The baby's possible godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?

• King Juan Carlos or Queen Sofia

Votes: 51 33.3%
  • Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín

Votes: 39 25.5%
  • Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother)

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Telma Ortiz or Erika Ortiz (Letizia's sisters)

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Members of another Royal Family (please specify)

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • Other suggestion, please specify

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
linda85 said:
Who is Senora Alvarez?
Thank you.
Linda 85

She is the grandmother of the Princess Letizia

I am sorry to ask this strange question but I am kind of ignorant about godparents.

Is it not better to pick younger godparents than older ones (no offence to King Juan Carlos or Senora Alvarez). What exactly is the role of a godparent?

LadyS said:
What exactly is the role of a godparent?
The godparents' basic duties are to serve as moral guidence do the child (then, an older person would be somehow better) and, on the other hand, to replace the parents, in case of their death or anything bad that happens to them (then, perhaps it makes more sense having younger godparents...). Essentially, for a Catholic, they are somebody who gives your hand and support, when entering the Church and its principles.

Elsa M. said:
The godparents' basic duties are to serve as moral guidence do the child (then, an older person would be somehow better) and, on the other hand, to replace the parents, in case of their death or anything bad that happens to them (then, perhaps it makes more sense having younger godparents...). Essentially, for a Catholic, they are somebody who gives your hand and support, when entering the Church and its principles.

Thank You Elsa M.

So it would be better for them to choose one older and one younger.

I think King Juan Carlos will be one of the godparents. As for the other one, I don't know... maybe Letizia's mother.

I think either Pavlos or Nikos of Greece will be a God-father even though neither are Catholic. I also think Crown Princess Victoria might be on their list. Perhaps the protestants can be the "secondary" God parents after the Catholic God parents. I think the Catholic God parents might include Infanta Cristina, Crown Princess Maxima and probably someone from Letizia's friends/family.

SpiffyBallerina said:
I think either Pavlos or Nikos of Greece will be a God-father even though neither are Catholic. I also think Crown Princess Victoria might be on their list. Perhaps the protestants can be the "secondary" God parents after the Catholic God parents. I think the Catholic God parents might include Infanta Cristina, Crown Princess Maxima and probably someone from Letizia's friends/family.

The baby gets only two godparents, a godmother and a godfather, just like in Belgium. That's why Felipe and Letizia will probably choose among their immediate family.

I think that's a bit strange (although I recognize the tradition). I know many Spanish people who choose multiple God parents for their children. Usually it's no more than 3 or 4 people total and it just adds extra security and, in this case, an extra little diplomatic relation.:)

I really hope that Princess Victoria is one of the godparents, especially now that the baby is a girl. A new little future queen deserves guidance from someone in the same situation!

Prince of Wales
Prince William of Wales
Harry
Pavlos
Nikolus
The Duke of Edinbrough
Haakon and Mette Marit
King Juan Carlos
Queen Sophia
Frederik and Mary :)

CP Felipe said in the press conference that the baptism will probably take place after Christmas.

As the child is catholic the godparents must be as well! That rules out most of the suggested individuals.

grevinnan

Ummm both of his Sisters her Sisters King Juan Carlos I And Queen Sophia maybe Albert II Of Monaco Or Albert II Of Belgium

This baby, being the future Queen of Spain, should be with equally royal godparents. Victoria of Sweden and the Crown Prince of Norway are close to Felipe, so they are perfect for the job. The spanish royal family is also close to the Saudi Royals and the ones in Morroco, so if she has more than one set of god parents that could also be added to the mix. And to top it off, it would be great if the new Pope could stop by to do the baptism honors, being Spain one of the last of the great Catholic Kingdoms of the middle ages.

Last edited:
Royal Fan said:
Ummm both of his Sisters her Sisters King Juan Carlos I And Queen Sophia maybe Albert II Of Monaco Or Albert II Of Belgium

I'm sorry but Albert of Monaco? He should be start by being a good parent before a godparent. But that's a whole different issue. I don't think Felipe and Letizia would like any controversy for the baptism like the recent one involving Prince Rezah of Iran when he was rumored to be the godfather of another royal child. I think Albert should stay out of this prestigious selection.

They are Catholic--so, as has been said before, the godparents (only 2) must be Catholic--so most royals are out. The godparents will not be outside of their immediate families, of that I am sure.

I had heard Queen Sofia does not want to be godmother to any of her grandchildren, she just wants to be their grandmother.

I would agree with those who guess King Juan Carlos and "La Abuela" Menchu.

But then, they surprised us all with a girl and her name, so who knows?

Are either Phillippe or Mathilde close to them?

Maybe they'll go a different route and have the Hereditery Grand Duke, Guillaume of Luxembourg. Isn't he Prince Emmanuel of Belgium's godfather? Prince William is a godfather to Prince Constantine-Alexios of Greece.

In Europe What Royal Families are Protestant and which are Roman Catholic
I Agree it would be wonderful if the Pope Christened her and became her Godfather too hasnt that happened before

I think that the godparents will be the King and Infanta Elena.

Royal Fan said:
In Europe What Royal Families are Protestant and which are Roman Catholic

The only other Roman Catolic families that I'm aware of are the Belgian and the Monegasque families.

Other ruling Catholic families: Liechtenstein & Luxembourg
Non-rulig: France, Italy, Wurtemberg, Austria

I Think that the gosparents will be:
-Infanta Cristina
-Telma Ortiz
-Prince Willem-Alexander or Princess Máxima
-??

altagrace said:
Other ruling Catholic families: Liechtenstein & Luxembourg
Non-rulig: France, Italy, Wurtemberg, Austria

Thank you for the clarification altagrace!

Princess Maxima said:
I Think that the gosparents will be:
-Infanta Cristina
-Telma Ortiz
-Prince Willem-Alexander or Princess Máxima
-??

The baby will only have two godparents, a godfather and a godmother, as this is the Roman Catholic tradition.

And they'll probably be members of their immediate family, since it was like this with Felipe.

Godparenent is Mathilde de Belgium. She is the godparent of Dutch princess

Last edited by a moderator:
hope that they announce soon the godfathers and the date of the baptism, they are making wait. I am going to do a bet:p ... on the 7th or 14th January, and the godfathers the King and Thelma.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom