Telma Ortiz's Case Against the Paparazzi Press: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think that she is getting mucht more attention with this and I think that she now she should be worry about her baby and maybe if she stays out of the spotlight the press will leave her alone.

I also think that she is getting mucht more attention with this and I think that she now she should be worry about her baby and maybe if she stays out of the spotlight the press will leave her alone.

But the press follows her around everywhere. How do you suggest she stay out of the spotlights then if she's followed everywhere she goes?

I think the press has left Telma alone for a while now!

I think the press has left Telma alone for a while now!

Hopefully the press leaves her and the rest of Ortiz Rocasolano alone for good, not just during the lawsuit. Most people don't miss seeing them anyway.

The case "Telma Ortiz against the Spanish mass media", her fight to be recognized as "private person" will go into the next round on Oct 14th in Toledo.

For some time, Telma or her family have not been in the media focus at all. It is not clear whether she is still in Spain or has left the country.

Vanitatis.com - El regreso de Telma Ortiz y su recurso

Hopefully the press leaves her and the rest of Ortiz Rocasolano alone for good, not just during the lawsuit. Most people don't miss seeing them anyway.

Well I have absolutely no interest in them and I can´t understand anyone else being interested up to the point of buying a paper or magazine to read about them. Boring. :whistling:

Thelma loses her appeal against dismission of her case against the Spanish mass media (she claimed to be a "private person" not allowing her picture to be taken or distributed unless on occasions involving her royal sister) . Not sure if it ends here or if she will go to the European court.

Vanitatis.com - Telma pierde su batalla contra la prensa

I suppose it means if she just keeps out of the limelight for a while the press will lose interest, if she presses forward with this suit then they will take photos of her all the time. Why doesn´t she keep a low profile and keep away from places where she will know that she will be seen. She is only the sister of the Princess, not really important at all and to most people not very interesting.

I suppose it means if she just keeps out of the limelight for a while the press will lose interest, if she presses forward with this suit then they will take photos of her all the time. Why doesn´t she keep a low profile and keep away from places where she will know that she will be seen. She is only the sister of the Princess, not really important at all and to most people not very interesting.

The problem only occured in Spain and Telma has allegedly left the country with her family to live in peace. She did keep a low profile in Spain but for some reason it did not work out, the press did not leave her alone and it is likely that with a lost court case the harrassment would continue in case Telma decided to come back and live in Spain again.

The Spanish magazines are terrible, I read a lot of them and they write the most terrible things about people in the news, I don´t know what kind of libel laws they have but when I want a good laugh I buy either "Secret" or another that has a name something like it but I can´t remember, they are all as bad as each other and must make any celebrity in Spain shiver in their boots...... Hola is the most innocent of the lot, only write more or less nice things.... The others are terrible.

I understand everyone want privacy but all this "they don't leave me alone!" story seems nothing more than a spoiled claim from Thelma...
Iñaki Urdangarin and Jaime Marichallar have brothers and sisters, and they live in Spain without anyone notice them.

True, there must be some reason they go after Thelma, she must be giving them some reason for this?
I have always found the whole Ortiz family particularly lacking in interest.

I understand everyone want privacy but all this "they don't leave me alone!" story seems nothing more than a spoiled claim from Thelma...
Iñaki Urdangarin and Jaime Marichallar have brothers and sisters, and they live in Spain without anyone notice them.

Well just playing the devil's advocate.

Jamie and Inaki's siblings are not married to the future King of Spain. And unfortunately for Telma women tend to make more interesting stories in regards to tabloid magazines. She is young, beautiful, leaving an exciting life (or at least to some..I guess it depends on your own personal perference).

In regards to her case, while it does appear to be a stretch..it should be remembered that Telma is a private person. She doesn't act on behalf nor is she a member of the Spanish Royal Family. In addition, while Letizia and Felipe (even Jamie and Inaki) have things that are written about them. They have the power and the means to do something about it. IMO Telma doesn't. I mean, when is it okay to write anything and everything about a private individual.

I do not know if the attorney of Thelma has raised it badly, or if the judges had afraid to giving a resolution that they knew it was going to be very polemic. But it is an injustice.

A few weeks ago Gonzalo Miro won a demand because a television had emitted images of his private life. Gonzalo Miro is a son of Pilar Miro a famous director of cinema and therefore known since he was born, is employed at the television (speaking of the private life of others), goes to parties and is a boyfriend of the daughter of the Duchess of Alba.

This one is a part of the judgment...

Los noviazgos, a salvo del corazón · ELPAÍS.com

"A court concludes that to emit images of the personal life of the famous ones commits an outrage against their right of the intimacy, though they are taken in public places"

" It does not fit doubt that the affective and sentimental relations of the persons belong to the area deprived of the same ones, without they lose this character the possible relations that they could begin between persons with public projection, since this one does not eliminate their right to the intimacy ". " If such persons decide to support these relations to the margin of the public knowledge "

The lesson from Telma's case:
If you want be private person and you want it for your family never married a royal special a future ruler.

I don't think that the Spanish press simply forget about Telma. She is the only living sister of the future Spanish Queen. That's her curse.

The lesson from Telma's case:
If you want be private person and you want it for your family never married a royal special a future ruler.

Easy for you to say. Maybe you can try telling that to a family friend over coffee.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
i find it all a bit exhagerated. there really seemed to be no problem when using VIP lounges in airports or other sorts of especial treatment :)

i trust the judges did what was expected.

Telma will have to pay for the whole thing, given she lost and there is no further level of jurisdiction in Spain for her to turn to. Maybe she will go to Luxembourg, nobody knows. Her whereabouts are unknown.

Vanitatis.com - El precio de la aventura judicial de Telma

Overall I believe Telma has a point but the issue was raised badly. There is no point in lumping all parts of the media together and trying to knock them over in their entirety like a tank by contradicting any coverage now and forevermore unless there is a connection to Letizia.

I agree with carlota, despite Telma's low profile she was never shy at using the advantages that came along with the royal life of her sister (eg appearing in great style at royal occasions, wearing Varela's designs, clearly provided by Letizia or casa real). If she's asking for such extreme measures to be taken on the one hand, she should consider taking the same extreme measures on the other hand as well - and avoid any visible connection or special treatment related to Letizia the Princess, such as being driven in the Princes' car to her grandmother's funeral, being allowed a backdoor entrance at Toledo court or allowing the Princes to express their sympathy for the court case when talking to journalists on informal occasions.

Duke, I think the VIP lounge mentioned by Carlota was right after the death of Erika. If the paparazzis hadn't been harrassing Telma, she would not have to hide in the VIP lounge. I had seen footages of Telma at the airport before Erika's death, she was like any other regular passenger waiting at the line to check in. As I know, the only time she and Erika used Varela's design was at the wedding of the Princes, at the baptisms of their nieces, both wore their own clothes. You pretty much can spend 1/3 of the money to buy the same quality clothes as Varela's. Paloma and the late grandma (she probably had a hard time to buy formal clothes because of her shape) were the ones wearing Varela's clothes at the baptism of Leonor or Sofia, neither was complaining about the press.
The Spanish courts simply can't handle such a general case sueing against all the tabloids. Telma would have a better chance to win if she had sued a particular media outlet.

allowing the Princes to express their sympathy for the court case when talking to journalists on informal occasions.

when did the princes comment on the case? i would have thought they wanted to stay out of this.

i find it all a bit exhagerated. there really seemed to be no problem when using VIP lounges in airports or other sorts of especial treatment :)

i trust the judges did what was expected.

That's right, IMO. Thelma also had a special treatment at the hospital when she gave birth to her daughter.

I never thought Thelma was being harrassed by the media. The only thing they said about her was that she was dating Prince Albert of Monaco, and later they said Felipe's old friend was her new boyfriend.

She spends most of her time outside Spain, so it's difficult to understand why she complains so much.
You don't see Mathilde's sister complaining like this.

I never thought Thelma was being harrassed by the media. The only thing they said about her was that she was dating Prince Albert of Monaco, and later they said Felipe's old friend was her new boyfriend.

She spends most of her time outside Spain, so it's difficult to understand why she complains so much.
You don't see Mathilde's sister complaining like this.

The photographers did chase her down the streets whenever she stepped out of her house during the few months she spent in Spain. They even took pictures of her at her grandma's garden. That's pretty much unheard of in other countries, not even the British paparazzis harrassed Diana's parents or siblings on their daily life. Diana, Letizia or Mathilde was/is the one who chose to marry their prince, not their parents or siblings. It seems that the Spainsh paparazzis were the only ones out there who didn't understand or didn't want to.
Anyway, the good thing out of this lawsuit is that the press no longer harasses Letizia's mother or grandpa during their daily life, that's already a 'win' for Telma IMO.

The photographers did chase her down the streets whenever she stepped out of her house during the few months she spent in Spain. They even took pictures of her at her grandma's garden. That's pretty much unheard of in other countries, not even the British paparazzis harrassed Diana's parents or siblings on their daily life. Diana, Letizia or Mathilde was/is the one who chose to marry their prince, not their parents or siblings. It seems that the Spainsh paparazzis were the only ones out there who didn't understand or didn't want to.
Anyway, the good thing out of this lawsuit is that the press no longer harasses Letizia's mother or grandpa during their daily life, that's already a 'win' for Telma IMO.

I couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom