The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boni View Post

By the way, being a normal, hard working family without connections should not be considered baggage. I find other things are much worse baggage such as being involved with dishonest or shady business deals. When one looks at the family of some candidates to Princess of Asturias, one finds things that are not too far from the supposed blemishes in the Ortiz Rocasolano family: divorce, second marriages, etc. It is part of the lives of many families just that for some –aristocratic or common ones- these events have not been made into a soap opera for the profit of a few.
Hear! Hear!
Family of which other crown princess (aristocratic or not) has had to suffer this??
This is bad particularly when Thelma has gone out of her way not courting publicity. She didn't even live in the country, taking advantage of her sister's new connections. Yet she is treated abominably.

Not to mention little Carla. Blanking her face out when pics are published is meaningless. The trauma that the little girl faces when cameras are shoved in her face, must be big.

I am surprised that more spanish people are not against this harassment.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Boni, very well said. Right now, certain journalists are attacking Telma because they are afraid once Telma wins the case, it will set the precedence for others, the yellow press will start to loose some of their business and money.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Commoner

It is a sad turn of events, beyond all common sense and basic decency. Some have started to write against this type of "reporting." Perhaps, this is the beginning of a change.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Nobility

Quote:
By the way, being a normal, hard working family without connections should not be considered baggage. I find other things are much worse baggage such as being involved with dishonest or shady business deals. When one looks at the family of some candidates to Princess of Asturias, one finds things that are not too far from the supposed blemishes in the Ortiz Rocasolano family: divorce, second marriages, etc. It is part of the lives of many families just that for some –aristocratic or common ones- these events have not been made into a soap opera for the profit of a few.

I hope they will be given some relief.
I couldn't agree with this more, especially the part of being baggage. Not even late Diana's sisters were chased like this. I hope Telma wins the case so her family could all get some relief.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I did not mean "baggage" in a disrepectful way. Being divorced, having divorced parents, siblings with children out of wedlock or a person in the family suffering from depression is everyday life in "normal" families. Probably most families can tell such a story, no big deal, and nothing to be ashamed of. The problem only occurrs in connection with royalty. They are supposed to stand out, why would people want a monarch who is no different from themselves or suffers from the same ordinary problems? Royals are about being flawless and everything else can or even will do harm to the monarchy. This does not only apply to Spain but to any other country (Norway - MM, Britain - I don't think I have to explain etc). Queens like QE II or Sofia are towers of strenght for the institution and enjoy the respect and admiration of the public, not only because they are royals by birth but also because they are perfect ambassadors of what they stand for. The problem is - not only for Letizia - when a person from a commoner family with commoner issues becomes a CP or even Queen. It will be hard to gain respect or to convince people why they should follow a commoner-turned-royal with continuous problems interfering with the stability of monarchy, especially such a weak monarchy as the spanish one.

Therefore it made perfect sense that Queen Sofia would have preferred a royal bride for Felipe as this meant a better chance to avoid such bad headlines. I am sure they are horrified by the development and I wonder what Letizia is thinking. This situation is extremely stressful for her, on the one hand probably understanding what her sister is doing but on the other hand fearing that finally she will be blamed for possible harmful consequences for the monarchy.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Nobility

Princess of Asturias´sister will leaves Spain because she does not resist the harassment of the press.

EL OBSERVADOR ONLINE

Due to the constant harassment of the press of Spain, Telma Ortiz, Princess of Asturias´sister, requested formally to the Red Cross, an institution for which she works for several years, traveling to a destination outside Spain...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I did not mean "baggage" in a disrepectful way. Being divorced, having divorced parents, siblings with children out of wedlock or a person in the family suffering from depression is everyday life in "normal" families. Probably most families can tell such a story, no big deal, and nothing to be ashamed of. The problem only occurrs in connection with royalty. They are supposed to stand out, why would people want a monarch who is no different from themselves or suffers from the same ordinary problems? Royals are about being flawless and everything else can or even will do harm to the monarchy. This does not only apply to Spain but to any other country (Norway - MM, Britain - I don't think I have to explain etc). Queens like QE II or Sofia are towers of strenght for the institution and enjoy the respect and admiration of the public, not only because they are royals by birth but also because they are perfect ambassadors of what they stand for. The problem is - not only for Letizia - when a person from a commoner family with commoner issues becomes a CP or even Queen. It will be hard to gain respect or to convince people why they should follow a commoner-turned-royal with continuous problems interfering with the stability of monarchy, especially such a weak monarchy as the spanish one.

Therefore it made perfect sense that Queen Sofia would have preferred a royal bride for Felipe as this meant a better chance to avoid such bad headlines. I am sure they are horrified by the development and I wonder what Letizia is thinking. This situation is extremely stressful for her, on the one hand probably understanding what her sister is doing but on the other hand fearing that finally she will be blamed for possible harmful consequences for the monarchy.
Duke, I truly understand the point of view that you express in your post. I did not mean the comment on baggage as criticism but rather as an expression of my dismay at continuously seeing all the good points that Princess Letizia does have constantly overshadowed by those issues –constantly raised by a certain segment of the press. Certainly, there are political issues at play in all of this and sometimes if feels as if both Letizia and the Ortiz Rocasolano family are just the current target of choice in a bigger scheme.

It bothers me a bit -and this is a general comment, not in response to your post - because when one sees certain issues on people of noble or aristocratic background, they tend to be overlooked. Had Felipe married Maria Carolina de Borbon-Parma, would her parents’ divorce and her sister Margarita’s problems become a problem to the Royal House as an institution? Had Felipe married Fleur Wurttemberg, would the marriage of Fleur’s parents and her mother’s behavior become an issue? Had one of the Infantas married a son of Queen Beatrix, would the issues that Prince Claus faced even be mentioned when speaking about the groom?

If one starts seriously digging issues, we will often find things that are less than ideal in people’s backgrounds and lives. Perhaps, coming from a royal, aristocratic or noble background helps one achieve a certain kind of immunity –at least among those in the same milieu who will stick their neck out and support one of their own, which in Letizia’s case, she is not (among the upper classes).

A mountain can be made out of a molehill, especially, if there are certain interests at play. And in the case of certain “journalists,” a score to settle. Now the trend in some press is to portray Queen Sofia –who is a wonderful Queen and has all my loyalty, respect, and admiration not only as a Queen but even more important, as a human being - as the paragon of what a Queen is meant to be. She is. Then, these comments are made with something said to the effect that Letiza will not or cannot do. How interesting, where are the people who until not too long ago accused Queen Sofia of being cold, un-emotional (right word in English?), speaking English in the privacy of her home, of not getting along with her sisters-in-law Pilar and Margarita, being too close to her Greek family, etc. It is the same game, they have just found a different target.

Anyway, looooong post, just to say I wish the gutter press would leave this family alone. I feel that they crossed the line a long time ago and what they have done to this family is quite terrible.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Angry

It's really appalling to think that Telma feels she has to ask for a job transfer due to the hounding by the media. I'm sure when Letizia married Felipe she had no clue that her family would suffer and be harassed in this way, and she probably feels really badly that things have reached this point. This is a really, really sad turn of events.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Courtier

I couldn't agreed more,. the Spanish press is horrible, they think that they have the right to get into the princess Family life without any reasons, this yellow press is well paid in Spain and is soooooooooo disgusting.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
I couldn't agree with this more, especially the part of being baggage. Not even late Diana's sisters were chased like this. I hope Telma wins the case so her family could all get some relief.
I mentioned this before too. There is absolutely no place to harass the in-laws as the paparazzis in Spain did to the Ortiz Rocasolano family , not even the worst paparazzis in the world (the British paparazzis) did this to the Spencer family at the peak of Diana's years as the Princess of Wales. Then with the characters like Charles Spencer and Sarah Spencer, I don't think the Spencer family would have waited 4 long years to file a lawsuit.
I think Telma is set to win. I don't think the judge will allow taking pictures in a private garden, or having cameras on the top of a private citizen's head everywhere she goes, if Telmas loses, there won't be any justice in Spain . WA and Maxima had similar lawsuits before and they won even as public figures. Now the pink press is quite nervous. Some were attacking Telma, putting pressure on her and the royal house in hope of Telma withdrawing the case. According to them, the royal house had nothing to do with Telma's lawsuit. Telma's business hadn't been the royal house's business, I doubt Telma needed Zarzuela's permission to file a lawsuit.
I happen to think if Telma wins the case, it will take the Ortiz Rocasolano family out of the public eyes, in the long run, it not only benefits the Ortiz Rocasolano family, also the royal family as well. I don't think Zarzuela liked to see Paloma or her 90-year-old father being chased down the street, answering stupid questions all the time.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:41 AM
Serene Highness

Location: desde mi ventana veo gibraltar español,reino de espaÑa, Spain
La Monarquia

private life?
It is not member of the Royal Family, never will be it. the day that SAR Don Felipe de Borbón is proclaimed King of Spain under the name of Felipe VI , and for that reason her wife, Queen of Spain, Telma Ortiz will happen to be of the Family of the King, who nonRoyal Family

La Lengua acompañó al Imperio (Antonio de Nebrija)
The Language
accompanied to the Empire (Antonio de Nebrija)

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanprincipesasturi View Post
La Monarquia

private life?
It is not member of the Royal Family, never will be it. the day that SAR Don Felipe de Borbón is proclaimed King of Spain under the name of Felipe VI , and for that reason her wife, Queen of Spain, Telma Ortiz will happen to be of the Family of the King, who nonRoyal Family
Not, I don´t believe it. Nowadays the Family of the King, they are the nephews of the King, the children of the Infantas, and as much the children of the Infante Don Carlos. Family of the King is applied to the family of the King by link of blood, not to the family-in-law.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

I agree with you lula. Thelma was not born into this life. While I understand that some people may be interested in Letizia's family because Letizia is the future Queen, I think that the press takes it too far. Unlike many celebrities who are hounded by the media, Thelma has never willing put herself in the public eye. As far as I know the only "official" events she has been to are also personal ones like baptisms.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Serene Highness

same here. If you'll look at it, the Spanish press aren't that much interested in the lives of the Gomez-Acebo and Zurita families, nor with the Greek RF. the way they hound the Ortiz and Rocasolano families is intense, and if nobody stops them, chances are the press will only get bolder.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Not, I don´t believe it. Nowadays the Family of the King, they are the nephews of the King, the children of the Infantas, and as much the children of the Infante Don Carlos. Family of the King is applied to the family of the King by link of blood, not to the family-in-law.
That's right. Telma will not be a member of the King's family, that honor will belong to Elena and Cristina and their families when Felipe becomes King . All Telma wants is a similar press code WA and Maxima got in Netherland and Telma is a private citizen unlike the other two. Perhaps someone should advice the court to do some study on the Dutch case .
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well she is the princess sister and the sister of a future Queen??? What she wants anonymous? That's impossible and she should know that by now!!!She is not act in a correct way. She should colaborate with the press because that is her duty, if Letizia decideds to marry the future Queen of Spain her family is going to suffer the consequences.They were there when the little Infantas were born, they were there when they were baptize, Letizia's family were there so they are a part of Royal family now also, so it is very normal that the press want photos of them, if Telma doesn't want that she should renounce to that family and her sister and that is impossible to do!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Letizia married into the Royal Family, not Telma or anybody else.

They are private citizens and have a right to privacy.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

She has to accept a certain public interest but probably not being chased down the street by photographers which is highly unusual anyway. I don't believe any other sibling of a CP has to endure the same. All of them are being photographed, even on casual occasions, depending on the degree of interest of the magazine buyers. Telma's case has certainly gotten out of hand and they should reduce it to the "normal" media treatment that siblings of royals usually receive. Why there is so much interest in her life in Spain remains a mystery to me.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Why there is so much interest in her life in Spain remains a mystery to me.
Just because she is a woman, beauty, elegant, working for red cross, can be used for atack the princess, there are a lot of tv shows and magazines that need something to tell every day....
Spain don´t have any interest, the press is who make to someone in a celebrity.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Serene Highness

Location: desde mi ventana veo gibraltar español,reino de espaÑa, Spain
MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

It hardly happened one week ago. A well-known journalist of a Madrilenian newspaper was called by the Prince from Asturias to his house. He wanted to chat with on a recent trip in which they had agreed. The professional surprised one went to the residence of the Princes in the Zarzuela and maintained a conversation protocolic, but full of gestures of gift confidence Felipe. It seemed that the thing did not have major importance until, when they had been about 20 minutes, it appeared Letizia Ortiz “to salute” but it sat down with them.

MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

Telma Ortiz Rocasolano presented/displayed, through its legal representatives, in the Court of First Instance number of the 3 Toledos a request insisting to one thirty of mass media so that “they abstain to catch, to publish, to distribute, to spread, to emit or to reproduce by means some images or snapshots” hers or of its pair, Enrique Martin Llopis.
The citation, that was the past emitted 1 of April, agreed directly with the rejection of magistrada to the pretension of Ortiz and its fianc2e of that those measures were adopted without giving hearing to the parts, that is to say, and without listening to the version of the demanded ones.

La Lengua acompañó al Imperio (Antonio de Nebrija)
The Language
accompanied to the Empire (Antonio de Nebrija)