Lula.
:Linda
Old 10-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
The godparents' basic duties are to serve as moral guidence do the child (then, an older person would be somehow better) and, on the other hand, to replace the parents, in case of their death or anything bad that happens to them (then, perhaps it makes more sense having younger godparents...). Essentially, for a Catholic, they are somebody who gives your hand and support, when entering the Church and its principles.
Thank You Elsa M.

So it would be better for them to choose one older and one younger.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

I think King Juan Carlos will be one of the godparents. As for the other one, I don't know... maybe Letizia's mother.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Courtier

I think either Pavlos or Nikos of Greece will be a God-father even though neither are Catholic. I also think Crown Princess Victoria might be on their list. Perhaps the protestants can be the "secondary" God parents after the Catholic God parents. I think the Catholic God parents might include Infanta Cristina, Crown Princess Maxima and probably someone from Letizia's friends/family.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
I think either Pavlos or Nikos of Greece will be a God-father even though neither are Catholic. I also think Crown Princess Victoria might be on their list. Perhaps the protestants can be the "secondary" God parents after the Catholic God parents. I think the Catholic God parents might include Infanta Cristina, Crown Princess Maxima and probably someone from Letizia's friends/family.
The baby gets only two godparents, a godmother and a godfather, just like in Belgium. That's why Felipe and Letizia will probably choose among their immediate family.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Courtier

I think that's a bit strange (although I recognize the tradition). I know many Spanish people who choose multiple God parents for their children. Usually it's no more than 3 or 4 people total and it just adds extra security and, in this case, an extra little diplomatic relation.:)
Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I really hope that Princess Victoria is one of the godparents, especially now that the baby is a girl. A new little future queen deserves guidance from someone in the same situation!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Prince of Wales
Prince William of Wales
Harry
Pavlos
Nikolus
The Duke of Edinbrough
Haakon and Mette Marit
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sophia
Frederik and Mary :)
Old 10-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Courtier

CP Felipe said in the press conference that the baptism will probably take place after Christmas.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

As the child is catholic the godparents must be as well! That rules out most of the suggested individuals.

grevinnan
Old 10-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ummm both of his Sisters her Sisters King Juan Carlos I And Queen Sophia maybe Albert II Of Monaco Or Albert II Of Belgium
Old 10-31-2005, 07:15 PM
Royal Highness

This baby, being the future Queen of Spain, should be with equally royal godparents. Victoria of Sweden and the Crown Prince of Norway are close to Felipe, so they are perfect for the job. The spanish royal family is also close to the Saudi Royals and the ones in Morroco, so if she has more than one set of god parents that could also be added to the mix. And to top it off, it would be great if the new Pope could stop by to do the baptism honors, being Spain one of the last of the great Catholic Kingdoms of the middle ages.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Ummm both of his Sisters her Sisters King Juan Carlos I And Queen Sophia maybe Albert II Of Monaco Or Albert II Of Belgium
I'm sorry but Albert of Monaco? He should be start by being a good parent before a godparent. But that's a whole different issue. I don't think Felipe and Letizia would like any controversy for the baptism like the recent one involving Prince Rezah of Iran when he was rumored to be the godfather of another royal child. I think Albert should stay out of this prestigious selection.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Courtier

They are Catholic--so, as has been said before, the godparents (only 2) must be Catholic--so most royals are out. The godparents will not be outside of their immediate families, of that I am sure.

I had heard Queen Sofia does not want to be godmother to any of her grandchildren, she just wants to be their grandmother.

I would agree with those who guess King Juan Carlos and "La Abuela" Menchu.

But then, they surprised us all with a girl and her name, so who knows?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Serene Highness

Are either Phillippe or Mathilde close to them?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Courtier

Maybe they'll go a different route and have the Hereditery Grand Duke, Guillaume of Luxembourg. Isn't he Prince Emmanuel of Belgium's godfather? Prince William is a godfather to Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece.